My eyes are starting to hurt

ShyHijabi

Asalaam Aleikum,

Dear brothers and sisters, once again I am seeing the purposeful use of poor grammar and spelling. Why do people do this? Do you think it makes you look "cool" when you come across as barely literate or uneducated? Remember that we have many non-Muslims coming here and reading these posts, do you want them thinking we are uneducated and immature? We also have people from non-English speaking countries who most likely can't comprehend when someone writes "Some1, 4ever, 4rom, dis, dat, etc.,"

Remember that Rasool (peace be upon him) spoke in the most eloquent language and though he was unlettered he never used slang or trash-speak. Can you imagine him using "dis" and "dat" and "de" in place of the proper words? I come from a part of America where people speak in street-slang and I can promise you, no one would go to them to learn anything.

It is getting to the point where I don't even read the posts when it is peppered with this nonsense. It's not cool to purposely make yourself appear like a half literate street urchin, it's pathetic. Your parents have tried very hard to make sure you've received a decent education and you basically throw it away when purposely writing in such a manner. Even worse, if you continue to practice this habit you may end up forgetting how to write in a comprehensible manner. Now I am not talking about using a dictionary and being a spelling nazi but just stop being so lazy when typing and try your best to look like you have a rudimentary understanding of the written language.

I am sorry if I've brought offense but I really enjoy this board and want people to come here to learn about Islam. I recommend this site to anyone who wants to learn or expand their knowledge. It really makes the ummah look ignorant when people are writing in barely comprehensible slang. Please remember that you are the representation of our community when you post. Thank you for giving me the consideration and time to read this post.

Wa alekum salaam

rightpath_357

Aw- Salam sis.

Firstly, people (I know that i do :D) type this way because we want to type quickly, because we have ideas in our mind to help people, and want to get it all down before we forget. And also, when I'm busy (with other people as well) I still come onto this site, but I'm in a hurry, but that doesn't stop me from helping people out on this website.

But I see this your way too. It doesn't seem very serious when someone is telling us hadeeth and important deeds that we could do when they're using "cuz' dis" etc. But again sis, some people are in hurry- or it's a habit for them to abreviate their words.

btw- sis, when i saw the title "my eyes are starting to hurt" i was freaking out thinking that ur going blind or something:lol:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Perhaps we can enforce something regarding language use...it is truly embarrassing to see replies on an *Islamic* forum which read like a *phone text* sent from one *buddy* to *another*

We won't ask people to hang a dictionary around their necks or be spelling nazis (like you said)..but require correct grammar and spelling *basics*

Inshallah the other mods will swing by this thread and look into this..perhaps even brainstorm something behind the scenes to help with the problem :)

Baraka Allaho feeki ukhti!

:wasalam:

D.Ahmed

Believer
Asalaam Aleikum,

Dear brothers and sisters, once again I am seeing the purposeful use of poor grammar and spelling. Why do people do this? Do you think it makes you look "cool" when you come across as barely literate or uneducated? Remember that we have many non-Muslims coming here and reading these posts, do you want them thinking we are uneducated and immature? We also have people from non-English speaking countries who most likely can't comprehend when someone writes "Some1, 4ever, 4rom, dis, dat, etc.,"

Remember that Rasool (peace be upon him) spoke in the most eloquent language and though he was unlettered he never used slang or trash-speak. Can you imagine him using "dis" and "dat" and "de" in place of the proper words? I come from a part of America where people speak in street-slang and I can promise you, no one would go to them to learn anything.

It is getting to the point where I don't even read the posts when it is peppered with this nonsense. It's not cool to purposely make yourself appear like a half literate street urchin, it's pathetic. Your parents have tried very hard to make sure you've received a decent education and you basically throw it away when purposely writing in such a manner. Even worse, if you continue to practice this habit you may end up forgetting how to write in a comprehensible manner. Now I am not talking about using a dictionary and being a spelling nazi but just stop being so lazy when typing and try your best to look like you have a rudimentary understanding of the written language.

I am sorry if I've brought offense but I really enjoy this board and want people to come here to learn about Islam. I recommend this site to anyone who wants to learn or expand their knowledge. It really makes the ummah look ignorant when people are writing in barely comprehensible slang. Please remember that you are the representation of our community when you post. Thank you for giving me the consideration and time to read this post.

Wa alekum salaam

Salaam Sister

I've been saying this a couple of times in the past too as I know you have too.
It's this new short txt message generation we live in like you say alot thinking its "cool" but it aint it's Whack!! or other's are probably too lazy to type properly it does not set a good example to those who come new to the site it looks bad!
Moderators I suggest you do a "Sticky thread" about members using proper grammer please take note.

Why do people wear baggy pants, shave their heads, pierce their noses, paint their fingernails purple and drive ugly trucks, knowing how distasteful all of it is? They blindly follow what others do.

A Muslim is not a blind follower. A Muslim is a benevolent leader.

i actually wear baggy pants cause i consider them loose and easy unlike jeans or levis pants.......

its not like i type short for( i dint rite 4) fun but cause its quick and the main thing is u get wat(i missed the H intentionally cause even without the H u knew wat it would mean) the word or the sentence means.......

and people dont really care how u rite/spell unless they dont understand wat ur saying............ or mayb i jz dont do......

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

DanyalSAC

Why do people...shave their heads..

Well, I for one buzz my head very short (not with a razor though) because I like to wear a kufi and my head is huge and most kufi out there are made for apple-sized heads, so in order for me to find one that fits I have to have NO hair on :p

But to the main subject of this thread: I totally 100% agree. If I open a thread and all I see is "lolz how r u d00d" speak I close it. Won't even try.

One of my biggest peeves is "salaamz". I prefer to be greeted properly. That's just me :)

ShyHijabi

i actually wear baggy pants cause i consider them loose and easy unlike jeans or levis pants.......

its not like i type short for( i dint rite 4) fun but cause its quick and the main thing is u get wat(i missed the H intentionally cause even without the H u knew wat it would mean) the word or the sentence means.......

and people dont really care how u rite/spell unless they dont understand wat ur saying............ or mayb i jz dont do......

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

There are readers here who are not native English speakers/writers and most likely would not be able to understand what you typed. So instead of clearing up a misconception about Islam it just makes the sentence harder to understand.

People DO care how you type and write, I have had two non-Muslims visit this board and tell me they were NOT impressed due to the poor grammar and conspiracy minded thinking. I can't blame them, why would I invest more energy decoding some "text speak" trying to learn about Islam? Why would I want to listen to someone who obviously doesn't know how to properly communicate or even educated in the most basic parts of the subject matter? (I've had to correct blantant superstitions regarding physical illnesses on this board and was called a suspicious-minded person for my troubles) It is noticed and it does reflect poorly upon us.

ShyHijabi

Oh and I think the "baggy pants" comment was about the youth of today wearing pants waaaaay too large and letting the waist band hang below their buttock line. I seriously want to take a belt and whallop those fools. Since when did wearing your pants down around your butt become attractive? They look like mentally disabled people who don't have the sense to pull up their own drawers.

I once yelled out a car window, "Hey your pants are falling down, in case you didn't notice!" *snicker* At least the kid yanked them up...temporarily at least. But I will save that rant for another day.

eminbey

信得過…是我的名字
after all could we call these praxis civilization or culture?......
What do you think?

revert2007

Love Fishing
well I was in another forum and when they use this kind of grammer,the mod always warn them..i do admitt i myself adapt to this short hand but i guess whenever i post a thread i do it in a formal way...but i just use short hand when it comes to post...i personally do it because i have my son with me and i just need to type asap...anyway we will try to do it in a better way next time..InshaAllah...and please pardon me with the cappital letters..i only use cappital letter for the word Allah.. :)

superbro

Brother of Islam
Very true. Some are not that bad, but some are just out of order.

I cant write shorthand. Even if i try I automatically start writing properly again.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
There are readers here who are not native English speakers/writers and most likely would not be able to understand what you typed. So instead of clearing up a misconception about Islam it just makes the sentence harder to understand.

People DO care how you type and write, I have had two non-Muslims visit this board and tell me they were NOT impressed due to the poor grammar and conspiracy minded thinking. I can't blame them, why would I invest more energy decoding some "text speak" trying to learn about Islam? Why would I want to listen to someone who obviously doesn't know how to properly communicate or even educated in the most basic parts of the subject matter? (I've had to correct blantant superstitions regarding physical illnesses on this board and was called a suspicious-minded person for my troubles) It is noticed and it does reflect poorly upon us.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Quoted for emphasis.

Baarak Allaahu feeki. I've seen this issue being raised a few times by you. Could you please pm the mods some instances (posts and threads) and examples so that we can actually enforce something about this. I've noticed that recently, TTI has been treated as some kind of chill-out zone, maybe this is what leads to this behavior. I'm not liking it one bit, we need to keep our selves busy with knowledge, action and da`wah, not idle talk and play (there are dedicated forums for that). Since the opportunity has risen, and I hate going off topic, but please brothers and sisters, fear Allaah with how you treat and talk to one another... Not just with this text language, but I've noticed that free mixing has also risen here!? Be careful with what you type, and as ShyHijabi has mentioned, how you type it, especially to members of the other gender, as they are certainly NOT your buddies with whom you should be "talkin like dis".

Also, and I know I've said this before, but please, brothers should NOT be sending smileys to sisters, and vice-versa.

Oh and I think the "baggy pants" comment was about the youth of today wearing pants waaaaay too large and letting the waist band hang below their buttock line. I seriously want to take a belt and whallop those fools. Since when did wearing your pants down around your butt become attractive? They look like mentally disabled people who don't have the sense to pull up their own drawers.

I once yelled out a car window, "Hey your pants are falling down, in case you didn't notice!" *snicker* At least the kid yanked them up...temporarily at least. But I will save that rant for another day.

For the record, the disgusting behavior emanated from the homosexuals of the prison systems, who wore their pants in this way, to give a certain, obvious message. How the Muslims will achieve success, imitating the people of Loot of today, I have no idea? As for the baggy pants that are warn correctly, then of course, this is closer to the sunnah than anything. Most of the fuqahaa' are of the opinion that prayer shouldn't be performed except in baggy pants unless, they are covered with a qamees or the likes. Yet, some went to the extent of saying that fitted trousers are haraam without being covered by a long enough qamees.

As a result, and all praise is due to Allaah, many have revived the wearing of the baggy salwar, which is worn at waist level, but hangs low to the knees, as to keep the 'awrah covered properly. The practice is wide spread in the religious communities of Cairo.

Was-salaam

sarahlou

Why do people wear baggy pants, shave their heads, pierce their noses, paint their fingernails purple and drive ugly trucks, knowing how distasteful all of it is? They blindly follow what others do.

A Muslim is not a blind follower. A Muslim is a benevolent leader.

What is wrong with having a pierced nose?:hijabi:

sarahlou

Asalaam Aleikum,

Wa alekum salaam

Wa' Alaikum Salam Sister, Thank you very much for the reminder. I don't remember if i used this text language on TTI, but I will try to remember Insha Allah not to use it.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum slam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

I agree with sister Shyhijabi.

We are here, writing for Allah's sake. People put so much effort in writing for others, perhaps to fill out a form, or at university exams. This is much more important then that, if you think about it.

We are here to do our best to make sure people know the beauty of Islam. InshaAllah

assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
I totally agree, and what's really sad is when people do not know when to use text lingo and when to write professionally. My teachers used to complain about kids writing essays, yes essays with "idk, msg," and various other text lingo and actually turn it in. Such a shame. I personally used to write + for the word "and" and got away with it on my ap essays :)lol:) but now that i'm in college i'm smart enough to know it won't fly in college. Thank you for the much needed reminder sister!!