Marriage: Islamically/Legally?

justme1983

Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

I'm wondering if it's okay to get married Islamically but not legally? (Legally meaning getting a marriage license in the U.S.) And I don't mean a temporary marriage, which I know is not allowed, I mean a "real" marriage.

I hope my question makes sense!

majaan

walikum salaam.
the islamic marriage makes your marriage A MARRIAGE, it makes it lawful...you dnt need to gt a marriage license in usa to make ur marriage lawful. but u might need that for other purposes, ie if u need to prove that your married under their law too. cz under the law of Allah ur nikah is ur marriage.

allahul3alam

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: if you do not have a wali, the Imam may agree to be a wali for your marriage. any particular reason why you would not also like a civil ceremony? a marriage must have two witnesses and a wali and not be a secret - this protects both parties.

:wasalam:

justme1983

I would LOVE to get married legally as well and insha'Allah we will but not right now. It's a long story that I don't want to get into. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into something that isn't okay. It's sort of weird for me to think that you're actually married if it's not on paper (with the state, ya know?). I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it and make sure what I'm doing is halal. Insha'Allah we'll get a marriage license with the state not long after we're married Islamically.

cmelbouzaidi

I would LOVE to get married legally as well and insha'Allah we will but not right now. It's a long story that I don't want to get into. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into something that isn't okay. It's sort of weird for me to think that you're actually married if it's not on paper (with the state, ya know?). I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it and make sure what I'm doing is halal. Insha'Allah we'll get a marriage license with the state not long after we're married Islamically.
:salam2: i was just making sure u knew that a secret marriage is not a marriage. However, getting married at the masjid with a wali and two witnesses should be fine, Insha Allah. :wasalam:

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Most religous "houses of worship" will recommend the full-legal marriage in the US. Being that in the US, inheritance is considered first by marriage, if something were to happen to you, if the legal system does not recognize that you are married, you could mess up your inheritance.

Also, for things like medical insurance through your work - you need to be legally married for your spouse to be covered under your plan in the majority of cases.

I say, it is better to be safe than sorry! When my husband married his ex-wife in America at a mosque, the Imam had them apply for a marriage license and bring the forms for his signature when they got married - said he wouldn't marry them without the US-legal papers as well (it only takes a couple days to get a license).

I am sure a knowledgable Imam would be able to adivise you specifically, but I say do it both ways - Islamically and legally.

Lana