Man crashes plane into Texas office building

blue streak

:salam2:
Can someone explain why this is not being called terrorism?

Man crashes plane into Texas office building
Officials: Pilot was upset with IRS, act may have been intentional
msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 4:05 p.m. ET, Thurs., Feb. 18, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas - A software engineer upset with the Internal Revenue Service set fire to his home Thursday and then flew his plane into a multistory office building that houses federal tax employees, authorities said.

The pilot was presumed to have died in the crash, federal law enforcement officials said. At least two people were injured and a third person who worked in the building was unaccounted for, fire officials said.

The crash caused a raging fire that sent black smoke billowing from the seven-story Echelon Building. The fire was extinguished hours later.

Federal law enforcement officials said they were investigating whether the pilot crashed on purpose in an effort to blow up IRS offices.

About 190 IRS employees work in the building, and IRS spokesman Richard C. Sanford the agency was trying to account for all of its workers.

The pilot, listed in FAA and property records as Andrew Joseph Stack 3rd of Austin and identified by law enforcement sources as Joseph Stack, apparently had a long-running dispute with the IRS.

Stack apparently left a long message, dated Thursday, on his company Web site outlining problems with the IRS and said violence "is the only answer."

"If you’re reading this, you’re no doubt asking yourself, 'Why did this have to happen?' The simple truth is that it is complicated and has been coming for a long time," the note begins.

The Web site was taken offline Thursday afternoon by the hosting company at the request of the FBI.

Video: Small plane crashes into building in Austin
A senior law enforcement official told NBC's Pete Williams the saga began Thursday morning, when police received a domestic disturbance call at Stack's house, about six miles from the crash site. When they responded, they discovered that the man had lit a fire in his house and fled. They said he went to the Georgetown Municipal Airport, got into his small plane and took off.

A short time later, the plane crashed into the office building about 30 miles away. Federal authorities said they did not know whether the man crashed the plane intentionally, though they said it was a distinct possibility, the official told NBC.

House fire
Elbert Hutchins, who lives one house away from Stack's home in a quiet, tree-lined middle-class neighborhood, said the house caught fire about 9:15 a.m. He said a woman and her teenage daughter drove up before firefighters arrived.

"They both were very, very distraught," said Hutchins, a retiree who said he didn't know the family well. "'That's our house!' they cried 'That's our house!' "

A plane belonging to Stack took off a short time later from an airport in Georgetown, Texas, and the pilot didn't file a flight plan, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Lynn Lunsford said.

The Echelon Building is next to a major highway in north Austin, and the crash started fires on several floors of the building. Dozens of windows were blown out of the hulking black building and vehicles traveling on a nearby highway paused to look.

Two people were taken to a hospital, Austin Assistant Fire Chief Harry Evans said. The nature and severity of their injuries weren't immediately clear. A third person was unaccounted for, Evans said. The names of the victims were not immediately released.

Pilot's background

According to California Secretary of State records, Stack had a troubled business history, twice starting software companies in California that ultimately were suspended by the state's Franchise Tax Board.

He started Software Systems Service Corp. in Lincoln but that business license was suspended in 2004 for nonpayment of back taxes totaling $1,153, KCRA-TV in Sacramento reported. Another company, Prowless Engineering Inc. was suspended in 2000 for failure to file a 1994 tax return, according to KCRA.

Stack listed himself as chief executive officer of both companies.

According to records, Stack apparently moved to the Austin area around 2003 and ran Embedded Art, a small, independent software firm specializing in "process control and automation" and "complex software engineering development tasks."

In a rambling 3,200-word statement apparently posted on the company's Web site early Thursday morning and later taken down, Stack appeared to blame the IRS for the loss of tens of thousands in savings and retirement money over the years.

Administrative records show the Web site was registered to Joe Stack of San Marcos, Texas, in 2006.

Stack said his "nightmare" with the federal government dated to the early 1980s.

In one passage, Stack writes: “That little lesson in patriotism cost me $40,000+, 10 years of my life, and set my retirement plans back to 0. It made me realize for the first time that I live in a country with an ideology that is based on a total and complete lie. It also made me realize, not only how naive I had been, but also the incredible stupidity of the American public; that they buy, hook, line, and sinker, the crap about their 'freedom' … and that they continue to do so with eyes closed in the face of overwhelming evidence and all that keeps happening in front of them.”

He also wrote: "Why is it that a handful of thugs and plunderers can commit unthinkable atrocities (and in the case of the GM executives, for scores of years) and when it's time for their gravy train to crash under the weight of their gluttony and overwhelming stupidity, the force of the full federal government has no difficulty coming to their aid within days if not hours?

Toward the end, he wrote, “I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different. I am finally ready to stop this insanity. Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let's try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well.”

The IRS, CIA and FBI all have offices in the complex where the building that was struck is located, though it was not clear if they are all in the building that was hit.

The IRS Web site said an office of its EP Team Audit Program is located in the building where the plane crashed. The group, known as EPTA, examines employee benefit plans with 2,500 or more participants, according to the Web site.

The FBI said its office was not in the building.

In Washington, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama was briefed on the crash. The Homeland Security Department was investigating all angles but the case does not appear to be terrorism, Gibbs said.

'Huge fireball'
Peggy Walker, an IRS revenue officer who works in the building, said she was sitting at her desk when the plane crashed.

"It felt like a bomb blew off. The ceiling caved in and windows blew in. We got up and ran," she said.

Matt Farney, 39, who was in the parking lot of a nearby Home Depot, said he saw a low-flying private plane near some apartments and the office building just before it crashed.

"I figured he was going to buzz the apartments or he was showing off," Farney said, adding that the plane dipped down. "It was a ball of flames that was high or higher than the apartments. It was surreal. It was insane. ... It didn't look like he was out of control or anything."

A witness who described himself as a small-aircraft pilot told KXAN-TV that he witnessed the accident from the parking lot of a nearby restaurant.

“It was really low,” he said. “He brushed along a parking lot light … (and) shot right across the road. It was going really fast. … It sounded like the engine was on full blast. Then it whacked in-between the first and second floor.”

Tucker Thurman was driving to work when he said he saw a small plane flying very low over the highway. He said he saw it then bank heavily to the right before heading into the building.

"There was a huge fireball. It's right into the building," Thurman told the Austin Statesman.

Another witness told KXAN that the plane buzzed a nearby apartment building before hitting the office building.

“It looked like he had full control, but as soon as he cleared the apartments, he just dropped down. … It was within feet of the top of the apartment complex,” he said.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35460268/ns/us_news-life/page/2/

IslamicGirl24

Assalamu alaykum.

I am sickened and disgusted by the fact that the media completely hushed up this story...only because the man wasn't a Muslim!! Such biassed people!!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
If it was a muslim who crashed the plane.. there would be serious repercussions - 24/7 news coverage for months on end, added security everywhere, new "war on terrrors"... and the list goes on..

rightpath_357

Wow- I can imagine the news if it was a MUSLIM person who did that.

Probably something like " Terrorists strike again! Kill them all! Protect yourselves against the 5-year-old little MUSLIM girl next door! She might bomb your house! Her Barbie doll might have an automatic gun built into it! etc etc etc!"

:angryred:

AstagfirAllah

:astag:

May Allah whisk away the veil that blinds people to the truth. Ameen.

blue streak

This is the US definintion of terrorism:

Section 2656f(d) of Title 22 of the United States Code defines the term "terrorism" as "premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against non-combatant targets."

The Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as a crime that involves "the unlawful use of force against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives." (Title 28 CFR § 0.85)

This definition could not fit this incident any more perfectly, however is not being label an act of terror or getting any news coverage.

Lookingforlight

Slave of Allah
Because a non-Muslim did it- the title goes "man crashes..." If a Muslim would have done this the title would be "Muslim terrorist crashes...."

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brothers and sisters it did hit the news. You are all viewing the same old same old Fox and her friends..try the alternative sites that posted the letters and gave details. The news is out there. You have to try harder to search for it. Rense and whatreally happened released the letter that the gentleman wrote.

kayleigh

This was all over the news when it happened, and it was all they spoke about on the news channels when it happened. It was on the front page of all the major news papers all weekend, too. It wasn't hushed up. It's not the first time a non-Muslim has crashed a plane into a building (it happened in Miami shortly after 9/11 too).

Personally, I think whether or not it fits the definition of terrorism is debatable, and I don't believe his motives behind the attack were the same as a terrorists motives. That is what *I* think - the news, of course, won't call him a terrorist simply because he's white.

blue streak

This was all over the news when it happened, and it was all they spoke about on the news channels when it happened. It was on the front page of all the major news papers all weekend, too. It wasn't hushed up. It's not the first time a non-Muslim has crashed a plane into a building (it happened in Miami shortly after 9/11 too).

Personally, I think whether or not it fits the definition of terrorism is debatable, and I don't believe his motives behind the attack were the same as a terrorists motives. That is what *I* think - the news, of course, won't call him a terrorist simply because he's white.

My biggest concern here is not the coverage that this incident is getting but how it is covered and handled by the media. The media are not calling this an act of terrorism. Absolutely this incident is an act of terrorism and it fits the definition I posted earlier to a 'T'.