May Allah protect us from such sickness

Ershad

Gay-friendly 'mosque' opens in Paris
A prayer room described as Europe's first gay-friendly mosque is opening on the outskirts of Paris.

The new centre is run by Ludovic-Mohamed Zahed, a gay Islamic scholar, married to a gay man, and the founder of Homosexual Muslims of France.

Mr Zahed regularly attends the Grand Mosque in Paris, but says he wants to create a more "inclusive" place for gay, lesbian and transgender Muslims.

He says many of them felt uncomfortable praying in established mosques.

"Many gay men don't go to the mosque because they don't want to be recognised," says Mr Zahed.

"They don't want to be ostracised because they wear earrings or because they're effeminate or they're transgender, something that's pretty obviously rejected in many mosques in France," he says.

Mr Zahed's South African gay husband has encountered similar problems. "The first time he came to the mosque he was wearing earrings. After the prayers somebody came up to him and tried to take them off and told him, 'This isn't right, you shouldn't do that here'. It was a kind of soft but very obvious aggression," says Mr Zahed.

He cites another recent case of what he describes as discrimination. "A transgender from a Muslim background died last summer. It was hard to find an imam to pray for her. Nobody wanted to. In the end, we had to do it. We had to pray for her," says Mr Zahed.

Buddhist space

For the moment the place of worship is a room in a Buddhist prayer hall. The room holds more than 20 people and is decorated with calligraphy in Chinese characters.

London Imam Ajmal Masroor says that Mr Zahed's meeting room does not constitute a mosque as it does not fully adhere to Islamic preaching and practice.

Mr Zahed says his "mosque" is not trying to be specifically gay-friendly, but "inclusive". He is also trying to integrate the sexes in Islam. He wants men and women to be able to pray together, not just "gay and straight".

Men and women pray together in Mecca, he says, so why can't they in ordinary mosques?

So far the reaction from the rest of the Muslim community in France has been mixed. France has the largest Muslim community in Europe outside Russia.

The Paris Grand Mosque has issued an unequivocal statement. "The fact that he's opening a mosque or a prayer room is something that's outside the Islamic community. The Koran condemns homosexuality. It is banned," said a Grand Mosque spokesman.

Other Muslims have been intrigued enough to ask Mr Zahed how he justifies his stance. "People are trying to understand who we are, where we come from, what our interpretation of this or that verse of the Koran is, and that's diversity and dialogue and I'm happy with it," says Mr Zahed.

He also says he has received messages of support from ordinary Muslims in France.

Safety concern

He is, however, concerned enough about the safety of his new congregation to be reticent about revealing exactly where it will be meeting.

At the moment Mr Zahed is not getting any special protection from the French police and the French authorities have told him they are not aware of any specific threats from within the Muslim community.

But he is still concerned about violence "or a simple demonstration". Not least because if there are "demonstrations [outside] or threats when you are trying to get in, it's not going to be a peaceful context to be connected to each other and to pray".

Traditionally, Muslim religious authorities have opposed gay sex. They argue that the Koranic authority for this is the story of God's destruction of the city of Sodom because of its citizens' sins.

"Homosexuality is a choice, it's a desire, it's not something that you are born with," says the London imam Ajmal Masroor. Homosexuality is not acceptable for either Sunni or Shia Muslims, he says, because God intends for sex to occur between men and women only, within marriage, and "any sexual relationship outside marriage is a sin".

However, that does not mean that Muslims should discriminate against homosexuals, says Mr Masroor. Mosques are open to everyone.

Rather than trying to separate themselves homosexuals should be attending mosque like other Muslims, argues Mr Masroor. But they should not be trying to change the religion. "If you join Islam, you must conform to Islamic teachings."

Mr Zahed says that "Islam has nothing to do with homosexuality".

"Islam is not a totalitarian fascist identity. You should not use Islam to justify your prejudices and try to control the sexuality and gender of individuals," he says.

Do you indeed approach men with desire instead of women? Rather, you are a people behaving ignorantly. [Surah An-Naml :55]

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleykum

Gay or not, everyone has the right to pray in a normal masjid no ? So i dont see why they think to make separate grups..and this gay imam...disturbing, i see it as a propaganda from Shaytan in the hope that many others will join. A propaganda of a place that is ''friendly'', open to everyone regardless if they respect islam or not...very attractive.

'Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe.'((2): 212]

.....and Shaytan has made their deeds fair-seeming to them, and has barred them from (Allah's) Way, so they have no guidance,'

[(27): 24]

This trick of Shaytan is very dangerous, because if falsehood is made to appear attractive to a person, how would he strive towards achieving the good and repelling the evil?

John Smith

As Salam walyakum.

I have a question which needs to be answered with sincere advice for a brother I know who has had a difficult time from childhood to adulthood.

The brother in question is a Muslim & was abused as a child from the age of 7-10 by his step uncle, the brother grew up affected by this trauma as he was told by his uncle this was an 'ok' thing to do but to add to all this when he was younger his older sisters used to dress him up as a girl with full make up.

He has grown up in an Western environment, he knows he is not Gay but enjoyed being in the company of a man as it took him back to his childhood.

Now married and practising, he fully understands the wrongs but something inside of him just clicked, recently he went on Umrah with his parents,wife & daughter & on returning he had an insatiable desire to dress as a women in erotic underwear with full make up,wig & heels.

We spoke 2days ago about this and he tells me he went with a older man to a private place between them 2 where he dressed as a women in an erotic fashion,with heels,wig & make up and spent some hours with the man.

From his words he said he enjoyed dressing up and being in the company of people who accept this sort of practice.

He also states that once his desire is over he quickly left the mans company, does a full Ghusl, make salah & read parts of the Quran & goes to sleep.

He claims like something inside of him is forcing him into actions he knows are wrong.

I have actually told him to get Ruqiyah done on himself by an imam in our masjid as it maybe a female Jinn that is making him do this.

Can done one please advise me on what action or words I need to say to this brother.

MeadowDust

As Salam walyakum.

I have a question which needs to be answered with sincere advice for a brother I know who has had a difficult time from childhood to adulthood.

The brother in question is a Muslim & was abused as a child from the age of 7-10 by his step uncle, the brother grew up affected by this trauma as he was told by his uncle this was an 'ok' thing to do but to add to all this when he was younger his older sisters used to dress him up as a girl with full make up.

He has grown up in an Western environment, he knows he is not Gay but enjoyed being in the company of a man as it took him back to his childhood.

Now married and practising, he fully understands the wrongs but something inside of him just clicked, recently he went on Umrah with his parents,wife & daughter & on returning he had an insatiable desire to dress as a women in erotic underwear with full make up,wig & heels.

We spoke 2days ago about this and he tells me he went with a older man to a private place between them 2 where he dressed as a women in an erotic fashion,with heels,wig & make up and spent some hours with the man.

From his words he said he enjoyed dressing up and being in the company of people who accept this sort of practice.

He also states that once his desire is over he quickly left the mans company, does a full Ghusl, make salah & read parts of the Quran & goes to sleep.

He claims like something inside of him is forcing him into actions he knows are wrong.

I have actually told him to get Ruqiyah done on himself by an imam in our masjid as it maybe a female Jinn that is making him do this.

Can done one please advise me on what action or words I need to say to this brother.

Waalaykumsalam, so what has happened to that brother? How is he now? Have you asked a scholar? Doing such actions is obviously wrong, and Allah knows best.

MeadowDust

The gay 'imams' are obviously using a strong platform to get supporters and to make it seem like what they are doing is ok. By being kind and 'understanding'. If our imams can try to be undertstanding, and to help these individuals realize what they are doing is a grave mistake and not to support them in doing it, but instead to support them in overcoming this problem.

Precious Star

Being "gay" is very different (Islamically) from having sexual relations with the same-sex.

You can't help being gay, but you can control your sexual behaviour.

Precious Pearl

this guy (gay) is going to bring serious trouble to Islam , may Allah (swa) cure him and all like him to lead a normal life. Some one has to stop the Gay Mosque what ever , from building up, once again handy work of shaitan . Allahumma muafizna, ameen.

MehmetHilmi

this guy (gay) is going to bring serious trouble to Islam , may Allah (swa) cure him and all like him to lead a normal life. Some one has to stop the Gay Mosque what ever , from building up, once again handy work of shaitan . Allahumma muafizna, ameen.

Nah, he'll be forgotten soon. Please do enlighten us. I really do want to know why you think he will bring trouble? Is he an Imam who goes on TV and goes into a tantrum while spewing hate upon everyone else? What has he done so far that has deteriorated society as a whole? Im just curious.