Life Insurance

AishaR

:salam2:

Inshallah this finds you all in good health.

Someone mentioned to me recently that life insurance is haram, but wasnt sure why. Is this true?? Does anyone know anything about this topic?? I was looking into taking out life cover so when something happens to me, my family dont have to worry.

Thanx in advance

:wasalam:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
Insurance

Life insurance is optional but here in the UK, you cannot drive without car insurance.

Benefitting from insurance
4/7/2004 7:32:00 AM GMT

I was in a car accident that has paralyzed me and cannot afford treatment without insurance. Is it permissible to have insurance and to use it?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah to heal you and restore you to health, and to relieve your distress and hardship.

If what is meant by submitting your papers to the insurance company is that you have health insurance, or intend to take out health insurance, you should note that this insurance is haraam, as is so-called life insurance, because the insurance policy in both cases involves ambiguity and a kind of gambling. This has been stated by the scholars in their fatwas.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/297):

A – It is not permissible for the Muslim to insure himself against sickness, whether that is in a Muslim country or in a kaafir country, because that involves ambiguity and a kind of gambling.

B – It is not permissible for a Muslim to insure his life or all or some of his physical faculties, or to insure his wealth, possessions, cars and the like, whether that is in a Muslim country or in a kaafir country, because these are kinds of commercial insurance, which is haraam because it involves ambiguity and a kind of gambling.

End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Insurance means that a person pays a certain amount to the company each month or each year against an accident that may happen to the thing insured.

It is known that the one who pays insurance is losing in all cases, and the insurance company may win or lose, because if the accident is very serious and costs more than the money paid by the customer, the company will lose, but if it is minor and costs less than the money paid by the customer, or if no accident happens at all, then the company will win and the customer will lose.

This kind of contract – i.e., contracts in which a person may win or lose – is regarded as a kind of gambling which Allaah forbids in His Book and mentions alongside drinking alcohol and worshipping idols.

Based on this, this kind of insurance is haraam. I do not know of any kind of insurance based on ambiguity that is permissible, rather all kinds are haraam, because of the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade transactions based on ambiguity.

And Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Life insurance is not permissible, because if the angel of death comes to the one whose life is insured, he cannot refer him to the insurance company. So this is a mistake and foolish misguidance, and it involves depending on this company instead of Allaah, because the person is depending on the company, if he dies, to take care of his heirs, which means depending on someone other than Allaah.

This is akin to gambling, indeed it is gambling in a real sense, and in His Book Allaah mentions gambling alongside shirk, divination with arrows and alcohol.

In the case of insurance, a man may pay money for years and years, and he may lose it, but if he dies soon the company may be the loser. All contracts in which there may be gains or losses are kinds of gambling.

Secondly:

If you are forced to take out insurance and there is an accident, it is permissible for you to take from the insurance company the same amount as the payments you have made, but you should not take any more than that. If they force you to take it then you should donate it to charity.

We advise you to fear Allaah and to turn to Him and make a lot of du’aa’, for anyone who turns to Him will never be disappointed. And we remind you of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever is stricken with poverty and turns to people for help, his needs will never be met, but whoever is stricken with poverty and turns to Allaah, Allaah will send him provision sooner or later.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2326; Abu Dawood, 1645. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

And Allaah knows best.

yasmin623

Sorry I can`t agree that Insurance is haram. :SMILY286: It actually depend on the policy you set up and your own intention on it. If you see it as a gambling then it is haram. I don`t think so it is a gambling in the first place.

It is just an agreement in between a group of people with the same interests to contribute to a pool of funding. In case of accident (car insurance) or sickness (life @health insurance), the member will get the agreed payment from the pool to help him solve his financial problem. Is setting agreement and follow them haram in syariah? So far I did not see any `fatwa` it is haram...correct me if i am wrong...

The insurance company is just the manager of the funding. Of course their way of management have to be `halal` to make the insurance policy halal. eg, manage the funding and related investment according to islam law. In my country there are plenty of `halal` insurance plan by islamic insurance company.

As a matter of fact, policies like car insurance or personal accident insurance should be halal as it does not involved any investment or profits. The money paid is from the pool itself...no investment or profit involved, at learst in my country is like that.

And Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Life insurance is not permissible, because if the angel of death comes to the one whose life is insured, he cannot refer him to the insurance company. So this is a mistake and foolish misguidance, and it involves depending on this company instead of Allaah, because the person is depending on the company, if he dies, to take care of his heirs, which means depending on someone other than Allaah.

This fatwa is rather funny...:SMILY303: Please understand that everything is on the hands of Allah. Death comes with the will of Allah and the angel of death takes the life of insured with the order from Allah. The insurance company give the payment with the will of Allah too... The life insured managed to set up a policy before death comes is also under the will of Allah too! A true muslim should understand this very well. Help from Allah...Insurance is just a channel to help....

I will be most appreciated if you could further study the reliability of the fatwas you gave. Nowadays fatwa is everywhere and some contratictive among themselves. We have to be very careful to choose the reliable one.

Thanks and may Allah guide us always...:muslim_child:

asabr

Insurance

Asalam alaikum warahmatoul llahi wabarakatu...Baraka Allah feekoum............
Now to begin with....To the best of my knowledge and the many scholars I've listened to..INSURANCE IS DEFINATELY HARAM, and Allah knows best. If you live in a country that requires you to have liability motor insurance, then that's the only form of insurance you can have. The rest are not acceptable. I agree with the brother's explanation of how insurance works..You either lose the money you put in or the insurance loses if the payout is large. Insurance is the biggest legal scum at the moment. Just about everyone knows how many false claims are out there and how people fake illnesses for this purpose. It is part of fasad. And if muslims can avoid it, then it is certainly the proper way to go. There is no such thing as a halal insurance company.....insurance companies are able to stay in business through interest....RIBAAA...The so called halal insurance companies will not tell their muslim customers that they are using their money to gain interest...And again Allah knows best
Wasalam alikum warahmatoul llahi wabarakatu

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
I agree with Brother Abdul-Raheem Ali.

From what I know, insurance works a lot like Interest (which is a major sin in Islam).

Insurance is a rip-off anyways. You continue to pay money that can be used for a better cause (in Zakat, Hajj/Umrah money, etc.).

AishaR

Thanx for your replies. I am concerned that if anything happened to me then my family would not be looked after as I look after them now. At the moment I help my parents, in laws & children with money. If I wasnt here then they would struggle.

My brother in law had a car accident recently which he shouldnt have survived, so it hit home about my situation.
Any ideas on how I can make sure my family is catered for if I wasnt around??

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

How about a type of savings account? Sometimes you get paid interest so just ask for 0% interest to be paid into the account.

yasmin623

Assalamualaikum...

Dear sis AishaR...

your worry tells us why insurance is important to exist. I am sorry to say that only insurance serves this porpuse the best. I could understand your feelings as I had the same experience before...If you really can`t find any halal insurance company in your country, I will suggest you to make some investment in some islamic investment firms. Do the best financial planning to pool a fund for your family and make a will if necessary...May God guide us the right way...:tti_sister:

Dear all other brothers and sisters...

Please understand that my point is that the concept of insurance (perhaps life insurance specifically) is NOT haram provided the management of the funding is halal. Life insurance is NOT a gambling at all as what is being insured (death) will sure happen...so the factor that determine halal or haram lies on the management of the funding...

I understand the point about Ribaa... What I wanna emphasize here is NOT the RIBAA question as I already state clear in my last post that the management of the funding has to be according to syariah (islamic law).

About HALAL insurance company, maybe in your countries, there is no such insurance company but in my country there are HALAL insurance companies. All these companies are under the close monitoring of our government Islamic bank to ensure all funds being managed according to islamic law. So we are quite secure to set up these kind of insurance policy. It is one of the important tools for financial planning in fact.

About false claims...probably it is NOT the problem of the insurance itself...it is human problem brother...:girl3:

About saving account...yes...unfortunately I think the interest is HARAM and we can not take it... Again, I do not have problem because we have islamic banks in our country...

faiz_fauzi

In my country there is islamic insurance company.It does not include any interest.And also Islamic banking that cover u in case of emergency and accident.So it is ok to make investment through them.
JazalALLAHU khair!

Marwa17

insurance isn't the issue...it's LIFE insurance...
I've also heard that it's haram...i'm sorry but i'm kind of confused...are you guys saying that car insurance is wrong?...cause we can't really drive without it...

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

If you are forced to take out insurance and there is an accident, it is permissible for you to take from the insurance company the same amount as the payments you have made, but you should not take any more than that. If they force you to take it then you should donate it to charity.

Hope this helps.

azhar1973

i want to be a looser!

assalamualaikum insurance is not gambling. a person"s faith depends on his intenson.
first of all does a person who goes for a insurance policy intends to win.
does he says o ALLAH make me a winner, please kill me so that i may win and my family gets the insured amount. no never, instead each one of us pray to ALLAH that we should be in good of our healths and there should not arise a situation when we should feel yeah we have won the insurance amount.
insurance infact is an act which shows that we care for our family.
insurance in which there is no interest money involved is halal atleast i think but ALLAH knows best. as far as gambling is concerned can anyone show me a gambler who says i do not want to win? so how can people compare gambling with insurance where a insured person never wants to win (die, have an accident, or fall sick).

may ALLAH forgive me if i m wrong
azhar -calcutta-
india

yasmin623

Dear bro. Azhar,

I agreed with you... Now things are clearer in this matter.:hijabi:

Dear bro. Marwa17,

The car insurance does not involve any benefit sharing in term of RIBAA. it is halal. Even life insurance is the same if the funding being managed according to the syariah. Anyway, now I could understand that most of the countries probably do not have a halal insurance company for life insurance.

Dear Bro Abdul Raheem,

May I know from where you get this `fatwa` from...? One has to check back the management of the insurance funding before making a claim that it is haram. As far as personal accident insurance or car insurance is concerned, it is halal in my country.

Thank oyu everybody for sharing your views and opinions. May Allah guide us always.:SMILY259:

albinsaid09

Confused..

So am i correct to say that putting money in a bank any getting interest, life insurance policy or any insurance are all haram? Wouldn't that make someone working in a bank and getting his salary from the bank or someone selling this policy a haram act? Can someone explain from a fatwa or any sheikh.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

We seek refuge in Allaah from following our desires over the legislated sunnah, here is what I found, may Allaah direct us all to the truth.

Question:

What is the ruling on Insurance, wether it be life insurance or property insurance?
Answer:

Insuring one's life and property is forbidden; it is not permissible due to the fact that Al-Gharar and usury are involved therein. And Allah - the Almighty the All-Powerful - has forbidden all types of dealings that involver usury and dealings in which there is Al-Gharar, as a mercy for the (muslim) community and a protection for them for what is harmful to them. Allah - Most Glorified, Most High says:

"wheras Allah has permitted trading and forbidden riba" (usury). Al-Baqarah 2:275

And it has been authentically reported from the Messenger of Allah (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) that he forbade selling AL-Gharar. And Allah is the granter of success.

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz
Fatawa Islamiyah, volume 5 / page 19

I'm not too sure what Al-Gharar is, but according to my Dictionary (Hans Wehr), it is "risk, hazard, jeopardy, danger, peril".

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I apologise for this double-post, but for some reason I can't edit my last post,

So am i correct to say that putting money in a bank any getting interest, life insurance policy or any insurance are all haram? Wouldn't that make someone working in a bank and getting his salary from the bank or someone selling this policy a haram act? Can someone explain from a fatwa or any sheikh.

There are narrations in Saheeh Muslim;

[QUOTE='Abdullah (b. Mas'ud) (Allah be pleased with him)]"Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) cursed the one who accepted interest and the one who paid it I asked about the one who recorded it, and two witnesses to it. He (the narrator) said: 'We narrate what we have heard"

Book 010, Number 3880[/QUOTE]

Book 010, Number 3881:

Jabir (Allah be pleased with him) said:
"Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) cursed the accepter of interest and its payer, and one who records it, and the two witnesses, and he said: 'They are all equal.'"

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
`Afwaan Jiddan, I hate to post three times in a row (instead of once). I take it you can only edit posts in certain parts of the forums (I'm new as you can see), as that is the case with me at the moment. Albinsaid09, you requested a fatwa from a Shaykh, well here is something that inshaa' Allaah will suffice us;

Working for a company which takes a loan from a bank which deals with ribaa
*Please appropriately reference this fatwa to: www.fatwa-online.com, thankyou!*

Question: I am an accountant in a trading company, and this company is forced to take out loans from a bank which deals in ribaa. Then a copy of the loan agreement comes to me to confirm the company's debt and register it in the books. Am I considered one who records a ribaa-based transaction, and is it not permisisble for me to work for this company, meaning, am I considered a sinner as a result of this contract even though I did not approve it?

Response: It is not permisisble to work with this company in ribaa-based transactions, because the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) cursed those who ate/benefitted (aakil) from ribaa as well as the one responsible (for the transactions), the one who writes (the transactions) and the witnesses (to the transactions), and he said:

((...they are the same/equal...)), transmitted by Imaam Muslim.

And also Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says:

{...do not help one another in sin and transgression...}, [Soorah al-Maa.idah, Aayah 2].

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Silsilah Kitaab ad-Da'wah (1), al-Fataawa - Volume 1, Page 148

Was-salaamu `alaykum