NAIL POLISH!!!

_muslima

:confused::confused::confused:

Salaam,

I have just been told recently that nail polish makes wudu invalid because the water cannot reach the nails. So with this being said, it is not the nail polish itself that is haram, but I really think it's purposeless to keep removing and applying nail polish all day. That is just kind of ridiculous to me.

So here's my question....when you make wudu and put on socks and hijab, your next wudu can still be valid with you running water over the hijab and socks, seeing as though what is underneath is already clean. So why wouldn't this be the same with your nails? If I am in a state of wudu and I put on nail polish, wouldn't my next wudu still be valid seeing as though my nails are clean underneath?

Last note, no where in the Holy Qu'ran does it say anything about nail polish, seeing that it wasn't around back then. So I really don't know. I just want others opinions to figure this whole thing out. thanks. :) Allah knows best.

ShyHijabi

A woman was away from the city, and did not know that the nail polish must be removed to make wudu’ and pray. When she knew she must remove it, she tried to find a nail varnish remover to use but she could not find it. She could not go to the city to buy it either. She was making ablution and praying with it on for one week. What is the ruling on this?.

Praise be to Allaah.

One of the conditions of tahaarah (purification) being valid is that the water must touch the skin. If there is any barrier such as grease, paint, wax or glue that prevents water reaching the skin, then the tahaarah is not valid and prayers offered in that case are not valid.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him): “If you find water, then let it touch your skin, for that is good.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (332); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Imam al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is on him any mastic or anything thick that will prevent the water from reaching the skin, his washing of that part for wudoo’ is not valid, unless he removes it or removes enough so that he knows that there is no barrier to the water touching the skin. End quote.

Al-Umm (1/44).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is wax, dough, henna and the like on one of his limbs, which prevents water from reaching any part of it, then his tahaarah is not valid, whether the amount is large or small. If there are traces of henna and its colour left on the hand, without there being any solid material left, or elsewhere, or traces of liquid grease whereby water flows over the limb but does not stay there, his tahaarah is valid. End quote.

Al-Majmoo’ (1/529).

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (5/218):

If the colour is impermeable, then wudoo’ is not valid unless it is removed before doing wudoo’. If it is not impermeable, then wudoo’ is valid, as is the case with henna. End quote.

Hence this woman should have tried to find something to remove this nail polish, even if she had to go far away to find a place that sold it. She could also have removed it by using a strong kitchen cleaning agent or by rubbing it with a cloth dampened with liquid fuel, and so on.

We do not think that this woman has any excuse for praying with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish. Ignorance may mean that she is free of sin but it does not make the prayer valid.

She has to repeat the prayers that she offered with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish.

We ask Allaah to forgive us and her.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/103738/nail%20polish

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:!If isn't there in the Quran something about using nail polish,so if you like to put it on your nails?I read that if we put the nail pulish on the nails,preyer will be invalid,because the water of Wudhu doesn't touch under the nail:nail polish is for these who like to take care of themselves and to be always beauty,but during the preyer we must be pure inside ourselves and I maybe think that preying with polish nail on,it could be a way to turn the sight on our nails and not to the preyer itself.:ma:

stargazer

Clear Skies!
On the face of it the two activity seem same. As the socks too does not allow water to reach the skin just like the nail polish does. But the fact is that we do both of them for different reasons. Nail polish is for beauty purposes. we cannot equate such things with our human minds. We pray five times a day. five prayers but each of them has different of number of raka'at still Maghrib prayer with three raka'ats is counted as one same as I'sha with four. Why cannot each of them have same number of rak'ats afterall they are called prayers. But there is always wisdom behind it. We have alreeady seen the ruling regarding the matter.

aminasarguroh

we should take it out at the time of namaz coz the nail are not clean and we should see to it that we do not put haram nail polish coz its made of pork:blackhijab:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

most of us cannot understand each and every aspect of Islamic rules. but we hear and obey to earn Allah's pleasure and jannah.

we have our scholars to explain the matters clearly. you are right that Quran does not say anything about nail polish but it says to wash hands. and if you wear nail polish, you cant wash nails which are part of hands.

Quran do not mention about prohibition of silk and gold for men also. Quran also do not mention that laughing in salah breaks salah. thats why hadiths are an important part of Islam.

ShyHijabi

we should take it out at the time of namaz coz the nail are not clean and we should see to it that we do not put haram nail polish coz its made of pork:blackhijab:

This is incorrect, nail polish is not haram and we should not say things we are not sure of. Wearing nail polish is permissible but if we break wudu then it must be removed before we do wudu. It also is not made from pork, I have a degree in chemistry so I am fairly versed on the chemical make up of nail polish.

fatimaflowers333

Assalamu Alaykum

This is a very interesting subject. I have heard it many times before and many different opinions. I do think it is something that we should not declare haram or halal ourselves. I would take this question to the Imam at the mosque you attend and then follow the advise. I know that we are in doubt about something it is better to stay away from it.

I don't think nailpolish is hard to give up or worth taking the chance of a prayer not being accepted. Go deep in heart and think if it is something worth the rewards of salah. May Allah(swt) guide you.

Salam Alaykum

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah

Sister fatimaflowers333, I just wanted to inquire as to what other opinions you've read about this? All the sources I have come across say the exact same thing - that since the water doesn't reach the nails due to the nature of nail polish, it has to be removed for the validity of wudu'. There hasnt been any difference I've come across for this alhamdulillah, and for those who would differ, what are their sources?

I think the fatwa above is a good reference for those who are confused, as it has the explanations as well as what was stated by different scholars, which we can clearly see linked with the situation of nail polish.

But you are definitely right sister in saying that nothing is worth prayer not being accepted.

May Allaah guide all of us. Ameen!

wasalam

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
interesting discussion!!
i have one question about the length of the nails of both of the hands??
any aalim or scholar here to reply??
wasalam.

stargazer

Clear Skies!
interesting discussion!!
i have one question about the length of the nails of both of the hands??
any aalim or scholar here to reply??
wasalam.
Letting the fingernails grow is something that goes against the sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him). He said,

“From the acts of nature are five: circumcision, removing pubic hairs, trimming the mustache, cutting the nails and plucking the hair from under the armpits.”

:wasalam: