Nationalism makes my blood boil.

jamilgame

Nationalism is at the core of our Ummahs crisis, it is a very well planned out plot the british and other nations made up to divide people, fair enough back then people loved there countries, but in the age of the internet, no one can say i couldn't find the truth.

Even here at turn2islam i've brothers and sisters go on about nationalism, I find it so sick, there are no imaginery borderlines between us, we are 1 people and 1 muslim, but there are some Muslims sorry not some that would be an understatement who still wave there flags.

These flags look like a 5 year old coloured them in, the moment i see someone waving there flag and their muslim, Allah knows how i feel, if someone were to curse me with the most evil names, it still wouldn't equal to what i feel when i see a fellow brother waving his flag.

We all talk about Ummahs unity, but we can't let go of our love for a piece of land that has a evil dictator. We all came from the same man and woman don't ever forget that.

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said:
"He will not enter Paradise in whose heart there is an atom's weight of pride."30

W'salam

happy 2 b muslim

:hijabi:100% agree am like that it funny coz me an my sister ALWAY AGRUE ABOUT THIS WITH her she waves the flag n every one in my family think i hate were am from Personal i couldnt care less that just me,,,salam alaykum

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam aleikum,

hmm, i don't quite agree with you on this, on what grounds can you say that basically being proud of where you come from, your flag, your country, your background... isn't 'compatible' with the Umma cohesion??! As long as you don't consider your background to be more important then your Islamic identity i can't see the problem.. now sister happy 2 b muslim, saying that i quote hate were am from i thinl is a bit harsh, especially since we come from the same background :( Anyway, yes, Islam is way more important than all that...

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
nationalism often hinders os in our islamic duties...I have seen people treat others badly because they are not from same nationality or don't let their daughters or sons marry someone because they are from some different nationality.

what matters is that we are ONE UMMAH, we are MUSLIMS! That is what matters!

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

nationalism often hinders os in our islamic duties...I have seen people treat others badly because they are not from same nationality or don't let their daughters or sons marry someone because they are from some different nationality.

what matters is that we are ONE UMMAH, we are MUSLIMS! That is what matters!

by him in whose hands my life is ,his makes me sooo sad
especially to see people on youtube cheering for their nations even in the comments forgeting that muslims are from everywhere .so many muslim lives are being lost in the name of nationalism[
COLOR="DarkRed"][/COLOR]

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Assalam aleikum,

being proud of where you come from, your flag, your country, your background... isn't 'compatible' with the Umma cohesion??!

NO its not exactly beause what does being proud of ur country mean?
that you accept the sovereignity of either a monarch,or as in a democracy the of the people themselves. that contradicts the very core our faith.the sovereignity belongs to Allah. its just so unfortunate that the system of khilafahhas been done away with . imagine being a muslim living under a mighty islamic rule ,as a muslim ,knowing that there is no difference b/w people on basis of their caste class creed color or nations.All are ONE UMMAH. unless we believe that- ALLAHS help will not be on our side..

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

What is nationalism?

na-tion-al-ism - Has three meanings...but its normally a mix of all three:

1. desire for political independence: the desire to achieve political independence, especially by a country under foreign control or by a people with a separate identity and culture but no state of their own

2. patriotism: proud loyalty and devotion to a nation

3. excessive devotion to nation: excessive or fanatical devotion to a nation and its interests, often associated with a belief that one country is superior to all others

Its a totally un-islamic concept.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
belogning to one's country is like belonging to one's family, noble and natural. The prophet (PBUH) used to make muhajiroon & ansar into different groups at the time of battle. This is so that they would compete in doing good (so Islam is the winner). This is a minor form of "nationalism".

Now of course Islam takes precedence over any other identity. Muslims are instructed to follow the truth even against their fathers, leave alone their countries.

In this time and age, I'd say if you work to make Islam stronger in YOUR country, then you have served both your religion and your country. Allah knows best.

happy 2 b muslim

sister i didnt say i hate where am from i said MY FAMILY THINK I DO BUT,,,i dont i said i couldnt care less where am from because what allah gives me i am happy with salam alaykum

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam alaikum Brother,

My very first post on this message board was the exact same kind as you have just written. I basically vented on how much I hated how many nationalistic people would use their pride and nationality as a means of looking down on other muslims or segregating themselves from the rest of them somehow. I also believed that our Ummah could never truly be united until this problem was somehow solved.

However, my definition of nationalism isn't as clear as I believe it should be as some people believe it is alright to have love for one's race, country, ethnicity, etc. but still be good muslims all the while. Therefore, if my judgment of this concept is clouded in any way, my argument would lack validity.

Despite this it is a clear cut fact that nationalism is prohibited by Islam and I think it is dangerous for anyone to say that the Prophet (PBUH) practiced nationalism. Here are the hadith I found regarding this:

It is
narrated by Abu Da'wud that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"He is not one us who calls for `Asabiyyah, (nationalism/tribalism) or who
fights for `Asabiyyah or who dies for `Asabiyyah."

And in another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (saaw) referring to
nationalism, racism, and patriotism said:

"Leave it, it is rotten." [Muslim and Bukhari] and in the Hadith recorded in
Mishkat al-Masabith, the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"He who calls for `Asabiyyah is as if he bit his father's genitals"

Also, the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"Undoubtedly Allah has removed from you the pride of arrogance of the age of
Jahilliyah (ignorance) and the glorification of ancestors. Now people are of
two kinds. Either believers who are aware or transgressors who do wrong. You
are all the children of Adam and Adam was made of clay. People should give
up their pride in nations because that is a coal from the coals of
Hell-fire. If they do not give this up Allah (swt) will consider them lower
than the lowly worm which pushes itself through Khara (dung)." [Abu Dawud
and Tirmidhi]

Some people claim that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) approved of nationalism
because during the migration to Madinah, he (saaw) said about Makkah with
tears in his (saaw) eyes,

"You are the most beloved land of Allah to me."

However, this saying has nothing to do with nationalism, and this can be
seen from the full saying which people often do not quote,

"You are the most beloved land of Allah to me because you are the most
beloved land of Allah to Allah."

InshAllah, the Ummah will one day be cleansed of this "impurity."

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
salam brother

of course ... nationalism used as a stick to beat religion or to create divisions and conflicts between muslims is a NO NO ...

What I meant that one's natural love for own country/town/city/family can be a force for good.

As I said ... in this time and age the best you can do (I believe) is to make Islam stronger in your own country. This will be for the good of your country and Islam at the same time.

I invite you to read the story of this companion who used his tribal links & influence (equivalent to nationality today) to serve the greater cause.

http://www.islamonline.com/news/print.php?newid=1013

Jazak Allah khairan

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:salam2:

I believe that being a muslim without islamic knowledge is the main problem that this Ummah is facing. At the same time, Nationalism can be seen and practiced both postively and negativly, but this Ummah is accepting anything without realizing who would benefit from it. (This isnt a choice, but a simple concept used particularly on muslims so that we imprison ourselves by ourselves, and hand ourselves to any new phenomena presented to us with our eyes closed. However, Nationalism is only one factor, which contains and create series factors in which led to various complications in which we are trying to address today.

For instance, the UK government, would like British Muslims to believe that they are British First rather than muslim. They simply had enough of muslims when been asked descripe yourself, and the answer is, ''I am Ahmed and I am Muslim, African, and British Citizen''. But they dont realize that Islam isnt an identity. Nationalism can help an individual to keep his/her roots from being affected by the western state's long term plans. How many nations forgotton where they came from, their religion. Now, they simply believe that they belong to a certain western state, and believed that they are Christians where in fact they were not.

In addition, People are forced in many occasions to become a Nationalist, by the ill treatment of some muslim states, (many occasions they were forced to do so, and their constituations where were established with the agreement of the west). You are not treated as muslim, they dont see you as muslim, and you are downgraded because where you came from. What would the reaction of the majority of muslim people would be?.

I believe that there are other main factors that could unite us closen the scope between us. If every muslim country keep its main language (if the main language isnt arabic), makes arabic langauge the second langauge of the state and an obligatory upon every muslim to learn arabic. If muslims wants to unite then some effort is required. We wouldnt realize that Nationalism is a major threat, but in fact we must tackle the main source which created those matters arise upon us, and open our eyes wide open and understand who is benefiting of our so called NATIONALISM (They couldnt divide us by religion, although a a major attempts were made and the losses remain visible, but Nationalism, Triblism, and Class division is one of the worst war being played by the west)..

English Proverb '' Be scared of a man of one book''.. (you & me)..

In my opinion every muslim must have Islamic Knowledge + must speak Arabic Language = The sleeping lions would wake up... Not only islam can unite us but we must have ONE langauge too.

Wassalamu Alykom..

jamilgame

Like the sister said above in UK they want us to say i am british first before muslim, now i am not being ignorant but living in London in a place where many people would say they are proud to be from if they had the chance, i don't i am proud to be only muslim sure i love the London people but i love my Muslims brothers and sisters much more.

I don't say I'm british, I'm a Londoner let me wave my flag, i say i am a muslim and thats all it should be cause if you start loving your country pride grows and ignorance then you soon realise you only feel pain when someone from your country or background is hurt, not for the rest of your other brothers and sisters.

I've seen this too much, not in London because i've seen Muslims have realised we need to stick togather and by Allah they are very active muslims, but in other countries, muslim countries when i turn on the TV all i see is them waving there flags, i'm like whats this i love them for being muslim, and they wave there flags in my face while i cry for them and would die for them, this annoyed me as i didn't feel loved by my brothers whom i care for so much, may allah forgive me for my ignorance.

Oem Soufiane

Nationalism is at the core of our Ummahs crisis, it is a very well planned out plot the british and other nations made up to divide people, fair enough back then people loved there countries, but in the age of the internet, no one can say i couldn't find the truth.

Even here at turn2islam i've brothers and sisters go on about nationalism, I find it so sick, there are no imaginery borderlines between us, we are 1 people and 1 muslim, but there are some Muslims sorry not some that would be an understatement who still wave there flags.

These flags look like a 5 year old coloured them in, the moment i see someone waving there flag and their muslim, Allah knows how i feel, if someone were to curse me with the most evil names, it still wouldn't equal to what i feel when i see a fellow brother waving his flag.

We all talk about Ummahs unity, but we can't let go of our love for a piece of land that has a evil dictator. We all came from the same man and woman don't ever forget that.

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said:
"He will not enter Paradise in whose heart there is an atom's weight of pride."30

W'salam

EXACTLY :jumpclap: UP!

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I think we are both coming from the same point. We differ on what's the best to do?

Living in today's world, the existence of countries/nationalism is just a fact of life, same as tribalism was on the time of the prophet. The prophet (PBUH) took advantage of that situation when it did not contradict with his mission and without compromising his message (IIRC, he was protected by his clan/family when he was in Mekka, including his uncle Abu Taleb who was not a muslim).

One has to apply Hikmah (wisdom), meaning doing what is best at the given time/place/circumstances. Perfect options are rarely available IMHO.

as for muslims in other countries waving flags ..etc. Since when TV samples are representative ? I'd argue they are actually ALWAYS reflecting the false picture.

jamilgame

I think we are both coming from the same point. We differ on what's the best to do?

Living in today's world, the existence of countries/nationalism is just a fact of life, same as tribalism was on the time of the prophet. The prophet (PBUH) took advantage of that situation when it did not contradict with his mission and without compromising his message (IIRC, he was protected by his clan/family when he was in Mekka, including his uncle Abu Taleb who was not a muslim).

One has to apply Hikmah (wisdom), meaning doing what is best at the given time/place/circumstances. Perfect options are rarely available IMHO.

as for muslims in other countries waving flags ..etc. Since when TV samples are representative ? I'd argue they are actually ALWAYS reflecting the false picture.
I do agree with your brother, except about, when does TV become representative, obviously media loves to get the little parts and hugely exaggerate it to make juicy headlines, but genuinely i've seen muslims countries go on about their countries love on tv and without, i'm not being steriotypical of a muslim who was born in a muslim country, but nearly 99% are like. They say they are muslim and they say the would fight for their country not for islam.

w'salam