Lataa'if

JenGiove

Hello Jen,

I guess this one is intended for brother thariq. But I will take the liberty of responding to your request.

Brother Thariq intends to gather the saying of pious and knowledgeable *muslims* who were known to adhere to the *Quran and Sunnah*. Reading them, one would be reminded of Allah Almighty, as per teachings of Islam.

I don't think this would be achieved by the sayings of elders or non muslim scholars, whoever they be. I hope this doesn't offend you.

But I am sure that we all can benefit from reading words of pious and knowledgeable scholars or 'Imams', no matter who we are. So I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have. :)

Salaam BrotherInIslam,

I am not offended at all. I was unsure of my feet and so decided to ask first. I in no way wanted to post anything of my own teachers in this kind of manner that would have been construed as imposing my own beliefs upon you.

Maybe someone will start a "world wise sayings" thread and I can post them there.... :)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Hello Jen,

I guess this one is intended for brother thariq. But I will take the liberty of responding to your request.

Brother Thariq intends to gather the saying of pious and knowledgeable *muslims* who were known to adhere to the *Quran and Sunnah*. Reading them, one would be reminded of Allah Almighty, as per teachings of Islam.

I don't think this would be achieved by the sayings of elders or non muslim scholars, whoever they be. I hope this doesn't offend you.

But I am sure that we all can benefit from reading words of pious and knowledgeable scholars or 'Imams', no matter who we are. So I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have. :)

JazakAllaahu khairaa to brotherinislam, he mentioned everything I will need to mention. I am thinking of appointing him as my spokesperson, maa shaa'Allaah *smile*

Just a point worthy of mention Jen, one of the main reason I want statements from the "righteous" predecessors is because these were the people who did not only speak words, rather their words would be manifest in their actions. Contrary to many of us, who only speak speak and act less, these were the first of people to act upon their words. Thus we see that Allaah honoured many of these people by using them to carry out major tasks for this religion.

I am glad you are not offended Jen

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Hasan Al Basri Rahimaullah said:

"Son of Adam, never please anybody if this entails the Wrath of Allaah. Never obey anybody if this entails disobedience to Allaah. Never thank anybody for something which Allaah granted you. Never blame anybody for something which Allaah did not grant you. Allaah created people and they steer the course pre-determined for them. Whoever thinks that extra care and interest will increase his provisions, let him try such extra care and interest in increasing his life span, changing his color, or increasing the size of his limbs and build!"

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Hasan Al Basri Rahimaullah said:

"Son of Adam, never please anybody if this entails the Wrath of Allaah. Never obey anybody if this entails disobedience to Allaah. Never thank anybody for something which Allaah granted you. Never blame anybody for something which Allaah did not grant you. Allaah created people and they steer the course pre-determined for them. Whoever thinks that extra care and interest will increase his provisions, let him try such extra care and interest in increasing his life span, changing his color, or increasing the size of his limbs and build!"

Sister Samiha alread posted it

It was narrated from ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said:

“Do not think badly of a word uttered by your brother, when you can find a good interpretation for it.”

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz (26/365).

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

SubhanAllaah you know, I just love many of the quotes of our Salaf, they at times soften the hearts and open the mind like nothing else. I found a gold mine from Hasan al-Basri rahimahullaah, but for now I leave with this:

Talha Ibn Sabeeh says: al-Hasan said: A believer believes in what Allaah has said. He is the best of men in his deeds, but he fears Allaah most, so that if he spends the size of a mountain of money, he would not be sure of his reward until he sees this with his own eyes. The more righteous and charitable the believer is, the more afraid of Allaah he becomes. While the hypocrite says: Men are too many, I shall be forgiven. There is no harm on me. Thus he acts badly, but wishes many things from Allaah.

wasalaam

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Ibn Al-Jawzi, Rahimahullah, said:

"Whenever a new matter is firmly based on a principle in Sharee`ah, it is acceptable. However, any innovation which attempts to complete some aspect of the religion, is wrong because it implies deficiency in the religion. And, if the innovation is one which is contradictory to the Sharee`ah, it is even worse."

Telbees Iblees

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Ibn Hazam al-Andalusee Rahimahullah said:

"A man who is a miser with his knowledge is worse than a man who is a miser with his money, for the money-miser is afraid of using up what he possesses but the knowledge-miser is being mean with something which does not get used up and is not lost when it is given away."

Al-Aqlaaq Was Siyyar

justoneofmillion

The outward form of things passes away, but the essence remains for ever. How long will you be besotted with the shape of the jug? Cast aside the jug, and seek the water. If you look too closely at the form, you miss the essence. If you are wise, you will always pick out the pearl from the shell.

- Rumi

When reason reaches its peak and the souls of His lovers feel helpless and disabled, they grow restless and stretch their hands in supplication, seeking comfort for their burning souls. When every manner of search within their power has been consumed, the doorway to Him is opened.

- Al-Hujwiri

Everyone who is taken by death asks for more time, while everyone who still has time makes excuses for procrastination.

–Ali Ibn Abi Talib RA

Let love be selfless/and truth fearless;/Let our breasts be flooded with light–/Make our hearts clear as crystal.

–Muhammad Iqbal

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

“Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

"Love opens a door from one heart to another,but how can there be doors without walls_"
Rumi

"May the eyes of the cowards never sleep"KHaled ibn al walid RA

justoneofmillion

:salam2:God rumi!

There you go,
"No mirror became iron again,no bread ever became wheat,no ripened grape ever became fruit.Mature yourself and be secure from a change for the worse.Become the light!"

"You are quaffing drink from a hundred fountains: whenever any of these hundred yields less, your pleasure is diminished. But when the sublime fountain gushes from within you, no longer need you steal from the other fountains."
Rumi

fatma_said

“What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, inseparable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; execution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel"
Ibn Taymiyyah

This is the same man who had the courage to condemn a great mongol warrior whilst he was just a young man. may allah have mercy on his soul

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allah have mercy on him – said:

Do not sit with an adherent of bid’ah for he will cause a disease in your heart.

Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

Sufyân ath-Thawrî (rahimahullâh) said, “We met a people who loved it when it was said to them, Fear Allâh the Most High. Today you find that people only become annoyed at this.”

Fudayl ibn ‘Iyâd (rahimahullâh) said, “Whoever’s admonition is much, his friends will be few.”

Fudayl ibn ‘Iyâd (rahimahullâh) said, “A believer plants a palm tree and fears that thorns will grow. The hypocrites plant thorns expecting ripe dates to grow!”

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaikum!

"Sins are like chains and locks preventing their perpetrator from roaming the vast garden of tawheed and reaping the fruits of righteous actions". -Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah).

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Abû Al-Dardâ` – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

Be a scholar or a learner, or a person who loves [the scholars] or a follower [of the scholars], but do not be the fifth.
Humayd (one of the reporters) asked Al-Hasan (Al-Basri, who reported this from Abû Al-Dardâ`), “And who is the fifth?” He replied, “A heretic (mubtadi’, religious innovator}.”

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm 1:142.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
"Knowledge does not take root in the heart of a person who attains knowledge for the benefits of the world". -Imaam Abu haneefa.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Ibn Hazm al-Andalusi (rahimahullah):

"When you give advice, do not give it only on condition that it will be taken. Do not intercede only on the condition that your intercession is accepted; do not make a gift only on the condition that you will be recompensed. Do it only in order to practice virtue, and to do what you should do when giving advice, interceding and being generous."

Al-Akhlaaq Wa’l-Siyar

pwa4evr

Deeds without sincerity are like a traveler who carries in his water-jug dirt. The carrying of it burdens him and it brings no benefit.

Scholar Name: Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalamu `alaykum. Just thought I'd bring back this thread as I benefitted from reading it myself.

In shaa'Allaah, going to post some stuff I posted elsewhere:

Imaam al-Shafi`ee said:

إذا ما كنت ذا قلب قنوع *** فأنت ومالك الدنيا سواء

"If you are one whose heart is content, then you and the king of the dunya is the same"

The meaning of the word Qanoo` (from the verb Qana`a) is the one who is pleased with what he is given.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Abu Dawood (rahimahullah) said:

كَانَتْ مَجَالِسُ أَحْمَدَ مَجَالِسَ الآخِرَةِ، لاَ يُذكَرُ فِيْهَا شَيْءٌ مِنْ أَمرِ الدُّنْيَا، مَا رَأَيْتُهُ ذَكَرَ الدُّنْيَا قَطُّ

"The gatherings of Ahmad (ibn Hanbal) were gatherings of the Hereafter. Nothing from the affairs of the dunya were mentioned in them. I did not see him see him mention the dunya ever."