little disturbed

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK,
This is not intended to be a complaint but just sharing with you the inconvenience i had. After a rough day, I was in the mosque prayed salat-ul-Asr and i was reading a surah in Quran. I saw a elderly man walking by and i just glanced a look at him. He all of a sudden told me to sit straight, and wear a Cap (Topi) , else you instead of rewarded with good deeds you will be given otherwise.

I was sitting say not a perfect right angle but also my posture was not so obtuse as well. i wanted to get some peace after a rough day but this one really disturbed me. i finished the Surah i intended to and left the masjid.

my point here is,

is it necessary that we have to wear a cap during salat or reading quran?

and what are the conditions or rules for reading Quran with respect to our sitting postures etc.

JAK

muslimummah

Just a brother
Is covering the head a shar’i obligation?
Could you give the scholars or mazhab names that their opinion stated that man also obligatory to cover their head.

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not know of anyone among the scholars who said that covering the head is obligatory for men, but a number of scholars have said that it is mustahabb, and they describe baring one’s head in front of people as being one of the things that undermine a man's status and character, especially if the man is elderly or is a scholar; if one of these people uncovers his head, that is worse than if anyone else does it.

The correct view is that it is not one of the things that undermine a man's status and character in all eras and in all environments, rather the ruling on that varies according to people’s customs.

Al-Shaatibi (may Allaah have mercy on him) divided people’s customs into two categories:

1 – Those concerning which there is shar’i evidence as to whether it is good or bad. In this case reference is to be made to sharee’ah, and what is customary among the people is of no importance.

For example, uncovering the ‘awrah is reprehensible according to sharee’ah, even though many people are accustomed to doing that.

Removing impurity is something that is good and is enjoined by sharee’ah, although many people do not pay attention to impurity on their clothes and do not protect themselves from that.

2 – Things which are customary among people and there is no shar’i evidence to prohibit it or enjoin it.

Such things are of two types:

(a) Established customs that do not change, such as the desire for food and drink.

(b) Customs that change, such as whether an action is regarded as good or bad, which varies from one society to another.

Al-Shaatibi described this type by saying, “Such as uncovering the head, which varies from one place to another; in the lands of the east (i.e. Egypt and lands to the east) it is reprehensible for people of prominent status, and in the lands of the west (i.e., North Africa and Islamic Spain) it is not reprehensible. The shar’i ruling varies accordingly; for people in the east it is to be regarded as undermining a man’s status and character, whereas for the people in the west it is not.

Al-Muwaaqifaat, 2/284

The point is that covering the head for men is one of the issues concerning which reference should be made to what is customary among the people. A man should do what is customary in the society in which he lives, so long as that does not go against sharee’ah, and so that he will not stand out by being different from them in his clothing etc in the manner that is forbidden in sharee’ah.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

BigAk

ASAK,
This is not intended to be a complaint but just sharing with you the inconvenience i had. After a rough day, I was in the mosque prayed salat-ul-Asr and i was reading a surah in Quran. I saw a elderly man walking by and i just glanced a look at him. He all of a sudden told me to sit straight, and wear a Cap (Topi) , else you instead of rewarded with good deeds you will be given otherwise.

I was sitting say not a perfect right angle but also my posture was not so obtuse as well. i wanted to get some peace after a rough day but this one really disturbed me. i finished the Surah i intended to and left the masjid.

my point here is,

and what are the conditions or rules for reading Quran with respect to our sitting postures etc.

JAK

I would not sweat it brother... Just put it behind you and move on... We all run into people who have certain ideas and conviction that are silly. Allah does not look at your head gear, beard, or the way your sitting. Allah looks in your heart and your intentions. I once had a guy stop me after salat Al Fajr to tell me that I needed to grow a beard. I was taken aback at first and ended up writing him a letter I passed on the next time I saw him. I have never grown a beard strictly out of preference, but I have nothing against those who do... Islam is far greater than giving value to such minor details.

Having said that; it is a coincident that today I have started listening to an old lecture by Shaik Ahmed Deedat titled "If the label shows your intention, wear it." He points out a few interesting points I never thought about. I have not finished listening to the whole thing though.... got busy with work.

Here's Deedat's lecture if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pr5nGRRweo

:salam2:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
wa 'alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

In Fiqhus Sunnah of Sayyid Sabiq, which being tahqiq by syaikh Abu Abdurrahman Nashir Al Albaani in Tamamul Minnah, he write this Hadits from Buraidah, he said: "Rasullah Shalallahu 'alaihi wa Sallam forbid someone to wear trousers without a turban (fabric which wrap his cap)."(Abu Daud and Al Baihaqi).Shahih Abu Daud (646)

So no need to use a cap when we use a Qamishah or a Sheath (sarung).

wa fiikum barakaallah.

wa 'alaikum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

salam aleikum

So no need to use a cap when we use a Qamishah or a Sheath (sarung).

I think you should bring daleel or fatwa about this ,not just your own explanation of the hadith

waaleikum salam

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
There is no special attire for prayer or reading the Quran. There are guidelines and etiquette. Clothes need to be clean, the worshiper needs to be taahir, the place needs to be clean and the mus-haf cannot be placed on the ground.

Caps are innovation and make Muslims look like the Jews. Sitting up straight is mandatory only when rising from prostration (sujood).

Just forgive your brother, he was mistaken but he meant well.

I'm quite disturbed with this statement (in blue). I know wearing a cap is optional but what to do with jews?

BigAk

I'm quite disturbed with this statement (in blue). I know wearing a cap is optional but what to do with jews?

I have also caught that and had the same concern... Now I'm wondering how the white cap came about in history... Any knowledgeable person care to enlighten us??

daywalker

leave it brother, we gotta walk naked if we dont wanna imitate at all with jews.

And they have cap we also have cap, but our cap differs in style from them. shikhs wear amamah, we too. but there one is different one than us.

daywalker

:wasalam: brother daywalker. If you always wear a head cap then it's OK to continue wearing it when you go to the mosque, but if you never wear a head cap until you enter the mosque then you're imitating the Jews who wear their yamakas mostly in religious services.
:salam2: Akhi if aperson cant wear whole day , it doesn´t mean he also cant wear it some time like while praying salah. and thee example given by you is same like those muslim who wear it all time like jews also wear whole time.

- some jews wear cap whole day, some muslim too
- some jews wear only during religious occasion, some muslim too.

dont see where is the problem.

if i didn´t take breakfast, it doesnt mean i shouldn´t take my lunch or dinner. =)

I will eat whenever i can, i will wear whenever i can!

Shaikh Albaani (May Allaah's mercy be on him) (From Al-Qawl Al-mubin fi akhta' Al-musallin by Mashhur Hussain on page # 58 of the 2nd edition): "Praying bareheaded is makruh (disliked)."

Shaikh Albaani (May Allaah's mercy be on him) (Al-Din al-khalis (3:214) and al-Ajwiba al-nafi`a `an al-masa'il al-waqi`a (p. 110): "All acknowledge that it is desirable for the Muslim to enter prayer in the most perfect Islaamic appearance, due to the hadeeth: "Allaah is worthier of your self- adornment" [hasan]. And it is not part of excellent attire in the custom of the Salaf to habitually bare one's head, and walk in that guise on the road and when entering places of worship. Rather, it is a foreign custom which infiltrated many Islaamic countries at the time the disbelievers invaded them and brought their habits with them. The Muslims began to imitate them in this, and they lost thereby their Islaamic personality as well as through other similar acts... Nor is it established that the Prophet ever prayed bareheaded and without a turban other than in the state of ihram, although there were plenty of occasions to report it if he did. Therefore, whoever claims that he did, let him produce the proof, for truth is more deserving to be followed."

Shaikh Albani (May Allaah's mercy be on him) goes on to explain the mistake of some brothers in Egypt who brought the proof of the permissibility to pray without covering the head by analogizing with how the head is uncovered for someone in ihraam during the pilgrimage. This is wrong since not covering the head during the pilgrimage is from the law (Sharee'ah) of Allaah. If their analogy was right then they should make it compulsory to pray without any head covering at all since it is obligatory to do so during the pilgrimage and to follow all the other restrictions of Ihraam in regular life! [Tamaam-ul-Minnah fee ta'leeq 'alaa fiqh-us- Sunnah by 'Allaamah Albaani]

Allamah Jauzi (Allah's mercy be on him) (From Fatawa Rahimiyya 3:202 #308.): "To keep the head bare before the people is an act which is looked down upon and is against gentleness, humanness, etiquette, and gentlemanly decorum."

daywalker

Brother daywalker, you're not getting the point I'm making and I don't know how I can make it any clearer, so let's agree to drop the subject.
ähmm did u read after i edited my post?

yep, hope brother has understood about the point of kufi/cap.

we can drop the subject here.

daywalker

You are free brother to wear a cap whenever you like. But to claim that it is an integral part of the prayer is an innovation.
:salam2: akhi help me out with the meaning what a makruh deed effects a person salah. should we stay away from makruh acts in salah or not?

having bare head is considered as makruh act for salah, and wearing it has consirederd as sunnah and mustahab

Allamah Jauzi (Allah's mercy be on him) (From Fatawa Rahimiyya 3:202 #308.): "To keep the head bare before the people is an act which is looked down upon and is against gentleness, humanness, etiquette, and gentlemanly decorum."

Hanbali Fiqh (Quoted By Ibn Qudama, al-Mughni (1994 ed.) 1:404-405): "It is mustahab to pray using a Thawb, Silwar (Sunnah pants) or a Izaar (loincloth) and a turban"

Maalik Fiqh (Quoted by Ibn Abi Zayd, al-Jami` fi al-sunan (1982 ed.) p. 228): Imaam Maalik said "The turban was worn from the beginning of Islaam and it did not cease being worn until our time. I did not see anyone among the People of Excellence except they wore the turban, such as Yahya ibn Sa`id, Rabi`a, and Ibn Hurmuz. I would see in Rabi`a's circle more than thirty men wearing turbans and I was one of them, and Rabi`a did not put it down until the Pleiades rose (i.e. until he slept) and he used to say: "I swear that I find it increases intelligence."

Shafi`i Fiqh (Quoted by Al-Misri in Reliance of the Traveller p # 122): "It is mustahab to pray using an ankle-length Thawb and a turban"

Hanafi Fiqh (Quoted by Al-Shurunbali in Muhammad Abul Quasem p #91): It is mustahab or praiseworthy to pray using "three of one's best clothes, a Thawb, Silwar (Sunnah pants), and turban or kufi" According to the Hanafi school (Al-Jazayri, al-Fiqh `ala al-madhahib al-arba`a, Kitab al- Salat p. 280-28) [among] the disliked acts (al-makruhat) in prayer are:... i`tijar, which is to tie a scarf around the head and leave the center bare;... [or] praying bareheaded out of laziness.

it used to be one of the etiqutte of salaf to achieve more khushu and khudu in the salah that they take care of every sunnah of the salah, and stay away from doing any makruh act.

We follow the salaf to learn sunnah, mustahab an dother act. for obligatory acts , quran and riwayah are present.

daywalker

Of course, Akhi, but the prayer is invalidated only by violating a mandate or doing a forbidden thing.
:salam2: akhi why you running again and again with words like invalidated or nullifieng the salah? in which post i said that its obligatory, even my last 2 post i even mentioned the words khushu and khudu which should be in prayer, and take care about mustahab effects a persons khushu and khudu.
Furthermore, in order for something to be makrooh (discouraged), evidence from the Quran or the authentic hadeeth must be provided.
Akhi, can you please mention which acts are considered as makruh from the hadith? jazakallahu khair.

salaf even considered to give sujud on cloths (like imam malik(rh) considered to give sujud on the ground). and there are a lot of things which were considered mustahab and makruh from the acts of salaf. so the practise of salaf and their opinion is considered as mustahab or makruh.
That's an opinion of a highly regarded scholar. No evidence (Daleel) provided. None of the words he used implies a mandate or prohibition.
Akhi the scholars knows better which things effected the khushu and khudu of salah.
How does that provide evidence for a head cap? It only says that a turban is recommended. It doesn't say not wearing a turban invalidates the prayer!
And you know better how prophet(sw) used to wear turban(kufi under turban). and from the sh.albanis post it has been clear that bare headed salah has been considered as makruh. so you may avoid it by wearing turban or kufi.
That seems to suggest that you should wear a turban, brother, not a cap! Rabee`a's comment about intelligence is certainly his opinion. Imitating the Sahaaba is certainly a good thing but is not mandatory.
and good thing effects a person salah =)
He said Mustahabb and praiseworthy; he didn't say mandatory. Big difference. He couldn't say mandatory because he would've had to prove it and there's no such proof.
who said actuelly its mandatory, and from which of my post you got the feelings that i wanna try to say its obligatory? till now i have used words like sunnah,mustahab and makruh.

pcozzy

ASAK,

my point here is,

JAK

:salam2:

brother, I have experienced worse by an elderly man, but as a muslim we must respect our elders. By no means I am saying that you didn't respect him.

I just tell them :jazaak: and keep it in mind to make some effort into understanding if this is something that needs to be acted upon.

As a muslim, we act on Quran and Sunnah, and we do our best to please Allah subhanna-wata3alla.

If this makes you feel better, I was sitting in the masjid waiting for maghrib about 4 years ago, I was also stressed out so I was not cheery or smiling. An old man from syria, may Allah bless him and grant him paradise, walked by me and said with a (startled) reaction:

Oh! YOUR APPEARANCE IS FRIGHTENING!

with no smile or anything, and a very serious mode. He said it in Arabic, and the translation takes away from the vigor of the statement. All I did was smile. Then I asked Allah during and througout the prayer of maghrib to please guide me to His Deen(way of life).

So, we move on and ask Allah for forgiveness, mercy, and to change our hearts to His deen.

:wasalam: