Mother does not approve of her son marrying because the girl is "not attractive"

kiana

Asalamu alaykum,

I pray everyone is in good health. I just have a question, and inshallah someone would help answer it. A mother does not approve of her son marrying a girl because the girl is "not attractive" enough according to the mother. The son apparently cherishes this girl because he is not shallow. I told him to pray to Allah and ask Allah to soften his mother's heart and allow her to accept the girl.

can Allah change the mother's heart and make her accept this girl?

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
إِنَّ قُلُوبَ بَنِي آدَمَ كُلَّهَا بَيْنَ إِصْبَعَيْنِ مِنْ أَصَابِعِ الرَّحْمَنِ كَقَلْبٍ وَاحِدٍ يُصَرِّفُهُ حَيْثُ يَشَاءُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ اللَّهُمَّ مُصَرِّفَ الْقُلُوبِ صَرِّفْ قُلُوبَنَا عَلَى طَاعَتِكَ

Abdullah b. Amr b. al-'As reported that he heard Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) as saying:
Verily, the hearts of all the sons of Adam are between the two fingers out of the fingers of the Compassionate Lord as one heart. He turns that to any (direction) He likes. Then Allahs Messenger (peace be upon him) said: 0 Allah, the Turner of the hearts, turn our hearts to Thine obedience.
http://sunnah.com/muslim/46/29

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Salam alaykum

As you know, to Allah everything is possible so yes he can - if it is his plan. If not, that boy should remember that Allah knows the best and accept it.

Many times we pray and ask from Allah things which are not good for us in the future and forget that Allah knows more than we know.

Precious Star

Asalamu alaykum,

I pray everyone is in good health. I just have a question, and inshallah someone would help answer it. A mother does not approve of her son marrying a girl because the girl is "not attractive" enough according to the mother. The son apparently cherishes this girl because he is not shallow. I told him to pray to Allah and ask Allah to soften his mother's heart and allow her to accept the girl.

Kiana,

Allah SWT is capable of anything.

But He gives us free will. He does not make decisions for us,

Dua is not voodoo. You can't use dua to force the agency of others. Ultimately, if she changes her mind, it will be of her own free will.

This boy does not need his mother's permission to marry this girl. If he obeys her, he is paying homage to these silly cultural practices that have nothing to do with Islam.