Make up - confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam alaikum,

If a girl has a pure heart and only intends for a good sake such as wearing make up for confidence at school is it haram?

I mean, in the heart she's 100% sure and doesn't want to attract boys, it's an all-girl's school so it's unlikely that would happen. She covers up fully and is pure in the heart, she just feels a tiny bit of make up (blusher to tone her cheeks and a hint of masara) to get her going. It's not that she doesn't think she's beautiful, she just feels it boosts confidence that's all.

So basically is it haram when you have a pure intention?

xAllahKnowsBestx

Walaykum assalam sis. :)

As far as I'm aware, it's fine as long as she's around only girls and mahrams. So she has to be 100% sure that no non mahrams (guys) will be around if she's gonna wear make up.. The other thing is, no matter how pure your intentions are, even if you don't intend to "attract" guys, it is most likely to happen.. And that's a sin in and of itself, get what I'm saying? Hope that helped. :)

Oh, and this here is a reeaaaal confidence booster for hijabis out there. ;)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Ukhti what is haram is haram. It is haram to do anything that may attract the opposite gender, as in create fitnah. If it is something you did ignorantly and unintentionally then Allaah is Most Merciful and we are to repent. But incase it's something you know will create a fitnah than it's a real problem.

Like the sis above said, halal intention do not make haram stuff halal. e.g you cannot gift a non muslim something haram like Alcohol in an attempt to make friends with him, even if the intention is to do dawah.

To understand the concerned matter more, I suggest you read this thread posted by sister Al-fajr. I havent read it yet, but its got to be good. Do read it Inshaa'Allaah.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
sister it's haram!If I had known it before,I would have never did make up.I never intended to attract the opposite gender,but only for trend,I saw the other girls doing it and when I reached the 14 years old I started "rebelling" to my role of "male" in the body of a "female".I wore like a boy for not to attract them,but I liked make up.it was a fortune,because I met only one boy and he's my husband,mashallah.nowdays I can't allow to my daughters to behave as me in the past.I'll teach them their duties and when they'll be able to make the things of adults.:wasalam:

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaikum warahmatullaah!

Ukhty, why the need for make-up when Allaah SWT gave as our *own* complexion? Why is it that we want to 'change' up our God-given looks? Make-up will change your appearance, even if it has to be a wee bit.. There's nothing better than 'Natural' beauty! Just say Alhamdulillaah you have your face intact(eyes to see with, a nose to smell with, a mouth to taste with, etc) for there are many people(women) out there that Allaah SWT has deprived them of such pleasure.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I mean, why would blush and mascara give you confidence?
I have a skin condition on my face, and so i cover it up with some powder which is the same as my skin tone.

Do the other girls at the school wear mascara and blush?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Look through some older threads in the Sisters Club. There have been discussions on what is halaal. Yes, we as women do like to look good. Instead of mascara why not use khol. It is halaal.
The sisters have many suggestions to boost your confidence.

Muslim women look lovely. We have the inner glow.

But, check out the section.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Look through some older threads in the Sisters Club. There have been discussions on what is halaal. Yes, we as women do like to look good. Instead of mascara why not use khol. It is halaal.
The sisters have many suggestions to boost your confidence.

Muslim women look lovely. We have the inner glow.

But, check out the section.

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

Dear sister, it is not allowed for us to wear make up outside our home or infront of our non mahrams, and Alhmadulilah we are allowed to wear any make up in our homes and infront of our mahram persones.

MashAllah, we as Muslim woman are beautiful with our Hijabs and our modesty. There is no more beautiful make up of modesty, bashfulnees and shyness. :shymuslima1:

May Allah keep that beauty always in us. Ameen ya Rabby

Dear sister Aapa putting " kohl is not " Halal", but it is " Haram".

Please read the explination in the fatwa which I have posted bellow, Inshallah.

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

Rulling on wearing make up or kohl

It should be noted that it is not permissible for a woman to wear makeup in front of non-mahram men, because she is commanded to cover her face in front of them and because wearing makeup is an adornment that leads to fitnah. If she does that and then prays, she will have the reward for her prayer but she will have the burden of sin for tabarruj (wanton display).

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/129): There is no reason why a woman should not adorn herself by wearing makeup on her face, or kohl, or doing her hair in a manner that does not make her resemble kaafir women, but it is also essential that she cover her face in front of men who are not her mahrams. End quote.

It also says (17/128): Using kohl is allowed in Islam, but it is not permissible for a woman to show any of her adornment, whether kohl or anything else, to anyone other than her husband or mahrams, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

And Allaah knows best.

Source:Islam Q&A

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
^^Huh? Sister, don't be quick to label something as "Haraam" please. This 'fatwa' actually said that using kohl is *allowed* in Islaam. And that's that.
.. Nabiyyullaah used to put it on.. So therefore it is considered as sunnah. I've never seen this before though... When it was written in `Arabic, did the fatwa really mention kohl? Sometimes translators tend to add extra info to get the point across..

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Khol is good. It is sunnah. It also is medicinal. It soothes the eyes. Trust me, I am lazy and will not put on anything extra. Khol is good.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
^^Huh? Sister, don't be quick to label something as "Haraam" please. This 'fatwa' actually said that using kohl is *allowed* in Islaam. And that's that.
.. Nabiyyullaah used to put it on.. So therefore it is considered as sunnah. I've never this fatwa before though... When it was written in `Arabic, did the fatwa really mention kohl? Sometimes translators tend to add extra info to get the point across..

Dear sister please read again the fatwa which I have posted.

But for every case I will post again the response of Shaikh where he said regarding the rulling of putting " Kohl" for Muslim woman: " Using kohl is allowed in Islam, but it is not permissible for a woman to show any of her adornment, whether kohl or anything else, to anyone other than her husband or mahrams.

" Kohl" is aslo kind of make up and this is considered us showing our adorments as eyes on which there is make up ( does not metter which kind of make up, kohl, mascara or eyeliner) are beautifed eyes and they can attract more looks of man than the eyes on which there is not any make up. And Allah knows the best.

Yes, wearing the " Kohl" is Sunnah of our Prophet sallahu alyah wa salam, but this Sunnah refers only on man when been in home or outside of home, while it is Sunnah for us woman only when we are in our home.

Allah subhan wa teala sais: “…and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”[al-Noor 24:31]

Please sister read again the fatwa which I have posted. I hope Inshallah now you have understand it better.

May Allah guide us all.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

Dear sister please read again the fatwa which I have posted.

Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Kohl is halal, it's from the sunnah. The fatwa says it haram in front of Non mahrams. Not haram all in all. Your quote to Aapa where you said "Khol is Haram" is what is confusing people. When you say "Kohl is Haram" gives the impression that we cannot wear it at all. And that's not the case.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Kohl is halal, it's from the sunnah. The fatwa says it haram in front of Non mahrams. Not haram all in all. Your quote to Aapa where you said "Khol is Haram" is what is confusing people. When you say "Kohl is Haram" gives the impression that we cannot wear it at all. And that's not the case.

Wa allaicumu sallam wa raahmtullah wa barakatuhu

Dear sister please re-read again my posts, including the post in which I have quoted sister Aapa. InshAllah you will see that there is nothing confusing about it. Before saying that "kohl is haram", I have said that it is haram for Muslim women to wear makeup infront of non mahram men, so this was applying on considering kohl as haram when is weared outside of home and not that kohl is haram in general.

After that the fatwa was posted in which everything was perfectly well explained confirming what I have said above. InshAllah everything is now much more understandable.

Jazzak Allah khair

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmtullah wa barakatuhu

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sisters,

Khol is not considered a cosmetic. And for some of us we have to appear before men. Do not put sin upon me.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Allah says: “...that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (ordinary) appears thereof” [Sûrah al-Nûr: 31]

The ruling as to whether a woman can wear kohl (antimony) or eyeliner in public really depends on whether kohl or eyeliner can be considered as coming under the general provision of "what ordinarily appears". Since the face and hands are included by many scholars in what "ordinarily appears", that which is customarily used on the face and hands can be included in the exception.

This is reason why we observe in the corpus of Islamic law that a good number of jurists permit women to openly wear finger rings and henna on their hands. Many contemporary jurists allow fingernail polish for the same reason, since it compares closely with henna.

The ruling on kohl and eyeliner will consequently vary depending on the society in which the woman lives.

If the use of kohl eyeliner in a certain society is so ubiquitous and unremarkable that it generally goes unnoticed, then there is no problem with it. In this case, it is no more than a consequence of showing the face.

By contrast, in some societies it will certainly be wrong for a woman to go out in public wearing visible kohl or eyeliner, since according to the prevalent social norms in those cultures it will certainly attract the unwelcomed attention of onlookers.

Even in those societies where kohl and eyeliner do not generally attract attention, if wearing it causes a particular woman to draw increased attention to herself – either due to her exceptional beauty, or due to the uniqueness of some of her features, or due to the peculiar way she applies the cosmetic to her eyes – then she should personally refrain from wearing it in public, even if other women in that society can do so without objection.

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I read that it's a good thing if a woman does make up,but only in presence of her husband.so,at home she can have a line of khol in her eyes,and when she goes out with him,if he agrees,but if a married woman is out alone,it's haram for her to be parfumed and maked up because she's committing adultery by attracting the sight of non-mahras men.correct me if I'm wrong.:wasalam::)

Precious Star

I read that it's a good thing if a woman does make up,but only in presence of her husband.so,at home she can have a line of khol in her eyes,and when she goes out with him,if he agrees,but if a married woman is out alone,it's haram for her to be parfumed and maked up because she's committing adultery by attracting the sight of non-mahras men.correct me if I'm wrong.:wasalam::)

I won't comment on whether make up in public is halal or haraam, other than to say there is a way to do it so you do not look like a male magnet.

But sister, I think it is wrong to say that by wearing makeup and perfume in public you are committign adultery by attracting the "sight" of non-mahram men.

Adultery is very specific in the quran. It is sexual intimacy outside of marraige (not necessarily intercourse). And further, it is also encumbant upon the man to observe modesty. If a man fears that he will look at a woman on a street, and be attracted to her, then quite simply he should not leave the home until he has learned to restrain his glances. Obviously if a woman walks naked down the street or is very overt in her behaviour, then it is much harder not to look, lol! But for the average woman going about her business.....she should not have to worry about committing the sin of "adultery" because another man does not have enough strength to keep his eyes to himself.

Adultery - definitely not. If anything, if a man looks at a woman and feels attracted, then it seems to me that HE is committing adultery.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
I won't comment on whether make up in public is halal or haraam, other than to say there is a way to do it so you do not look like a male magnet.

But sister, I think it is wrong to say that by wearing makeup and perfume in public you are committign adultery by attracting the "sight" of non-mahram men.

Adultery is very specific in the quran. It is sexual intimacy outside of marraige (not necessarily intercourse). And further, it is also encumbant upon the man to observe modesty. If a man fears that he will look at a woman on a street, and be attracted to her, then quite simply he should not leave the home until he has learned to restrain his glances. Obviously if a woman walks naked down the street or is very overt in her behaviour, then it is much harder not to look, lol! But for the average woman going about her business.....she should not have to worry about committing the sin of "adultery" because another man does not have enough strength to keep his eyes to himself.

Adultery - definitely not. If anything, if a man looks at a woman and feels attracted, then it seems to me that HE is committing adultery.

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu dear sister

First of all I wish to advice you to please do not talk without knowledge for Islamic matters, and without evidence from Quran and Sunnah.

What sister " Hayat" said it is truth,and this can be find as proof in the Hadeeth of our Prophet sallahu alayha wa saalam where he said: "Which any woman go out perfumed and man feel her fragrance, she has cimmited zina". And this Hadeeth as well rulling in Islam refers on both man and woman.
Zina in Islam refers on many things, like zina of eyes( looks), thoughts, touch, speach and simular. It has been narrated that Allahs Messanger sallahu alyha wa saalam said in Saheeh hadeeth: Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Allah has written the very portion of Zina which a man will indulge in. There will be no escape from it. The Zina of the eye is the (lustful) look, the Zina of the ears is the listening (to voluptuous songs or talk), the Zina of the tongue is (the licentious) speech, the Zina of the hand is the (lustful) grip, the Zina of the feet is the walking (to the place where he intends to commit Zina), the heart yearns and desires and the private parts approve all that or disapprove it.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Seeing, listening, walking, etc., are means of committing the sin of fornication and adultery, but they have been termed so metaphorically so that every Muslim saves himself from them. If he does not try to save himself from them, his desires will find support from the private parts of his body; that is, he will incline to immoral acts. If he keeps himself away from the means of fornication and adultery, his private parts will crush his desires, that is to say he will be saved from immoral acts. This is the reason it is said that one should avoid glances, smiles, salutation, conversation, promises and then meetings which occur by stages on one's way to fornication and adultery.

Allah subhan wa teala has forbidden every ways which may lead to zina( whereever it refers on zina of looks only or real zina commited between man and woman) and these ways and rules are ordered and left us obligation from Allah for both Muslim man and woman.

That is why, the same like man should lower thier gaze and glance, the same woman should cover themslefe with Hijab and lower thier gaze.Rullings on modesty and keeping one modesty are very strict in Islam and these rulling can not be sepearated, but should be all apllied.

May Allah guide us all to the right path.

May Allah forgive me if I said anything wrong, it was not my intention.

Wa allaicumu saalam wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@precious Star,I don't know if it's Sunna or not,but here's the hadith:every eye is suscebtible of the pleasure.then,the woman who parfumes herself and walks on the street in front of men,she's so and so..."(to say a "an adulterer).reported byAbu Dawud and Tirmidi.

another hadith says:"oh men,forbide to your wives to wear their jewelry to show them into the mosque,because the israelit women<<n'ont été frappés de malédiction qu'une fois que leurs femmes se paraient pour se pavaner dans les lieux de prière>>".reported by ibn Maja.
the hadith is in french and I didn't know hoe to explain it in english,I sorry.:blackhijab:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

I don't see how this simple topic is fuelling so much debate. We've been plainly told not to dress up, perfume, or use make up in front of non-mahrams. So we don't do it. Men are responsible for lowering their gaze - but the woman is just as responsible for making sure she does nothing to increase that temptation. And if a woman walks down the street slathered in perfume you can smell from a distance, that's not really decreasing temptation, now is it? It's almost saying 'do you smell that? look at me.'

I know its natural for women to want to look good, and use perfume - but we need to inspect our base motives for putting on make up or perfume. We might say its for confidence's sake - but is it? When we're putting make up/perfume on, it means we want to look good, smell good. Why? Because we want others to think nicely of us. But that also means, you want others to actually look at you or notice the nice smell or pretty face.

Status
Not open for further replies.