(Muslim) Woman Convicted of Keeping a Slave

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum.

"Ms Mruke's plight was discovered when she went to see a doctor for an examination of her varicose veins. During her three-year ordeal, Ms Mruke's parents died and her daughter was married, yet she was granted no contact with her family."

BBC Link below:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12710481

A former hospital director has been ordered to pay £25,000 to an African woman she kept as a slave in London.

Mwanahamisi Mruke, 47, was flown from Tanzania in 2006 and made to work 18-hour days for Saeeda Khan, 68, at her home in Harrow, north-west London.

Khan was convicted of trafficking a person into the UK for exploitation.
The judge at Southwark Crown Court, who also gave her a suspended nine-month prison term, said she was guilty of "the most appalling greed".
Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC said Khan had told "a pack of lies" during her trial by saying her victim, whom he described as "naive and illiterate", was treated as part of the family.

Sentencing her he said: "Your own behaviour was callous and greedy.

"You could easily have afforded to pay her a reasonable sum by way of wages. You chose to give her virtually nothing."

He told Khan that her age, the fact she has two adult disabled children and was in poor health had prevented him from passing an immediate custodial sentence.

During the trial jurors heard Miss Mruke was denied her passport and liberty and endured the ordeal to support her daughter through college in Africa.
Ms Mruke said she could "never forgive" her captor for her four-year ordeal.
"I felt like a fool, I was treated like a slave," Ms Mruke said.
After bringing her into the country from Tanzania, Khan initially gave her an allowance of £10 a month to work around the clock at her beck and call, the court heard.

'Never paid'

Within a year she stopped paying her altogether.
"Even the money I was promised, I was never paid. I feel terrible about this," Ms Mruke said.
"I was hoping I would receive a salary and improve my life. But my hopes were dashed, my strength was reduced and I became unwell."
Ms Mruke was brought to the UK after getting a job at a hospital in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania which Khan owned.
Khan told her that she would work six hours a day and that her daughter in Tanzania would be paid 120,000 Tanzanian shillings a month, equivalent to £50.

But the court heard how Khan fed her two slices of bread a day and ordered her around by ringing a bell she kept in her bedroom.

Varicose veins
Ms Mruke was banned from leaving the house and never learned English because the family watched Pakistani TV.
Beginning work at 0600 GMT, she would often not be allowed to rest before midnight as she cleaned, gardened, cooked meals and accompanied Khan's disabled son on walks.

Ms Mruke told the court that sometimes she did not sleep due to the long hours she had to work, doing "all the housework, cooking, cleaning, inside and out".

"She didn't attack me physically. It was just the words and the way she was treating me.

"I feel that justice should be passed and others should learn from this. I feel terrible about her."

Ms Mruke's plight was discovered when she went to see a doctor for an examination of her varicose veins.
During her three-year ordeal, Ms Mruke's parents died and her daughter was married, yet she was granted no contact with her family.

Ms Mruke is now pursuing a civil claim against Khan.

The culprit might go to jail for 9 months, along with the 25,000 pound. At least there is some form of justice.

For all I have against British foreign policy, it's good to see that at least certain basic human rights matters such as this, do not get ignored in their own country. It's sad a Muslim is did such things, and it's an embarassment but also a lesson for all of us.

Assalam alaikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

What can I say. People are stupid. Alhumdulllila the matter came into the light.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

What one muslim does gets blown out of proportions sometimes, but what thousands of kuffars does never come into light!!!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Yeah you can tell this ----- happened in the EU. If this had happened in the US she'd be in prison for at least 15 years.

alf2

Islam is a way of life

What one muslim does gets blown out of proportions sometimes, but what thousands of kuffars does never come into light!!!

Dont act like normal human trafficking and slavery never come to light. This is a HUGE issue worldwide and sadly, most human slaves (usually female sex slaves) are never given justice.

dna1987

Muslim Guy

This case is definitely NOT blown out of proportion. Not one tiny bit. If we cry wolf every single time, it takes away our credibility when something really does get taken out of proportion.

Assalam alaikum.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

With islam not some times things get blown out of proportion and also spiced up with lies but most of the time and almost all the time. In fact the whole story is changed to something opposite. I am a victim myself.

abu'muhammad

:wasalam:

I wish that such events do never happen and It is sad and pathetic to see sometimes the names of muslims involved in such cases. The lesson of good behaviour needs to be re-learnt here and hope that people put into practice a good and humanly behaviour towards their slaves.

abu'muhammad

Brother MuhammadMaksudul, I totally agree to what you’re saying and inshaAllaah justice has to prevail if there are such cases. However the cases and events that are clean and clear needs to be addressed, but yes obviously after thorough verifications. Justice prevails for all and I’m sorry to see and humbly say that I don’t like when some muslims do not accept the responsibilities of their actions and loop it elsewhere. It goes beyond my learning from my parents and teachers –both from deen and dunya. this thread is just one reminder, only if the case is hundred percent right without any adulteration.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
NOTE:

I would just like to point out that it this is definitely NOT blown out of proportion, because the fact that the criminal is a Muslim was NOT mentioned in the news article once! It was just the person's name (Sadeeda Khan).

I was the one that added Muslim in the thread title, because she is a Musilm and this story is relevant to us. Hopefully, it's something we can learn from.