Leather

melissa123

Not Junior Anymore!!
I was wondering, if actual leather that is made from cows hide has to be halal? I dont think i have anything that is leather, but i was just curious.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
I was wondering, if actual leather that is made from cows hide has to be halal? I dont think i have anything that is leather, but i was just curious.

:salam2:

Here's some hadiths I found, they do not specifically refer to cattle however.

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) prohibited the use of skins of wild animals. (Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi)

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) forbade the skins of wild animals being used as floor-coverings. (Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi)

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: 'Do not ride on saddles made of silk or leopard skins.' (Abu Dawud)

Animals suffer in the production of leather nearly all leather comes from animals who are raised and killed in the modern factory-farming system, a system that runs contrary to Islamic teachings.
I wonder if they have zabinah slaughtered leather here in Canada or the US?

melissa123

Not Junior Anymore!!
thanks for that. Yes thats why i was wondering, if the animal is killed in a cruel way without the proper thanks to Allah then it would make sense that it would be Haram..

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2: Sisters,

Here is your answer from an Islamic scholar:

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When (animal) skin is tanned, it becomes pure.” And he said, “Tanning the skin of a dead animal [i.e., one which has died of natural causes as opposed to being slaughtered] purifies it.” The scholars differed concerning this – does this hadeeth apply to all kinds of animal skins, or only the skins of animals which become halaal when slaughtered according to sharee’ah?

Undoubtedly it is permissible to use in any way the tanned skins of dead animals which become halaal when slaughtered according to sharee’ah, such as camels and cows, according to the most correct scholarly opinion. With regard to the skins of pigs, dogs and the like, which cannot be made halaal by slaughtering them in the manner prescribed in sharee’ah, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether they can be made pure by tanning. In order to be on the safe side, it is better not to use them, heeding the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever avoids doubtful matters, that will be better for his religious commitment and his honour.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said, “Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt.”

Shaykh Ibn Baaz in al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 860

al-muslimah

:holaaa:salam alaycoum akhi..i never knew that wild animals skin were prohibited..thanx for letting me know..alhamdullah..but wait.. is it porhibited for all men and women?? i really want to know..:confused: :confused:

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
:salam2:

My wife and I received two fine sheep-skin mats from her Grandma (who's from New Zealand, where sheep are part of the national identity). This thread has caused me some concern.

In the 3 hadiiths meantioned by Jabba, especially the last, I get the impression that the Prophet PBUH is forbidding wild animal skins such as leapards, tigers, bears, etc... Like how we're told not to hunt/eat wild animals that can kill us.

I doubt that sheep could kill, and I personally wouldn't concider then to be "wild animals" but instead domesticated creatures, though I'm not certain.

Would you kindly share some thoughts on this, please? Thank you.

:wasalam: