My Introduction/Convert Story

miss06yg

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

As-salamu alaykum, I started my religious journey in 2008 after trying to figure out which religion was right for me with reading many books on different religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism and of course Islam. After reading a few memoirs and women's biographies about Islam and their own journeys rediscovering their own faith, I became more intrigued. The summer of 2009 I visited Malaysia for one month which got me even more interested in Islam, so once I got back to NY that was it, I decided to go and talk to the girls from my universities MSA and ask for more information and how I can learn more about Islam besides the books I already owned. I became really good friends with one of the sisters and she introduced me to the other girls and I was able to make friends and learn more about the religion. As time grew on and I learned more I became more and more interested and believed I finally found the right path (the religion I was looking for).

Before I decided to take Shahada I was very very nervous, but afterwards I felt great. The days that followed that I began taking Quran Arabic classes in the local Masjid to learn as much as I could. I couldn't attend every week, but I did my best to go as often as I could. Islam is a beautiful religion and I wish more of my friends could understand why I converted. Many are still very ignorant, however I've met awesome Muslim friends as well who helped me 100%.

It's a step by step process for me to make some changes in my life: I stopped eating pork and drinking alcohol. I am trying my best to do more good deeds and stay on the right path. I have been reading the Quran everyday and making Dua and memorizing Surah's as best as I can.

My family has no idea and i cannot ever tell them. At least not for a long time. They are very anti-muslim and do not understand nor want to understand. My family used to threaten me for making muslim friends and would tell me they will cut me out of their lives and disown me and more. Inshallah in time i hope it will be okay, but now after 3 years they still have no idea. My mother told me if she ever saw me with a hijab on she would shoot me. So I have to be careful from time to time. I hope one day she can understand me and respect my decision. She gets angry at me for disagreeing with Christianity. She tells me I can be any religion I want except a Muslim or a Jew... I will make Dua for her as well and pray for my mother because I do love her with all my heart.

I am very happy to be a Muslim!

-Hadiyaah

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
wa alaykum assalaaam dear sister,

welcome to the forum. it was nice reading your story, mashallah you have come a long way. May Allah make it easy on you inshallah. i'm curious as to why are you in china right now?

reamy

Welcome dear sister ,
Machallah sister,very proud of you. May Allah soften your mother's heart when you tell her ameen inchaallah:).

HaroonM

Assalamu Alaikum

Welcome to the forum sister and many congratulations on your reversion. May Allah (swt) guide you always.

miss06yg

I am here because I am trying to improve my fluency in Chinese. This is my 2nd time living here long term, and 5th time in the country. I majored in Chinese language in University, so that's why. For the past few months however, life has been rough. InshAllah, I'll find my way..

Dakoish Muslim

لا إله إلا الله
wow.. your mother would shoot you? if I was you I would go to the door and say: "I became a Muslim,mommy! I hope you are happy with my decision! *run away".

miss06yg

haha, oh no she is a very scary women. I am just praying that one day she will accept that Islam is not bad religion... i hope she can realize this one day..

miss06yg

Thank you! nice to meet you.
I am still learning my arabic terms, so sorry if I don't use them right, but i am trying :) Insh'Allah in time i will get it.
I'm learning everything alone and online, since I only have 1 Muslim friend in my city but he doesn't practice much.

Dakoish Muslim

لا إله إلا الله
haha, oh no she is a very scary women. I am just praying that one day she will accept that Islam is not bad religion... i hope she can realize this one day..

I just hope I can correct you, but, you wrote womEnn rather then womAN. insha'Allah she will accept Islam.

brmm

Assalam Alaikom sister Miss06yg,
Few thing were interesting for me and thats why I decided to post my comments.
- If your mother own a gun, and she hate Islam a lot then I think you should disconnect with her physically and keep a phone/internet contact (this is a serious issue).
- If your mom see Youtube, maybe you can send her clips for American converted Muslims and scholars like Yusuf Estes.
- Just be careful about having a (HE) friend from any faith.
Inshallah you will do good in your life.
BRMM

ktobah

Salam Alaykum sister miss06yg;

I hope you are fine and all your family members.

I just want to ask about China and if you know any university, which has a lot of muslims studying on it ?

I am going there inshaa Allah and I don't know anything about the place.

Jazakum Allahu Khayran.

Wa Salam Alaykum.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

My family has no idea and i cannot ever tell them. At least not for a long time. They are very anti-muslim and do not understand nor want to understand. My family used to threaten me for making muslim friends and would tell me they will cut me out of their lives and disown me and more. Inshallah in time i hope it will be okay, but now after 3 years they still have no idea. My mother told me if she ever saw me with a hijab on she would shoot me. So I have to be careful from time to time. I hope one day she can understand me and respect my decision. She gets angry at me for disagreeing with Christianity. She tells me I can be any religion I want except a Muslim or a Jew... I will make Dua for her as well and pray for my mother because I do love her with all my heart.

I am very happy to be a Muslim!

-Hadiyaah
Assalam-o-alikum Sister,

Welcome to Islam and to TTI.
Your story is very interesting. It really amazes me that many parents in the west wouldn't mind if their children become a Hindu or a Budhist, but they are violently against them becoming a Muslim. They wouldn't mind if their children worship a cow or a monkey but they are dead against them worshiping the creator of the heavens and the earth, the One True God. Go figure !:confused::rolleyes:

I will make Dua InshaAllah that they get guidance from Allah (SWT). But I would suggest that you do not lose hope. You need to find out a way to tell them, because if they die in this state of disbelief then their hereafter will not be pleasent. So you need to find a way to inform them. As one brother suggested try sending them emails about Islam. Maybe this will soften their hearts.

One other thing you can try is that give/send your mom a Quran and say to her:
"Prove it to me that Quran is wrong and Bible is right and I will come to you". For the sake of children, most parents will do things which they will not do for any one else. So perhaps because of this your mother will start reading Quran and I am sure when she will compare Quran with Bible, she will choose the Quran to be the true word of God Almighty.

Wassalam.

Wanryoku Sugoi

Need to find my Muslim Queen <3
I wouldn't recommend even bothering to giver her mom a Qur'an. If her life is being threatened, then there is no room for discussion. There's a time for talk, and there's a time for action.

Sister, this is my advice: Get a job (if you don't have one already) and save up enough money to get your own place/move out. You are apparently head-strong and able to take care of yourself already, or at least I'm assuming that since you travel all around the world. More important than that, it is the Sunnah (way of the Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h) for a woman to have a husband or travel with a mahram (her blood-related brother, uncle, or father) while traveling. It would be much easier to avoid this fitnah (trial/tribulation) if you can show your mom and your family "see, I have a Muslim husband who loves me and respects my decisions". You're not a kid anymore and it doesn't matter how old they are, what they accomplished, their opinion, their heritage, what position they have at their job, their education, or even that they gave birth to you. They have to respect you as a HUMAN BEING for your decisions and what you CHOOSE to believe. They have no right to tell you what religion you can follow. There were plenty of sahaba (companions of the prophet) who went through very similar experiences and dealt with parents who gave them troubles because they were Muslim. Even our great Prophet Muhammad P.B.U.H had uncles that would curse at him and even go to war with him (Abu Sufyan before he became Muslim).

But don't try to annoy them and don't rub it in their faces. Even if you're dealing with very difficult parents or stressful situations, it is HARAM to be in despair of Allah's mercy. Everyone goes through a test and sister, this is no joke, you MUST respect your parents. However, if your iman (faith) is in jeopardy then you disobey the creation and obey the creator.

I'm not saying fight or argue with your parents/family, simply save up enough money to get away and join a muslim community. You said it yourself: Your life is in DANGER! Allah tests the believers because it's easy to say "I believe" but actions speak louder than words. Allah is Ar-Rahman and Ar-Raheem. He is merciful to ALL creatures but he is even more merciful to the thankful, obedient believers and he is always remembering them when they remember him and pray to him without committing shirk (associating partners with Allah).

May Allah preserve your faith and help you in your journey. Always make duwa sister, always make duwa and don't lose hope. Don't worry, Insha Allah everything will be okay. :D

malcolm-x.jpg

MalcolmX-PathosMathos.jpg

Life is test and we are graded at the end. We turn in our exams when we die and all we can do is hope and pray for the best. As long as you never betray Allah and his commands, he will NEVER let your efforts be wasted. And that is a PROMISE he makes to ALL who obey him. He is the true KING of this universe that HE created:

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Allah will roll up the heavens on the Day of Resurrection, then He will hold them in His Right Hand and will say, ‘I am the King. Where are the tyrants? Where are the arrogant ones?’” [Sahih Muslim]

tumblr_l200kinxtz1qb8uuw.gif

^Last one is from Mortal Kombat 3, sue me :p

icadams

Welcome to TTI. I am sure that you will learn a lot here, and hopefully there will come a time when you can tell your family without fear or persecution. Until that time, be diligent in your practice. Allah will reward those who persevere in the faith.