Joining feet in Jamaat?

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____
:salam2: to all,

I just read this article regarding joining the feet in Jamaat prayer. This article states that Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) did not say joining feet with the individuals beside you, like some people pray today in Jamaat. So are we not allowed to join our feet in prayer to avoid shaytaan's interference?

This is the article:
http://www.croydonmosque.com/?page=articles&id=54

I am in a state of confusion=S.

If any brothers or sisters know further about this matter please post your comments with the proper evidence from the Sunnah InshAllah.

JazakhAllah Khairan
:salam2:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Joining the heels/ankles as well as the shoulders was an established practice of many of the Sahaabah. Some ahaadeeth on this are reported by Bukhaaree in his Saheeh, in The Book of the Characteristics of Prayer.

The scholars differ as to whether that joining is only to be done for the start of Prayer, or if it is to be done throughout the Prayer. A group has stated that there is no necessity to join for the whole duration for the Salaah, since at times (such as rukoo`) your feet will be disjoint, and the point in this action of the Sahaabah was to keep the rows straight and tight. Yet, other scholars (many from our time) argue that the joining should be done throughout the prayer due to the command of the Prophet, sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, to straight and tighten the rows and due to the action of the companions. So in this way, they are complying with the narrations.

What the truth of the matter is, Allaah knows best. However, I've noticed that many of those who hold the first opinion, despite their arguments, never straighten or tighten their rows and never even join their feet at the commencement of prayer. So they claim one thing but don't even act upon it. And some from the second opinion, go to extreme lengths with joining the feet, to the point that they disjoin their shoulders at the expense of joining their feet, which opposes the ahaadeeth they are trying to implement?!

May Allaah guide us to the truth.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaykum

Jazzak Allah khair for your question dear sister/ brother because I was asking the same. In the mosque where I go I have noticed few sisters who splay feet too much, but like I know it was not practise of Prophet s.a.w.s.,neither Sahabahs r.a..

It has been naarateed from Ibn Umar r.a. that Allahs Messanger s.a.w.s said: " Establish and align safs, bulid sholder, fullfill emptines, softly touch the hands of your brothers and do not let place ( emptyness) for Shaytan. Who establish one saf, Allah will join him with Him,and who break saf, Allah will seperate him of Him."
( Abu dawud, hasen, Saheeh, Riyadu-s- salihin)

And Allah knows the best.

:wasalam:

daywalker

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-'Uthaymin (RA) said:

From the extremism that has occurred with regard to this issue is what is done by some people in that one of them will join his ankle to the ankle of his companion, and he will spread his feet so far apart until there is a gap between his shoulder and the shoulder of his companion, so he will oppose the Sunnah by doing that. But the aim is that the shoulders and ankles should be in line with each other.
Shaykh Bak'r Ibn Abdullah Abu Zaid said:
Amongst the things which have been added, is the new stance for the salah which has no source, is what we see from some musaleen {those who line up for the salah}: adjoining to the one to his right, if he is on the right side of the line, and the one to his left, if he is on the left side of the line, is such a manner that he adjusts his heels to joins his ankles to the ankles of the one beside him. This type of stance is something extra from what has been narrated, and also in it {this stance} is extremity in practicing the sunnah.
After saying this he explained the contradictory reasons....