Nation of Islam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
For those of you who DO NOT KNOW what Nation of Islam is, it's a religion who took the terms Islam and Muslim, to describe them. Yet, they follow a false prophet.

They also believe that only dark-skinned people will see Jannah.
Muslim like me, fair skinned, are creations of the Devil. :/

Furthermore, Nation of Islam is considered a hate group in America, but is still an active religion. One of the most famous people from this group is of course Malcom X, he joined the Nation of Islam but when on HAJJ to Mecca, prayed, ate and had contact with Muslims of all races. After Hajj, he converted to the true Islam, alhamdulilah. After that, he was shot by a fellow "Muslim" in the Nation of Islam.

Have you ever met someone part of the Nation of Islam?
Have you ever went to a Masjid/Mosque associated with the Nation of Islam?
Are any of you from the Nation of Islam?

This subject interests me greatly, because its one of the first interactions I had with Islam (studying Malcom X and history of NoI in America). Ironically, my parents fear of Islam comes from THIS group, not from the media stereotypes of terrorist from the Middle East.​

arzafar

yep ive heard of this group but their attire, plae of worship and style of speaking seemed to resemble christianity. my impression is that NOI = christinaity for blacks

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The NOI was a politcal movement. It was a movement to seek independence, both economical and social, from conventional society. In the end it was false. Historically, it was a reaction to Jim Crow Laws and the racism in the US.
Although I recall in its heyday the NOI did a lot of social good they wanted to remain separate from Muslims.
If you listen to the lectures and sermons they are heavily comparative to Christianity. Every other word is Jesus said.
Minister Farakan, prays five times a day, but he does not encourage his followers to pray five times a day. They fast but can drink water and eat fruit. And the internal power structure of the NOI was a mess.

The NOI is a skeleton of what it used to be. Farakan's son has been successful in building dialogue with Muslims.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalaam walaikum,

The NOI was a politcal movement. It was a movement to seek independence, both economical and social, from conventional society. In the end it was false. Historically, it was a reaction to Jim Crow Laws and the racism in the US.
Although I recall in its heyday the NOI did a lot of social good they wanted to remain separate from Muslims.
If you listen to the lectures and sermons they are heavily comparative to Christianity. Every other word is Jesus said.
Minister Farakan, prays five times a day, but he does not encourage his followers to pray five times a day. They fast but can drink water and eat fruit. And the internal power structure of the NOI was a mess.

The NOI is a skeleton of what it used to be. Farakan's son has been successful in building dialogue with Muslims.

I am 21, I know it stemmed up after the times of segregation in America and the Jim Crow Laws. I think even though it may have been OKAY then, its really not now. Since America has come a long way from segregation. Of course we still have racism but its really not so bad.

It is still a practicing religion. I cant imagine myself walking into one of their Masjid's for prayer :shymuslima1:

yep ive heard of this group but their attire, plae of worship and style of speaking seemed to resemble christianity. my impression is that NOI = christinaity for blacks

I wish they wouldnt use Islamic terms.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
There's a black Muslim revert (all of his videos are titled in such a way) on youtube that has quite a few videos that asks simple questions to those in the Nation of Islam that they will not be able to answer. (http://www.youtube.com/user/jaylyrikal). The only thing with Islam in the NOI is in part of the title of the name, nothing more.
Assalam alaikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I do not even know how they pray. I never heard them refer to the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. The ideology is false.

The Nation of Islam got its start in the early 1900's. You need to go back and look up Marcus Garvey, a brillant and independent thinker. Out of the Carribean came a man named Fard. And the rest is history.

Islam came to the colonies with the slaves. They were forbidden to practice Islam. Some of the concepts of Islam remained.

For a simpleton like me..it makes no sense to say you are a Muslim and not follow what the Prophet of Allah gave us. That is like trying to make ice-cream without milk. It is not ice-cream.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam Alaikum

I've heard this this term just when I read the thread....
so no comment from my part...but its blasphamy....if thats true...

Jazakallahu Khair for sharing the info
wassalamu alaikum

Ashima33

Of course I do not agree with Nation of Islam, but there are some things I find interesting and very important to American History.

For anyone who doesn't know, Elijah Muhammad, was considered to be a prophet of NOI. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a co-founder, too? He was a man who lead MANY, but was also very corrupt and deceitful. I won't talk about all of the corrupt things he did... but I was very confused when I saw such respect is still given to him in the black community. Of course, I understood the respect given to Malcom X, but not Elijah Muhammad. I asked a friend about it and I thought he explained it very well... he stated that Elijah Muhammad helped black americans gain a sense of pride within their culture. He encouraged them to keep their hair the way it was, eat, dress, and act the ways of your culture and not try to conform to white america's standards of "acceptable." For so many years, and still today, minorities are given subliminal messages that they aren't acceptable for this reason and that reason... but they are acceptable as toys and puppets. For example, rap stars and sports players. If you go into the inner cities and speak to kids, one of the first things that comes out of their mouths when you ask, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" They say, "Rap star" or "Basketball Player." Not Lawyer or politician, because 1st of all they don't see a lot of non-white people in those positions, but they also aren't given the same opportunities. And it's sad because subconsciously... they know this.

So Elijah Muhammad was one of the first to come along and say "Enough." and to really have an impact on a large scale. He let them know it was okay to be angry at what has happened to black people, and gave them the avenue to turn things around.

Once again, while I don't agree with Elijah Muhammad and his corrupt ways... I think it's important to atleast recognize the contribution he made to black americans.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Wallace Fard Muhammad was the founder of the NOI. And we have to understand what Marcus Garvey was addressing.

The NOI did make significant contributions to America. Whereever there was a reprensentation of NOI members crime was reduced. They provided for activities in the ghettos. To a degree the NOI was very powerful.

I have listened to many lectures by Farakhan. He is a forecful speaker who will make you think..and still does.

They were saying do not chase the white mans dream. It is not the dream of Black Americans. They were direct in their words.

I hold respect for many of their programs..however they are not Muslim.

( on the lighter side of things..i place politicians and lawyers below prostitutes on the scale of things..a prostitute has to work hard to earn money...)

Abu Juwairiya

I have read almost every book written by Elijah Muhammad. This was while I was involved in a research project with another brother to show differences between Islam and the Nation.

His writings show a lack of education, little or no style, practically no rhythm, no flow between subjects and themes and a great deal of incoherence even within topics he seemed comfortable with.

While his 'prophecies' were largely general, he did provide some specific predictions that didn't materialise even in his own lifetime, while contradictions in his teachings and failure to place pragmatic implementation of strongly held beliefs played a stronger role in his decline.