Italian city fines woman for wearing burqa

sajjuaiah

Rome, May 04: Italian police fined a Muslim woman for wearing a full Islamic veil in a street in the northern city of Novara, possibly the first such incident in Italy, city officials said on Tuesday.

“City police ticketed her last night and she will have to pay a 500-euro (650-dollar) fine,” Mauro Franzinelli of the Novara municipal police told reporters.

“As far as I know this is a first in Italy,” he said adding that the woman could appeal.

Novara, in Italy’s northeastern Piedmont region, is a stronghold of the anti-immigration Northern League, a key party in Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative government.

The woman, a Tunisian national, was stopped by police officers outside a post office in the company of her husband.

When her husband refused to have her identified by male officers they called in a patrol comprising a woman officer.

“City hall adopted a decree in late January banning the burqa in public places and their vicinity, which is based on a commentary by the interior ministry who received a copy of the draft,” said Franzinelli, who is also a local Northern League official.

Covering one’s face — with a veil or a motorcycle helmet — in public has been banned in Italy since 1975.

Al-Indunisiy

Rome, May 04: Italian police fined a Muslim woman for wearing a full Islamic veil in a street in the northern city of Novara, possibly the first such incident in Italy, city officials said on Tuesday.

“City police ticketed her last night and she will have to pay a 500-euro (650-dollar) fine,” Mauro Franzinelli of the Novara municipal police told reporters.

“As far as I know this is a first in Italy,” he said adding that the woman could appeal.

Novara, in Italy’s northeastern Piedmont region, is a stronghold of the anti-immigration Northern League, a key party in Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative government.

The woman, a Tunisian national, was stopped by police officers outside a post office in the company of her husband.

When her husband refused to have her identified by male officers they called in a patrol comprising a woman officer.

“City hall adopted a decree in late January banning the burqa in public places and their vicinity, which is based on a commentary by the interior ministry who received a copy of the draft,” said Franzinelli, who is also a local Northern League official.

Covering one’s face — with a veil or a motorcycle helmet — in public has been banned in Italy since 1975.

:salam2:

Please mention your source.
Also, I got this additional detail from here:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/italian-cops-fine-woman-wearing-burqa/114619-2.html
This was Italy's first such fine and made possible after Novara introduced a controversial by-law in January banning clothing which prevented immediate identification in public.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum

This is frustrating.

How is it possible to 'immediately identify' a person in public anyway, aside from recognising a person to be male or female?

Dare they introduce such laws in the UK? Audhbillaah.

Kakorot

:wasalam:

Personally I think they should move back to Tunisia because it's an arab/Muslim country and Muslim women can wear her niqaab without hassle. But if she's living or moved to a non-Muslim country and decides to wear niqaab, then she shouldn't expect to not get discriminated against. Why do Muslims move to non-Muslim countries and then complain about the way they are being treated?

arzafar

Personally I think they should move back to Tunisia because it's an arab/Muslim country and Muslim women can wear her niqaab without hassle. But if she's living or moved to a non-Muslim country and decides to wear niqaab, then she shouldn't expect to not get discriminated against. Why do Muslims move to non-Muslim countries and then complain about the way they are being treated?

it is mystery to me as well.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

So you should move back to wherever you came from for wearing hijaab or due to any discrimination you might receive for being identified as muslim in public?

What about reverts, where do you suggest they go?

Kakorot

So you should move back to wherever you came from for wearing hijaab or due to any discrimination you might receive for being identified as muslim in public?

What about reverts, where do you suggest they go?

Why should I move back? In the UK you are allowed to follow your religion. You are free to do what you want, so long you are not harming anyone. I'm not getting fined for wearing hijab am I? I'm mixed and my father reverted from Christianity. He got married to my mum and brought her here. So it's not exactly my fault I was born here. And the UK is not bad compared to places like France, Italy, Belgium, Germany etc. I'm not suggesting all Muslims to leave non-Muslim lands. All I'm asking is WHY do Muslims move FROM a Muslim country to a non-Muslim country and them moan that they can't wear niqaab etc? That's all I was saying. If your Muslim and your born and brought up in a non-Muslim land, then that's different.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

Why should I move back? In the UK you are allowed to follow your religion. You are free to do what you want, so long you are not harming anyone. I'm not getting fined for wearing hijab am I? I'm mixed and my father reverted from Christianity. He got married to my mum and brought her here. So it's not exactly my fault I was born here. And the UK is not bad compared to places like France, Italy, Belgium, Germany etc. I'm not suggesting all Muslims to leave non-Muslim lands. All I'm asking is WHY do Muslims move FROM a Muslim country to a non-Muslim country and them moan that they can't wear niqaab etc? That's all I was saying. If your Muslim and your born and brought up in a non-Muslim land, then that's different.

The fine doesn't discriminate between muslimahs who wish to wear the niqaab who were born in that particular country and those who are not born there, they all will get fined, so now do you have a problem with muslims who are not born in those countries voicing their dislike of such laws but those who are nationals, its okay for them to speak out? Doesn't make an ounce of a difference, every muslim should speak out!

Kakorot

The fine doesn't discriminate between muslimahs who wish to wear the niqaab who were born in that particular country and those who are not born their, they all will get fined, so now do you have a problem with muslims who are not born in those countries voicing their dislike of such laws but those who are nationals, its okay for them to speak out? Doesn't make an ounce of a difference, every muslim should speak out!

I know the fine was for anyone who wore the niqaab. No I don't have a problem with Muslims that come from abroad. I think you misunderstood what I meant. The case that I'm talking about, where in the article is says that the sis is from Tunisia. If she can't practice wearing her niqaab freely, and she believes that niqaab is a must, then simply she should move back to her country, and then she will be able to so.

Sis, there is no need to get emotional. I don't want to argue with you or anyone. So even if you do reply criticising me and whatever, I'm not going to reply. Peace.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Why do Muslims move to non-Muslim countries and then complain about the way they are being treated?

That is the problematic sentence sis ..you're implying the kuffar have an inherent right to discriminate against muslims. Theres just no other way of reading that.

I was merely trying to make sense of your points. Sometimes I like to dissect peoples arguments so they can be more clear.

Wa-salaam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Sis Channa, I should have taken your feelings into consideration before posting the above.

Didn't give your opinion the benfit of the doubt like I should have done, I'm very sorry.

Wa-alaykum salaam wa rahamtullaah.

mali1

I have never lived in a muslim country and have no intentions of doing so either (becuase of different reasons).

It will be interesting though, if all muslim countries make the niqab (or the head cap for men) mandatory. I am sure all the so called 'fair' news channels such as CNN, MSNBC or 'Fixed news" will make a big hue and cry about it and will deem it unconsititutional/discriminatory :))

Valerie

It will be interesting though, if all muslim countries make the niqab (or the head cap for men) mandatory. I am sure all the so called 'fair' news channels such as CNN, MSNBC or 'Fixed news" will make a big hue and cry about it and will deem it unconsititutional/discriminatory :))

You are so right on that. The double standards are ... disappointing.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,,

Firstly, there is no nationalism in Islam. If I am not mistaken..there have always been Muslims sent throughout the world to teach others to Islam,

Secondly, in a war one attacks the women. There is a war on Islam.

Thirdly, let us support each other.. we have enough of those who do not support us.

Kakorot

Sis Channa, I should have taken your feelings into consideration before posting the above.

Didn't give your opinion the benfit of the doubt like I should have done, I'm very sorry.

Wa-alaykum salaam wa rahamtullaah.

:salam2: sis.

Wallaahi, there is no need to apologise. Everyones entitled to their opinions. I just think we both misunderstood each other. Others have misunderstood me as well, like the comment above about nationality. That's my fault though, I should of been more clear.

I'm sorry if I hurt you Al-Fajr in any way.

Fee amanillaah.