Muslims Drinking beer can lead to caning in Malaysia

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
Tuesday, 13 January 2009

KUALA LUMPUR (AlArabiya.net, AFP)

A Malaysian religious court has sentenced a man and a woman to six strokes of the cane for drinking alcohol, in a rare decision in the multicultural nation, a newspaper report said Tuesday.

Mohamad Nasir Mohamad, a 38-year-old father of four, and 22-year-old waitress Noorazah Baharuddin, were separately found drinking beer in pubs last year in central Pahang state.

A third accused, part-time model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old Singaporean permanent resident, has also been accused of the same offence and faces a decision on May 4.

The New Straits Times said the Sharia High Court in Pahang handed down the sentences Monday and fined the pair 5,000 ringgit ($1,400) each.

"The caning is to shame them and should be done at any of the prisons in the country," judge Abdul Rahman Yunus was quoted as saying by the daily in his ruling.

He refrained from giving them jail terms as he believed that would bring difficulty to their families, the paper said.

He said the sentence was intended as a deterrent to other Muslims, who make up the majority of the population in Malaysia.

The New Straits Times said this was the second time such a sentence has been handed down, after the same judge sentenced two Muslim brothers to six strokes of the cane in 2005 when they were caught drinking.

However, the caning has yet to be carried out as the brothers are appealing the decision.

While Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country, with large Indian and Chinese minorities, alcohol is widely available and Muslims are rarely punished for consuming it.

Salahuddin Ayub, a lawmaker and youth chief of the opposition Islamic party PAS said he "agreed" with the court ruling.

"The ruling only concerns Muslims and it does not affect the non-Muslims. It is to remind the Muslims not to drink," he told AFP.

Malaysia has a two-track legal system, with the civil courts operating alongside state-based Sharia courts in which only Muslims can be tried for religious offences.

In the civil courts, caning is carried out with a long, thick length of rattan which breaks open the skin and leaves lasting scars.

The judge said in the New Straits Times report that the cane to be used on the convicted pair would be no more than 1.22 meters (four feet) long and 1.25 centimeters (half an inch) thick, and that the offenders would be allowed to wear their clothes and the punishment should not break their skin.

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
:salam2:

Malaysia is taking Shariah law seriously and impose a punishment for all Muslim who are caught drinking publicly.
I say it is a good example for more Muslim countries to follow especially in Dubai. Of course it only applies to Muslim & non-Muslim have their own freedom.

:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Can non-muslims drink alcohol in malaysia?

Yes, we recognise their right. Malaysia is a very sensitive multi-racial country. We have been working hard to keep our national unity intact though sometime we do have minor clashes but overall we are very tolerant multi-racial and multi-religious society. Our politician here hotly debating about implementing full Islamic syariah law for moslem where non-moslem will have a choice whether they prefer syariah law or civil law.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
its time they crackdown on those nightclubs and brothels also!.....drinking beer is usual in malaysia

Beer is allowed for non-muslim but it is not for muslim. Though there maybe muslim drinking beer but if caught they will face the music.

Nevertheless, I can't be proud yet because Islamic code of law is not fully implemented yet due to various obstacles.

We first need to educate the non-muslim for them to understand why we need Islamic law and that we will not force the law onto them. At this point, why we want non-muslim cooperation too as we want to be transparent to them so they will understand and also extend cooperation where possible to us to enforce the law.

Though the govt is majority muslim but we give a lot of space to non-muslim in the govt including in policy making.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I will say "Allahu akbar," if they punished them 40 lashes. Umar bin Khattab Radhiyallahu 'anhu even did 80 times, which was more than what Rasulullah had instructed.

They used a palm branch without the skin.

And on the 4th time of drinking(eventhough not drunk), the Daulah Islamiyyah could kill them.

Those sellers of Khamr and everyone connect to it are in the curse of Allahu Subhanahu wa Ta'ala. It is only diseases and pain which this earth Khamr produce.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

The 40 lashes from the islamic sharia is probably as painful as 6 strokes ofthe cane. Just want to let people know , do not be fooled by the numbers.

But i agree with Abdul Musair

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i think it's good that they do it. what's funny is that here in america they'll say that this punishment is cruel, yet they'll spank their children for spilling juice on their carpets.

in america the statistics about deaths that were caused due to drugs and alcohol are staggering.
:wasalam: