muslims in non-muslim countries

aburaeid

salaal,

How do you feel living in a non-muslim countries? We here in the Philippines are being surrounded by ocean of christians. Do you find it hard too to live in this kind of situation? Discrimination, called as terrorists and never-ending insults are parts of our daily existence.

aburaeid

correction please, its salaam not salaal. sorry!

I stand corrected, I mean SALAAM not SALAAL. sorry brothers & sisters.

islamisthesolution

salaam 3lykum

salaal,

How do you feel living in a non-muslim countries? We here in the Philippines are being surrounded by ocean of christians. Do you find it hard too to live in this kind of situation? Discrimination, called as terrorists and never-ending insults are parts of our daily existence.

dear brother rasulallah (puh) was dealing wth the christians and jews so i guess you have to do the same.
i am living in a muslim country alhamdullilah but i still deal with ppl with other religion so you have to be nice to them even if they treat you bad
salaam 3lykum:shymuslima1:

fada_all

wa alikom salam wa rahmato allah

don't worry dear brother the patience is the key of the paradise .u have to resist and live freely with those people nowmatter how the way they treat u u shoul tret them in a very nice way to show them some of our chacteristics as muslims ... be sure that allah swt is seeing u and he is swt always with us...

allah with u

wa salam alikom

ur sis

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
salaal,

:salam2:

Dear brother. I may not be in your situation but I can feel your concern. My country is a multi racial society. Muslim are about 25% of the population.

Most important is to stay in your community & have faith in Allah.

Or you can consider moving to Malaysia or Singapore! hehe...

:wasalam:

Roby Rahman

Asalamualaikum

Dear brothers and sisters. I live in USA and Alhamdulilah I am able to practice and live by Islam without any problems. :wasalam:

Aquila09

Salam brother,
I live in the UK and although it is difficult sometimes to be living amongst so many non muslims (mostly agnostics and atheist), you can always comfort yourself with thinking that you are spreading Islam through debating, arguing, talking, whatever. Also I think that for me, living in a non-muslim country and also going to a non-muslim school has helped me have a stronger faith because you see what the lives of a lot of non-muslims are like in Britain simply because sometimes you can really see how people are falling apart due to the lack of the strict morals that we muslims have. At our school, alot of non-muslims ask questions about Islam (i wish they would do so without starting of with "No offence yeah...") and I like the fact that I and my muslims friends are there to actually teach some people about Islam. A bit off topic sorry :hijabi:

Wassalam
Aquila09

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
salams All , if at all possible it is better to live in a muslim country , especily if you have children, the infleuence of a non muslim enviroment is bad for them and little by little the muslims seen to dissolve into the community, I have seen this in UK with muslim families there. This I found fron Q & A islam website:

Can Muslims settle in kaafir countries for the sake of a better life?
I live in a western country, and I can practice my religion without much difficulty, praise be to Allaah. I have seen on your site some ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which forbid Muslims to settle in kaafir lands or to live among the kuffaar. I am now confused about whether to go back to my country or to stay in this country, knowing that if I go back to my country, I will encounter hardship and persecution because of my adherence to the laws of Allaah, and I will not be able to find freedom of worship such as I enjoy in the country where I live now.
I hope that you can answer my question and explain the ruling on my staying in this country, especially since the Muslim countries are no longer very different from others with regard to adherence to the laws of Islam.

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle is that it is not permissible for the Muslim to settle among the mushrikeen. This is indicated by evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and on the basis of common sense.

In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): “In what (condition) were you?” They reply: “We were weak and oppressed on the earth.” They (angels) say: “Was not the earth of Allaah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?” Such men will find their abode in Hell — what an evil destination!”

[al-Nisa’ 4:97]

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2645; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

With regard to common sense, the Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen cannot carry out many of the rituals and visible acts of worship of Islam, in addition to the fact that he is exposing himself to temptation because of the permissiveness in those countries that is protected by their laws. The Muslim should not expose himself to temptations and trials.

This is if we look at the evidence of the Qur’aan and Sunnah without paying attention to what is really happening in Muslim countries and kaafir countries. But if we look at what is really happening in Muslim countries, we cannot agree with the questioner when he says, “Especially since the Muslim countries are no longer very different from others with regard to adherence to the laws of Islam.” But this generalization is not correct. The Muslim countries are not all the same with regard to how closely or otherwise they adhere to the laws of Islam. Rather they vary in that, and even within one country, regions and cities may vary in that regard.

Similarly the kaafir countries are not all the same with regard to their permissiveness and moral laxity; they also vary in that regard.

So given that the Muslim countries vary, as do the kaafir countries, and given that the Muslim cannot go to a Muslim state and settle there because of visa and strict settlement laws etc, and that a Muslim may not be able to practice his religion in some Muslim countries, when he may be able to do so in whole or at least in part in some kaafir countries – for all these reasons it is impossible to issue a general ruling that will cover all countries and all individuals. Rather we should say that each Muslim has his own unique set of circumstances and his own ruling that applies to him, and each person is accountable for himself. If he is able to practise his religion in the Muslim country in which he lives more than he can in a kaafir country, then it is not permissible for him to settle in a kaafir country. But if it is the other way round, then it is permissible for him to settle in a kaafir country, subject to the condition that he is confident that he can resist the desires and temptations to be found there by taking the precautionary measures prescribed in sharee’ah.

There follow some comments of the scholars which support what we have said above:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about this matter and he said: This is one of the most difficult issues nowadays because countries vary, as stated above, and because for some Muslims, if they go back to their homelands they will be persecuted for their religion whereas they are safe from that in the kaafir countries. But if we say that it is haraam for them to settle among the kuffaar, then where is the Islamic state that will accept them and allow them to settle there?! This is the meaning of what he said, may Allaah have mercy on him.

Zakariya al-Ansaari al-Shaafa’i said in his book Asna al-Mataalib (4/207):

It is obligatory to migrate from the kaafir lands to the Muslim lands for those who are able to do that, if they are unable to practise their religion openly.

Ibn al-‘Arabi al-Maaliki said: Hijrah (migration) means leaving dar al-harb [non-Muslim lands] and going to dar al-islam [Muslim lands]. This was obligatory at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and remains so after his time for those who fear for their lives. From Nayl al-Awtaar, 8/33, by al-Shawkaani.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said concerning the hadeeth, “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen”:

This is to be understood as referring to those who are not safe to practise their religion there. Fath al-Baari, commentary on hadeeth no. 2825

In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (20/206) it says:

Dar al-harb refers to every place in which the rule of kufr prevails. One of the rulings that have to do with dar al-harb is hijrah (migration). With regard to migration from dar al-harb, the fuqaha’ divided people into three categories:

(a) Those who are obliged to migrate: they are those who are able to migrate and who cannot practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is obligatory upon a female even if she does not have a mahram, if she thinks she will be safe when travelling, or if the risk of travelling is less than the risk of staying in dar al-harb…

(b) Those who are not obliged to migrate: they are those who are unable to do so, either because of sickness or because they are forced to stay in the kaafir land, or those who are weak, such as woman and children, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except the weak ones among men, women and children who cannot devise a plan, nor are they able to direct their way”

[al-Nisa’ 4:98]

(c) Those for whom migration is mustahabb but not obligatory: they include those who are able to migrate but are also able to practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is mustahabb for such a person to migrate so that he can participate in jihad and increase the numbers of the Muslims.

In a fatwa issued by the Standing Committee (12/50): One may also migrate from a mushrik land to another mushrik land that is less evil and where there is less danger to the Muslim, as some of the Muslims migrated from Makkah at the Prophet’s command to Abyssinia.

We ask Allaah to set the Muslims’ affairs straight.

Islam Q&A

Islam!!yay

I live in a non-muslim country, and so far noone was discriminatory against me. Just so you know that are laws in the United States that can punish someone If they made a racist comment against you. If someone called me a terrorist or verbally harassed me with Islamic stereotype jokes in school. I can report this to the main office and they'll suspend the guy . I think there was a case once where you know sikhs where their turbans. Well I think there this sikh somewhere and someone like burned his turban and this kid was I think expelled.

sister purified

i spent my major part of life in saudi before i came to india and now i study at a college run by christians..so basically even im surrounded by christians all d time..but its k (though nothing like the way it was in saudi-it was almost perfect there!)cos people are generally tolerant.they dont mind you having your own beleif and ways..and yes they do ask questions like why u wearing hijab?(the most asked one) or "du support alqaeda"?and not t mention after the mumbai attacks..etc..and usually they r quite stubborn about not accepting our views..like whatever i try tellin my collegues they still think wearing hijab is an oppression..and go on to ask if im forced to do it from home or something..but its all ok cos everythin in life doesnt come easy..and you just gotta have patience in dealin wd things..and trust in Allah

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
salams All , if at all possible it is better to live in a muslim country , especily if you have children, the infleuence of a non muslim enviroment is bad for them and little by little the muslims seen to dissolve into the community, I have seen this in UK with muslim families there. This I found fron Q & A islam website:

Can Muslims settle in kaafir countries for the sake of a better life?
I live in a western country, and I can practice my religion without much difficulty, praise be to Allaah. I have seen on your site some ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which forbid Muslims to settle in kaafir lands or to live among the kuffaar. I am now confused about whether to go back to my country or to stay in this country, knowing that if I go back to my country, I will encounter hardship and persecution because of my adherence to the laws of Allaah, and I will not be able to find freedom of worship such as I enjoy in the country where I live now.
I hope that you can answer my question and explain the ruling on my staying in this country, especially since the Muslim countries are no longer very different from others with regard to adherence to the laws of Islam.

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle is that it is not permissible for the Muslim to settle among the mushrikeen. This is indicated by evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and on the basis of common sense.

In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): “In what (condition) were you?” They reply: “We were weak and oppressed on the earth.” They (angels) say: “Was not the earth of Allaah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?” Such men will find their abode in Hell — what an evil destination!”

[al-Nisa’ 4:97]

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2645; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

With regard to common sense, the Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen cannot carry out many of the rituals and visible acts of worship of Islam, in addition to the fact that he is exposing himself to temptation because of the permissiveness in those countries that is protected by their laws. The Muslim should not expose himself to temptations and trials.

This is if we look at the evidence of the Qur’aan and Sunnah without paying attention to what is really happening in Muslim countries and kaafir countries. But if we look at what is really happening in Muslim countries, we cannot agree with the questioner when he says, “Especially since the Muslim countries are no longer very different from others with regard to adherence to the laws of Islam.” But this generalization is not correct. The Muslim countries are not all the same with regard to how closely or otherwise they adhere to the laws of Islam. Rather they vary in that, and even within one country, regions and cities may vary in that regard.

Similarly the kaafir countries are not all the same with regard to their permissiveness and moral laxity; they also vary in that regard.

So given that the Muslim countries vary, as do the kaafir countries, and given that the Muslim cannot go to a Muslim state and settle there because of visa and strict settlement laws etc, and that a Muslim may not be able to practice his religion in some Muslim countries, when he may be able to do so in whole or at least in part in some kaafir countries – for all these reasons it is impossible to issue a general ruling that will cover all countries and all individuals. Rather we should say that each Muslim has his own unique set of circumstances and his own ruling that applies to him, and each person is accountable for himself. If he is able to practise his religion in the Muslim country in which he lives more than he can in a kaafir country, then it is not permissible for him to settle in a kaafir country. But if it is the other way round, then it is permissible for him to settle in a kaafir country, subject to the condition that he is confident that he can resist the desires and temptations to be found there by taking the precautionary measures prescribed in sharee’ah.

There follow some comments of the scholars which support what we have said above:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about this matter and he said: This is one of the most difficult issues nowadays because countries vary, as stated above, and because for some Muslims, if they go back to their homelands they will be persecuted for their religion whereas they are safe from that in the kaafir countries. But if we say that it is haraam for them to settle among the kuffaar, then where is the Islamic state that will accept them and allow them to settle there?! This is the meaning of what he said, may Allaah have mercy on him.

Zakariya al-Ansaari al-Shaafa’i said in his book Asna al-Mataalib (4/207):

It is obligatory to migrate from the kaafir lands to the Muslim lands for those who are able to do that, if they are unable to practise their religion openly.

Ibn al-‘Arabi al-Maaliki said: Hijrah (migration) means leaving dar al-harb [non-Muslim lands] and going to dar al-islam [Muslim lands]. This was obligatory at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and remains so after his time for those who fear for their lives. From Nayl al-Awtaar, 8/33, by al-Shawkaani.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said concerning the hadeeth, “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen”:

This is to be understood as referring to those who are not safe to practise their religion there. Fath al-Baari, commentary on hadeeth no. 2825

In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (20/206) it says:

Dar al-harb refers to every place in which the rule of kufr prevails. One of the rulings that have to do with dar al-harb is hijrah (migration). With regard to migration from dar al-harb, the fuqaha’ divided people into three categories:

(a) Those who are obliged to migrate: they are those who are able to migrate and who cannot practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is obligatory upon a female even if she does not have a mahram, if she thinks she will be safe when travelling, or if the risk of travelling is less than the risk of staying in dar al-harb…

(b) Those who are not obliged to migrate: they are those who are unable to do so, either because of sickness or because they are forced to stay in the kaafir land, or those who are weak, such as woman and children, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except the weak ones among men, women and children who cannot devise a plan, nor are they able to direct their way”

[al-Nisa’ 4:98]

(c) Those for whom migration is mustahabb but not obligatory: they include those who are able to migrate but are also able to practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is mustahabb for such a person to migrate so that he can participate in jihad and increase the numbers of the Muslims.

In a fatwa issued by the Standing Committee (12/50): One may also migrate from a mushrik land to another mushrik land that is less evil and where there is less danger to the Muslim, as some of the Muslims migrated from Makkah at the Prophet’s command to Abyssinia.

We ask Allaah to set the Muslims’ affairs straight.

Islam Q&A

Masha Allah jazaki Allah fardoos sister um mustafa MAY Allah enter you jannah and bless you ameeeeeeeen for what you wrote i just was about to say the same subhan Allah may Allah enter you jannah you and all muslims ameeeeeen:hijabi:

fatimabilals

Assalamualaikum
I hav also spent 5 yrs of my life in Saudi Arabia(7 to 12 yrs). I do miss the Azaan as there, Azaan used to com in chorus from about 2 or 3 masjids together n i used to feel just wonderful, mashallah.
When i came back to india., the first tension in my parents and my own mind was about hijaab as the islamic schools in bombay are too expensive and moreover, there is no islamic school in my area, not even a girls' school. Another problem was that of shalwar(trousers). For girls, in almost all schools here, there are frocks uptil a little below the knee.
But Allah helped me out of this. On coming here, there was a girl in my society who used to go to this school wearing shalwar. There was a ray of hope in my parents' n my own mind. The very next day, we went to dis school n she gave me d permission for both hijaab n shalwar. I m proud dat by seein me, 3-4 girls of my class hav also started wearing shalwar, although i m the only one with hijaab
Another good thing of my school is they treat all muslims at par with the hindus. Indian history is full of controversies about Emperor Aurangzeb. While teaching about his era, strict warnings are given to all non-muslim students to not even dare to tease d muslims regarding him.
One more thing. Sometimes we have extra lectures n they go beyond one o'clock. On Friday, the muslim boys, if they seek permission, are permitted to go home early for the Jumu'ah prayer.
Because of all these instances, I really don't feel too bad. Sometimes my hindu friends ask me why we celebrate eid, what is muharram. Not only my friends, even my teachers.
But then, they do ask me y u wear hijaab n then i don't hav a reply. Because if i say that it is for us muslims to wear this, they ask why the other muslim girls r not wearing it. So then, i feel really uncomfortable.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

here in america, we are allowed to practice islam freely, but i still think it would be better for muslims to be in muslim lands. there are many great muslims living in non muslim lands, but i think that they would make the muslim lands greater because there is a great weakness in the muslim lands right now. i find it better to be surrounded by muslims than being surrounded by non muslims. it helps our iman and causes us to grow stronger in our deen.

i have basically been planning for some time to leave to a muslim land once i get caught up paying my debts. i didn't want to leave and have my family that's here be harassed. i've always felt that if a muslim isn't bogged down by anything to keep him from returning to an islamic land, then he or she should go. the one great challenge though, is that there are many muslim majority countries but very few " islamic " countries, so it's like where do we go? and we may eventually just end up staying put in the US or France or something.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
salaal,

well..umm ...i feel like staying in a country in which there are only and only non-believers..then it could be a bit tough for muslims ...but it would also be easy for us to stay there..and why am i saying you that it would be tough for us to stay because you know,all over the country muslims have a bad name because of this terrorist so, they might not be close and be kind to us and why i said that it could be easy because look, in every country there comes a colony of Muslims,Jews,Christians,Hindus and allah so if we stay in muslims colony then ya! it wi;;; be easier to us...inshallah