Money as Debt

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be unto you],

In some recent threads I have started, some comments of brothers on this forum referred to topics I'm not that familiar with. Brother ayman1, for example, referred to 'fiat currency' in this post. I'd like to thank him for sparking my interest in this topic.

And then, I learned about a video entitled Money as Debt. It was produced by a Mr. Paul Grignon, a citizen of Canada.

Please watch the video (which is 47 minutes long) and then please read my comments below:

[vg]-9050474362583451279[/vg]

My comments are as follows:

1- Mr. Paul Grignon is not an economist. Here are some words about himself:

Born in Toronto, Canada in 1948, I first became suspicious of our money system when I was in high school in Ottawa. We were studying logarithmic functions such as interest and it struck me that a money system in which money accrues interest at every turn could only function with exponential growth of the money supply. Something did not make sense to me. I wasn’t sure what it was but I had a strong feeling that banking was a scam designed to benefit bankers at the expense of everyone else. I vowed never to get into debt to bankers.

As fortune would have it I got to (mostly) fulfill that vow. As a hitchhiking, backpacking young adult I was led to Gabriola, a forested coastal island off British Columbia, Canada where the building code was not yet in effect. My partner and I were able to take up residence in a tent, then a shack and as the years went by, and our four children arrived, our primitive shelter without water or power gradually evolved into a modest but comfortable owner-built paid-for home. This was achieved on a sporadic income that would never have been sufficient to buy a home had we gone the conventional mortgage route.

For several years, I made my living in the logging industry as a seasonal tree planter until injury forced me off the slopes. Taking whatever jobs I could get at first, I eventually established myself in my longtime ambition to be a landscape painter and visual artist.

Source: http://paulgrignon.netfirms.com/MoneyasDebt/ProducersComments.html

2- I'm worried about the lack of specific reference details to the statements of American Presidents, economists and other people mentioned in the video.

The best form of reference would be to a book. So, if he was referring to a person's opinion, then this opinion should be cited from a book written by that person. Details of the title of the book, the publisher, the year it was published and the ISBN [International Standard Book Number] of the book.

If the opinion was expressed in an official capacity, then one could cite from official websites, such as the U.S. Congress website, the White House website. There are official publications that document a President's words and also the words of Congressmen of the House of Representatives or the Senate. Sometimes, news channels could also be cited as quoting these officials [such as CNN and the BBC], although I prefer more original sources.

So, I was glad that Mr. Paul Grignon has put the following website that cites references for the sayings presented in his videos. The website is:

http://paulgrignon.netfirms.com/MoneyasDebt/references.htm

I checked it out, and I found out some shortcomings.

To begin with, I was dismayed that he even mentioned en.wikipedia.org as part of his sources. I must admit that in the past I have used that website without caution and without qualifying my statements, but I have learned that it could be easily edited and so the information mentioned in it are only trustworthy if a good source is mentioned and cited. Therefore, he should mentioned the source directly without even mentioning en.wikipedia.org.

The following statement just really dismayed me (which I set in bold type, like so):

Presidential Quotes on Banking

“I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world, no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.”

Woodrow Wilson

Producer's Comment

This quote attributed to Woodrow Wilson is widely used in the monetary reform community and is found in several reputable works, including Wikipedia. I used the quote in Money as Debt without finding an original source.

If he didn't find an original source, the he shouldn't have quoted the above saying.

Secondly, he should make sure the website really contains what he claims. For example, he mentioned:

“One thing to realize about our fractional reserve banking system is that, like a child’s game of musical chairs, as long as the music is playing, there are no losers.”

Andrew Gause, Monetary Historian

http://www.andygause.com

I have searched the website www.andygause.com and I have not found the statement above. Additionally, he should mention independent sources that show that Andrew Gause is a 'Monetary Historian' and the academic degrees that prove this.

Thirdly, some of the links have gone 'dead'. For example:

"Everyone sub-consciously knows banks do not lend money. When you draw on your savings account, the bank doesn't tell you you can't do this because it has lent the money to somebody else."

Mark Mansfield

http://dkd.net/davekidd/politics/manmoney.html

In addition to not saying anything about who Mark Mansfield is (or was), the website he referred to doesn't work anymore.

Fourthly, the sources he mentions cannot be really trusted:

For example:

"If all the bank loans were paid, no one could have a bank deposit, and there would not be a dollar of coin or currency in circulation. This is a staggering thought. We are completely dependent on the commercial banks. Someone has to borrow every dollar we have in circulation, cash, or credit. If the banks create ample synthetic money we are prosperous; if not, we starve. We are absolutely without a permanent money system. When one gets a complete grasp of the picture, the tragic absurdity of our hopeless situation is almost incredible -- but there it is."

Robert Hemphill. Credit Manager, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta

http://www.federal-reserve.net/healthemoneysystem.htm

http://www.worldnewsstand.net/today/articles/fedprivatelyowned.htm

http://www.the7thfire.com/SR/mandrake_mechanism.htm

The www.federal-reserve.net website is not the official website of the U.S. Federal Reserve. It's a private website that attacks the Federal Reserve. The second and third websites don't even work.

So, how do we really know that Mr. Robert Hemphill (Credit Manager, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta) actually said what is mentioned above?

To be fair to Mr. Paul Grignon, not all of his quotes are 'bad. For example:

'Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the Field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.'

-- Woodrow Wilson, The New Freedom (1913)

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14811

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson

The www.gutenberg.org website is also know as Project Gutenberg. It aims to make books that have no more copyright protection free to people to download. It's a good start, but a better option is to mention the details of the publisher of the book The New Freedom and the page on which the statement is found.

I tried that on the google books website, and I found that it was on page 18 of the book. The details of the book are below:

The New Freedom
By Woodrow Wilson
Published by BiblioBazaar, LLC, 2008
ISBN 0554364042, 9780554364049
168 pages

Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=MSZGnhh4AbUC

On the following website, type "condemnation of it" [and be sure to use the quotation signs " "] in the search box, and you'll get the result.

But to be sure the President Woodrow Wilson meant bankers when he spoke of 'a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it', then we have to read a good section of the book to make sure that's what he meant.

Another example of a good quotation that could be made but wasn't properly presented was the following:

“Thus, our national circulating medium is now at the mercy of loan transactions of banks, which lend, not money, but promises to supply money they do not possess.”

Irving Fisher, economist and author

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Fisher.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0254/is_1_64/ai_n13798782

http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/fisher.htm

Two problems with the above information is that I don't have a reliable source telling me who Irving Fisher was, and that all of the above websites do not contain the words ascribed to Fisher.

So, he should have mentioned who Irving Fisher was. Here's a short biography of Professor Irving Fisher, from Yale University Library website:

Irving Fisher, 1867-1947

Irving Fisher Papers, 1861-1976. MS 212.

Irving Fisher was born in Saugerties, New York on February 27, 1867. He graduated from Yale University (B.A., 1888; Ph.D., 1891), and held the positions of instructor in mathematics (1890-91), tutor in mathematics (1891-93), assistant professor of mathematics (1893-95), assistant professor of political and social science (1895-98), professor of political economy (1898-1935), and professor emeritus (1935-47). Fisher wrote numerous articles and books in the fields of mathematics, political economics, tuberculosis, diet, and public health. He was a member of several professional organizations and societies, served as a presidential advisor, and was an active member of various social causes. Fisher died in New Haven, Connecticut on April 19, 1947.

The papers consist of correspondence, diaries, writings, teaching files, and memorabilia documenting the professional career and personal life of Irving Fisher, a mathematician, political economist, author, inventor, and activist in social causes. The materials reflect Fisher's interests in economics, the League of Nations, monetary theory and policy, national politics, health reform, prohibition, nutrition, and other topics. Major correspondents include politicians, economists, members of the Yale community, family members, and personal friends. The papers include photocopies of documents in other repositories. The papers form part of the Contemporary Medical Care and Health Policy Collection. 20 linear ft.

Indexes: Unpublished finding aid located in Manuscripts and Archives, Sterling Memorial Library.

Source: http://www.library.yale.edu/un/papers/fisher.htm

And then, he should have mentioned that the phrase 'Thus, our national circulating medium is now at the mercy of loan transactions of banks, which lend, not money, but promises to supply money they do not possess' is found in a book written by Professor Irving Fisher. Here are details of the book:

100% money: designed to keep checking banks 100% liquid; to prevent inflation and deflation; largely to cure or prevent depressions; and to wipe out much of the national debt
By Irving Fisher
Edition: 3
Published by The City Printing Company, 1945
Original from the University of Michigan
Digitized Mar 30, 2007
257 pages

Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=UIEvAAAAMAAJ&dq=&pgis=1

In the above website of Google Books, type the following in the "Search in this book" field, and please use the quotation signs [" "]:

"Thus, our national circulating medium"

And then try a new search with:

"at the mercy of loan transactions of banks"

Both times, the result you'll see is only a only a partial result, but now you know that this phrase is on page 7 of the book mentioned above. Now, you can either go to a public library and read this book, or you can buy it online.

3- Finally, the video uses 'democracy' and the U.S. 'Constitution' to argue against bankers. As a Muslim, I have a certain attitude to democracy and any system that equates or favours the words of people with or over the words of Allah or His Messenger [peace be upon him]. Please read the thread "A true jewel in the world of books!" by clicking on the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74045#post74045

4- Some of you might believe that with the above comments, I'm actually defending Commercial Banks and loaning with interest (the modern term for 'usury'). And I mention here firmly that it is certainly not my intention to do so. I know that usury [also known as Riba in Arabic] is forbidden by Allah the Almighty, and that Commercial Banks are the modern day versions of this usury.

The following is an religious opinion published on the website supervised by Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid. It's Fatwa no. 23346, which is entitled "Ruling on depositing money in the bank, and interest".

The question was:

We are indian citizens.we deposite money in the bank...how to deal with the interest given by banks.

And the answer was:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Depositing money in the bank in return for interest is riba (usury), which is a major sin. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Be afraid of Allaah and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribaa (from now onward) if you are (really) believers.

279. And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allaah and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums)”

[al-Baqarah 2:278-279]

If a Muslim is forced to put his money in the bank, because he cannot find any other means of keeping his money safe apart from putting it in the bank, then there is no sin in that, in sha Allaah, subject to two conditions:

1- That he does not take any interest in return

2- That the bank does not deal only with interest, rather it should have some other activities that are permissible in which it invests the money deposited. See questions no. 22392 and 49677

It is not permissible to make use of the interest (riba) which the banks pay to their customers. They must get rid of it by donating it to charitable causes.

The Scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas said:

The interest which the banks pay to depositors on the money that they deposit in them is regarded as riba (usury). It is not permissible to make use of this interest, and the customer must repent to Allaah from depositing his money in riba-based banks. He should withdraw the money that he deposited and the interest, keep the original amount and donate the extra to charity, to the poor and needy or for renovating public facilities etc.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/404

And Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
With regard to the interest that the bank gives to you, do not give it back to the bank and do not keep it, rather spend it on charitable causes such as giving it to the poor, renovating public washrooms, helping debtors who are unable to pay off their loans, etc.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/407

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Source: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/23346

The best reason to describe why I posted this video and why I wrote my comments is as follows:

When I first watched it, I wanted all my bothers in Islam to know what I have just learned. And I'm optimistic that with better research it could be established that there's still a lot of truth in the message of the above video. Having said that, it is very important that we Muslims must be sure of the accuracy of the information we present. Just because this video's message is against usury should not allow me or any other Muslim to be complacent about checking out the sources and making sure that they're all quoted correctly and in context.

So, a thorough research should be done on those quotations and one should try to find the original authentic sources of these quotations. But even if most these quotations turned out to be false, that will not make me change my mind about usury being forbidden, for in the end it is Allah the Almighty who said:

Those who consume interest cannot stand [on the Day of Resurrection] except as one stands who is being beaten by Satan into insanity. That is because they say, "Trade is [just] like interest." But Allah has permitted trade and has forbidden interest. So whoever has received an admonition from his Lord and desists may have what is past, and his affair rests with Allah . But whoever returns to [dealing in interest or usury] - those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide eternally therein. Allah destroys interest and gives increase for charities. And Allah does not like every sinning disbeliever. Indeed, those who believe and do righteous deeds and establish prayer and give zakah will have their reward with their Lord, and there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve. O you who have believed, fear Allah and give up what remains [due to you] of interest, if you should be believers. And if you do not, then be informed of a war [against you] from Allah and His Messenger. But if you repent, you may have your principal - [thus] you do no wrong, nor are you wronged.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 2:275-279]

And the words of Allah and/or His Messenger [peace be upon him] should be enough for any Muslim.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Assalamu aleekoom wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatoho

Dear brother, first it is nice to see you back. A thorough and detailed post as usual.

I have seen the video you mention. Some of quotes did look OTT. But I have to agree with the over all message in it as it does make sense.

If you are interested in further info about the subject then you can read "The problem with interest" written by brother Tarek Eldiwany who is a committed muslim and a western educated economist. The book is an eye opener. Brother Tarek is also affiliated to this website:

www.islamic-finance.com

I have read the book and thoroughly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Problem-Int...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237590573&sr=1-1

Asalaam'alikum dear brother Bluegazer!

It's always nice to see you around :)

You are touching on a subject that many people do not know about. A subject that is rarely mentioned in school books & universities.

I have talked about the Federal Reserve many many times. You see, you will not find the corruption in the Federal Reserves website, it's in their history! It's the duty of the corrupter to keep people uneducated & uninformed.

Below you will find videos and quotes & statements by U.S. congressmen such as Ron Paul, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Henry Ford, economists, and many other well known people to add to the credentials.

The world we live is infested with fiat currency, or as some call it toilet papers! The paper system prolongs & finances wars. Without wars the paper currency would eventually collapse. Wars generate profits to the U.S. & capitalist socieites. The income tax is unconstitutional and was used a weapon of mass deception to rob the people.

Furthermore, the control of the money supply is controlled by Zionists who sit on the Federal Reserve board and unsuprisingly their terms are over 10+ years!

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41149

Related Articles:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=269317&postcount=1
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52841

P.S. Sister Mirajmom, brother Taxhonesty, and brother Ayman1 can suggest you to further readings.