Malaysia Recipes - Ayam Percik (Spicy Barbecued Chicken)

presa1200

AyamPercik.jpg

Special highlight:

Ayam Percik is a popular local delicacy, especially in the east coast (Kelantan the Islamic City) of Peninsular Malaysia. It tastes rather sweet than spicy, with strong coconut milk smell. It is usually prepared by grilling chicken, parts or whole, over fire with intermittent sprinkling of the percik sauce on the chicken such that when the chicken gets cooked a pasty layer of sauce with distinct smoke flavour cover both sides of the chicken. Presently, this dish is only available at food stalls and restaurants around the country.

If you interested to visit Malaysia don't forget to tour around Kelantan the Islamic City, sure you'll find delicious Ayam Percik cooked by professional chef.

Ingredients:

5 Whole Chicken Legs
4 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
2 Teaspoons Tamarind Pulp (Known as Asam Jawa)
4 Lemon Grass/Cymbopogon,(bruised)
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Thick Coconut Milk (Can use powder or liquid-packed)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
Salt to Taste

Marinade:

1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder

Spice Paste (Percik Sauce):

4 Candlenuts/Kemiri
6 Cloves Garlic
9 Dried Chillies, soaked in Hot Water
3 Red Chillies
2 cm (3/4 inch) Ginger
5 Shallots

Method:

1) Mix the marinade, combine with the chicken and set aside for 1 hour.
2) Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend finely.
3) Heat Oil in a frying-pan and fry the spice paste, tamarind and lemon grass for 5 minutes.
4) Add water and cook for another 3 minutes.
5) Put in Coconut Milk, sugar and salt and simmer over a medium fire for 5 minutes.
6) Barbecue the chicken over a low charcoal fire or under a grill, basting frequently with the gravy, until the chicken is cooked.
7) Serve the chicken with spice paste pour onto it.

Ingredient reference:

1) Tamarind Pulp

tamarint.jpg

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind

2) Lemon Grass

lemongrass.jpg

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbopogon

3) Coconut Milk

freshcoconut3.jpg

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk

4) Chili Powder

ChiliPowderBlendFiesta.jpg

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_powder

5) Turmeric Powder

turmeric_powder.gif

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

6) Candlenut

kemiri.jpg

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlenut

hambaAllah

Salivating...drooooooling...tks

:bismillah:
:salam2:

Maybe i will have to innovate a liitle have,, no "anglow" nor a grill so will try baking it after i asked my son :):) thanks for the recipe too

:wasalam::hijabi:

presa1200

Maybe i will have to innovate a liitle have,, no "anglow" nor a grill so will try baking it after i asked my son :):) thanks for the recipe too

:salam2: :SMILY259:

thanks for ur reply... r u from southeast Asia? yes in such condition you can bake it instead of grill. But please make sure basting the surface of chicken with the spice paste/percik sauce every 1-2 minutes... Without doing this the chicken would be rather plain.

hambaAllah

:jazaak: bro,, Im an old malay singaporean :hijabi:muslimah who have just rediscovered her deen, like one and half year ago:SMILY23::SMILY23::salah::tti_sister:Alhamdulillah..Allah swt
guides whom he wants regardless of age...Ameen Ya Rabbal Alameen

:jazaak: for tips too

aDYiNGdream

Aspiring Mutawakkil

dat looks really good. wonder where i would be able to find candlenuts? anybody know if they sell em here in america?

:wasalam:

dawahforever

Asalaamu Alaikum

This is what they served for the kenduri when we "balik kampung" 8 yrs ago. (no we are not still there but my hubby is a mat kelate :)

dianne

Asalaamu Alaikum

This is what they served for the kenduri when we "balik kampung" 8 yrs ago. (no we are not still there but my hubby is a mat kelate :)

Salam sis,
how are you? not balik kampung? ive been busy baking for eid LOL
salam ramadhan to u & family.
wassalamualaikum

dawahforever

Wa Alaikum Salaam

Yeah you guys have to start early with all the cookies for so many guests. Here there are not so many guests so we tend to do things at the last minute..few days before. Selamat Berpuasa semua.

Wa Salaamu Alaikum

Elie JAMES

Baked Seafood Au Gratin

Spice Mix:
2 tablespoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Stew:
5 pounds venison chuck or leg meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
3/4 pound dried apricots
1/2 pound dried prunes
1 cup dry red wine
6 cups beef broth
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 pound onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir together ingredients for Spice Mix and set aside. In a large bowl, place venison and toss with entire spice mixture. Cover withplastic wrap, set in the refrigerator and leave overnight.
On cooking day, combine dried fruit and red wine in bowl, and set aside. Heat a large saute pan until very hot, add a little oil. Add meat in batches and replenish oil as needed to brown meat well on all sides. Remove meat to 8-quart stock pot as it browns. Deglaze
saute pan with a bit of stock to melt drippings. Transfer drippingsto stock pot along with the rest of beef and chicken stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 2 hours or until meat is tender. When meat is done, strain off and save the cooking liquid. Set meat aside temporarily.
In same stock pot, which you have now emptied, melt butter and cook until it bubbles, but doesn’t burn. Stir or whisk in flour. Brownit lightly to make a roux. Slowly add strained-off cooking liquid to make a sauce. Add enough liquid for desired thickness. Let simmer
5 minutes. Add meat, dried fruit and wine. Meanwhile, saute onions

E-Cookbooks Fish & Game Recipe Sampler in a small amount of oil. Add to stew with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

RecipezWorld

revert2007

Love Fishing
can anyone give me the recipe for satay and rendang?but for rendang i need to use a lot of coconut right.am afraid i cant find the raw coconut in egypt.what can i replace it with?and good recipe on telur bungkus and nasi goreng ayam kunyit?those are my husban'd favourite.can i make satay through oven

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
Assalamualaikum. You can replace coconut with milk.. that's how we malaysians do here in jordan.

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
can anyone give me the recipe for satay and rendang?but for rendang i need to use a lot of coconut right.am afraid i cant find the raw coconut in egypt.what can i replace it with?and good recipe on telur bungkus and nasi goreng ayam kunyit?those are my husban'd favourite.can i make satay through oven

Assalamualaikum. You can replace coconut with milk.. that's how we malaysians do here in jordan.