Learned Muslims please assist me with this question...

The Arabic language like many Eastern languages uses the 'plural of respect'. We see in English Quran translations that Almighty Allah's words are rendered such that He seems to refer to Himself as 'We' or 'Us' many times.

This isn't a problem in Arabic nor many other languages, but in English it does cause the mind to think of Allah as a plural entity which is completely wrong. I fully understand why the translation reads 'We' or 'Us' etc., but I also know that it is very, very difficult for a person who only speaks English to read it as it is meant to be read. It's a lot like those games where you have to read the word written on a card where the word might be 'yellow' but it is written in red. The mind has to constantly stop and check itself.

Being as we are only dealing with translations, which are not the Quran at all, but only the meaning of the Quran according to some individual, I am wondering if it would be acceptable to drop the plural of respect when reading translations of the Quran in English.

I personally find the use of the plural of respect in a language where such a thing is virtually non-existant quite misleading. When I first read the English translations I actually found myself thinking that maybe Allah is talking about Himself and His angels (peace be upon them and May Allah forgive me)!!!

The Arabic language, in short, can not be translated into English properly, let alone the Holy Quran.

As I understand it, and verily Allah Knows Best, the Arabic language has no capital letters at all and therefore I think that the use of capitalisation in English is the closest translation of plurals of respect. The Bible uses this system to translate Hebrew so that plurals of respect are capitalised. This renders Elohim as 'God' when talking about Allah and 'gods' when talking in the plural, for example in Exodus 20:3, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me".

I am keen to hear from people that only speak English as they will be more familiar with the issues this translation method causes.

My question is, simply put, can we adopt the capitalisation system used in Bible translations as opposed to the more literal, but misleading method which has become common?

Allah Knows Best. May He grant us all His Mercy.

Allahu Akbar.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

Indeed I thought in pluralistic terms when reading the word "we" or "us" in english translation. I get overwhelmed at times, but I never give up.

Alhamdullilah I took some Arabic classes to help me with certain things. There will always be that difficulty for us native English speakers, but hey more reward for us for trying :)

I wish to elaborate more but in the last hour of fasting my brain goes numb *shrugs*

:wasalam:

uskupi

assalam alaikum...Allah s.w.t is polite and he likes politeness and as a respect to the angels that are near (al melekul e ala,Jibreal,Mikhail..ect) to him he uses the plural WE or US,when He whants to show pure monotheism he uses... I ...as a comfirmation of His ONNES surretul Ta-ha ayat 13 ...SURELY I AM ALLAH THERE IS NO GOD BUT I,SO WORSHIP ME AND ESTABLISH SALAH FOR MY REMEMBRANCE."...

mhafiz

We and Us

Assalam o Alikum WrWb.

When the translators used "We and Us for Allah" in the Quran they are referring to the Royal or Respected form of I/One Allah. My father explained this simply by stating in the present earthly courts of King and Queens etc, which fail in comparison, the same "We and Us" is used when Royal decree are made etc. So for Allah (SWT) the "We and Us" presenting in the Plural form of respect is infinite times more befitting for Allah the one and only, and his attributes, angels etc.

I think to move to used the modified/edited typo of the bible will not be advantageous to show the Majesty of Allah (SWT) by using "We and Us"

A very simple way to get over this singular/plural confusion for English speakers using translations and at the same time knowing Allah being the one, describe himself will 99 attributes that are very powerful and when recited, and when the meaning is pondered over can move the believer to awe in knowing the Greatness, Mercy and Majesty of Allah (SWT). The words "We and Us" can thus signify Allah (SWT) and his 99 attributes. So the next time you read the Quran and you read "We and Us" just think Allah (SWT) and his 99 attributes.

To even reinforce this concept it will be encourage to read and ponder over the Asma Ul Husna (99 names of Allah), also it can be used as a form of a Dikhr. As a matter of fact there is a Hadith with states those who call upon Allah / memorize the 99 names of Allah (SWT) will enter Paradise, InshAllah. Many Muslims Artist such as Yusuf Islam, Sami Yusuf etc, have chanted the Asma Ul Husna of Allah. They are some excellent clips on Youtube. I encourage you to download some of them and listen to them often and then you will see Allah (SWT) being the one with all his attributes that can encompass the splendor of "We and Us" mentioned in the translation of the Quran. As you can see leaving the translation as is, without copying the style of the bible can help us Muslims to look upon Allah (SWT) as the one and only, with his 99 beautiful names that we should ponder over and call Allah (SWT) by in our Duahs and Dikhir etc.

And Allah (SWT) knows best, and May He guide us.

Wassalam

M. Hafiz

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
:wasalam: brother

I've noticed this too, and here's my thinking: Allah SWT refers to Himself as "I" when he's talking about Himself only, and uses "We" to imply that the angels are a part of the equation for whatever is being expressed. That's my impression, at least. Allah SWT knows best, and may He forgive me if I've misunderstood.

BintMuhammad

Staff member

The meaning of the pronoun “We” as used in the Qur’an

Question:
Why does the Quran use the term "we" in its ayats?
Many non-believers believe that this may be in reference to Jesus?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is a feature of literary style in Arabic that a person may refer to himself by the pronoun nahnu (we) for respect or glorification. He may also use the word ana (I), indicating one person, or the third person huwa (he). All three styles are used in the Qur’an, where Allaah addresses the Arabs in their own tongue. (Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 4/143).

“Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, sometimes refers to Himself in the singular, by name or by use of a pronoun, and sometimes by use of the plural, as in the phrase (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily, We have given you a manifest victory” [al-Fath 48:1], and other similar phrases. But Allaah never refers to Himself by use of the dual, because the plural refers to the respect that He deserves, and may refer to His names and attributes, whereas the dual refers to a specific number (and nothing else), and He is far above that.” (Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 75).

These words, innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), and other forms of the plural, may be used by one person speaking on behalf of a group, or they may be used by one person for purposes of respect or glorification, as is done by some monarchs when they issue statements or decrees in which they say “We have decided…” etc. [This is known in English as “The Royal We” – Translator]. In such cases, only one person is speaking but the plural is used for respect. The One Who is more deserving of respect than any other is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, so when He says in the Qur’an innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), it is for respect and glorification, not to indicate plurality of numbers. If an aayah of this type is causing confusion, it is essential to refer to the clear, unambiguous aayaat for clarification, and if a Christian, for example, insists on taking ayaat such as “Verily, We: it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e., the Qur’an)” [al-Hijr 15:9 – interpretation of the meaning] as proof of divine plurality, we may refute this claim by quoting such clear and unambiguous aayaat as (interpretation of the meanings): “And your god is One God, there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful” [al-Baqarah 2:163] and “Say: He is Allaah, the One” [al-Ikhlaas 112:1] – and other aayaat which can only be interpreted in one way. Thus confusion will be dispelled for the one who is seeking the truth. Every time Allaah uses the plural to refer to Himself, it is based on the respect and honour that He deserves, and on the great number of His names and attributes, and on the great number of His troops and angels.” (Reference: Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 109). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid