Israeli forces storm Gaza aid ship

Hudda

while the world leaders provide lip service, what can the average people like us do apart from making duaa?

:salam2:Let us all the family in TTI make a collective Dua whole heartly to Allah azajwajal to help the people of Gaza and the people on board the humanitarian ships. I condemn all the muslim nations for doing nothing for our fellow brothers and sisters. Oh Allah forgive our sins and accept our dua, Please help us. :tti_sister::tti_sister::tti_sister::tti_sister:

Abu Talib

Feeling low
May 31, 2010

The Elders, a group of retired global leaders have joined the UN, EU, and international leaders in condemning the Israeli forces' raid on a ship delivering relief supplies to Gaza.

Speaking on behalf of the Elders, Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu said: "We as elders condemn Israel utterly for this attack. The actions of the Israelis is inexcusable," said Tutu.

He was speaking at the conclusion of a meeting of the group which was formed in 2008 to highlight humanitarian issues. Members include former UN secretary general Kofi Annan, Nelson Mandela, and former US president Jimmy Carter.

Reading a statement, Tutu said the Elders wanted an urgent investigation into the "tragic incident" after Israeli forces boarded the Mavi Marmara as it sailed with a flotilla to Gaza.

He said it should draw the world's attention to the "terrible suffering of Gaza's 1.5 million people, half of whom are children under the age of 18".

The Elders consider Israel's blockage of Gaza illegal collective punishment of its inhabitants and said it was also counterproductive.

"This is because it creates unacceptable suffering, in the process empowering extremists and undermining moderate forces in Gaza", they said.

On Monday morning Israeli forces boarded one of the ships which was violating Israel's blockade on certain goods entering the contested area. Israel warned last week that it would arrest those on board.

News reports said that at least 10 people were killed.

The Israeli Defence Force has said that they had tried to intercept the ships to search them, but were then fired on and attacked with knives and clubs.

Israel's allies have frozen military ties and summoned its ambassadors today over the storming of the aid flotilla bound for Gaza, as Muslim leaders slammed the deadly raid as "criminal" and "inhuman".

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he was "shocked" by the Israeli navy's assault on a convoy carrying hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists, lawmakers and journalists through international waters towards besieged Gaza.

Ban called on Israel to "urgently" explain itself over the raid, which Israel's Channel 10 TV left 19 passengers killed and 36 wounded, many of them Turks.

Israel's closest ally Washington described the loss of life as a "tragedy," on the eve of talks between President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

"The United States deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained and is currently working to understand the circumstances surrounding this tragedy," a White House spokesman said.

As the Vatican voiced "deep sadness and concern" and Middle East peace envoy Tony Blair expressed "deep regret and shock" at the loss of life, capitals across Europe summoned Israel's ambassadors to explain the assault.

Ankara responded with fury, recalling its ambassador from Tel Aviv and warning the assault would have "irreparable consequences" to bilateral ties.

Turkish police held back angry crowds shouting "Damn Israel" outside Israel's missions to the country, as Turkey accused Israel of a "flagrant breach of international law," and "disregard for human life and peaceful initiatives."

Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc also said plans for three joint military exercises with Israel had been scrapped.

Greece, which had dozens of nationals in the convoy, pulled out of joint military exercises with Israel and cancelled a visit by its air force chief, as an aid group claimed that commandos in helicopters had fired on a Greek vessel.

Israel said its troops were attacked after they stormed six ships loaded with thousands of tonnes of aid and with hundreds of activists aboard, and that both sides used live fire.

Muslim leaders united in condemning what Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas called a "massacre" and Arab League chief Amr Mussa said was a "crime."

Hamas, which rules Gaza, urged world Muslims to "rise up" in protest, as Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad denounced the raid as "inhuman Zionist regime action."

Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council, which his country currently chairs.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani "strongly condemned" the attack on a "peaceful flotilla," as politicians, lawmakers and journalists staged a peaceful protest in Islamabad against Israel.

Egypt condemned the "acts of killing" by Israel forces while Kuwait's parliament speaker said the storming of the flotilla, which was carrying 16 Kuwaitis including an MP, was a "heinous Israeli crime."

And Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, said "there was no basis" for Israel's assault.

In Europe, condemnation was equally swift.

The European Union foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton demanded Israel mount a "full inquiry," as member states ordered an emergency meeting of their ambassadors to the EU.

Spain -- the current European Union president -- France, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria and Greece summoned Israel's respective ambassadors, with Madrid slamming the operation as "unacceptable".

France's President Nicolas Sarkozy accused Israel of a "disproportionate use of force."

Germany's Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said he was "deeply concerned" about the deaths, while Italy's Foreign Minister Franco Frattini "deplored" the loss of civilian life.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague similarly deplored the loss of life, saying Israel must "act with restraint" -- but also said London had warned of the risks of attempting to access Gaza in defiance of the blockade.

Thousands of Palestinian refugees and activists demonstrated across Lebanon to denounce the raid, some chanting slogans like "Give us weapons, give us weapons and send us on to Gaza."

Maen Bashur, a Lebanese coordinator for the mission, said activists considered those seized on board the ship as "war prisoners".

A Cyprus MEP Kyriacos Triantafyllides, who was involved with the mission, said activists had "expected a strong reaction from Israel, but nobody believed it would come to this point, where they would face something akin to an invading army."

South Africa's department of international relations said: "South Africa accordingly strongly condemns this action which reportedly took place in international waters, 65km off the coast of Gaza, in the early hours of Monday 31, May 2010."

The department added that the convoy, reportedly carrying 10,000 tonnes of aid, was a peaceful mission and the ships were not armed.

"For Israel to attack these civilian ships in international water is a gross violation of international law and is deserving of the highest level of international condemnation."

alf2

Islam is a way of life
What must happen before someone saves Palestine?
If this was reversed, and it was Palestine opressing the jews, something would have been done long ago.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
International campaign preparing new aid flotilla to Gaza

[ 31/05/2010 - 04:31 PM ]

LONDON, (PIC)-- Majed Al-Zeer, the director general of the Palestinian return center, has revealed that the international campaign to end the siege on Gaza has started preparing a new aid flotilla to Gaza Strip that would sail within six weeks.

Zeer said in a press release on Monday on the sidelines of a massive demonstration in London protesting the Israeli attack on the freedom Flotilla that left dozens killed and wounded that the protestors wanted the world to know what the Israelis had done against unarmed solidarity activists.

He added that contacts are underway with European governments over the incident, adding that the international alliance would continue to expose the Israeli aggression before the entire world.

Thousands of Palestinians, Muslims, and foreigners had gathered in front of the British government premises in London to protest the Israeli bloody attack on the flotilla ships at international waters.

Participants hoisted Palestinian flags and placards denouncing the Israeli aggression.

http://www.palestine-info.co.uk/en/...YDGZDc4BaT09pl2Dksp32BaS5KUeIUNMD6zrFtnEkBvQ=

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
A group of Arab and foreigner Hackers, Turkish, Algerian and Moroccan waged a massive attack against Zionist websites, many websites destroyed.

These attacks expressed the huge anger by Intentional world, Arabs and foreigners and show the real solidarity with the besieged people of Gaza.
Haaretz , the Zionist magazine mentioned that banners against Zionism and flags of Turkey and Palestine posted on the attacked websites.

These are the pictures and banners posted by Hackers :

e2f0a49d9192aad55d05a8e87eb99e8e.jpg

1(125).jpg

2(104).jpg

3(98).jpg

5(85).jpg

6(77).jpg

7(68).jpg

8(49).jpg

9(46).jpg

dilek

OntheWayOf ALLAH
I cant stop my tears :( :( I cant watch the news .. everything is terrible ! why we cant stop this evil Israel ! Where are all these Ummah?
When I want to listen even a nasheed "sanakhudu" , everybody can easily name me as terrorist but what about this ! Is this humanity !

sis khadidja

proud to be muslim
:salam2: this is so sad fo me my uncle and my cousin my uncle is 42 and my cousin is 18 my uncle is a doctor part of the free palestine this is an organisation to send food and other aid to gaza my cousin studyin to be a journalist went with his father i dont know if they were on the fotilla but all i know they left with one of the ships from turkey we are still wating to hear news my dads gone to france hopeing he can get a flight to turkey inshallah my grandmothers in a right state so is my uncles wife and his other kids even me
i cant stop crying so can you all please make dua for him and all the people of gaza inshallah the jewish will die for all the suffrin they have bought to the muslims
:tti_sister::tti_sister:

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Humanitarian Crisis in the Gaza Strip ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMEU, MAY 31, 2010

The Facts Behind Israel's "Gourmet Gaza" Claims

Israel's attacks on a humanitarian aid flotilla bound for the Gaza Strip which left at least 14 civilians dead and dozens more wounded have sparked massive international protests, harsh condemnation from world governments and an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council. What led hundreds of civilians from dozens of countries - including former U.S. diplomats and military personnel and 19 European legislators - to risk their lives on the high seas?

The IMEU offers the following facts and figures on Israel's blockade and how, after more than 1,000 days, it has affected life for the roughly 1.5 million Palestinians in Gaza:

1. Is Israel's blockade of Gaza legal?

No. The stated aim of Israel's blockade is to apply "pressure" or "sanctions" to weaken the economy of Gaza and decrease support for Hamas. [1] This amounts to collective punishment of Gaza's civilians, and as such is a violation of international humanitarian law (Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949). Further, as an occupying power, Israel is required under Articles 55, 59 and 60 of the Fourth Geneva Convention to ensure free, unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief and is prohibited from impeding the full realization of the occupied people's human rights. Israel's blockade impedes Gazans' rights to food, to an adequate standard of living, to work, and to the highest attainable standard of health.

2. Israel claims that it allows necessary humanitarian provisions to enter Gaza. Is this true?

No. The amount of goods allowed into Gaza by Israel falls far short of the minimum required to avoid malnutrition, poverty, and prevent or treat a variety of illnesses. According to Amnesty International's recently-released annual report, the siege has resulted in "mass unemployment, extreme poverty, food insecurity and food price rises caused by shortages." Consider the following statistics:

61 percent of households face food insecurity, defined as inadequate physical, social or economic access to food, and rely on assistance from aid agencies. An additional 16.2 percent are considered vulnerable to food insecurity. [2]

65 percent of the food insecure are children under the age of 18. [3]

Unemployment is at 40 percent [4]

10 percent of children under five are stunted (low height for age, usually attributed to a chronic lack of protein and micronutrients, including iron and essential vitamins), a steadily increasing trend over recent years, according to UNICEF. [5]

More than 10 percent of children are chronically malnourished, according to the World Health Organization, a significant increase since siege began.

The number of children under five suffering from acute malnutrition nearly doubled between 2006 and 2008 from 1.4 to 2.4 percent, according to UNICEF.

65 percent of children aged 9-12 months, and 35 percent of pregnant women are anemic. [6]

According to a recent poverty survey conducted by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, the number of Palestinian refugees completely unable to secure access to food and lacking the means to purchase even the most basic items, such as soap, school stationary and safe drinking water ('abject poverty') has tripled since the imposition of the blockade in June 2007

A majority of Gazans experience rolling blackouts of up to 12 hours a day, every day as a result of a chronic shortfall in electricity production resulting from the blockade [7]

Due to insufficient wastewater treatment capacity, Gaza's water authorities release 60-80 million liters a day of raw and partially treated sewage into the Mediterranean Sea, in order to avoid sewage flooding residential areas.

Water supply for domestic use is insufficient, raising hygiene and health concerns. In order to pump water to households, the water wells must receive electricity in synchronization with electricity supply to the same households. Almost all the households receive water for only 5-7 hours a day.

3. Does the blockade prevent the functioning of Gaza's economy?

Yes. Export of Palestinian goods, the import of raw materials and access to Gaza's natural resources have been severely restricted. For example:

Roughly 118 truckloads of strawberries and cut flowers exports were permitted to leave Gaza between December 10, 2009 and May 2010. Before the blockade, an average of 70 truckloads a day left Gaza during strawberry season. [8]

Since January 2009, the Israeli navy has illegally restricted Palestinian fishermen's access to three nautical miles offshore, yet in practice Israel often limits fishermen to only two nautical miles, reducing their catch by 47 percent. [9]

46 percent of Gaza's agricultural land is inaccessible or out of production either due to destruction of lands caused by Israeli military attacks or by its "security buffer zone." [10]

Roughly 90 percent of Gaza's factories are closed or are functioning at less than 10 percent capacity because of the inability to obtain raw materials and the inability to export finished products [11].

The Israeli human rights organization Gisha provides the following example of how the blockade aims to prevent economic development: "Israel permits Gaza residents to receive small packets of margarine, considered a consumption item. Israel bans, however, the transfer of large buckets of margarine, because the buckets are designed for industrial use, rather than home consumption, meaning that they could be used to allow a local factory to produce biscuits - and thus engage in economic activity. Similarly, requests to permit empty cans into Gaza - intended for the preservation and marketing of Gaza-produced tomato paste - have been refused, but requests to transfer prepared, Israeli-made tomato paste are permitted." [12]

4. What are some of the items Israel has prohibited from entering Gaza?

sage

cardamom

cumin

coriander

ginger

jam

halva

vinegar

nutmeg

chocolate

fruit preserves

seeds and nuts

biscuits and sweets

potato chips

gas for soft drinks

dried fruit

fresh meat

plaster

tar

wood for construction

cement

iron

glucose

industrial salt

plastic/glass/metal containers

industrial margarine

tarpaulin sheets for huts

fabric (for clothing)

flavor and smell enhancers

fishing rods

various fishing nets

buoys

ropes for fishing

nylon nets for greenhouses

hatcheries and spare parts for hatcheries

spare parts for tractors

dairies for cowsheds

irrigation pipe systems

ropes to tie greenhouses

planters for saplings

heaters for chicken farms

musical instruments

size A4 paper

writing implements

notebooks

newspapers

toys

razors

sewing machines and spare parts

heaters

horses

donkeys

goats

cattle

chicks [13]

[1] Gisha. Restrictions on the transfer of goods to Gaza: Obstruction and obfuscation, January 2010

[2] Farming without Land, Fishing without Water: Gaza Agriculture Sector Struggles to Survive, FAO, May 2010

[3] Ibid

[4] Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, 2009

[5] IRIN. OPT: Signs of worsening malnutrition among children, April 2009

[6] Ibid.

[7] OCHA. The Humanitarian Monitor, April 2010

[8] Farming without Land, Fishing without Water: Gaza Agriculture Sector Struggles to Survive, FAO, May 2010

[9] Ibid.

[10] Ibid.

[11] Gisha. Restrictions on the transfer of goods to Gaza: Obstruction and obfuscation, January 2010

[12] Ibid.

[13] Gisha. Partial List of Items Prohibited/Permitted into the Gaza Strip. May 2010.

"The following list is approximate and partial, and it changes from time to time. It is based on information from Palestinian traders and businesspersons, international organizations, and the Palestinian Coordination Committee, all of whom "deduce" what is permitted and what is banned based on their experience requesting permission to bring goods into Gaza and the answers they receive from the Israeli authorities (approved or denied). It is not possible to verify this list with the Israeli authorities because they refuse to disclose information regarding the restrictions on transferring goods into Gaza. It should be noted that Israel permits some of the "prohibited" items into Gaza (for example: paper, biscuits, and chocolate), on the condition that they are for the use of international organizations, while requests from private merchants to purchase them are denied. For more information, see: Gisha, Restrictions on the Transfer of Goods into Gaza: Obstruction and Obfuscation, January 2010

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua'laykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

At this moment, I pray to Allaah, may He grant an abundance of strengths, tawakkal and a peace of mind to our brave brothers and sisters heading on their way to Gaza. Ameen.

It was in the front page of today's local newspaper about a Turkish female with her baby who were released from the Israelis capture.

One thing that made me curious is, why is there a baby on board? Why are they taking along their babies in this life-or-death journey to bring aids to Gaza? Im sorry if Im not much aware of the real stories. Do enlighten me a little.

And one news that I read in the newspaper, a Palestinian brother who happens to live (I think he studies here, in Malaysia), did some "brave" act in front of the USA embassy by slashing his body with a knife. Not really an intelligent action, isnt it? Im sure there are a lot more better, useful things we can do than hurting oneself.

And yes, as always, our leaders cant do much other than criticising what the Israelis are doing.

In the meantime, brothers and sisters, lets keep making dua'a even until we have no energy left, make dua'a and supplicate qunoot nazilah. InshaAllaah, one day, Palestine will be ours again. Ameen Ameen Ameen.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

dilek

OntheWayOf ALLAH
Assalamua'laykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

It was in the front page of today's local newspaper about a Turkish female with her baby who were released from the Israelis capture.

One thing that made me curious is, why is there a baby on board? Why are they taking along their babies in this life-or-death journey to bring aids to Gaza? Im sorry if Im not much aware of the real stories. Do enlighten me a little.

Wa alaykum salam

You are very right in that point.. Our channels also critisized about that subject.. The lady said her husband was one of the crews there therefore he took both his kid and wife with him.. However this explaination didnt make any of us satisfied and still it seems illogical ..

mezeren

Wa alaykum salam

You are very right in that point.. Our channels also critisized about that subject.. The lady said her husband was one of the crews there therefore he took both his kid and wife with him.. However this explaination didnt make any of us satisfied and still it seems illogical ..

:salam2:

The mother said when she came back to Turkey with her child that "there are mothers in Gaza just like me and children just like my child.We had toys for the children of Gaza and we wanted our child play with the children of Gaza".

i could say nothing negative but have respect for this noble thought.there were other crews on the ships but with no family as far as i know and it takes courage,faith and determination for that.i salute them.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
45 Flotilla activists released from Israeli detention

Wednesday June 02, 2010 01:25 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC & Agencies

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that Israel will release and deport the 620 peace activists who were arrested after Israel's violent raid on the Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla. Several of the detainees, all of whom signed voluntary deportation orders, were deported to their country of origin Tuesday. Huwaida Arraf, a Palestinian-American activist, was beaten and left on the side of a road in Israel.

18 lawyers met with 240 of the detained flotilla activists in Ela Prison in Be'er Sheva Tuesday.
Because of the Israeli government's censure of communication with the detained activists, the exact number of those killed, and their names and nationalities, is still unknown. Estimates lists between nine and 19 activists are killed and as many as 60 injured Monday's violent raid.

Ynet News reported that Netanyahu made the decision to release the activists after a meeting with his National Security Cabinet and consultations with Defense Minister Ehud Barak, Justice Minister Yaakov Na’eman, and Interior Minister Eli Yishai.

The decision was made in the face of increasing international pressure and outrage against the deadly attack on the Flotilla.

The move was considered as an act of political damage control affected by the international outrage and condemnations.
Most of the will be deported via the Ben-Gurion Airport.

The Israeli Interior Ministry said that nearly 124 Arab detainees will be deported to Jordan. 45 other activists have already been deported.

According to Israeli media sources, the decision was not unanimous and some ministers said that Turkey should not be allowed to send its planes to transport the injured to Istanbul, while several other ministers argued that forcing the planes to return empty would cause further tension.

Yitzhak Aharonovitch, Israel's Minister of Internal Security, demanded that Israel not release any activists who "attacked Israeli soldiers".

He said that Israel must imprison and prosecute 15% of the 620 detained Flotilla activists.
At his urging, the Israeli cabinet agreed to prosecute those who “appeared to attack the soldiers in the video footage.”

In related news, the White House expressed support for the UN Security Council resolution to conduct an investigation into the attack against the ship, and that this investigation should include international participation.

However, the United States did not issue any statement condemning the Israeli Army for the deadly attack.

According to a list published by the Israeli Interior Minister, the activists are from the following countries:
Australia, 3, Azerbaijan, 2, Ireland, 9, Indonesia, 12, Algeria, 28, Italy, 5, Ireland, 9, Bosnia, 1, United States, 11, Bulgaria, 2, Belgium, 5, Bahrain, 4, South Africa, 1, United Kingdom, 31, Holland, 2, Germany, 11, Yemen, 4, Macedonia, 3,Greece, 38, Kuwait, 15, Jordan, 30, Malaysia, 11, Mauritania, 3, Lebanon 3, Egypt, 3, Syria, 3, Morocco, 7, Norway, 3, Pakistan, 3, Kosovo, 1, Serbia, 1, New Zealand, 1, Pakistan, 3, Oman, 1, France 4, Sweden, 11, Canada, 1, Czech Republic, 4, Turkey, 380.

The bodies of the activists who were killed by the Israeli army are still at the Abu Kabir Institute of Forensic Medicine, Ynet reported. The bodies have not yet been identified.

http://www.imemc.org/article/58829

FreedomFighter

A group of Arab and foreigner Hackers, Turkish, Algerian and Moroccan waged a massive attack against Zionist websites, many websites destroyed.

These attacks expressed the huge anger by Intentional world, Arabs and foreigners and show the real solidarity with the besieged people of Gaza.
Haaretz , the Zionist magazine mentioned that banners against Zionism and flags of Turkey and Palestine posted on the attacked websites.

6(77).jpg

7(68).jpg

:wasalam:

They are not going to do anything. Right now maybe there is not enough power to do anything, or the power is not in use, potential power. Which is true though. There is so much we can do. But if not big, then something that is definite. I feel that at least countries like Turkey become allies with other anti-terrorist (israel) countries, that way they can give a warning that should take into effect. To show them, we are serious, if you're going to attack us or stop those aid ship, then do not be suprised of its consequences. We have to be tough to criminals like israel, show them that we're not simply going to allow them to do what they want and then use some foolish and illogical excuse!

As for the hackers, great job :ma: Terrorists are asking for it, and they don't deserve to have a platform because they love to distort the truth and lie, and label innocent people as terrorists. One thing I noticed and I don't know if others did too, is the hacker's message to israel. It says, fight with every country but don't fight Turkey. Really fight any country? We are all supposed to be in unity, fighting one Muslim country is like fighting all of us. And then the other image down, where are the Muslims?? The terrorists are killing them. If we are united, we are stronger. And we are stronger if we put Islam first before the interest in nationalism.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
MV Rachel Corrie passenger list

Published Saturday 05/06/2010 (updated) 05/06/2010 15:46

Passengers aboard the merchant vessel Rachel Corrie:

Ahmed Faizal bin Azumu, human rights worker, Malaysia
Matthias Chang, attorney, author and human rights worker, Malaysia
Derek Graham, Free Gaza Ireland
Jenny Graham, Free Gaza Ireland
Denis Halliday, former UN assistant secretary-general, Ireland
Mohd Jufri Bin Mohd Judin, journalist, Malaysia
Shamsul Akmar Musa Kamal, PGPO representative, Malaysia
Mairead Maguire, Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Ireland
Abdul Halim Bin Mohamed, journalist, Malaysia
Fiona Thompson, filmmaker, Ireland
The Hon. Mohd Nizar Zakaria, Parit Member of Parliament, Malaysia

---------------------------------------------------------
On board the Freedom Flotilla - Passenger List

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=288862

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Israel's attack on Flotilla violates international law
Jinan Bastaki

7 June 2010

In the aftermath of Israel's 31 May attack on the Freedom Flotilla that left nine dead and scores wounded, each side claimed their actions were protected under international law. While the Israelis cited self-defense, and the Flotilla passengers reiterated that they were peace activists on a humanitarian mission that were attacked in international waters where neither Israel (nor any other state) has any claim. This has caused some confusion, especially in light of the extensive airtime given to Israeli officials by most mainstream media outlets. However, it must be known that under established rules of international law, Israel had no right to attack a peaceful convoy on international waters; and indeed such an attack constitutes an international crime or even an act of war.

The Israeli argument is predicated on the assumption that the blockade of Gaza is justified, that "there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza," and therefore, as Israel is at war with Hamas, intercepting the Flotilla was justified. What is cited is the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea, which under Section II states that a blockade is a legitimate method of warfare. In an Al-Jazeera interview, Mark Regev, the spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, stated that "Israel is at war with Hamas." Based on a very selective reading of the San Remo Manual, Israel considered the Flotilla to be breaching the blockade, and under Article 98 is therefore entitled to seize the ships. But is it really as clear-cut?

To know that, we must ascertain whether the blockade was indeed a legitimate means, as Israel states, to defend itself against Hamas. Under Article 102 of the San Remo Manual, it states that a blockade is prohibited if the damage to the civilian population is excessive in relation to the military advantage. A 2009 report by the UN Human Rights Council showed that Israel's restrictions of both imports to and exports from Gaza were unclear and often inconsistent, denying the civilian population adequate nutrition. Such arbitrary items that were barred include sage, cardamom, ginger, jam, fresh meat, fishing rods, among other items. Although there is much aid available, Israel was not allowing a sufficient amount to enter Gaza. This amounts to a breach of Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which prohibits collective punishment. Nothing could be clearer than Israel's Security Cabinet's declaration in 2007 that as it viewed the whole of Gaza as "hostile territory," they would restrict the flow of people and goods, effectively harming the livelihoods of ordinary civilians. In March 2009, 65 percent of the population was living under the poverty line, with 37 percent living in extreme poverty. The UN report states that "In so far as it constitutes collective punishment of all persons in Gaza, including the civilian population, the blockade is itself a violation of international humanitarian law."

Considering that the blockade itself is illegal, and indeed the UN has asked Israel to lift the blockade, the San Remo Manual is not applicable since it only applies to legal blockades. Only if a blockade is legal does Article 103 of the Manual become effective, which states that if the civilian population of the blockaded territory is inadequately provided for, the blockading party must allow free passage of foodstuffs and essential goods, but has a right to inspect them. The reality of the matter is that Israeli is imposing the insufferable conditions.

In actual fact, since Israel is exercising "effective control" over Gaza, it is still the occupying power. Article 42 of the 1907 Hague Regulations states that "Territory is considered occupied when it is actually placed under the authority of the hostile army" and this imposes on Israel several responsibilities towards the civilian population, which as we have seen above, have not been fulfilled. Article 55 of the Geneva Conventions specifically provides that the occupying power must provide food and medical supplies at an adequate level, and reports by both the UN and several human rights organizations have shown this not to be the case. Grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva Conventions are war crimes. Under Article 146 of the Fourth Geneva Conventions each state "shall bring such persons [who committed grave breaches of the convention], regardless of their nationality, before its own courts." Thus, those responsible in the Israeli government are liable to be tried for war crimes in any state.

Israel invoked the right to self-defense against what it said was attacks by passengers of the ships. However, it was Israel that intercepted the ship on the high seas. Under Article 87 of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, the high seas are open to all states and have certain freedoms, including the freedom of navigation. By intercepting the ship, Israel has breached this freedom. A war ship may only intercept a merchant vessel on the high seas if that vessel is engaged in piracy, the slave trade or is the same nationality as the warship (under the Law of the Sea as well as the Geneva High Seas Convention). In this case, there was no reasonable basis for this suspicion, and Israel did not claim any of these exceptions.

Furthermore, under the Law of the Sea, the flag state is to enforce its municipal laws as well as international law on its ship. That is, the ship is an extension of the flag state's territory. In the case of the Turkish ship, in which Israeli forces forcefully entered, killed and wounded civilians, those Israelis are subject to Turkish law and are liable to be tried in a Turkish court for their actions. The civilians on the boat were entitled to self-defense limited by the principle of proportionality. As has been reported, the Israelis boarded the ship with firearms bearing live ammunition as well as anti-riot weapons and ordinance, while the civilians used sharp objects and sticks. What we know from the eye-witness accounts on board the Mavi Marmara was that a passenger was shot first.

The case would be simpler had it been Israeli civilians, or at least an unauthorized attack by Israeli military personnel. In actual fact, the matter is more complicated because this was an authorized action by the Israeli military, thus rendering it an act of war on Turkey. Even in a situation of war, civilians are not to be attacked. The Flotilla was clearly carrying civilians who were not carrying weapons (and this was confirmed before the ships left port and after the cargo was inspected by Israel) from the ages of one year old to 89 years old. Under Article 6 of the Charter Provisions of the Nuremburg Trials, murder or any other inhumane act against a civilian population is tantamount to crimes against humanity.

Israel not only has to answer to Turkey for attacking its vessel, but as Israel is Party to the 1988 International Maritime Organization's Convention on the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the Safety of Maritime Navigation, it has breached Article 3 which prohibits seizing a ship by force or any other form of intimidation, or to commit any acts of violence against the people on the ship.

What can be concluded is that Israel's reliance on the Articles in the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea to defend its actions against the Flotilla are invalidated by the fact that the blockade itself is illegal. In that case, Israel's use of force against the Turkish vessel, the murder of civilians and its seizure of the other vessels constitute breaches of several Conventions to which Israel is a party to, a possible act of war against Turkey as well as crimes against humanity and war crimes, to which Israel must be held accountable.

Jinan Bastaki is a Law graduate of the London School of Economics. She has been active in the LSESU Palestine Society and is now residing in the United Arab Emirates. She is currently an LLM candidate at the University of California, Berkeley.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article11322.shtml

believer4life

soul searching...
:salam2:Let us all the family in TTI make a collective Dua whole heartly to Allah azajwajal to help the people of Gaza and the people on board the humanitarian ships. I condemn all the muslim nations for doing nothing for our fellow brothers and sisters. Oh Allah forgive our sins and accept our dua, Please help us. :tti_sister::tti_sister::tti_sister::tti_sister:

Except for Turkey, VIVA Turkey! :)