Jingle Bells?

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Are you a new Muslim trying to survive Christmas? Are you feeling lonely, cooping yourself up in your room on Christmas Eve? Ignoring all the carols being sung outside your door? Or maybe you’re taking a stroll around the block trying not to notice all the Christmas trees, colored lights, and Santas that stare you in the face.

If all these trials of ignoring Christmas prove a complete failure (which they probably will), why not relax and think deeply whether Islam really prevents Muslims from enjoying their family gatherings?

Well, the answer is no, it is neither righteous nor pious in Islam to exclude your family from your life. On the contrary, it is forbidden to neglect your family and break ties with your relatives. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “The severer of the tie of kinship will not get into Paradise” (Sahih Muslim).

You Are Not Alone

The Qur’an stresses the importance of family rights by placing it immediately after mention of a person’s testifying to Allah’s oneness (the first pillar of Islam). Allah says what means:

(Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbors who are near) (An-Nisaa’ 4:36)

Being a Muslim does not mean that you have to live in your own little world, isolating yourself from those around you, and feeling that you have become a stranger to everyone you love and care for. This matter was also a worry during the lifetime of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr As-Siddiq once asked the Prophet concerning her relationship with her non-Muslim mother, who was hoping for her daughter’s favor. The Prophet answered that yes, she should keep good relations with her (Al-Bukhari). Then Allah revealed the verse that means

(Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice.) (Al-Mumtahanah 60:8)

Be Careful

Of course, socializing with your family does not mean you can join them in singing carols, drinking alcohol, and eating pork. Islam allows you to share the cheerful spirit of the family gathering, strictly according to Islamic teachings, just as you would on any other day. You are not actually celebrating Christmas or relating to the event in any way, but you are only there for the sake of keeping steady and strong relations with your family.

The Prophet clearly disapproved on finding the Muslims of Madinah celebrating two pre-Islamic holidays. He told them that Allah had given them two better holidays, which were `Eid Al-Fitr and `Eid Al-Adha (An-Nasa’i and Abu Dawud).

In fact, Christmas is not the day on which Prophet Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) was born at all. December 25 was originally the god Mithra’s birthday in the Roman pagan cult, which is in no sense related to Prophet Jesus.

Muslim parents must make it clear to their children that they cannot participate in celebrating Christmas, even while visiting their non-Muslim relatives. But parents should teach their children that Muslims have holidays on which they can have fun, put up decorations, and get gifts. This is to help the children relate to Islam and correct the misconception that Islam is all about worship and no fun. On the contrary, having fun in Islam is in itself an act of worship, provided that a person does it with the right intention and according to the teachings of Islam.

Everything Has Changed

At first, it may be difficult for your family to accept that you have taken up a new religion and they may give you a hard time, but as a Muslim you should be tolerant and set a good example that reflects the true Islamic morals. This is why Allah stresses that Muslims should never deal harshly with their parents, even if they are non-Muslims who may try to turn him away from Islam. In one verse Allah says what means:

(We have enjoined on man kindness to parents; but if they strive to make thee join with Me that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return and I shall tell you what ye used to do.) (Al-`Ankabut 29:8)

During the lifetime of the Prophet a man was also put in this situation, so he went to the Prophet and said, “Allah’s Messenger, I have relatives with whom I try to have close relationship, but they sever (this relation). I treat them well, but they treat me ill. I am sweet to them, but they are harsh towards me.” Upon this the Prophet said, “If it is so as you say, then you in fact throw hot ashes (upon their faces) and there would always remain with you on behalf of Allah (an Angel to support you) who would keep you dominant over them so long as you adhere to this (path of righteousness)” (Sahih Muslim).

So you see, surviving Christmas is not so hard or depressing after all. It just needs some steadfastness and patience if any smart comments are made about you, a lot of love for your family so they know that Islam brings out the best in you, and plenty of faith in Allah that He will safely guide you through the holiday season and reward you for anything you have taken upon yourself for the sake of His obedience.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
:ma:Good post!! Sometimes its extremely hard especially for my daughter who is eight to want to participate in these gatherings at her school, (parties, plays, etc,..). I always tell her that we have the two Eids and she understands, Alhamdullilah!! But it is everywhere, so it is hard to escape. I just cant wait until its over!! Jazakallahu Khairan!!:hearts:

alwaysislam

really good post i find this a very tricky time of year being a new muslim i have to respect my family and still practice my islamic principles all i know is that my intention is to keep my family happy and not to cause conflict they respect my religion and understand that i am not there to celebrate christmas but to be there when my family are all together at one time allah forgive me if there is anything wrong in this i just dont want to hurt anyones feelings especially my mums

Steve940

Here's two fatwas from IslamQA, the first of which I will post, and the second of which I'll give the link to, it's a bit longer and more in depth

May Allah protect us from falsehood

Ruling on joining in the kaafir festivals

Question:
I see many "Muslims" joining in Christmas and other celebrations. Is there any daleel from the Quran and Sunnah that I can present to them to show that these are indeed very sinful practices?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to join in the kaafir festivals for the following reasons:

Firstly: because this entails imitating or resembling them, and “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood). This is a serious warning. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-‘Aas said: Whoever lives in the land of the mushrikeen and celebrates their Nawrooz (New Year) and their Mahrajaan (festivals), and imitates them until he dies, he will be a loser on the Day of Resurrection.

Secondly: taking part in their festivals is a kind of befriending them and showing love for them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them… “[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:1]

Thirdly: festivals are the matter of religion and beliefs, not the matter of worldly customs, as is indicated by the hadeeth: “Every nation has its Eid, and this is our Eid.” Their Eid or festival reflects their corrupt beliefs of Kufr and Shirk.

Fourthly: “And those who do not witness falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass it by with dignity” [al-Furqaan 25:72 – interpretation of the meaning]. The scholars interpreted this aayah was referring to the festivals of the mushrikeen. It is not permissible to give any of them cards for their festivals, or to sell them cards or any of the other things they need for their festivals such as lights, trees or food – including turkey, candy canes, etc.

We have already answered a similar question, for more details please see Question #947.

Islam Q&A

And the second fatwa;

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&QR=947

Peace2u

Turn To Islam

Here's two fatwas from IslamQA, the first of which I will post, and the second of which I'll give the link to, it's a bit longer and more in depth

May Allah protect us from falsehood

Ruling on joining in the kaafir festivals

Question:
I see many "Muslims" joining in Christmas and other celebrations. Is there any daleel from the Quran and Sunnah that I can present to them to show that these are indeed very sinful practices?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to join in the kaafir festivals for the following reasons:

Firstly: because this entails imitating or resembling them, and “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood). This is a serious warning. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-‘Aas said: Whoever lives in the land of the mushrikeen and celebrates their Nawrooz (New Year) and their Mahrajaan (festivals), and imitates them until he dies, he will be a loser on the Day of Resurrection.

Secondly: taking part in their festivals is a kind of befriending them and showing love for them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them… “[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:1]

Thirdly: festivals are the matter of religion and beliefs, not the matter of worldly customs, as is indicated by the hadeeth: “Every nation has its Eid, and this is our Eid.” Their Eid or festival reflects their corrupt beliefs of Kufr and Shirk.

Fourthly: “And those who do not witness falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass it by with dignity” [al-Furqaan 25:72 – interpretation of the meaning]. The scholars interpreted this aayah was referring to the festivals of the mushrikeen. It is not permissible to give any of them cards for their festivals, or to sell them cards or any of the other things they need for their festivals such as lights, trees or food – including turkey, candy canes, etc.

We have already answered a similar question, for more details please see Question #947.

Islam Q&A

And the second fatwa;

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&QR=947

Salam

Jazakhallah Khair for the Fatwa you posted brother however we need to clarify one thing here. The question posed was,

“I see many "Muslims" joining in Christmas and other celebrations. Is there any daleel from the Quran and Sunnah that I can present to them to show that these are indeed very sinful practices?.

I agree there are many born Muslims and perhaps new Muslims who are not practising or do not have a sound knowledge of Islam. In which case such people would perhaps freely participate in celebrating Christmas with Christians an example being a Christmas party at work or being invited to attend Christmas day with friends or family members. These non practising Muslims will even indulge in drinking alcohol why? Simply because they are not practising.

My initial post relates to reverts and their immediate families as Islam does not forbid them to meet with their families providing they make it clear that they’re are not there to participate in celebrating Christmas but rather there to visit them as they would visit them any other day. This in itself would be a great opportunity to give those family members Dawwah and explain to them the reasons why Muslims does not celebrate Christmas. Allah will only reward a person according to his or her intention and if our intentions are good Allah will surely see this.

Remember that Islam isn’t a difficult religion to follow however you will always find people who make it appear very extreme to follow when in actual fact it is the simplest of religions compared to others.

Peace2u

MubarekMuslimah

salaams brother peace2u

2 excellent posts masha'allah. May Allah swt reward you in abundance insha'allah - a lot of reverts struggle with Christmas, not even new reverts - this will be my 4th christmas period as a muslim ,trying to do the parent negotiations, not upsetting anyone, not giving bad impression of Islam or muslims but staying well away from Christmas itself and sticking solidly to the Straight Path insha'allah - its not easy but post like yours really help keep me patient and calm when its gets stressful :)

Wasalaams

Islam lover

this will be my first Christmas as a muslim I also am finding it hard to ignore the Santa and Christmas trees
I can't wait 4 Christmas 2 b over. It is hard 4 all of us to endure

dianne

Salam,

Lucky my son doesnt know a christmas at all,lol even he has a dad,grandma who celebrating christmas and so.since he lives in a muslim country.
that day we went to the show cars and he saw the christmas tree and asks me what is that? i said its a christmas tree and he didnt asks much.lol

wassalam