Need some clarification - what is this exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
:salam2:
InshaAllah you are all in the best of health and emaan.

I am abit confused about something my local mosque is doing... actually ive always been confused about it and I have never been able to find any good information about it... here is my situation which I copied and pasted from another thread....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thread name: Shaab e Raat
I'm abit confused and inshaAllah some will guide and help me on this forum.

Shaab e raat.

When is it? i heard it was on friday so does that mean it is thursday night after midnight/friday morning?

If so, are we suppose to pray the nafl after midnight?

and i want to do this...

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaiyhi Wasallam) said, "Whosoever remained seated after Asr salaat, and before rising from his seating place recites eighty (80) times,

اللهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَى مُحَمَّدِنِ النَّبِيِّ الأُمِّيِّ وَعَلَى آلِهِ وَسَلِّمْ تَسْلِيْمًا

Allahuma Swalli a'la Muhamadin Nabiyil Ummiyi wa a'la Aalihi wa sallim taslimaa

'O Allah, shower salaat on Muhammad the unlettered Nabi and on his family and shower peace.'

his sins of eighty years are forgiven and the reward for the ibaadah (worship) for eighty years are written for him."

so does that mean asr on friday or thursday?

thank you.

also i tried reading up about shab e raat and i found a few resources that we shouldnt celebrate this because it is based on hadiths that aren't reliable. is this true?

also i am unable to fast on friday ...will i get punished?? i will still pray though.

I am in the same boat as this person.
InshaAllah someone can help me out here :)

:wasalam:

Live4thehereafte

brother the shab e baraat this is a bidah (innovation)
there is no proof from quran and sunnah and also reciting allahumasali 80 times (first time i heard about this) so if you have any evidence please provide
jazakallah khair.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaiyhi Wasallam) said, "Whosoever remained seated after Asr salaat, and before rising from his seating place recites eighty (80) times,

اللهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَى مُحَمَّدِنِ النَّبِيِّ الأُمِّيِّ وَعَلَى آلِهِ وَسَلِّمْ تَسْلِيْمًا

Allahuma Swalli a'la Muhamadin Nabiyil Ummiyi wa a'la Aalihi wa sallim taslimaa

'O Allah, shower salaat on Muhammad the unlettered Nabi and on his family and shower peace.'

his sins of eighty years are forgiven and the reward for the ibaadah (worship) for eighty years are written for him."
so does that mean asr on friday or thursday?

i think this is either weak or fabricated hadith. also it does not seems reasonable with Islamic principles.

and Allah knows best

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

As for innovating a prayer which is done regularly with a certain number of rak’ahs, with a certain recitation and at a certain time in congregation, like these prayers that are being asked about here – such as salaat al-raghaa’ib on the first Friday of Rajab, and halfway through Sha’baan, and the night of the twenty-seventh of Rajab, and so on – these are not prescribed in Islam, according to the consensus of the imams of Islam, as was stated by the reliable scholars. No one established such a thing but those who are ignorant and innovators. Things like this open the door to changing the laws and rituals of Islam and becoming like those who instituted things which Allaah has not ordained. End quote.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 2/239

Shaykh al-Islam was also asked about it and he said:

This prayer was not offered by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or by any of the Sahaabah or the Taabi’een or the imams of the Muslims. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not enjoin it and neither did any of the salaf or imams. They did not suggest that this night has any virtue for which it should be singled out. The hadeeth which is narrated concerning that from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is false and fabricated, according to scholarly consensus. Hence the scholars said that it is forbidden and not mustahabb. End quote.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 2/262

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

As for innovating a prayer which is done regularly with a certain number of rak’ahs, with a certain recitation and at a certain time in congregation, like these prayers that are being asked about here – such as salaat al-raghaa’ib on the first Friday of Rajab, and halfway through Sha’baan, and the night of the twenty-seventh of Rajab, and so on – these are not prescribed in Islam, according to the consensus of the imams of Islam, as was stated by the reliable scholars. No one established such a thing but those who are ignorant and innovators. Things like this open the door to changing the laws and rituals of Islam and becoming like those who instituted things which Allaah has not ordained. End quote.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 2/239

Shaykh al-Islam was also asked about it and he said:

This prayer was not offered by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or by any of the Sahaabah or the Taabi’een or the imams of the Muslims. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not enjoin it and neither did any of the salaf or imams. They did not suggest that this night has any virtue for which it should be singled out. The hadeeth which is narrated concerning that from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is false and fabricated, according to scholarly consensus. Hence the scholars said that it is forbidden and not mustahabb. End quote.

Al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 2/262

JazzakAllahu khair brother for clearing this matter, i was too in the same position as brother Ali and couldnt find much on it.
May Allah Ta'ala guide us all, ameen.
:wasalam:

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Assalamualaikum ok - let me just clarify it once more - this "night of blessing" doesnt exist? there is no solid evidence for it to be singled out????

If that is the case then - yay! I thought I was going crazy not be able to dig up any information about it... now how to inform my parents...

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Islam is easy but people make it hard. If it takes you a lot of effort to dig up information about a subject that is important to faith, it most likely is not there! The sources of Islamic knowledge are well defined and very finite: The Quran and the authentic Hadeeth. If you can't find it there, it's not there. It is a simple as that.

JazakAllah khair brother and everyone else who helped me out with this! May Allah subahnuwatala reward you for this good deed.ameen.

mufakkir

The Balanced Approach

Salaam 'Alaikum,

The event which the original poster (Ali) has enquired about is refered to as Laylatul Barat, which according to most people falls on the night preceding the 15th of Sha'ban. It is a very popular event amongst the muslims of the Indian Subcontinent and North Africa. Its also a very controversial event in that it has seemingly divided the Muslims into two camps: one wholeheartedly believes in the blessing and apparent sanctity of this night, while the other (Majority) holds that the blessedness of this night has no basis in Shair'ah, i.e. there are no textual proof from the Qur'an and Sunnah. However, i read a very good article some time ago, in which the writer presented what i thought was a very balanced argument to the debate.

He stated that it was sad to see many ignorant people engrossed in collective prayers and other forms of worship on this night, while there was absolutely no proof for it from the Shari'ah. And these people and there worship should rightly be condemned. However, it is also wrong for people to claim that this night (15th of Sha'ban) has not status, for there are many hadiths in support of the view that the night has some special significance.
Infact, Shaikh Albani (RahimahuAllah) has gone as far as to collect these hadiths and their chains and suggested that according to him, these ahadiths (some found in Al Hakim, Baihaqi, Ad-Daruqutni and in some classical works of other scholars) are authentic. He suggested therefore that the night does have some significance, but since we do not have any reports of how the Prophet (peace be upon him) or the Sahaabah worshipped during this night, we cannot single it out for collective worship. Rather, as individuals we may offer extra nawaafil prayers, do dhikr and read the Qur'an.

Many leaflets and books have been written condeming the worship that is done in the mosques during this night, but as the writer of the article said, it would be imbalanced to completely shun the significance of the night all together.

WaAllahu A'lam

was salaam

islam_best

Assalaamalaykum warahmatullahi wabrakathuu,

I live in India and Wallahi i find it sooooo saddd that many muslims living in the stae where i belong - Goa are soooo ignorant. The night of Isr'aa wa Mi'raaj many muslims and maulvis(thats what these so-called learned people and theirs followers call them) spent the whole night in worship. After Isha they offer Witr prayer and after witr prayer they spent the whole night in offering Salah. Our beloved Prophet Sallallahualayhiwassalam has told us to make the witr our last Rakah always. And these people........ And to add to this these maulvis gave away leaflets giving the no of rakah to be formed which all surahs should be recited in each salah, how many shuold the darood shareef should be recited and also said something about performing an ablution bath. My dad right away the next day went away to the mosque and asked for the authentic hadith for all these activities. The maulvi said he would provide it but that time never came. Ya Allah Please grant Hidayat to all these people to us Inshallah. Ya Mujeeb save us fromt hte torment of the grave, of the day of resurrectiong and of the hellfirand grant us all Jannatalfirdous in the hereafter by making us realize the ultimate truth and making us follow it by our hearts and never hypocritically throuhgout our lives tii our deaths Inshallah and make us resist our wordly temptations and to hate them throughout our lives till our deaths Inshallah.Ameen Ya Mujeeb Ameen Ya Rahmaan Ameen Ya Raheem.Ameen Ya Rabbulala'meen.Ameen Ya Allah Ameen

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Salaam 'Alaikum,

The event which the original poster (Ali) has enquired about is refered to as Laylatul Barat, which according to most people falls on the night preceding the 15th of Sha'ban. It is a very popular event amongst the muslims of the Indian Subcontinent and North Africa. Its also a very controversial event in that it has seemingly divided the Muslims into two camps: one wholeheartedly believes in the blessing and apparent sanctity of this night, while the other (Majority) holds that the blessedness of this night has no basis in Shair'ah, i.e. there are no textual proof from the Qur'an and Sunnah. However, i read a very good article some time ago, in which the writer presented what i thought was a very balanced argument to the debate.

He stated that it was sad to see many ignorant people engrossed in collective prayers and other forms of worship on this night, while there was absolutely no proof for it from the Shari'ah. And these people and there worship should rightly be condemned. However, it is also wrong for people to claim that this night (15th of Sha'ban) has not status, for there are many hadiths in support of the view that the night has some special significance.
Infact, Shaikh Albani (RahimahuAllah) has gone as far as to collect these hadiths and their chains and suggested that according to him, these ahadiths (some found in Al Hakim, Baihaqi, Ad-Daruqutni and in some classical works of other scholars) are authentic. He suggested therefore that the night does have some significance, but since we do not have any reports of how the Prophet (peace be upon him) or the Sahaabah worshipped during this night, we cannot single it out for collective worship. Rather, as individuals we may offer extra nawaafil prayers, do dhikr and read the Qur'an.

Many leaflets and books have been written condeming the worship that is done in the mosques during this night, but as the writer of the article said, it would be imbalanced to completely shun the significance of the night all together.

WaAllahu A'lam

was salaam

salam aleikum
Brother who wrote this article? What is the source of information for that ,especially saying the Shaikh Albani,rahimahullah,collected those hadith to be authentic ?

for there are many hadiths in support of the view that the night has some special significance.
Infact, Shaikh Albani (RahimahuAllah) has gone as far as to collect these hadiths and their chains and suggested that according to him, these ahadiths (some found in Al Hakim, Baihaqi, Ad-Daruqutni and in some classical works of other scholars) are authentic
This doesnt sound right information to me at all,unless there is proof of that ..

waaleikum salam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum wa'Rahmatullaah,

Masha'Allaah, Happy 2BA Muslim post made it clear but below is a Fatawa as well,

Question

I read in one of the books that fasting the middle night of Sha'ban is one of the innovations and I read in another source that from the days that are recommended to fast is the middle night of Sha'ban. What is the correct ruling concerning this?

Answer

No authentic report traced to the Prophet :saw: has been confirmed regarding the virtue of the middle night of Sha'ban that may be acted upon, even in the collections of virtuous acts. Rather, some reports have been related concerning it from some of the Successors of the Companions that are discontinued (i.e., not traced back beyond them), and numerous Hadeeths which the most authentic of them are fabricated or extremely weak. These narrations have become very popular in many of the lands that have become filled with ignorance, such narrations as: the lifespans are written in them and entire lives are wiped away, and so forth. Based upon this, it is not legislated to be vigilant (in worship) during this night nor to fast its day. It also should not be singled out for specific worship. No consideration should be given to the numerous amount of ignorant people who do this. And Allah knows best.

Ash-Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (rahimahullaah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 3, Mosques, Zakah, Funerals, Fasting and Sales Transactions, Pg. 342)

You can also refer to the link below,

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/11722/

Walaykum-us-Salaam wa'Rahmatullaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.