Name change HARAAM??!!?

Sister Faisa

Asalamu alaykum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatu

I was talking to one of my fellow sister and she said that you are not supposed to change your last name to a a Muslim name and that it's even questioned whether one is supposed to change your name when you convert...
That it's some ways it could be considered haraam!

Now she suggest I change my name back from Faisa to Madalina. Do I have to, like, does she have legitamacy? Or is it just mere personal opinion.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa alaikumussalaam warahmatullaahi wabarakatuhu,

Are you changing your last name due to marriage (i.e. taking your husband's last name)?

Question( 4362 )

Woman taking her husband’s surname after marriage
i was just browsing this site and I came across ur answer to the question 2537 which deals with changing surnames of womens.. as u said it is haraam... can u plz gimme a refrence from quran on that or a hadith if possilbe..?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that what is meant in the question is a woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married. This is haraam and is not allowed in sharee’ah, because it is not permissible for anyone to claim to belong to anyone other than his or her father. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5]. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed the one who claims to belong to someone other than his father.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad and others). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/en/pda/ref/islamqa/4362

As for changing your first name to a Muslim one,

As for the question raised at the end of your letter regarding changing her name, the answer is: if the name of the person has a forbidden meaning, like the name of an idol or one of their deities or a name that means worshipping other than Allah, such as Abdul-Maseeh (worship per of Jesus the messiah) or Abdul-Hussain (worshipper of Hussain) then it is mandatory to change it. However, if its meaning is permissable and not objectionable, e.g. if it means one of the colors such as red or green or a vocation like carpenter or baker, then it is OK and it is not obligatory to change it. However, if changing the name in official documents would cause the person much distress or harm, then it suffices to change it amongst his family and acquaintances.

For the full fatwa http://islamqa.com/en/pda/ref/islamqa/122

inshaa'Allaah you do not need to change Faisa back to your original name.

Farah786

Asalamualykum Warah Ma Tullahi Wa barakahtuhu
Dear sister you do not need to change your name and it is NOT haraam.
Hope this helps :)

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
:salam2:

You do not have to change your first name unless it has some bad meaning, like john = toilet. If you still want to, you can change your first name. The last name cannot be changed. The last name shows your lineage and changing it would mean you are lying about who your father and it is not allowed to change your land name regardless of being a convert or getting married. The kuffars take the name of their husband because woman at one time was considered a property in their society so it is only natural that the property be named after it's new owner.

In Islam, your name Faisa xyz means Faisa bint xyz or faisa daughter of xyz. So one cannot change their last name for any reason.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
John means God is generous not toilet.

john (j
obreve.gif
n)n. Slang
A toilet.
2. A man who is a prostitute's customer.

john - a room or building equipped with one or more toilets

lav, lavatory, privy, toilet, bathroom, can
head - (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
public convenience, public lavatory, public toilet, restroom, toilet facility, wash room, comfort station, convenience - a toilet that is available to the public
room - an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling; "the rooms were very small but they had a nice view"
commode, crapper, potty, pot, throne, toilet, stool, can - a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination
washroom - a lavatory (particularly a lavatory in a public place)
loo, W.C., water closet, closet - a toilet in Britain

john - a prostitute's customer
whoremaster, whoremonger, trick
customer, client - someone who pays for goods or services

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/John

JenGiove

john (j
obreve.gif
n)n. Slang
A toilet.
2. A man who is a prostitute's customer.

john - a room or building equipped with one or more toilets

lav, lavatory, privy, toilet, bathroom, can
head - (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
public convenience, public lavatory, public toilet, restroom, toilet facility, wash room, comfort station, convenience - a toilet that is available to the public
room - an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling; "the rooms were very small but they had a nice view"
commode, crapper, potty, pot, throne, toilet, stool, can - a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination
washroom - a lavatory (particularly a lavatory in a public place)
loo, W.C., water closet, closet - a toilet in Britain

john - a prostitute's customer
whoremaster, whoremonger, trick
customer, client - someone who pays for goods or services

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/John

That's all slang terms....nicknames of a sort for the toilet, but the original meaning of the personal name "John" means "God is Generous"....

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
That's all slang terms....nicknames of a sort for the toilet, but the original meaning of the personal name "John" means "God is Generous"....

True , but the names meaning change over time. It's sad but true that these meanings are now associated with the name John as well. Anyways, going back to the topic....

GBintheUK

True , but the names meaning change over time. It's sad but true that these meanings are now associated with the name John as well. Anyways, going back to the topic....

I've never heard of the name John used for a toilet, is it a middle eastern thing?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I've never heard of the name John used for a toilet, is it a middle eastern thing?

No actually it's an American thing. :girl3:
Mostly VERY unclassy people use it...Like our version of Chavs :) Otherwise we say "restroom" or "bathroom" or "lavatory"

ALSO:
I changed my name in 2009 before reverting to Islam....OH NO!
Since then i've read so many different rulings on it!

Aroosak

:wasalam:

It is right what it has said before that non-muslim women change their last name to the one of their husbands so as to signify property or so it used to be before. That was the tradition and where this idea comes from. In Islam a woman is given her own identity, even though she has to respect and obey her husband in all that is halal she still comes from somewhere, from a family and that cannot be taken away from her. A name carries more than just what it is. Islam respects all areas that make our identity alhamdulillah be it in women or in men.