I'tikaf is a great Sunnah

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
Asalamalikum wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakahtu

There is no doubt that I'tikaf is a great Sunnah:

Aishah (RA) reported that the Prophet (Salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam): "Used to perform i'tikaf in the last ten days of Ramadan until Allah the Mighty & Majestic, took him." (Bukhari & Muslim)

Abu Said reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Whoever makes I`tikaf with me is to make I'tikaf during the last ten [nights]." (Bukhari)

Imam Ahmad said, as was narrated from him by Abu Daawood: “I have not heard from any of the scholars that it is anything other than Sunnah.”

Az-Zuhri said: “How strange the Muslims are! They have given up I’tikaf, despite the fact that the Prophet, (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), never abandoned this practice from the time he came to Madinah until his death.”

Nawafil I'tikaf for those who do not sit for the whole 10 days:

If a person cannot sit I'tikaf for the full ten days & nights then they should try & sit I'thikaf on as many days & nights as they possibly can.

They can make intention of doing Nawafil I'tikaf everytime they enter the Masjid so a person will be rewarded for the duration of their stay in the Masjid as long as they did not commit any sins or indulge in idle talk.

I'tikaf for women:

Women can also do I'tikaf in the Masjid if the facilities are available to them as long as they have been given permission by their husbands.

There is a difference of opinion whether or not a women can do I'tikaf at home. The Hanbalis, some Shafi's & some Malikis say that a woman can only sit I'tikaf at the Masjid, whereas the Hanafi's, some Shafi's & some Malikis say it is permissable for a women to do I'tikaf at a designated place in her home because if her prayer is prefferred at home then surely her I'tikaf should also be preferred at home.

They state that a woman sitting I'tikaf at home can perform her domestic duties in her designated room for I'tikaf for eg. cooking, ironing etc. But it is best if she takes care of all her responsiblities si that she can devote as much time as possible to worship. She may not leave her desginated room unless it is necessery. The same rules apply to women sitting I'tikaf as they do for men. Even a women on her menses is permitted to sit I'tikaf at her designated place at home. She can do dhikr, dua, listening to Qur'an recitation & read, learn & ponder over the words & meanings of the Qur'an.

The Virtues of I'tikaf:

The benefits & rewards for sitting I'tikaf are immense:

Ali Ibn Hussain (RA) narrates from his father that Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “He who observes the ten days I’tikaf during Ramadhan will obtain the reward of two Hajj & two Umrah.” (Bayhaqi)

Abdullah bin Abbas (RA) reported that Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: “Whosoever for Allah’s sake did even one days i’tikaf, Allah would keep him away from Jahannam by trenches.” (Tabarani)

Ibn Abbas (RA) reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, (about him who engages in i’tikaf), “that he is safe from sin & he also gets that reward which everyone (outside i’tikaf) gets for pious deeds.” (Ibn Majah)

What an amazing opportunity for us to gain such immense & abundant rewards aswell as closeness to Allah. We can also take this opportunity to strengthen & boost our imaan (faith) for the rest of the year.