** Muslim Hairdresser Sues Salon Owner **

OsMaN_93

Here to help
asalam ..
i dont think it would be easy to win such case because she(MUsLIM) has already admitted that the owner "did not make any derogatory comment about her headscraf or religion."
Admitting that Ms Desrosiers did not make any derogatory comment about her headscarf or religion, Ms Noah said: "I didn't mind her asking the questions but her approach was different you know?

BUT LET US MAKE DUAA FOR HER TO WIN INSHALLAH!!
:salam2:

curious89

I think it's gone a bit too far. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not the only job that she has got turned down for (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's not right that she got turned down because of the hijaab but I heard that she is suing the owner for a lot of money and the owner is likely to lose her business if the sister wins. It doesn't create a good opinion to non Muslims because of the press coverage. If it was a normal case (i.e discrimintation of another kind) it wouldn't be so covered in the media. It's good that it's recognized but not good again because of the press coverage surrounding it.

Please forgive me if I've offended anyone.

assalam alaikum:blackhijab:

q8penpals

Salam

To play the flip-side, I have chosen NOT to use certain hairdressers in my life because of the way they style THEIR OWN hair. Has anyone thought of the fact that if a HAIR customer can't see how their stylist does their own hair, how can you know how good they are? That is the nature of the business, in a sense. What if a Muslim was turned down for a chef job because the restaurant serves pork and the chef says he won't cook it? Is that religious descirimination?

Maybe this lady needs to apply to work in a women's only salon where she can take her headscarf off at work (here in Kuwait, no women wear their headscarves inside ecause it is all women)? Maybe she should start her own in-home salon and cater to Muslim women - this is defnitely something that I hear women on here complaining about - lack of Muslim shopos such as this? Sueing a sole proprietor and running that lady out of business is not going to do anyone any good (and I am against frivilous lawsuits of any sort, not just this).

my humble thoughts...

Lana

muhammad.abdullah

:salam2:

I believe its NOT religious discrimination at all. Honestly, i think we have become paranoid as well. If an a police officer stops us on the road, we call him a racist or that he stopped us because we were muslims. If we get a parking ticket, we think its because of racism or religious discrimination. We get turned down from a job that the employer thinks we are not suitable for, we think its racism or religious discrimination.
Grow up muslims, i work with 5 white englishmen who are managers and there are 17 or 19 of us as subordinates. I must say that being a muslim or belonging to another race has never ever made me feel uncomfortable with these white guys. They respect us, they give us extra break in ramazan, they dont press us to work hard in ramadan because they know we are weakened towards the evening beause of the fast. They never made derogatory remarks about Islam in any form, on the contrary they respect us. For instance a lot of guys make wudu for the prayer times in the place we work, for 3 years i have been there and not a single day has passed when they didnn't ask us to wipe off the water from the basin tops and floor after we make wudu and not a single time anyone has payed attention to it, our guys just make pools of water in the washroom. Still they have never asked us not to make wudu there or reproached us but still they get called racist by many.
I find my own collegues who are all muslims and non-white to be very inconsiderate towards the management and other muslim collegues as well. To be honest, if i were to sue anybody, i would sue my own collegues. You may or may not believe me but every obstacle in life is not racism or religious discrimination.

:wasalam:

saira1984

Trust in Allah swt
Salam

To play the flip-side, I have chosen NOT to use certain hairdressers in my life because of the way they style THEIR OWN hair. Has anyone thought of the fact that if a HAIR customer can't see how their stylist does their own hair, how can you know how good they are? That is the nature of the business, in a sense. What if a Muslim was turned down for a chef job because the restaurant serves pork and the chef says he won't cook it? Is that religious descirimination?

Maybe this lady needs to apply to work in a women's only salon where she can take her headscarf off at work (here in Kuwait, no women wear their headscarves inside ecause it is all women)? Maybe she should start her own in-home salon and cater to Muslim women - this is defnitely something that I hear women on here complaining about - lack of Muslim shopos such as this? Sueing a sole proprietor and running that lady out of business is not going to do anyone any good (and I am against frivilous lawsuits of any sort, not just this).

my humble thoughts...

Lana

Salam I agree with what sister lana has said.....

As I live close to this hairdressers I know what type it is - very westernised 'trendy'. I feel for the sister and although she wears her hijab with pride there are other hairdressers in the area that are women only which would be more suited.

wasalam saira

q8penpals

I think it's gone a bit too far. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not the only job that she has got turned down for (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Salam

One might also think that at only 18 years old, one could be being turned down for jobs for a variety of reasons (lack of experience being a good one). Or if she has gotten turned down for a bunch of jobs, maybe she needs to re-work her interviewing techniques.

At 18, if she sues this woman (whether she wins or loses), it will bring a lot of attention - then who do you think will hire her ever? No one - they will be afraid she will sue them if she is not happy! And win or lose, it will cost both of them a lot in attorney and court fees.

This is different than the sister who posted in another area about her problems with the manager at the wal-mart that she works at - the first being that wal-mart is a huge corporation, not a single lady running her own business.

We as Muslims need to look at the full picture. Imagine you own your own restaurant (halal of course!), and your chef brings for himself a big huge pork sandwich for his own lunch? Or your waitress ends up being an unwed mother? Your cleaner is a hindu? The ways laws are, you can't discriminate and fire these people, or even refuse to hire them, based on this information. You can't advertise and look for ONLY Muslims to work for you - even in the US, churches who hire workers cannot require that the person be of the same religion. You can't tell your cook not to bring pork because then you are pushing YOUR religious beliefs on him - can't fire the unwed mother for having sex outside marriage because it would be enforcing YOUR religious beliefs.

So we need to be careful and choose our battles - I agree with the poster who stated that some MUslims seem to think they are being discriminated against any time somethng doesn't go their way. No one said life was fair or a bed of roses - we all know that Allah is testing us every day. Stay strong and deal with it!

Humbly

Lana

q8penpals

As I live close to this hairdressers I know what type it is - very westernised 'trendy'.

Salam

Then maybe this is Allah's way of telling the girl that she shouldn't be working in that type of environment. It could be a blessing in disguise from Allah!

Lana