Alhamdulillah Marks & Spencer tells Muslim staff they CAN refuse to serve alcohol or pork

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
M&S tells Muslim staff they CAN refuse to serve alcohol or pork to customers

• Marks & Spencer's policy applies to Muslim staff in more than 700 stores
  • Shoppers are being asked to wait to pay for certain items at different till
  • Highlights divide among mainstream food retailers over religious workers

Marks & Spencer has told Muslim staff they can refuse to serve shoppers buying alcohol or pork, it has been revealed.

The chain has granted checkout workers in more than 700 stores permission to politely decline to serve customers for religious reasons.

Instead, shoppers are being asked to wait to pay for certain items at a different till.

PfZO58A.jpg

Policy: Marks & Spencer has told Muslim staff they can refuse to serve shoppers buying alcohol or pork

The policy highlights a divide among the mainstream food retailers over whether religious staff should be excused from certain tasks.

In contrast to M&S, Sainsbury's has told Muslim staff that there is no reason why they cannot handle goods such as alcohol and pork - even if they are not allowed to eat or drink the products.

A spokesman said the retailer's official guidelines - which see everyone treated 'fairly' - were written following consultations with religious groups, according to The Sunday Telegraph.

However, Morrisons - which is based in Bradford, where there is a large Muslim population - said it had a long-standing commitment to 'respecting and working around' workers' wishes not to handle certain products for religious or cultural reasons.

Meanwhile, Asda bosses have chosen not to allow Muslims who object to handling alcohol to serve customers on checkouts.

And Tesco agreed it 'would make no sense' to employ staff on a till who refused to touch specific items - but said it treats each case individually, with no specific policy in place.

Last week, shoppers buying alcoholic drinks for Christmas at a M&S store in central London were asked by a Muslim checkout worker to wait to be served by another member of staff.

One customer - who wishes to remain unnamed - told the newspaper she was 'taken aback' by the worker's request.

'I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady - who was wearing a headscarf - was very apologetic but said she could not serve me,' said the customer.

'She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.'

A M&S spokesman said the policy of tolerance acknowledges the beliefs of other religious workers, including Christians and Jews.

He added that the major retailer strives to promote 'an environment free from discrimination'.

In October this year, two Muslim workers won a discrimination case against Tesco after their bosses kept their prayer room locked.

article-2527820-1B3ED37C000005DC-149_634x374.jpg

'No sense': Meanwhile, Tesco said it 'would make no sense' to employ staff who refused to touch specific items

Abdirisak Aden and Mahamed Hasan, both aged 27, were among a number of devout Muslim employees at the supermarket who had lobbied for a prayer room since 2006.

In 2008, managers agreed to set aside a security office at the distribution depot in Crick, Northamptonshire, as a prayer room for Muslims.

But four years later, bosses set new restrictions on the use of the room which included keeping it locked when it was not in use.

Following an employment tribunal, Tesco was guilty of indirect discrimination - with the men awarded an undisclosed sum for ‘injury to their feelings’.

Source: DailyMail

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork.
Managers at a London store told the workers they could ask any shoppers trying to buy the items to wait until a different till was available, it emerged yesterday.
One shopper said: 'I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.

Policy: Marks & Spencer has told Muslim staff they can refuse to serve shoppers buying alcohol or pork

'I was taken aback. I've never come across that before.'
Last night, Marks & Spencer said the advice had been given in error and was not consistent with its national policy.
But customers bombarded the store's Facebook page to complain, while another site was set up calling on shoppers to boycott M&S.

More than 1,500 others put posts on MailOnline.
Customer Matt Syson wrote: 'If you have Christian workers who wish to refuse the sale of ladies' garments to male homosexuals or men's trousers to lesbians, I do hope you will stand by those workers' religious or personal beliefs.
'My family and I shall no longer purchase any goods from your company due to the implementation of this “one rule system” that creates further division and hatred within our communities.'
article-2527820-165CD5C8000005DC-513_634x456.jpg

Decision: The chain said the policy of tolerance acknowledges the beliefs of other religious workers
Angela Phillips posted: 'If M&S go ahead with this they are going to lose so many loyal customers.
'If they do not want to serve people with pork or alcohol they shouldn't work in the food hall. Simple!'
Heather Playdon posted on the store's Facebook page: 'I shan't be shopping in M&S any more. The quintessentially British retailer bows down to Muslim beliefs. And in turn alienates the majority of Christian and non-religious customers. Outrageous.'
Contrast: However, Sainsbury's has issued guidelines stating that all staff members must be treated 'fairly'

Sainsbury's guidelines state there is no reason why staff who do not drink alcohol or eat pork for religious reasons cannot handle them. Tesco said it made no sense to put staff on a till if they refused to touch certain items for religious reasons.
Asda said it would not deploy any Muslims on tills who objected to handling alcohol, while Morrisons, which is based in Bradford where there is a large Muslim community, said it would 'respect anyone's wishes not to handle products for religious or cultural reasons'.
Dr Michael Nazir-Ali, the former Bishop of Rochester, said: 'If supermarkets do not put up a notice saying “This desk does not handle alcoholic beverages”, shoppers could be humiliated when they get to the checkout.'
An M&S spokesman said: 'Customer service is our priority. Where we have an employee whose religious beliefs restrict food or drink they can handle, we work closely with our member of staff to place them in a suitable role, such as in our clothing department or bakery.
'We regret that in the case highlighted today we were not following our own policy.
'As a secular business we have an inclusive policy that welcomes all religious beliefs.
'This policy has been in place for many years, and when followed correctly, we do not believe that it should compromise our ability to offer the highest level of customer service. We apologise that this policy was not followed in the case reported.
Source: DailyMail
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Pity!

Jannahsweetie

jannah sweetie
Asalam alaykum, I think it would be better if they either found a job which does not involve haraam food and drink, or work in another department.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:bismillah:
:salam:
Alcohol are always on matured theme in fact in many country policies restricted on selling of Alcohol
granted only for those above 21 years old age usually selling of Alcohol can be seen at counter that will include an assistance of the department store to ensure that not just anybody
can make purchase on buying Alcohol in concluded, the price of each alcohol can be very expensive altogether if those supermarket selling Alcohol can create some
special section for those buying liquor and altogether make payment for pork too at the same checkout counter :holaaaaaa:

M&S has made very wise and matured decision helping to recognise and respect sensitive issues on its worker's believe thus altogether will earn respect back from the community and support.
Keep up the good work!

masha'allah!
Thank you for sharing,
Take care,
~Wasslam :)

Cariad

I'm sorry but I don't think this is a good thing, by that I mean good also for muslims. It causes division between people, already it has been cause for resentment by some customers and by highlighting muslims for "special" treatment and rules it seem wrong. Other religious groups are not given the same consideration so it comes across as discrimination.

The UK is not an Islamic country and where it is right to respect the views of others that should be equal for all. It is not, Christians are often told they have to work on Sundays, which is against their belief, but it's work or lose your job or find a job that does not involve having to work on Sundays. I can understand why a customer would be annoyed if they had a basket of goods to pay for and could not pay for it all in one go or have to wait for different staff etc. No one is asking a Muslim employee to eat the pork products or drink the alcohol so I fail to see why it should be a big issue. In fact many muslims have no problem selling or serving alcohol to non muslims if it is their shop or restaurant doing the selling. Would it not be easier for muslims who do not wish to handle such goods at all find employment in another area of the store, clothes or furnishings?

It's a shame when muslims feel they need to be seen as a special case. I'm sorry but you are all ordinary people the same as everyone else.

Peace.

Oh, sorry I did not see the article was from the Daily Mail, I understand now.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Daily Mail, as I have heard, might be kind of media what loves scandal news in general.

:rolleyes:

I think that aim was good from the Marks & Spencer but way they did it might not.

Jannahsweetie

jannah sweetie
There are many other places Muslims can work which do not sell alcohol or haraam foods. How about halal food factory or bakery. Or receptionist in dental surgery or clothes store.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
There are many other places Muslims can work which do not sell alcohol or haraam foods. How about halal food factory or bakery. Or receptionist in dental surgery or clothes store.
This is true, but with jobs scarce and families to provide for, I can understand decisions have to be made.

This is a strange story, I wonder how much of it is true. I think Cariad says it best
Oh, sorry I did not see the article was from the Daily Mail, I understand now.
:SMILY198:

zohra94

Asalam alaykum, I think it would be better if they either found a job which does not involve haraam food and drink, or work in another department.
True.
I don't really understand how this is supposed to help the believing Muslims at all. Telling a person that they'll have to purchase the alcohol from another cashier is a a way of supporting people who buy alcohol even though they don't directly sell it to these people. The only thing that would be allowed in Islam is to make them not buy alcohol at all... or to quit the job and find something else.

If we only come across haram jobs, it is better to wait and be patient until a halal job pops up. We don't need to work all the time if Allah doesn't want us to...

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
M&S apologises after Muslim assistant refused to sell customer alcohol
www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/23/marks-and-spencer-muslim-alcohol

M&S seem to have done a U-turn. I think the going to another till scenario was silly and would only get people annoyed, who wants to queue up twice? That employees who do not wish to handle certain items can be placed in a "suitable role" seems the best way.

I never heard that we shouldn't handle pork though. One time I was looking at the halal chicken, somebody had placed a pack of bacon on top - they had to bring it from quite far along the aisle so it was clearly deliberate. I just moved the bacon and pitied the person that did that.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
I never heard that we shouldn't handle pork though. One time I was looking at the halal chicken, somebody had placed a pack of bacon on top - they had to bring it from quite far along the aisle so it was clearly deliberate. I just moved the bacon and pitied the person that did that.

In your trolley?

We can touch pork / pigs, and especially so if it is necessary to do so. Eating, Buying/selling pork is forbidden. Some non-Muslims think we will dissolve into dust if we were to come in contact with pigs.. a bit like garlic and vampires lol

Jannahsweetie

jannah sweetie
What about other haraam products, like beef,chicken, etc? Why don't they just make a halal till & a haraam till lol. Why would we need to touch the pigs or pork ? Yes I have seen some workers who are muslim working in haraam pizza places when there are around 80%halal places to work in that area. Allah knows best

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

In my opinion, all people and thier belifs should be respected and this is according to teaching of our religion Islaam, Alhamdulillah.We as Muslims should not work at all at the places where is selled Alcohol or pork, because in this case we will be obligated to sell and do what is haram.

In this case, there was no any difffrence for these Muslims that they were working in the place where haram items are sold, so I do not understand the reason why they refused to serve these people.

May Allah help and guide our Muslim Ummah. Ameen summa Ameen..

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu