Killing in Islam?

ZainabMedina

Asalamu alaikum

An athiest told me that killing non-believers is allowed in Islam, and he presented this quote from the Quran:

Qur'an, 4:89.

They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper.

Please tell me what context this was written in The Quran, as i do not believe that killing innocent people is permitted in this religion,
Please do not write too much, i prefer a clear concise answer! :)

Jazakalah Khair

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Sister,

Ofcourse he didn't tell you the next Ayah:

Except those who join a group, between you and whom there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with their breasts restraining from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. Had Allâh willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they withdraw from you, and fight not against you, and offer you peace, then Allâh has opened no way for you against them.

:wasalam:

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
subhanallah every problem in misguided groups of this ummah came from not completing evidences,in Quran u'll always find the answer in the next ayah, or in somewhere else in quran

mhamzah

Except those who join a group, between you and whom there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with their breasts restraining from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. Had Allâh willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they withdraw from you, and fight not against you, and offer you peace, then Allâh has opened no way for you against them.

Jazak'allah Khair brother,

and the verse before as it is talking about 'a' kind of a disbeliever i.e. 'The Hypocrites'

Why should ye be divided into two parties about the Hypocrites? God hath upset them for their (evil) deeds. Would ye guide those whom God hath thrown out of the Way? For those whom God hath thrown out of the Way, never shalt thou find the Way. [4:88]

As to fighting against whom that is mentioned is verse 4:75

And why should ye not fight in the cause of God and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"
a;

ZainabMedina

thankyou for the verse!
But i do not understand it, can you please explain what the verse is talking about and how
i can reply to the athiest on this issue. Jazakalah

RandyJackson

This one is easy.

"They desire that you should disbelieve..."

Only if the non-believer attempts to divert you from your righteous path. If a non-believer comes to you with no hidden agendas, then you must be kind to him/her.

But if they come to you and try to take you away from your clean life (like attempting to show you dirty pictures or if they try to convince your sister to take off her hijab and wear shorts and body-revealing clothing) then its your duty to prevent that from happening. At any cost.

mhamzah

(4:75) How is it that you do not fight in the way of Allah and in support of the helpless - men, women and children -who pray: 'Our Lord, bring us out of this land whose people are oppressors and appoint for us from Yourself, a protector, and appoint for us from Yourself a helper'?

This refers to those wronged, persecuted men, women and children of Makka and of the other tribes in Arabia who had embraced Islam, but were able neither to emigrate nor to protect themselves from the wrongs to which they were subjected. These helpless people suffered many forms of persecution, and prayed for deliverance from oppression.

This is why Allah said,

﴿الَّذِينَ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَآ أَخْرِجْنَا مِنْ هَـذِهِ الْقَرْيَةِ﴾

(whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town), referring to Makkah. In a similar Ayah, Allah said,

﴿وَكَأَيِّن مِّن قَرْيَةٍ هِىَ أَشَدُّ قُوَّةً مِّن قَرْيَتِكَ الَّتِى أَخْرَجَتْكَ﴾

(And many a town, stronger than your town which has driven you out) Allah then describes this town,

﴿الظَّـلِمِ أَهْلُهَا وَاجْعَلْ لَّنَا مِن لَّدُنْكَ وَلِيّاً وَاجْعَلْ لَّنَا مِن لَّدُنْكَ نَصِيراً﴾

(whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from You one who will protect, and raise for us from You one who will help) meaning, send protectors and helpers for us.

(4:88) What has happened to you that you have two minds about the hypocrites even though Allah has reverted them, owing to the sins that they earned? Do you want to lead those to the right way whom Allah let go astray? And he whom Allah lets go astray, for him you can never find a way.

This verse is about the hypocrites amongst the Muslims [at the time of the Prophet Muhammad, pbuh].They had outwardly embraced Islam in Makka and in other parts of Arabia, but they were unbelievers, taking part in all their hostile machinations against Islam and the Muslims. It was not easy for the Muslims to decide how to deal with such people. Some were of the opinion that since they professed Islam, performed Prayers, fasted and recited the Qur'an they could not be treated as unbelievers. Here Allah pronounces His judgement on this issue.

They wish that you should disbelieve just as they disbelieved so that you may all be alike. Do not, therefore, take from them allies until they emigrate in the way of Allah, but if they turn their backs (on emigration), seize them and slay them118 wherever you come upon them. Take none of them for your ally or helper. [4:89]

So Muslims were asked to fight against the Quraish, who has been oppressing Muslim men, women and children [all because they said we believe in Allah and his Prophet]. And there were amongst the Muslim [those hypocrites] who outwardly used to do all what the Muslims did but they didn’t believe and allied with the unbelievers [against the Muslims].

Verses 4:77 onwards described the characteristics of these hypocrites;

They wish that the order for fighting be Delayed:

Hast thou not turned Thy vision to those who were told to hold back their hands (from fight) but establish regular prayers and spend in regular charity? When (at length) the order for fighting was issued to them, behold! a section of them feared men as - or even more than - they should have feared God: They said: "Our Lord! Why hast Thou ordered us to fight? Wouldst Thou not Grant us respite to our (natural) term, near (enough)?" [4:78]

They used to attribute any bad omens onto the prophet – [4:78-79]

..And if some good reaches them, they say, "This is from Allah," but if some evil befalls them, they say, "This is from you (O Muhammad SAW)." [4:78]

They used to conspire against the Muslims; - [4:81]

....But as they leave your presence, some of them (gather at night and) conspire to do just the opposite of what you said... [4:81]

unless it be such of them who seek refuge with a people who are joined with you by a covenant, or those who come to you because their hearts shrink from fighting either against you or against their own people. Had Allah so willed, He would certainly have given them power over you and they would have fought against you. If they leave you alone and do not fight against you and offer you peace,, then Allah does not permit you to harm them. [4:90)

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

1) To understand the Qur'an, one needs to know the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and what occurred during that time period.

2) One needs to understand how the Qur'an was revealed. non-Muslims think the entire Qur'an was revealed at once in a book format that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) brought. The Qur'an was actually revealed in portions, verses revealed at different situations, sometimes to even answer questions, etc. And then the angel Jabriel (Gabriel) (peace be upon him) would recite the Chapters and verses as they now appear. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would memorize the verses and chapters and reveal them to the people. Some portions were written by some individuals, however, the Qur'an as it appears in book format now, was compiled into a book format under Abu Bakr's Caliphate (may Allah be pleased with him).

3) The verse you mention is in the following context:

"88) Then what is the matter with you that you are divided into two parties about the hypocrites? Allah has cast them back (to disbelief) because of what they have earned. Do you want to guide him whom Allah has made to go astray? And he whom Allah has made to go astray, you will never find for him any way (of guidance).
89) They wish that you reject Faith, as they have rejected (Faith), and thus that you all become equal (like one another). So take not Auliya' (protectors or friends) from them, till they emigrate in the Way of Allah (to Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم). But if they turn back (from Islam), take (hold of) them and kill them wherever you find them, and take neither Auliya' (protectors or friends) nor helpers from them.
90) Except those who join a group, between you and whom there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with their breasts restraining from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. Had Allah willed, indeed He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they withdraw from you, and fight not against you, and offer you peace, then Allah has opened no way for you against them.
91) You will find others that wish to have security from you and security from their people. Every time they are sent back to temptation, they yield thereto. If they withdraw not from you, nor offer you peace, nor restrain their hands, take (hold of) them and kill them wherever you find them. In their case, We have provided you with a clear warrant against them."
[4:88-91]​

Long story short, some people were hypocrites, meaning they called themselves Muslims, but secretly they were pagans and hated the Muslims. They wished to deceive the Muslims from within and lead them to destruction and support their enemies by giving them intelligence, etc. They posed a great risk to the lives of the innocent Muslims, so Allah (The Exalted) passed Judgment over them in these verses and permitted the Muslims to arrest and execute the leaders among them that posed this type of danger, except what is mentioned in the verse about the exceptions, such as those who don't mean physical harm to Muslims or live under the protection of other tribes that have peace with the Muslims, etc, which is made clear in verse 91.

This type of treatment of hypocrites or "traitors," which is the term used by modern governments, is something one sees throughout the world. For example, the U.S. also arrests and punishes its traitors with execution, which they have done in the past. Other nations throughout the world do the same. This atheist of yours also lives in a land in which his government behaves in the same manner, or else how could they protect their citizens from hostile forces from within and externally.

This response was long, and you wanted something short. However, there is no way to learn about Islam in the "short" and "quick" manner. One must read extensively to understand and become set in the religion, so when ignorant people, with the mindset and naivety of a child, thinking of the world with an idealist mentality, talk nonsense about the truth, you can clarify it for them. Now, as for some of these non-Muslims that quote these type of verses from the Qur'an, but have no real intention of learning the religion from extensive study. They are just a group of tricky-minded and deceitful people who wish to mislead the ignorant. Do not be surprised that they question everything in the religion from A to Z. This is because they do not take the time to learn on their own. Especially these atheists are among the most cynical group when it comes to religion. A man finds the truth after extensive studies and contemplation. Not from reading a verse here and there and thinking, "I am now an expert of Islam, with my lack of Arabic knowledge, lack of understanding of Islamic history, lack of fairness in my assessment, lack of understanding of political science and governing, lack of understanding in military sciences, etc."

Learn about Islam at the following sites:

1) http://www.islamreligion.com/
2) http://thedeenshow.com/
3) Read the thread "Proving Islam" : http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40837

4) Read "Science Against Evolution" and forward to the atheist:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62132

5) And another post dealing with evolution:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60168

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

gazkour

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allahi wa barakato

I think it would be quite straight forward if you just tell your atheist friend that this is just about desbelievers fighting us. If they are peaceful then Allah told us to be good to them too. Tell them just to keep reading on to the next ayah, pretty simple, subhanaAllah!

May Allah guide us all.

Assalamo alikom

MutlekM

:salam2:
The rise of blood shed is a sign of the coming of Judgement sorry if this is not on the topic. correct me if I am wrong.

ZainabMedina

Jazakalah for the explanations people i understand totally now.
yeah i said i wanted a short answer lol but i didnt realise that i needed to understand it so much- i don't mind long answers!

Its a shame athiests pick out verses from the Quran which are out of context and totally manipulate it.

salam