No Praying out of Laziness

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
The scholars have differed concerning the one who misses salaah because he is lazy, although still believes that salaah is obligatory.

Imaam Maalik and Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee (and the majority of earlier and later scholars) were of the opinion that he is not a disbeliever, rather he an evil doer who should repent. If he does not repent then the hadd punishment should be carried out on him with the sword.

'Abdullaah Ibn Al-Mubaarak, Ishaaq Ibn Raahawayh, some of the followers of Ash-Shaafi’ee, as well as what has been reported from ‘Alee Ibn Abe taalib and one of the two reports from Imaam Ahmad, and likewise a number of earlier generations were of the view that such a person is a disbeliever.

Imaam Aboo Haneefah and a number of the people of Koofah as well as Al-Muzani (the companion of Ash-Shaafi’ee) were of the view that he was not a disbeliever and is not to be executed, rather he should be given a disciplinary punishment and imprisoned until he does pray.

[Refer to Sharh Saheeh Muslim, 2/70 and Al-Mughnee, 2/442-447 for more info]

https://theauthenticbase.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/no-praying-out-of-laziness/

Abu Juwairiya

Assalammu Alaikum Brother, I came across the above opinions of the said scholars some years ago. I was a little unsure of what to make of it as the general trend and consensus among today's ulema is that the mark of a Muslim and a Non Muslim is the Salah and this is what still preached in many a Masajid across the world. In my local Masjid the Jumuah Khutbah held the same opinion and affirmed it was the ruling that still stands in the Muslim world.