Muslim traditions, do's and don'ts.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Okay Brother Humble!

Subhan'Allah, i read the Anna Jarvis establishment of Mother's Day and understand what the rest of your post.

But i want to stop it here. I was checking some of my previous comments on this thread and i am sorry for what i have said. :shymuslima1:

Wasalam

Asalaamu'Alykum,

Okay Brother Humble!

Subhan'Allah, i read the Anna Jarvis establishment of Mother's Day and understand what the rest of your post.

But i want to stop it here. I was checking some of my previous comments on this thread and i am sorry for what i have said. :shymuslima1:

Wasalam

Salaam akhi,

It's also an issue amongst the contemporary scholars. It's just best to look at both sides before we quickly label something haram or halal. Allahu alam (Allah knows best). These are minor issues, may Allah swt guide us all :)

I'm a person that understands things logically and alhamdulillah Islam helps my brain make sense of not just religious issues but also with every day life activities.

walaakum salaam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

I see. Alhamdulilah. You could say this was an example of making something Small - Big, although that can be defeated. :)

Anyway, i think you just destroyed this thread brother. :p

yes I noticed these things too and in some matters they contradict themselves, generally I have benefited from their page but mostly I personally use www.islamweb.net or some German pages about islam... secondly it doesn't mean that they can't be correct about various things...and I am quite sure about that birthday thing you see...why celebrate that you have one year less to live? I mean isn't that cynical?

Salaam sister,

Yup, I have noticed them too.

Islam Q&A said that we are imitating the kuffar (see link below) while Islamonline.net said it's okay to celebrate Mothers Day.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=59905&ln=eng&txt=celebrating mothers day

This is why I try to be careful. I noticed a few other things Islam Q&A which I beg to differ in my view. I'm not saying everything they say is wrong, but there are a very few. We should use our own human "common senses." Take care.

wasalaam

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
:salam2:

Islam QA always provides evidences from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, as well as the fatawa of some of the 4 Imams or known respected Scholars from the past rahimahumullah.

I'm wondering who are these modern time's 'sheikhs', where have they studied their Islaam, who was their teacher, and why they try so hard to make muslims' lives the same as the kuffar's lives only pointing out that alcohol and pork should be avoided. Hey, there are other things too. But if they mislead people, they will get the sins of all those who follow them. SubhanAllaah, what a responsibility.

Saidsaad

I come from a Christian family who always seem to go over the top when it comes to birthdays & christmas.
I try to keep gifts simple and would buy them Chocolates, flowers or a gift voucher.

Suhaila1

~~~~~~
I think the morality of celebrating birthdays, like many things, depends on your intentions.

If you're celebrating birthdays to celebrate yourself, obviously thats not good.

But if you think of birthdays as days to celebrate life, and thank God for giving you another year of life, how can that be bad?

When I was younger birthdays were a big deal, but as I got older I got less attached to them. Usually my siblings just take me out to eat and I get presents from classmates, but we don't really have a ceremony or anything most of the time (sometimes we do the whole birthday cake thing, which I know some people think is like, demonic or something, but I think don't think desserts can really be characterized as evil, myself :p).

Asiya-sparkles

Hello,

I live next to a really nice Muslim couple, we often watch their house when they're away and such. She has done many nice things for us, brought me over some middle eastern cuisin (i won't even attempt to pronounce what it was), brought over a birthday present for my daughter, bought me some wine from France (apparanly she wasn't supposed to) and just recently brought over some Christmas presents for my daughter (which shocked me). We want to do something really nice for them but don't want to offend them since we are ignorant to their religion. We wanted to either buy them a gift certificate towards a meal at a resturant or just buy them a present, but we are unsure about what is considered "ok" when presents are concerned.

Thanks

You sound like a lovely thoughtful neighbour in your own right, that in itself is a gift and blessing - truly! :) In Islam even a smile is like a gift or act of charity and to be honest you have probably more insight into this sister than we do!!! Having been within her home, perhaps you have a sense of her taste? Does she like to wear a pretty scarf for her hijab? Does she like flowers? Sometimes a simple gesture is enough, its a thoughtful and sincere gift that means more than the value of the gift in monetary terms, and I'm sure that she would be truly touched to know that you have gone to so much trouble to find out how you could best please her! You could even invite her over for lunch or take lunch to her that you had prepared yourself as long as the ingredients are halal and obviously don't contain pork or pork products or alcohol.

May you both continue to be blessed with such good neighbours :)

nizar83

selem waterdrop, seems like you have some real good neighbours thnx to god.

i am pretty sure the best gift you could ever ever give them, is to show them interesse in their religion of islam.
not saying you should do anything instantly, but just like brother anyman said before...why remain ignorant.

you seem to be a humble and loving person, and im pretty sure you would love to understand what they are living for.

Birthdays in ISLAM?

UMMMMM.......we do.......my husband (born muslim) has always celebrated birthdays in our family. We don't do big birthday parties for outsiders to come but we do a cake and sing Happy Bday to our kids and each other every year!

Hi, are you muslim. Just so you know it is haram to celebrate birthdays

Question:
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Attending a feast for a child’s birthday and eating that food

Question:
Muslims in this region are celebrating naming ceremony for babies and doing maulid or salatun naaria and the give food to the guests. some of us say that we will not come to eat that food because the whole gathering is a bid'a but we participate in that gathering so that the people dont get offended. but the people who r conducting this celebration r saying we hav made food only for the guest and has no relevance to maulid. and also they force us to eat. is it allowed to eat if they force us and they asking daleel bas to why we r refusing to eat. pls explain with proof in hadeeth that what we r doing is correct or not as we r not able to give concrete evidence

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Celebrating birthdays is an innovation in the religion of Allaah, and it is not permissible to do this. It is not permissible to eat the food that has been prepared for this occasion. Their claim that the food for the birthday celebration is for the guests does not make it excusable to eat it. Hospitality is subject to its own rulings, and matters are judged according to the intentions behind them. It is very clear that the food is being prepared for this innovated occasion, and eating this food is one of the things that helps them to persist in doing this. It is a kind of co-operation in sin and transgression. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al Birr and At Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

With regard to al-salaah al-naariyah, this is one of the innovated Sufi prayers; it is not permissible to attend those gatherings or to take part in them.

ISLAM Q AND A

Birthdays in islam?

I think the morality of celebrating birthdays, like many things, depends on your intentions.

If you're celebrating birthdays to celebrate yourself, obviously thats not good.

But if you think of birthdays as days to celebrate life, and thank God for giving you another year of life, how can that be bad?

When I was younger birthdays were a big deal, but as I got older I got less attached to them. Usually my siblings just take me out to eat and I get presents from classmates, but we don't really have a ceremony or anything most of the time (sometimes we do the whole birthday cake thing, which I know some people think is like, demonic or something, but I think don't think desserts can really be characterized as evil, myself :p).

UMMMMM.......we do.......my husband (born muslim) has always celebrated birthdays in our family. We don't do big birthday parties for outsiders to come but we do a cake and sing Happy Bday to our kids and each other every year!

Hi, are you muslim. Just so you know it is haram to celebrate birthdays

uestion:
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Attending a feast for a child’s birthday and eating that food

Question:
Muslims in this region are celebrating naming ceremony for babies and doing maulid or salatun naaria and the give food to the guests. some of us say that we will not come to eat that food because the whole gathering is a bid'a but we participate in that gathering so that the people dont get offended. but the people who r conducting this celebration r saying we hav made food only for the guest and has no relevance to maulid. and also they force us to eat. is it allowed to eat if they force us and they asking daleel bas to why we r refusing to eat. pls explain with proof in hadeeth that what we r doing is correct or not as we r not able to give concrete evidence

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Celebrating birthdays is an innovation in the religion of Allaah, and it is not permissible to do this. It is not permissible to eat the food that has been prepared for this occasion. Their claim that the food for the birthday celebration is for the guests does not make it excusable to eat it. Hospitality is subject to its own rulings, and matters are judged according to the intentions behind them. It is very clear that the food is being prepared for this innovated occasion, and eating this food is one of the things that helps them to persist in doing this. It is a kind of co-operation in sin and transgression. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al Birr and At Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

With regard to al-salaah al-naariyah, this is one of the innovated Sufi prayers; it is not permissible to attend those gatherings or to take part in them.

ISLAM Q AND A

The Birthday reply is towards non muslims

Hi I am not sure who is the non muslims in here but i dont want you all to leave thinking we celebrate birthdays. Islam does not support the celebration of birthdays. Just like it dosent support the eating of pork or alcohol there are no two ways about it anything other than that is bidah. I hope you understand the religion better

Replying to post number 40 and anyone else

Salaam sister Habiba_muslimat,

I'd like you to give me some input about my post #40. Please let me know what you think.

I have a question and I wish for it to be answered truthfully and free from the influence of someone's nafs

1. Where in islam do you have proof that it is right to celebrate birthdays.

Bismillahirahmanir rahim

Asalamu alaikum.

When there is a holiday like mother's day or carnival(where I am) some muslims go out and have fun with their family or stay home and have fun with their family. I think that is ok. As long as you don;t imitate the kufars and Say "Happy mothers day" or whatever.

Islam is not about following Nafs( your own whims and desires) it is about doing what is right and following the principles that Allah through his mercy have enjoined upon the muslims. I don't believe we should give Non muslim WRONG INFORMATION about islam. Just because we don't do the right things.
Muslims know that celebrating birthdays is wrong. If me or anyone does that we know we are not doing it while following guidance from our Lord Allah.
So whose guidance are we following when we do it? The Pagans, those who would get rid of us in an instant if they could. The Prophet warned against following innovation and he told us to hold on to our Quran and Sunnah with our Molar teeth. Stay far away from innovations, which leads to shirk, which leads to hell. May Allah Guide us all to the straight path and help us to tame our Nafs and stick to the quran and Sunnah Ameen.

Asalamalikum sister Habiba_muslimat,

I think we will respectfully agree to disagree. I have provided you the history of Mother's Day in the U.S. In my humble opinion, Mother's day is not an act of worship but an act of appreciation and it is not an innovation in religion but an innovation in culture.

I'm curious - will you and your husband celebrate your wedding anniversary [through out your life]?

wasalaam

Evidence

Syedna Qatadah Al-Ansaari narrated that the Prophet was asked about fasting on Monday and he replied: "It is the day on which I was born and on which I received the Divine Revelation". (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2606)

Source: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/006.smt.html

Muslim scholars take this hadith on the permissibility of celebrating good occasions. We must be careful because making halal things haram and haram things halal can also be sinful.

May Allah swt guide us on the right path and forgive me if I've said anything incorrectly.

Replying to post

Asalamalikum sister Habiba_muslimat,

I think we will respectfully agree to disagree. I have provided you the history of Mother's Day in the U.S. In my humble opinion, Mother's day is not an act of worship but an act of appreciation and it is not an innovation in religion but an innovation in culture.

I'm curious - will you and your husband celebrate your wedding anniversary [through out your life]?

wasalaam

All we were commanded to celebrate is the two eids.

Islam shows more appreciation for mothers than mothers day.

Ex. Giving material things as gifts etc.
It is not necessary to appreciate your mother on the same day every one(non muslim) is doing it. Why do you want to do it the same day they are doing it. Why do you want to be like them. It is not islamic to imitate the kufar. As regards to my wedding anniversary, I Itry to appreciate being married every day. It goes along with appreiciating being alive everyday. I don't wait until I reach the wedding day to celebrate it. I am happy for it everyday and I do not see the need to do it like non muslims do it personally. Not to mention once again it is not islamic to imitate the kufar.

QUestion: Where in islam does it say we allowed to celebrate other things besides eid. Did you ever hear of the prophet doing any of that?

Please aNSwer that question?

Because any answer would be something to go along with human wims and desires

ok

Syedna Qatadah Al-Ansaari narrated that the Prophet was asked about fasting on Monday and he replied: "It is the day on which I was born and on which I received the Divine Revelation". (Muslim, Book 006, Number 2606)

Source: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/006.smt.html

Muslim scholars take this hadith on the permissibility of celebrating good occasions. We must be careful because making halal things haram and haram things halal can also be sinful.

May Allah swt guide us on the right path and forgive me if I've said anything incorrectly.

I am not going to see a sister or brother doing something haram and say oh ok thats your opinion when I KNOW it is wrong and I can do something about or at least hate it in my heart.

Enjoining good and forbidding evil

Allah the Most High said: Let there be among you a community who enjoin good and forbid evil; it is they that shall be successful, [3:104] and: You are the best community that has ever been brought forth for mankind: you enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in God, [3:110] and: Those who repent, those who worship, those who praise, those who persevere, those who bow down, those who prostrate, and those who enjoin good and forbid evil, [9:112] and: Those of the Israelites who were unbelievers have already been cursed on the tongue of David and Jesus, son of Mary, for they were disobedient, and transgressed. They did not forbid one another from committing the evil that they wrought. What they used to do was foul indeed. [5:79]

Muslim relates on the authority of Abu Sa`id (radhiallahu `anhu) that the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said, "Whoever sees something evil should change it with his hand. If he cannot, then with his tongue; and if he cannot do even that, then in his heart. That is the weakest degree of faith."

He also relates on the authority of Ibn Mas`ud that the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said, "There was not a single Prophet among those who were sent before me who did not have apostles and companions and followed his Sunna and obeyed his commands. But afterwards other generations came whose words belied their deeds, and whose deeds were not in accordance with what they commanded others to do. Whoever struggles against the with his hand is a believer. Whoever struggles against them with his tongue is a believer. And whoever struggles against them with his heart is a believer. But when none of these things are done, then not a single mustard's seed weight of faith is present."

Bukhari and Muslim relate that Zaynab (radhiallahu `anha), the wife of the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said, "The Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) once awoke, and his face was dark, as he said three times, 'There is no deity worthy of worship but Allah! Woe betide the Arabs, because of an evil which will soon come! Today, the barrier of Juj and Ma`juj has been breached by so much,' and he made a circle with his thumb and forefinger." And Zaynab remarked, "I said, 'O Messenger of Allah! Even when the righteous still dwell amongst us?' and he said, 'Yes, when khubth (moral degradation) becomes widespread.'"

Malik ibn Dinar once recited the verse, There were in the city nine men who caused corruption in the earth, and would not cause reform, [27:48] and said, "Nowadays, there are people in every clan and district who cause corruption in the earth, and do not cause reform."

He also said, "We have become accustomed to loving the world, so that we do not enjoin good or forbid evil to one another. Allah the Most High will certainly not permit us to continue doing this, but would that I knew what kind of punishment shall befall us!"

`Umar ibn `Abdul `Aziz said, "It used to be that Allah the Most High does not punish the common people for the sins of the elite; but when the evil is done openly, and they do not repudiate it, they all become deserving of His punishment."

Islaam.com

And which scholars can you quote saying that birthday celebrating is OK.
If the scholars are not following the guidance of the prophet and his companions why should I listen to them. Just like some scholars enforce strict rules in islam when the prophet said take a moderate path.

Salaam respected sister Habiba_muslimat,

I agree with you when you say that we Muslims should not be grudged to just one special day for Mothers Day or your anniversary. We should appreciate our parents, family, wife, husband, etc every day. We are in terms here.

Mothers Day by chance falls on the every day occasion that we Muslims love our mother. Please read my post #40 carefully. We are not imitating the kufar because Allah swt says to love your parents every day.

Let me ask you this - Where in Islam does it say using microwaves is halal?

I have given you a authentic hadith. No where in the Quran does it specifically say that celebrating birthdays is haram. Again, this is not innovation in religion but innovation in culture.

You don't have to agree with me sister. You are entitled to your opinion because there are different scholarly opinions on this subject.

wasalaam