My Mom wants me to shave my beard!

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

I hope everyone's doing well. As you may have well heard in the news recently, a recent attempted attack on the US Federal Bank was foiled by the FBI and several individuals were apprehended. The FBI has begun cracking down on people they believe may have been cahoots with the bomber(s) and in fact one person at my local masjid claims his nephew was one of the people that were picked up by the FBI. The bomber(s) were all of Bangladeshi descent and guess what my parents are . . . ?

Anyway, my mother is in absolute fear of my life because I fit the general appearance of the men that were apprehended, age and all (the only difference is that I don't consider attempting to kill unsuspecting people in an otherwise peaceful place as a good way to spend my weekday afternoon, but that's an issue for another day). She's scared that the FBI will pick me up, too (for some paranoid reason, I don't know what). She immediately suggested that I shave my not-quite-there-yet beard. To that I staunchly refused!

I asked her (my exact words), "Should I fear the FBI or should I fear Allah [SWT]?" To that she replied, "Of course, Allah!" According to her, this is a matter of Sunnah vs. Fardh. It is a Sunnah to follow the example of the Prophet (PBUH) and grow a beard. No question or doubt about that. However, according to her, I have look out for my life and try to stay alive (a Fardh). The worst part is that I just spent weeks convincing her to let me grow a beard and what I have on my face now is barely two weeks old (hey it's still a beard!), and I don't want to shave it off!

Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to disrespect my mother or put my life in unnecessary danger. But at the same time, I don't want to disrespect the Prophet (PBUH) by shaving my beard.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

I hope everyone's doing well. As you may have well heard in the news recently, a recent attempted attack on the US Federal Bank was foiled by the FBI and several individuals were apprehended. The FBI has begun cracking down on people they believe may have been cahoots with the bomber(s) and in fact one person at my local masjid claims his nephew was one of the people that were picked up by the FBI. The bomber(s) were all of Bangladeshi descent and guess what my parents are . . . ?

Anyway, my mother is in absolute fear of my life because I fit the general appearance of the men that were apprehended, age and all (the only difference is that I don't consider attempting to kill unsuspecting people in an otherwise peaceful place as a good way to spend my weekday afternoon, but that's an issue for another day). She's scared that the FBI will pick me up, too (for some paranoid reason, I don't know what). She immediately suggested that I shave my not-quite-there-yet beard. To that I staunchly refused!

I asked her (my exact words), "Should I fear the FBI or should I fear Allah [SWT]?" To that she replied, "Of course, Allah!" According to her, this is a matter of Sunnah vs. Fardh. It is a Sunnah to follow the example of the Prophet (PBUH) and grow a beard. No question or doubt about that. However, according to her, I have look out for my life and try to stay alive (a Fardh). The worst part is that I just spent weeks convincing her to let me grow a beard and what I have on my face now is barely two weeks old (hey it's still a beard!), and I don't want to shave it off!

Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to disrespect my mother or put my life in unnecessary danger. But at the same time, I don't want to disrespect the Prophet (PBUH) by shaving my beard.

:wasalam:

Before we even get into if the beard is fardh or sunna, you should know that there are many Muslims who dress nothing like Muslims and are picked up by FBI solely because they have a Muslim name. And the other thing, if it is the will of Allah to test you with that kind of test--imprisonment and torture like many of our Muslim brothers all over the world are going through, then you will go through it with or without your beard. So I think your mother's anxiety about your beard is just the shaytan putting unnecessary fear into her heart. You and her both should fear Allah and leave your beard alone.

A little story: I had a friend who dressed just like any non-Muslim/American woman, meaning she has no hijab, no long garments, not modest at all, and while traveling she was "randomly selected" to be searched. She couldn't even fly with her luggage because they told her they needed more searching to do. After she came home she had to wait another day to receive her stuff, subhanalaah! And for what? because her last name is Muhammad. Go figure.

My whole point is this: it really doesn't matter how you look, when Allah wills to test you, you cannot escape from that test no matter how big or small. So you might as well go through life's tests and trials while obeying Allah, fearing Him and Him alone.

May Allah protect our brothers and sisters in Islam. Allahuma Amin.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:wasalam: akhee alhamdulillah I am well hope the same for you insha'Allah.
I saw the picture of a Bangladeshi who was accused,he was clean shaven.
They want to terrorise us into submission by following their even then they would never be pleased with us,what we can aim for is Allah's pleasure though.
So,my beloved brother,explain this to your mother with love and mercy and speak good words to her.