Modern Life.

Tomtom

Banned
As'alaamu Alaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

It is very difficult to practice your religion in the twenty first century with all the distractions of this dunya. People are hooked on music, movies, television, internet and idol worship of pop stars and movie stars. Those who are hooked on these things are always hurrying home to learn what happened in the soap opera that you are following or rush home to see a favourite movie or to go on the internet to talk sweet nothings to nameless faces and faceless names.

Technology wise we have the iphone, ipad, itunes, thinkpad, laptop, blackberry, 3g phones, pc, mp3, mp4, playstation, xbox, wii and who knows what else. Communication is instant, we can talk to anybody that we want to anywhere in the world as long as they too have the means to communicate with us. For heavens sake we can even talk to people out of this world such as the astronauts who are in the space station.

So with all these distractions can we focus on Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and give ourselves 100% attention to Him? Is it possible to remember Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala in the modern world?

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Bismillah-ir Rahman-ir Rahim, Assalam Alaikum brother. I think of it this way. Since times are harder on our religion these day's for example distractions, terrorist talks,wars ect ect... And your just minimum effort Muslims (praying only 5 times a day) and not doing anything extra like dhikr,durood's, and all that you'll get higher in Jannah then a minimum effort Muslim back in the day's of the Prophet Muhammad sallAllahu Alayhi wa Sallam insha'Allah. Or even back 100 years ago before TV and all this drama came along.

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
:wasalam: warahmatullahi wabarakathu,

So with all these distractions can we focus on Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and give ourselves 100% attention to Him? Is it possible to remember Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala in the modern world?

I would say its hard but not impossible.

Without Islam, its reminders and the guidance of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala the love of this dunya would over power the love of the akhira.

These few benefical reminders help us to focus on the love of the akhira:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"This life in comparison to the life hereafter is nothing except like that which one of you finds if he sticks his finger into the ocean and then sees what it brings back with it." [Muslim]

"Verily this dunya is cursed and all that is in it is cursed except for the remembrnce of Allah and all that goes with it and a scholar or a student." [Tirmidhi]

Allah says in interpretation meaning:

"O people! The promise of Allah is surely true so do not let the life of this world deceive you nor be deceived by the Deceiver." [Quran Faatir:5]

:wasalam:

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}

It is very difficult to practice your religion in the twenty first century with all the distractions of this dunya. People are hooked on music, movies, television, internet and idol worship of pop stars and movie stars. Those who are hooked on these things are always hurrying home to learn what happened in the soap opera that you are following or rush home to see a favourite movie or to go on the internet to talk sweet nothings to nameless faces and faceless names.

Technology wise we have the iphone, ipad, itunes, thinkpad, laptop, blackberry, 3g phones, pc, mp3, mp4, playstation, xbox, wii and who knows what else. Communication is instant, we can talk to anybody that we want to anywhere in the world as long as they too have the means to communicate with us. For heavens sake we can even talk to people out of this world such as the astronauts who are in the space station.

asalaam aleykum

to every second is modern(Asr)
To me i find it is the Best time ever on human era, you ask me How i shall be happy to express few among many "sanuriikum ayaatina min Aafaak"
which are among the ones YOU have stipulated.

Tomtom

Banned
asalaam aleykum

to every second is modern(Asr)
To me i find it is the Best time ever on human era, you ask me How i shall be happy to express few among many "sanuriikum ayaatina min Aafaak"
which are among the ones YOU have stipulated.

Say what? no understanding.

kalamazoo

Say what? no understanding.

First let us go about Salat......

Masajiid every corner of the Islamic world;even non islamic Freedom of Religion and practice(but dont indulge on matter against islamic teachings)

Second

you mention what has been prohibited by Islamic sharia not violated

Tv shows as you mentioned...Idont bother (any many) to be addicted; just if necessarily like news, seeing these i realize this is the time mentioned by Prophet of Allah, that it will come time that t practicing Islam is like holding and ember of fire.

Mobiles

This is Rahmat Llah-how our forefatehr communicates with others and now WE with a thumb send your sms etc.

Driving

i say my Prayers while driving; as metioned in Kuran kareem( remeber Allah, Standing, walking and even lying down) Messenger of Allah did says his prayers while he was on the back of his horse/donkey.

Once at Kuranic class school our teacher said:-

yowm kiyama...people of heaven (if they desire) can have a conversation with the people of Hell.

I asked:-

Wont they be burned ?

he said you will one day understand better.

and NOW you call with your mobile anywhere in the world say russsia the coldest Do You feel that COLD?
or say those people over there calling us(you know how hot is Sharjah of course) do they feel that HEAT.

so these are among the (sanuriiykum ayaatina min Afaak wa anfusukum)
Alhmd Li Laah.

I like the thread of yours, if you want me to go in detail you just bring one by one i will try my best to Learn and be Learned (Inshaa ALLAH)

SO BROTHER YUNUS

Din Islam is easy to be practiced BUT needs Knowledge of it.

IF a Kafir doesn't have the knowledge of it;and IF a muslim too then what will be the difference.?

i will advise yo to read this Surat-am sure you will gain better insight of (by the modern)

Surah 103. Al-'Asr

http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html

thank you.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

Wa'alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Indeed, it is VERY difficult. But we, humans have what we call as choices. Which path we want to choose. The long, difficult, straight path or the easy, deviated path.

Hasan al Basree rahimahullaah once said: "A believer is a stranger in this world, he is never afraid of its humiliation, and he never competes for its glory. The people are in one situation and he is in a different situation. The people are content with him, yet he is in turmoil [Literally, "tired"] with himself.

And so is technology wise, we can use it as a tool for da'wah, clearing misconceptions about Islaam, conveying to people to return to their fitraah ya'ni nature [Islaam] within a fingertip in seconds, worldwide. I was wondering if it is the *true Muslims* controlling the media; Yahoo, Google, Youtube, televisions channels, radios; then we have the full power to spread Islaam 24/7 using *all* the tools with constant remembrance to Allaah, lectures about death, reminders of the Day, and not to forget current issues too.

Yes certainly is possible but it is a lifetime struggle to fight against our nafs which will always be inclined towards the pleasure of this world.

O you who have believed, remember Allah with much remembrance. [33:41]

I love this ayaat :

Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the believing men and believing women, the obedient men and obedient women, the truthful men and truthful women, the patient men and patient women, the humble men and humble women, the charitable men and charitable women, the fasting men and fasting women, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do so, and the men who remember Allah often and the women who do so - for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward. 33:35

Mashaa Allaah.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Wa alaikumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,indeed akhi,Things have filled our lives,a lot of things.So much so that time has contracted,we keep ourselves occupied with this world and end up dying whilst being attached to it.
There is a very good thread on here in TTI,about how to spend our time by quoting Sheikh Ibn Al Qayyim Al Jazziyah(rahimhullah),a must read I say.
There is a verse in Qur'an that has interpretation of meaning:
Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion.[57:20]

It tells about the reality of this life and hereafter,all of this thing herein are to test us with and now the test is difficult,in my opinion,with all these diversions and distractions,it's upto us how we dodge them and not get attached to this world and it's contents.We make use of the things herein for a better hereafter.
So that when we leave this world ,at the time of our last breath,we dont feel feel fear or have any grief.A sheikh once told me what does it mean ,no fear nor grief at the time of death as quoted in surah fussilat in my signature.
He told me the fear is,the fear of uncertainity of punishment or bad abode and the grief is the grief of departing from things and people we loved in this life.A believer wont have either of them and will be reassured by angels at the time of death.
As the sister said,we are like strangers to this world,we don't think of it as our only home,but our home lies in the hereafter for which we are working ,making use of things given to us in this life,but not getting attached to them.
In other words keep our eyes on our destination and purpose in life and we will get through easily inshaAllah,biidhnillah.
Jazakallah khayr akhi,for asking the question for it helped me as wwell and served as a reminder for me.

Tomtom

Banned
BTW people just to let you all know that I don't watch tv, go to the movies, listen to music etc as I've given them up. All of the above are haram in my honest opinion. The mobile phone I have I don't use it much only for essential stuff. I wish I could just throw it away. :) I know that many, many people cannot live without these contraptions.

kalamazoo

asalaam aleykum

brother..Yunus,

watch, use the gaggets, make a lot of mistakes but go back deeper from yr heart to \Him..an say:rabi ini dhalamtu nafsi faghfirli(and watch not to repeat that mistake AND if you do never despair go back to HIM{.we all know He is ghafuur Rahiyym...I have the feeling of the new converts how they read and understood \kuran but how \muslims behave ...but i would like to say as a reminder as this is \our test for the beleif....we have to work hard...there is \no jihad as our late brothers, it is \now how we find the leaders and reciters and the so called muftis what they preach is not being practices....and that it is in \kuran.....

atakuulun ma laa taf aluun-
afalaa tadhakaruu

if we by chanche get one of those big chiefs on tv register here and let us ask him why you dont tell those who pays you that islam says:=

faman lam yahkum bimaa anzalaa Llah...fahumu Lkafiruun/Fahumu etc

...i wish if i could come to line but ana aaasif...language etc while i ask for forgiveness should i insult any.(thank you)
i say this to make those new converts that I/we undrsrtand these people but as i state before THIS IS OUR TEST....so let us workd hard by words and deeds
wa Lllah Kheirun Raazikiin.

kepadamukekasih

:salam2:

I in my humble opinion, modern life is not the reason for our difficulties to practice islam...it is US and our choice. You have tv but it is you who choose between islamic channel vs. pure entertainment. You have twitter account but it you who choose to follow Dr. Zakir Naik or Lindsay Lohan. You have ipod, you are the one that will choose which song to be downloaded either Yusuf Islam or Lady Gaga. You have iphone but it you who choose whom to call, your mother or your friends.

I myself can't leave without technology i.e. modern life. The reason why I purchase ipad and iphone is to download quran and hadith, to determine qiblah for prayer and the prayer notification.

No doubt that it is a distraction but we can be distrcted in a good way...the islamic way.

strive-may-i

Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rahmathullaahi wabarakaathu hu.

Often while thinking along these lines, often I end up in a thought trail that says, the more things change the more they remain the same...

We have more free time, and we also have more things to keep us pre-occupied. Its about choice ultimately. How we use this time and benefit ourselves... But one rule is true, the company we choose to keep. The thought of Almighty, our duties, the pious, the parents, Quran and then the rest... help us in not straying from path

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is not the gadgetry that is the issue. The issues are what are we going to do with what we have. We have forgotten agriculture. We need to develop independent Eco-communities. We have some but we need to focus on independent functioning communities. We need to return to community based societies.