Muslim traditions, do's and don'ts.

Mothers Day

The History of Mothers day from two different sources

The Story of Mother's Day

The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods. During the 1600's, England celebrated a day called "Mothering Sunday". Celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent (the 40 day period leading up to Easter*), "Mothering Sunday" honored the mothers of England.
*(For more information on Lent/Easter check out - Easter on the Net)

During this time many of the England's poor worked as servants for the wealthy. As most jobs were located far from their homes, the servants would live at the houses of their employers. On Mothering Sunday the servants would have the day off and were encouraged to return home and spend the day with their mothers. A special cake, called the mothering cake, was often brought along to provide a festive touch.

As Christianity spread throughout Europe the celebration changed to honor the "Mother Church" - the spiritual power that gave them life and protected them from harm. Over time the church festival blended with the Mothering Sunday celebration . People began honoring their mothers as well as the church.

In the United States Mother's Day was first suggested in 1872 by Julia Ward Howe (who wrote the words to the Battle hymn of the Republic) as a day dedicated to peace. Ms. Howe would hold organized Mother's Day meetings in Boston, Mass ever year.

In 1907 Ana Jarvis, from Philadelphia, began a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Ms. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death, the 2nd Sunday of May. By the next year Mother's Day was also celebrated in Philadelphia.

Ms. Jarvis and her supporters began to write to ministers, businessman, and politicians in their quest to establish a national Mother's Day. It was successful as by 1911 Mother's Day was celebrated in almost every state. President Woodrow Wilson, in 1914, made the official announcement proclaiming Mother's Day as a national holiday that was to be held each year on the 2nd Sunday of May.

While many countries of the world celebrate their own Mother's Day at different times throughout the year, there are some countries such as Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia, and Belgium which also celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday of May.

Mother's Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mother's Day is a day honoring mothers, celebrated on various days in many places around the world. Mothers often receive gifts on this day. It complements Father's Day, the celebration honoring fathers.
Contents
[hide]

Different countries celebrate Mother's Day on various days of the year because the day has a number of different origins.

One school of thought claims this day emerged from a custom of mother worship in ancient Greece, which kept a festival to Cybele, a great mother of Greek gods. This festival was held around the Vernal Equinox around Asia Minor and eventually in Rome itself from the Ides of March (15 March) to 18 March.

The ancient Romans also had another holiday, Matronalia, that was dedicated to Juno, though mothers were usually given gifts on this day.

In some countries the Mother's Day began not as a celebration for individual mothers but rather for Christians.[citation needed]

[edit] Mothering Sunday in Britain & Ireland

Main article: Mothering Sunday

Mothering Sunday, also called "Mothers' Day" in the United Kingdom and Ireland falls on the fourth Sunday of Lent (exactly three weeks before Easter Sunday). It is believed to have originated from the 16th century Christian practice of visiting one's mother church annually, which meant that most mothers would be reunited with their children on this day. Most historians believe that young apprentices and young women in servitude were released by their masters that weekend in order to visit their families.[1] As a result of secularization, it is now principally used to celebrate and give thanks for mothers, although it is still recognized in the historical sense by some churches, with attention paid to Mary the mother of Jesus as well as the traditional concept 'Mother Church'.

[edit] Mother's Day in the United States

Main article: Mother's Day (United States)

The United States celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May. In the United States, Mother's Day was loosely inspired by the British day and was imported by social activist Julia Ward Howe after the American Civil War. However, it was intended as a call to unite women against war. In 1870, she wrote the Mother's Day Proclamation as a call for peace and disarmament. Howe failed in her attempt to get formal recognition of a Mother's Day for Peace. Her idea was influenced by Ann Jarvis, a young Appalachian homemaker who, starting in 1858, had attempted to improve sanitation through what she called Mothers' Work Days. She organized women throughout the Civil War to work for better sanitary conditions for both sides, and in 1868 she began work to reconcile Union and Confederate neighbors. In parts of the United States it is customary to plant tomatoes outdoors after Mother's Day (and not before).

When Jarvis died in 1907, her daughter, named Anna Jarvis, started the crusade to found a memorial day for women. The first such Mother's Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia, on 10 May 1908, in the church where the elder Ann Jarvis had taught Sunday School. Grafton is the home to the International Mother's Day Shrine. From there, the custom caught on — spreading eventually to 45 states. The holiday was declared officially by some states beginning in 1912. In 1914 President Woodrow Wilson declared the first national Mother's Day, as a day for American citizens to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war.

Nine years after the first official Mother's Day, commercialization of the U.S. holiday became so rampant that Anna Jarvis herself became a major opponent of what the holiday had become. Mother's Day continues to this day to be one of the most commercially successful U.S. occasions. According to the National Restaurant Association, Mother's Day is now the most popular day of the year to dine out at a restaurant in the United States.

Prophets Birthday

Fiqh Issues The Ruling of Celebrating the Prophet's Birthday
Posted byadministrator on Saturday, March 15 @ 14:21:43 AST
Contributed by administrator

Translated by: Mohamed Mansour

The sheikh has been asked as in “Fatawa sheikh Mohammad Al Salih Al Othaimeen”, prepared and organized by Ashraf Abdel Maksoud (1 / 126)

What is the ruling of celebrating the prophet’s birthday?

He answered:

We see that one's faith can't be perfected until he loves the messenger (peace and blessings upon him) and glorifies him with what he should glorify him with, and with what is suitable for him (peace and blessings upon him), and there is no doubt that the sending of the messenger (peace and blessings upon him) and I don't say his birth, but his sending as he wasn't a messenger until he was sent, as people of knowledge have said, he has been informed by Iqra' (Surah Al-'Alaq) and has been sent by Al-Muddaththir (Surah Al-Muddaththir), and there is no doubt that his sending is a benefit to the whole mankind as Allah has said: Say (O Mohammad, peace and blessings upon him) “O mankind!, verily I am sent to you all as the messenger of Allah, to whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. None has the right to be worshiped but he. It is he who gives life and causes death. So believe in Allah and his messenger, the prophet who can neither read nor write (i.e. Mohammad, peace and blessings upon him), who believes in Allah and his words, and follow him so that you may be guided.” Al-'Araf: 158.

And if he was so, then as a part of our glorification, respect, and politeness towards him, and as a part of taking him as a leader and someone to follow, is not to exceed than the worships he has legislated for us, because the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him) died and there was nothing good for his nation but he has showed it and has ordered us to do, and there was nothing evil for his Ummah, but he has clarified it and warned us from. So, as we believe in him as a leader and someone to follow, we don't have the right to celebrate his birth or his sending, as celebration means happiness, joy, and showing glorification, and all these things are types of worship that get us closer to Allah, so we are not allowed to legislate in worships but what Allah and his messenger has legislated. So, celebrating the birthday is considered innovation, and the prophet (peace and blessings upon him) said: “Every innovation is misguidance.” He has said this is general word, and he (peace and blessings upon him) is the best to know what he says, the most eloquent in what he speaks, and the most advising in what he guides to, there is no doubt in this, and the messenger hasn't excluded anything of the innovations that is not misguidance, and it is well known that misguidance is the opposite of guidance. That's why The Al-Nasa'i reported another narration: “Every misguidance is in hellfire”, therefore if celebrating his birthday (peace and blessings upon him) one of the things liked by Allah and his messenger, then it would have been permissible, and if it was permissible, then it would have been preserved, as Allah has ensured preserving his rulings, and if it was preserved, the guided caliphs, the companions, their followers and those who followed would have left it. Since they haven't done anything of this, it has been know that this is not a part of the religion of Allah, and what I advice the Muslims in general with, is not to avoid such things whose legality haven't been proved neither by the Qur'an nor by the traditions of the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him), nor in the deeds of the companions, and to pay attention to what is clear in the rulings as known obligatory and preferable deeds, and in it there is sufficiency and reform of the individual and the society.

And if you looked carefully into the conditions of those who are fond of such innovations, you will find them reluctant not only in doing preferable deeds, but also in doing duties and obligations. This is a part from the exaggeration in the prophet (peace and blessings upon him) that is found in these celebrations, that leads to the major shirk (making partners with Allah) which causes one to get outside the religion, and that the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him) have fought people for it, and have made their bloods, money, and property lawful. We hear that there are some poems that are said during these celebrations that surely causes one to get out of the religion, as they repeat the saying of the Busiri:

O the most honored creature, who can I seek for refuge

But you, when a great accident happens to me

If you weren't to take my hand on the day of resurrection

Shaking it, then say “Oh, foot slips!”

Among your generosity are this life and the other one

And among your knowledge is the knowledge of the tablet and the pen

Such attributes are due only to Allah, and I am astonished by who says such words. If he understands what he is saying, then how can he justify saying to the prophet: “Among you generosity is this life and the other one”, and “Among” here is stating that it is part of his generosity, and “the other one” is the hereafter. So, if this life and the one to come is among the generosity of the messenger (peace and blessings upon him), and not all his generosity, then what is left for Allah, for sure, nothing would have been left, neither in this life nor in the hereafter. And also “And among your knowledge is the knowledge of he tablet and the pen”, and “Among” here is stating that it is part of his knowledge, and I don't know what will be left for Allah, if we talked to the messenger (peace and blessings upon him) with such speech.

And wait my Muslim brother... If you fear Allah, then give the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him) the degree Allah has given to him. He is the slave of Allah and his messenger, so say “Slave of Allah, and his messenger”. And believe in what Allah has commanded him to convey to all mankind: Say (O Mohammad, peace and blessing upon him) “I don't tell you that with me are the treasures of Allah, nor (that) I know the unseen; nor that I tell you I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me.” Al-An'am: 50, and what Allah has commanded him with when he said: Say (O Mohammad, peace and blessing upon him) “It is not in my power to cause you harm, or to bring you to the right path.” Al-Jinn: 21, and in addition to that: Say (O Mohammad, peace and blessing upon him) “None can protect me from Allah's punishment (if I were to disobey him), nor can I find refuge except in him.” Al-Jinn: 22, even if Allah wants to do something to the messenger (peace and blessings upon him), no one can protect him from Allah.

So, the net result of these festivals or celebrations of the prophet's (peace and blessings upon him) birthday, is not just limited to being an innovation in the religion, but also other bad things are added to it and can lead to major shirk.

Moreover, from what we have heard, there is intermixing between men and women, and there is clapping and using Duff (one-sided drum), etc.. and other bad things that no believer can have doubt in condemning them, and we are satisfied with what Allah and his messenger have legislated for us, as in it is the reform of the hearts, countries, and people.

Halal and Haram

Salaam respected sister Habiba_muslimat,

I agree with you when you say that we Muslims should not be grudged to just one special day for Mothers Day or your anniversary. We should appreciate our parents, family, wife, husband, etc every day. We are in terms here.

Mothers Day by chance falls on the every day occasion that we Muslims love our mother. Please read my post #40 carefully. We are not imitating the kufar because Allah swt says to love your parents every day.

Let me ask you this - Where in Islam does it say using microwaves is halal?

I have given you a authentic hadith. No where in the Quran does it specifically say that celebrating birthdays is haram. Again, this is not innovation in religion but innovation in culture.

You don't have to agree with me sister. You are entitled to your opinion because there are different scholarly opinions on this subject.

wasalaam

Where in islam does it say that drinking alcohol is Halal?

It is the same with our celebrations, There are halal and haram celebrations and knowing that the people would be seduced into imitating the kufars the prophet specifically said that we are only to celebrate the two eids. Why is that hard for people to understand. We were ordered to only celebrate the two eids just like we were ordered not to commit fornication or adultery.

Birthday

I agree with you when you say that we Muslims should not be grudged to just one special day for Mothers Day or your anniversary. We should appreciate our parents, family, wife, husband, etc every day. We are in terms here.

Mothers Day by chance falls on the every day occasion that we Muslims love our mother. Please read my post #40 carefully. We are not imitating the kufar because Allah swt says to love your parents every day.

I have given you a authentic hadith. No where in the Quran does it specifically say that celebrating birthdays is haram. Again, this is not innovation in religion but innovation in culture.

You don't have to agree with me sister. You are entitled to your opinion because there are different scholarly opinions on this subject.

wasalaam

is the name given to the day that some people in many cultures celebrate the anniversary of the day they were born. It is often marked by a birthday party and/or friends when gifts are given to the person celebrating the birthday. It is also customary to treat people specially on their birthday, either generally acceding to their wishes, or subjecting them to a rite of transition.

It is thought the large-scale celebration of birthdays in Europe began with the cult of Mithras, which originated in Persia but was spread by soldiers throughout the Roman Empire. Such celebrations were uncommon previously so practices from other contexts such as the Saturnalia were adapted for birthdays.[citation needed] Because many Roman soldiers took to Mithraism, it had a wide distribution and influence throughout the empire until it was supplanted by Christianity. The Jewish perspective on birthday celebrations is disputed by various rabbis.[1]

The celebration of birthdays is not universal. Some people prefer name day celebrations, and Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate either, considering their origins to be pagan festivals along with Christmas and Easter. Some adults loathe celebrating it as it reminds them that they are getting progressively older.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Birthday cake
* 2 Traditions
* 3 Holiday Births
* 4 Special birthdays
* 5 Official/Alternative birthdays and name day
* 6 Birthday gift symbolism
o 6.1 Birthstones
o 6.2 Birth flowers
* 7 Technical issues
o 7.1 Birthday stones
* 8 See also
* 9 References
* 10 External links

[edit] Birthday cake

Main article: Birthday cake

The birthday cake is traditionally highly decorated, and typically covered with lit candles when presented, the number of candles signifying the age of the celebrant. The person whose birthday it is makes a silent wish and then blows out the candles. If done in one breath, the wish is supposed to come true (but only if the person keeps the wish to himself or herself). It is also common for the "birthday boy" or "birthday girl" to cut the initial piece of the cake as a newlywed couple might with a wedding cake. If the knife touches the bottom, or when withdrawn from the cake comes out with pieces of cake adhering to it, the birthday boy or girl may have to kiss the nearest person of the opposite sex.

Birthday cakes date back as far as the Middle Ages when the English would conceal symbolic items such as gold coins, rings and thimbles inside their cakes. Each item was associated with a prediction. For example, a person finding a gold coin in a birthday cake would supposedly become wealthy; a person discovering a thimble would never marry.

For special birthdays and for when the number of candles might be considered impractical or a fire hazard, special candles are substituted for the many individual candles in the shape of a numeral. For example, on the fifth birthday, there may be one candle on the cake in the shape of the numeral five, and on the fiftieth birthday there may be two candles on the cake, one in the shape of the numeral five followed by the other in the shape of the number zero.

Birthday cakes are oftenly or usually designed specially for what the person who has the birthday likes. Many special cakes may be bought at a local Grocery Store.

[edit] Traditions

A birthday is considered a special day for the person, and so the person will often get special treatment from friends and family. This is especially true for children who cannot wait for their own special day. In addition to parties, people often receive gifts on their birthday. Birthday parties for children often include fun games, which are relevant to the local culture, or the visit of a magician to entertain. Typical birthday party decorations include balloons, streamers and confetti. There are also traditions of surprise parties. Not all traditions are equally generous. In certain circles, the birthday boy or girl is expected to treat their party guests; this varies depending on the local culture and may involve party gifts or other nice gesture. In some cultures, the birthday at which the youngster reaches the legal age for alcohol consumption may be celebrated with a party at which free or abundant alcoholic drinks are available.

In most English-speaking countries it is traditional to sing the song Happy Birthday to You to the honored person celebrating a birthday. The Happy Birthday song tune is thought to be the most frequently sung melody in the world. Similar songs exist in other languages such as "Lang zal hij/zij leven" (and several others) in Dutch, "Zum Geburtstag Viel Glück" in German, "Cumpleaños feliz" in Spanish, "Sto lat" in Polish, "Lá Bhreithlá Shona Duit" in Irish, "Joyeux Anniversaire" in French, "Tanti Auguri a te" in Italian and "Iyi ki dogdun, Mutlu Yillar Sana" in Turkish. This happens traditionally at a birthday party while someone brings a birthday cake into the (often darkened) room.

Pagan celebrations

wasalaam

I do not believe in imitating anyone other than the Rasul. Im sorry but that is what Islam tells me to do. And doing those other unnecessary things is just a waist of time and an avenue towards shirk. May Allah guide us to the straight path.

Stay far away from bidah. May Allah keep both of us firm on his deen and protect us from committing shirk Ameen.

cmelbouzaidi

I think it is a very nice gesture to give your Muslim neighbours a gift of some sort. A restaurant certificate can be tricky as most practising Muslims will only eat halal meat and will try to avoid restaurants where alcohol is served. However, who would not appreciate a keepsake/ornament for the house or some candy (without gelatin) for the kids, if they have any? I, personally, feel that a platter or vase or something of that nature is more meaningful than a cash/gift card present but it depends on how well you know them. The earlier post about informing yourself about Islam and opening up healthy discussions on the subject would be a really beautiful gift in itself.

Where in islam does it say that drinking alcohol is Halal?

Salaam sister Habiba_muslimat,

I assume you know, drinking alcohol in Islam is clearly haram as stated in the following verses:

"O you who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged, until you can understand all that you say." (4:43)

"They ask you concerning alcohol and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and some benefits for men, but the sin is far greater than the benefits." (2:219)

"You who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. Eschew such abomination, that you may prosper. Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer; will you not then abstain?" (5:90-91)

Islam was created with ease, Allah swt did not place a burden upon us. Are we imitating the kuffar if we are using their language (i.e. English)?...I wonder what pagan tradition is embedded in using the English language?

With regards to birthdays & mothers day, we will continue to chase each others tale. I will not speak of the subject matter anymore. I respect your opinion but I disagree with your view.

May Allah swt guide us on the right path. Ameen.

Take care

TheHumbleWun

Asiya-sparkles

Islam was created with ease, Allah swt did not place a burden upon us. Are we imitating the kuffar if we are using their language (i.e. English)?...I wonder what pagan tradition is embedded in using the English language?
May Allah swt guide us on the right path. Ameen.
TheHumbleWun

Salam alaikom wa Rachman t'ullah wa burrahktoh

Allah subhannah wa't'ala created all languages for all of man, and in fact Arabic was the language chosen for the Quran but not for the Gospel & not for the Torah. Yet we accept that both come from Allah. Pre-Islam the Arabs worshipped many so called gods..and spoke in Arabic.

Allah did not place hardship or burden us at all...He made it clear what is forbidden and what is permissable. Never has the use of language been denied to any people..why would Allah give us each our languages and then prohibit the use of them?

Be careful about associating things with traditions and so on. Allah knows and we know not. Of knowledge we have only been given a little, and furthermore, we have many genuine blessings and prohibitions within Islam, you shouldn't seek more.

Consider, part of the injunction when we are Muslims is to spread the message so that whom He wills may heed. How could this happen without also learning how to communicate?

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom

I just want to make a point to our Muslim sisters and brothers out there. This thread started with a non-Muslim who respects their Muslim neighbours and wants to do something nice for them. Let us be aware that we want to give others a good impression of Islam and not have them tuning out! How this got to birthdays and Mother's Day, etc., is just beyond me. Also, in the Qur'an, and may Allah forgive me if I have misunderstood, the "People of the Book" are Jews, Christians and Muslims alike and true Jews following Abraham and Moses, Christians following the real message of prophet Jesus are not "Kafir" or "non-believers". Subhan'Allah, Islam is still the fastest growing religion in the world although we Muslims do such a lousy job of bringing people to Islam. Alhamdulillah, Allah protects his deen. With the revelation of the Qur'an, things that were eventually to be forbidden were revealed in stages. E.g. alcohol.... early revelations indicated not to consume alcohol before performing salat, then by the end of the complete revelation, alcohol was forbidden completely. Same approach went for slavery, etc. Let us be mindful of this. Allah knows best what is in our hearts.

Asalamu alaikum, Yes I agree we have to let people know the truth about islam and make sure they are not left with untrue statements and ideas about islam. thats how it ended up being about birthdays etc. the statement you make about us doing a lousy job....Our job is only to convey the truth and it is Allahs will whether or not someone embraces islam. But I only now realise that there are brothers in this post and I thought i was speaking to a sister i do not believe in intermingling of the sexes so i will no longer post here and I apolagise.

Suhaila1

~~~~~~
Hi, are you muslim. Just so you know it is haram to celebrate birthdays

uestion:
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Attending a feast for a child’s birthday and eating that food

Question:
Muslims in this region are celebrating naming ceremony for babies and doing maulid or salatun naaria and the give food to the guests. some of us say that we will not come to eat that food because the whole gathering is a bid'a but we participate in that gathering so that the people dont get offended. but the people who r conducting this celebration r saying we hav made food only for the guest and has no relevance to maulid. and also they force us to eat. is it allowed to eat if they force us and they asking daleel bas to why we r refusing to eat. pls explain with proof in hadeeth that what we r doing is correct or not as we r not able to give concrete evidence

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Celebrating birthdays is an innovation in the religion of Allaah, and it is not permissible to do this. It is not permissible to eat the food that has been prepared for this occasion. Their claim that the food for the birthday celebration is for the guests does not make it excusable to eat it. Hospitality is subject to its own rulings, and matters are judged according to the intentions behind them. It is very clear that the food is being prepared for this innovated occasion, and eating this food is one of the things that helps them to persist in doing this. It is a kind of co-operation in sin and transgression. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al Birr and At Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

With regard to al-salaah al-naariyah, this is one of the innovated Sufi prayers; it is not permissible to attend those gatherings or to take part in them.

ISLAM Q AND A

All the quotes you used don't seem to be saying birthdays are haram to me. Maybe I'm just being blind, but can you explain how they say that celebrating the day Allah put us on Earth is a sin?

You're making it seem as if you believe that birthdays have any religious value to kuffars. From my observation, they don't. They are simply an excuse to have a celebration.

Also, your argument that the Quran and the prophet never said celebrating birthdays is okay, doesn't really have any validity to it, because there are a lot of things that the Quran and the prophet did not specifically support. It doesn't expicitly say that you can name your pet fish Lord Nikomedes the Unpleasant, but even so, I sure don't think that my naming my fish that name is haram.

And yes, I am a Muslim (although I have no idea how I was somehow seen as otherwise).