Mirajmom's saga

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am not sure if this make you laugh or mad. Here it goes:

A student asked me what would I do if my sons told me they wanted to practice homosexuality. Not thinking I automatically replied in a humours but meaningful manner that I would shoot them and put them out of their misery.

I want my sons to please Allah subhana talla.

Well one of the students who heard this went home and told her gay sister. The gay sister came and verbally assulted me at school. She shook my hand and yelled: " Now tell your Allah that you have touched a gay woman"..I am going to get your job...and why don't you back to Iraq.

I was suspened without pay for three days. The school system is concerned about the publicity of homophobia. They were not interested in the fact that I was verbally accousted.

I can not be angry. I think to myself..I will have to face Allah on the Day of Judgement. I do not wish to displease my Creator. I told the administration I do not care how others feel, as for myself I wish to raise my sons in a manner that befits a Muslim.

It is yet another example of how Muslims are treated in the land of the disbelievers. The administration tolerates a plethora of infractions from staff members. They have a different standard for me.

I am still in shock but I am adamant to open my own school, Insha'Allah. A school wherein the standards will be fair. A school where racism will vanish. A school that will teach values so simple as to know the difference between right and wrong.

May Allah reward you for reading my post. This initself gives me hope.

salahdin

Wa aleikum musalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu , dont worry about your sons as long as you show them the best example ( TEACHING OF AL-ISLAM)and impliment them then you dont have to worry .You are like a mirror its the reflection they see. . Its the parent that is the raw model and surely when they grow up the will say i want to raise my kids just like my mum did.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Sister, unfortunately, The United States has become so tolerant of deviance that it is anathema (I have known that word for decades, but I recently heard it and find I enjoy using it.) to state one's personal opposition to anything that isn't politically correct.

I will share a few personal experiences. When I was a young teenager my best friend was about 5 or 6 years older than I was. He was like a big brother. This neighbor was the most outstanding player in several sports. His girlfriend was beautiful. He was basically a local sports legend and did go on to play professional football. When I was thirteen or fourteen he got his orders for Vietnam. We met some friends of his who later became close friends of mine who had already returned from Vietnam, and...well...we got drunk, got in fights with guys his age... and when he ran a police car off the road, we got taken to jail. No charges were filled but our parents came and got us. My dad made the accusation the next morning that he thought my "big brother" was molesting me. He was hollering so loud that my friend's dad came over to try and calm things down. I told him what my dad had said and for a moment it looked like they might have come to punches. This was the worst stigmata with which a teenager could be labeled. I have always been completely heterosexual. But, the very idea that my dad would label me with the term caused me to start taking martial arts (and the older bullies who mugged me every day for my lunch money. lol).

Now, is it wrong to say that I don't care what anyone does as long as they don't push their agenda on me or try to silence my opinions? Well, my parents taught me if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
Al Qur'aan and The Bible both condemn homosexuality. One can not claim to be Jew, Christian, or Muslim and accept this deviant behavior as acceptable alternative lifestyle. If one accepts Al Qur'aan as Kalaam of arr-Rahmaan then we have no choice but to condemn homosexuality. For a municipality or school board to stifle you from voicing your opinion is an attack on Islam.

I commend your conviction; unfortunately, many individuals don't have a sense of humor and consequently become defensive when any humorous remark is made against their beliefs. And, yet she was not reprimanded for her slur against your religious beliefs and you right to be called an American. This is typical of the liberal attitude that has grown since our days as flower children. In pop culture, The Dixie Chicks made an anti-war statement and were labeled Unpatriot

Recently, a district attorney who is suing four women for repetitively filling for documents against the school board for information under the Freedome Of Information Act. He was quoted in the paper as saying, "We don't want to take anyone's rights away. We just want to stop them from using them excessively." Thankfully, President Obama has stated that his new Health Care Plan would not finance elective abortions that individuals personal insurance would cover.

Was Sallam

ShyHijabi

So let me get this straight, you were suspended without pay for three days because you answered a question concerning how you are raising your OWN children???? That has to be a violation of civil rights, no?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yep!!!

So much for the Bill of Rights.

Not to worry..I get five days off...go to work for two day...may call in sick for rest of week...have spring break..gives me a total of two weeks off..time to catch up on much needed beauty sleep..and Insha'Allah catch husband number three!!!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister mirajmom,

I was sad to hear about what happened to you. I hope you're alright and that this incident blows over.

Frank Smith wrote the following in post #3:

One can not claim to be Jew, Christian, or Muslim and accept this deviant behavior as acceptable alternative lifestyle.

That's very true. However, there are certain churches in the U.S. and Europe who started to tolerate one being a Christian and gay to the point that they're appointing gay bishops! This is now the official stance of the Church of England (the official church which Queen Elizabeth II heads), and it's offshoot in America (the Episcopalian Church). Now, there are still many clergymen and laymen in England and the U.S. who disagree completely with this stance, but the non Anglican viewer now sees that homosexuality is now tolerated and even welcomed to a large degree by an important Christian denomination, so they begin to ask, "Well, why don't you do the same, Muslims?"

This faction of Anglicans has effectively sold out their religion to be culturally accepted and politically correct, so many in society want other Christians and all others (including Muslims) to sell out their religion.

It's gotten to the point where some States in the US allow "gay marriages". This phrase is apparently not an oxymoron anymore.

I ask Allah the Almighty to strengthen our faith in Islam.

Aameen.

Regards,

Bluegazer

kayleigh

Everyone is so politically correct now days, you can't even joke about it. I think the answer was slightly inappropriate but nothing to warrant suspension or being verbally assaulted. Most normal people wouldn't have even taken you seriously.

arzafar

well im proud of you for taking a stand.

your answer was a surely a joke because i dont think any mom would shoot her son. Besides punishments can only be carried out by the shariah court and taking the law in your hands is itself a crime.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Sister Shy Hijabi,

You summed it up beautifully. Sister Mirajamom is being punished for answering a hypothetical question concerning her own beliefs.

Personally, I am "convicted" (a christian term that means chastised by The Words of The Prophets and I extend it to Kalaam of Arr-Rahmaan) about saying things jokingly. I have to strive not to be flippant when replying to a question as I used humor to deal with social pressure most of my life. But, as Shawana A Aziz writes in the article we are wrong when we do it:

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

Sister Mirajamom, this was not meant as a "rebuke" of you. I am constantly "biting my tongue" to keep from saying thing jokingly that aren't true. Being able to fight and humor was my first avenue for acceptance by my peers. My uncle use to tell his customers that he was the same national heritage as they were but our name was changed. I asked him what nationality we were as I had always been told that we were Irish on the Smith side. He said, "we are whatever nationality the customer is." My adopted dad was a very serious person who very seldom ever joked. My one uncle very seldom was serious. So, now I try to pause for a couple of seconds before answering to make sure what I say is truth and not offensive. The key word in that last sentence is "try. At a "meet the Muslim Dinner" when asked how I came to Islam, I replied "it was the closest religion that taught what Moses and Jesus taught" . I wasn't aware it was an interfaith dinner. If I had just paused and thought.

Hopefully, you will be able to return without much ado to your noble profession and continue to impress the minds of the youth. It is such a fantastic opportunity for you to help the children learn about our beliefs through your actions. I commend you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The question for me becomes this: Do I continue to teach and have my sons educated in a system that has openly told me they tolerate that which is anthema ( did you like that Frank?) to my belief system.

This is what I will contemplate and pray about for the ensuing week. The choice is mine. On a deeper level I must be the one who needs to remember what I serve.

The answer is obvious. It is scary to have to find new employment in the middle of a recession at my age. But, I must release my fears to the wind and hold fast to the rope of Allah.

As a famous writer wrote: to thineself be true. I can only be true to myself by being serving my Master.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Sister Mirajmom, I wish that you and your sons are in the best of health in spite of the calamities you're going through. InshaAllaah.

One question though, do your sons go to public or Islamic schools? I'm aware that there are some good Islamic schools in the States.

Hope everything will get well soon and may Allaah guide you to the best solution. InshaAllaah.

Take care.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We do not have any Islamic schools. We have one Christian school. There are four high schools and three universities in the local area.

I am thinking of opening a school. I am serious. We have a tremendous dropout rate. We have the largest dropout rate in the state at the high school where I teach.

The area is historically known for the cycle of poverty..generations upon generations live in poverty.

My solution would be to provide an education; the terminal dipolma would include a vocational skill. The student who would graduate from my school would come out ready for the work force with a certificate in a skill i.e plumbers assistant, electrician's helper, mechanic, bricklayer, nurses assistant.

I often question what we learn in our schools here. I wonder. I think that those who taught us the most were men who were unlearned. Our Prophet.

I also think of the idle rich and how they spent time learning the sweet nothings of life. I can not help but think of Lord Byron.

Forgive my ramblings. Knowledge and wisdom are not what I am addressing. I pray I am making sense.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Sister Mirajmom,

You have my full support to open up a school. I would want to be the teacher at your school if you would hire me :)

In one of my recent class (some sort of political science class), the lecturer asked why poverty is one of the main issue being brought up in our country. Well, the answer was so that people from all walks of life will get a complete, perfect education where this benefit doesn't gain much by the poor. (Hope I structured my sentence correctly)

Have you any ideas or plans yet to open up a school? Hope I'll be able to join in even from afar.

Wassalam.

arzafar

Assalaam walaikum,

We do not have any Islamic schools. We have one Christian school. There are four high schools and three universities in the local area.

I am thinking of opening a school. I am serious. We have a tremendous dropout rate. We have the largest dropout rate in the state at the high school where I teach.

The area is historically known for the cycle of poverty..generations upon generations live in poverty.

My solution would be to provide an education; the terminal dipolma would include a vocational skill. The student who would graduate from my school would come out ready for the work force with a certificate in a skill i.e plumbers assistant, electrician's helper, mechanic, bricklayer, nurses assistant.

I often question what we learn in our schools here. I wonder. I think that those who taught us the most were men who were unlearned. Our Prophet.

I also think of the idle rich and how they spent time learning the sweet nothings of life. I can not help but think of Lord Byron.

Forgive my ramblings. Knowledge and wisdom are not what I am addressing. I pray I am making sense.

i think that's a brilliant idea.

a_stranger

:salam2:sister

What happened to you sister shows clearly how Islam is needed badly to put things in order in our world ......Making an islamic school is agreat idea and InshaAllah you will be rewarded very much .........May Allah save us and our children from this mess.:astag:

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Speaking of private schools, the private school that I sent my youngest son to was run by a Pentecostal Church. One day my son came home early. I asked him why he was home and he told me that whenever any student "received the Holy Spirit" and speaks in tongues, they are all given the day off.

Knowing my son as well as I do, I saw the glint in his eye as he was conceptualizing an idea. I told him, "Don't you dare start saying, "untie a my bow tie, shick a me she shick a my side, I saw the snake now pass it on by."

He got a big grin on his face like "yep, my dad knows me."

I think you starting your own charter school is a great idea. Insha Allah, it would help those kids who don't function well in the factory educational system and allow you to both continue to educate and at the same time serve Allah. Perhaps before you throw caution to the wind and take the leap of faith you could do some testing of the waters by running an ad for private tutoring, a survey about the interest in a better alternative to public education, and even write a book about Islam in America from a woman's teacher's view (Well, since you would be writing it, I suppose that last phrase was redundant (another polysyllabic word I just started using).

Whatever you decided after careful deliberation, contemplation, and du'aa, I hope, Insha Allah, that it will be successful beyound your imagination. Perhaps the kids would even get to know Dumas, Stone, and other writers rather than which cliche is the cool one.

Was Sallam.

islam_best

Assalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaathu,

I bet they took your answer seriously, bcuz obviously your a Muslim, you know barbarous, forceful lunatics according to them.........La Hawla Wala Kuwata Illa Billah!!May Allah Subhanwata'la give us all the courage to fight against evil and Injustice.Dont worry sis, on the Day of Judgement Inshallah, they will get to know what they were reallly doing.May He grant us all Jannatulfirdous in the hereafter.Ameen Ya Mujeeb.Ameen Ya Allah.Ameen

Wassalaamalaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaathu.

kayleigh

Maybe you could just send your sons to a Catholic private school? I've known Muslims, Jews, atheists, etc. who go there. These days, most Catholic schools don't seem to really emphasize Catholicism, and they're usually less nutty than the Protestant private schools. They're more religiously diverse than they used to be, but probably a bit more conservative when it comes to homosexuality.

Honestly, though, I don't see why it makes a difference if the school supports homosexuality or not. I didn't graduate that long ago, and when I was in school we never had a lesson or class where they sat us down and said there was nothing wrong with homosexuality. To be honest, even if we were told that I don't think it would make one bit of difference. Most kids form their opinions about things like that from their parents. Most students these days are unlikely to pay all that much attention to a teacher.

It would be nice to open up an Islamic school. Regardless of any differences in beliefs, the quality of public schooling is pretty terrible.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

The schools don't have to endorse homosexuality. The media and entertainment industry is constantly pushing there agendas. Also, although they may not publicly endorse it, I guarantee you that they don't publicly say it is wrong. Moral and Ethical stands are taboo in America. Most big city schools are so out of control that the teacher is doing a great job if he or she can maintain order. We have several extremely polite and helpful teenagers in our neighborhood. I teach them Kali. Everyone told me that to survive in today's school sister you have to know how to fight. These kids won't let me carry anything into my apartment. They rush over to grab the grocery bags. If I have something heavy that I can't carry because of my crushed spine all I have to do is ask and two or three of them are there carrying it out. I think I am relatively in touch with the youth and they tell me that school is so stressful because of violence, drugs, and gangs.

My youngest son who is old enough to be many of your father hates homosexuality. He said there were homosexuals twenty years ago teaching in his school. He said it was like many of the students claimed to be homosexual and that it seemed to him that they just wanted to be labeled as different. I guess every school district is different, but many of the areas I lived in used textbooks in the sex education and hygiene classes (earlier name for sex education) that clearly stated that homosexuality was not a choice but inherited and therefore natural.

I think Sister Mirajmom should have a business card printed up that says, I would like to answer you question about my personal opinion on the matter; however, the school board frowns on my exercise my constitution rights.

When I went to school in the 1950's and 1960's teachers would tell us things like, "Republicans are for the rich people; so when you get older you want to register Democrat." We never behaved badly to get attention because parents and teachers hadn't learn to spare the rod.