Not sure about this.....

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah my brothers and sisters at TTI are all in good health and Iman.

I have yet another question that just came up. Each night before sleeping my husband recites 3 surahs into his cupped hands (he recites all 3 surahs 3 times each) then he moves his hands over his entire body starting on his right side from his head to his feet then he moves his hands over his left side from his head to his feet. After doing this to himself he also does the same thing to me rubbing his hands over my entire body from my head to my feet in exactly the same way he did it to himself. He said the reason for this is protection from evil or harm. I was wondering by him doing this to himself I believe it will protect him but by also doing it to me will it protect me as well??? He doesnt repeat the surahs but uses the same ones he recited before moving his hands over himself.

Just curious to see if anyone knows anything about this as I had never read or heard anything like this before on this or any other website. Do you happen to know where this may have originated? My husband is a born Muslim so all he knows is that it was taught to him by his parents but has no idea where it originated. I would just like to know if its exclusive to his family or is this something practiced by other Muslims???

I wont be back online again until next weekend as there is no internet access where we live during the week so everyone have a great week and I hope to read your answers next weekend. Thank you for reading and may Allah reward you for your knowledge and kindness in putting up with all of my questions.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:
sister...dont worry...
IT IS AUTHENTIC...:hearts:YOU CAN REFER TO

AL BUKHARI with Al fath 9/62 and MUSLIM 4/1723:hearts:

I dont have time orelse i could have typed the whole hadeeth...:hearts:

so ..u just refer.

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

a_stranger

Ayesha (R.A.) narrates that when Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) used to go to the room for sleep, he used to recite Suras Ikhlaas, Falaq, Nass and blow onto his hand (palms) in such a manner that the saliva would drop on them and then he would rub them over his body three times starting from the front of the face.

(Bukhari, Muslim)

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Asalam alai kum

Learn the below and use it before sleeping so you can do it for yourself rather than your husband doing it for you.

(Cup your palms together, blow gently into them and then recite)

بَسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ "قُلْ هُوَ اللهُ أَحَدٌ ۞ اللهُ الصَّمَدُ ۞ لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ ۞ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌ"

99. Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem. Qul Huwallaahu 'Ahad. Allaahus-Samad. Lam yalid wa lam. yoolad. Wa lam yakun lahu kufuwan 'ahad.

With the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful . Say : He is Allah (the) One . The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He begets not nor was He begotten , and none is equal to Him .

بَسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ "قُلْ أَعُوذُ بِرَبِّ الْفَلَقِ ۞ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ ۞ وَمِنْ شَرِّ غَاسِقٍ إِذَا وَقَبَ ۞ وَمِنْ شَرِّ النَّفَّاثَاتِ فِي الْعُقَدِ ۞ وَمِنْ شَرِّ حَاسِدٍ إِذَا حَسَدَ".

Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem. Qul 'a'oothu birabbil-falaq. Min sharri maa khalaq. Wa min sharri ghaasiqin 'ithaa waqab. Wa min sharrin-naffaathaati fil-'uqad. Wa min sharri haasidin 'ithaa hasad.

With the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Say: I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of the daybreak, from the evil of what He has created, and from the evil of the darkening (night) as it comes with its darkness, and from the evil of those who practice witchcraft when they blow in the knots, and from the evil of the envier when he envies.

بَسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ "قُلْ أَعُوذُ بِرَبِّ النَّاسِ ۞ مَلِكِ النَّاسِ ۞ إِلَهِ النَّاسِ ۞ مِنْ شَرِّ الْوَسْوَاسِ الْخَنَّاسِ ۞ الَّذِي يُوَسْوِسُ فِي صُدُورِ النَّاسِ ۞ مِنَ الْجِنَّةِ وَالنَّاسِ".

Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem. Qul 'a'oothu birabbin-naas . Malikin-naas . 'Ilaahin-naas . Min sharril-waswaasil-khannaas . Allathee yuwaswisu fee sudoorin-naas . Minal-jinnati wannaas .

With the Name of Allah , the Most Gracious , the Most Merciful. Say: I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of mankind, the King of mankind , the God of mankind , from the evil of the whisperer who withdraws , who whispers in the breasts of mankind, of jinns and men .

(Then pass your hands over as much of your body as you can reach, beginning with the head and the face, then the entire front of your body. Do this three times .)

Reference: Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 9/62, and Muslim 4/ 1723.

"اللهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ لَا تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِي يَشْفَعُ عِنْدَهُ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِهِ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْ وَلَا يُحِيطُونَ بِشَيْءٍ مِنْ عِلْمِهِ إِلَّا بِمَا شَاءَ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَلَا يَئُودُهُ حِفْظُهُمَا وَهُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ".

100. Allaahu laa 'ilaaha 'illaa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyoom, laa ta'khuthuhu sinatun wa laa nawm, lahu maa fis-samaawaati wa maa fil-'ardh, man thal-lathee yashfa'u 'indahu 'illaa bi'ithnihi, ya'lamu maa bayna 'aydeehim wa maa khalfahum, wa laa yuheetoona bishay'im-min 'ilmihi 'illaa bimaa shaa'a, wasi'a kursiyyuhus-samaawaati wal'ardha, wa laa ya'ooduhu hifdhuhumaa, wa Huwal- 'Aliyyul- 'Adheem.

Allah! There is no God but He, the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never encompass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.

Reference: Al-Baqarah 2:255. Whoever reads this when he lies down to sleep will have a guardian from Allah remain with him and Satan will not be able to come near him until he rises in the morning. See Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 4/487.

"آمَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلٌّ آمَنَ بِاللهِ وَمَلَائِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِنْ رُسُلِهِ وَقَالُوا سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِيرُ ۞ لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ رَبَّنَا لَا تُؤَاخِذْنَا إِنْ نَسِينَا أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَا إِصْرًا كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تُحَمِّلْنَا مَا لَا طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِ وَاعْفُ عَنَّا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَا أَنْتَ مَوْلَانَا فَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ"

101: 'Aamanar-Rasoolu bimaa 'unzila mir-Rabbihi walmu'minoon, kullun 'aamana billaahi wa malaa'ikatihi wa Kutubihi wa Rusulihi, laa nufarriqu bayna 'ahadim-mir-Rusulihi, wa qaaloo sami'naa wa 'ata'naa ghufraanaka Rabbanaa wa 'ilaykal-maseer. Laa yukallifullaahu nafsan 'illaa wus'ahaa, lahaa maa kasabat wa 'alayhaa mak-tasabat, Rabbanaa laa tu'aakhithnaa 'in naseenaa 'aw 'akhta'naa, Rabbanaa wa laa tahmil 'alaynaa 'isran kamaa hamaltahu 'alal-latheena min qablinaa, Rabbanaa wa laa tuhammilnaa maa laa taaqata lanaa bihi, wa'fu 'annaa, waghfir lanaa warhamnaa, 'Anta Mawlaanaa fansurnaa 'alal-qawmil-kaafireen.

The Messenger believes in what has been send down to him from his Lord, and so do the believers. Each one believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say: "We make no distinction between any of His Messengers," and they say: "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return." Allah burdens not a person beyond what he can bear. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error. Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us. Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Protector, and help us against the disbelieving people.

Reference: Al-Baqarah 2:285-6. These two Verses will be sufficient for anyone who recites them at night before sleeping. Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari.9/94, Muslim 1/554.

بِاسْمِكَ رَبِّي وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِي، وَبِكَ أَرْفَعُهُ، فَإِنْ أَمْسَكْتَ نَفْسِي فَارْحَمْهَا، وَإِنْ أَرْسَلْتَهَا فَاحْفَظْهَا، بِمَا تَحْفَظُ بِهِ عِبَادَكَ الصَّالِحِينَ".

102: Bismika Rabbee wadha'tu janbee , wa bika 'arfa'uhu, fa'in 'amsakta nafsee farhamhaa, wa 'in 'arsaltahaa fahfadhhaa, bimaa tahfadhu bihi 'ibaadakas-saaliheen.

With Your Name1 my Lord, I lay myself down ; and with Your Name I rise . And if my soul You take , have mercy on it , and if You send it back then protect it as You protect Your righteous slaves.2

Reference:
1 "If any of you rises from his bed and later returns to it, let him dust off his bed with his waist garment three times and mention the Name of Allah, for he does not know what may have entered the bed after him, and when he lies down he should say. . . ".
2 Al-Bukhari 1 1/ 126 and Muslim 4/2084.

"اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ خَلَقْتَ نَفْسِي وَأَنْتَ تَوَفَّاهَا، لَكَ مَمَاتُهَا وَمَحْيَاهَا، إِنْ أَحْيَيْتَهَا فَاحْفَظْهَا، وَإِنْ أَمَتَّهَا فََاغْفِرْ لَهَا، اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْعَافِيَةَ".

103. Allaahwmma 'innaka khalaqta nafsee wa 'Anta tawaffaahaa, laka mamaatuhaa wa mahyaahaa, 'in 'ahyaytahaa fahfadhhaa, wa 'in 'amattahaa faghfir lahaa . Allaahumma 'innee 'as'alukal-'aafiyata.

O Allah, You have created my soul and You take it back. Unto You is its death and its life . If You give it life then protect it , and if You cause it to die then forgive it. O Allah, I ask You for strength.

Reference: Muslim 4/2083 and Ahmad 2/79.

"اللَّهُمَّ قِنِي عَذَابَكَ يَوْمَ تَبْعَثُ عِبَادَكَ".

104. Allaahumma qinee 'athaabaka yawma tab'athu 'ibaadaka.

O Allah,1 save me from Your punishment on the Day that You resurrect Your slaves. (Recite three times in Arabic .)2

Reference:
1 "When the Prophet (SAW) wanted to lie down to sleep, he used to place his right hand under his cheek and say..."
2 Abu Dawud 4/311. See also Al-Albani, Sahih At-Tirmithi 3/143.

"بِاسْمِكَ اللَّهُمَّ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا".

105. Bismika Allaahumma 'amootu wa 'ahyaa.

In Your Name , O Allah , I die and I live.

Reference: Here, dying and living are metaphors for sleep and wakefulness. This explains why the normal order of these words has been reversed in this Hadith. In other contexts the living is mentioned before dying. See Qur'an Al-Baqarah 2:258, Aal-'Imrdn 3:156, Al-A'raf 7:158 among many other examples, (trans.). See also Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 11/113, Muslim 4/ 2083.

"سُبْحَانَ اللهِ، والْحَمْدُ للهِ، وَاللهُ أَكْبَرُ".

106: Subhaanallaahi, - Walhamdu lillaahi, -Wallaahu 'Akbar.

Glory is to Allah (thirty-three times in Arabic) , praise is to Allah (thirty-three times) , Allah is the Most Great (thirty-four times)

Reference: Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 7/71, Muslim 4/2091.

"اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ وَرَبَّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ، رَبَّنَا وَرَبَّ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ، فَالِقَ الْحَبِّ وَالنَّوَى، وَمُنْزِلَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَالْإِنجِيلِ، وَالْفُرْقَانِ، أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ أّنْتَ آخِذٌ بِنَاصِيَتهِ. اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ الأَوَّلُ فَلَيْسَ قَبْلَكَ شَيْءٌ، وَأَنْتَ الْآخِرُ فَلَيْسَ بَعْدَكَ شَيْءٌ، وَأَنْتَ الظَّاهِرُ فَلَيْسَ فَوْقَكَ شَيْءٌ، وَأَنْتَ الْبَاطِنُ فَلَيْسَ دُونَكَ شَيْءٌ، اقْضِ عَنَّا الدَّيْنَ وَأَغْنِنَا مِنَ الْفَقْرِ".

107: Allaahumma Rabbas-samaawaatis-sab'i wa Rabbal-'Arshil-'Adheem, Rabbanaa wa Rabba kulli shay 'in, faaliqal-habbi wannawaa , wa munzilat-Tawraati wal-'Injeeli, wal-Furqaani, 'a'oothu bika min sharri kulli shay 'in 'Anta 'aakhithun binaasiyatihi. Allaahumma 'Antal-'Awwalu falaysa qablaka shay'un, wa 'Antal-'Aakhiru falaysa ba'daka shay'un, wa 'Antadh-Dhaahiru falaysa fawqaka shay'un, wa 'Antal-Baatinu falaysa doonaka shay'un, iqdhi 'annad-dayna wa 'aghninaa minal-faqri.

O Allah! Lord of the seven heavens and Lord of the Magnificent Throne . Our Lord and the Lord of everything . Splitter of the grain and the date-stone , Revealer of the Torah and the Injeel1 and the Furqdn (the Qur'an), I seek refuge in You from the evil of everything that You shall seize by the forelock.2 O Allah You are the First and nothing has come before you, and You are the Last, and nothing may come after You. You are the Most High, nothing is above You and You are the Most Near and nothing is nearer than You. Remove our debts from us and enrich us against poverty. 3

Reference:
1The Scripture that was revealed to 'Isa (Jesus).
2 See Qur'an Al-'Alaq 96:15, where seizure by the forelock preceeds being cast into Hell. (Translator)
3 Muslim 4/2084.

"الْحَمْدُ للهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا، وَكَفَانَا، وَآوَانَا، فَكَمْ مِمَّنْ لَا كَافِيَ لَهُ وَلَا مُؤْويَ".

108: Alhamdu lillaahil-lathee 'at'amanaa wa saqaanaa, wa kafaanaa, wa 'aawaanaa, fakam mimman laa kaafiya lahu wa laa mu'wiya.

Praise is to Allah Who has provided us with food and with drink , sufficed us and gave us an abode for how many are there with no provision and no home.

Reference: Muslim 4/2085.

"اللَّهُمَّ عَالِمَ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَاطِرَ السَّمَاواتِ والْأَرْضَ، رَبَّ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ وَمَلِكُهُ، أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ، أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ نَفْسِي، وَمِنْ شَرِّ الشَّيْطَانِ وَشِرْكِهِ، وَأَنْ أَقْتَرِفَ عَلَى نَفْسِي سُوءاً، أَوْ أَجُرَّهُ إِلَى مُسْلِمٍ".

109: Allaahumma 'Aalimal-ghaybi wash-shahaadati faatiras-samaawaati wal'ardhi, Rabba kulli shay 'in wa maleekahu, 'ash-hadu 'an laa 'ilaaha 'illaa 'Anta, 'a'oothu bika min sharri nafsee, wa min sharrish-shaytaani wa shirkihi, wa 'an 'aqtarifa 'alaa nafsee soo 'an, 'aw 'ajurrahu 'ilaa Muslimin.

O Allah, Knower of the unseen and the evident , Maker of the heavens and the earth , Lord of everything and its Master, I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but You . I seek refuge in You from the evil of my soul and from the evil of Satan and his helpers . (I seek refuge in You) from bringing evil upon my soul and from harming any Muslim.

Reference: Abu Dawud 4/317. See also Al-Albani, SahihAt-Tirmithi 3/142.

"المٓ ۞ تَنْزِيلُ الْكِتَابِ" وَ "تَبَارَكَ الَّذِي بِيَدِهِ الْمُلْكُ".

110: Recite Surah 32 (As-Sajdah) and Surah 67 (Al-Mulk) in Arabic.

Reference: At-Tirmithi, An-Nasa'i. See also Al-Albani, Sahihul-Jami ' As-Saghir 4/255

"اللَّهُمَّ أَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِي إِلَيْكَ، وَفَوَّضْتُ أَمْرِي إِلَيْكَ، وَوَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِي إِلَيْكَ، وَأَلْجَأْتُ ظَهْرِي إِلَيْكَ، رَغْبَةً وَرَهْبَةً إِلَيْكَ، لَا مَلْجَأَ وَلّا مَنْجَا مِنْكَ إِلَّا إِلَيْكَ، آمَنْتُ بِكِتَابِكَ وَبِنَبِيِّكَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلْتَ".

111: Allaahumma 'aslamtu nafsee 'ilayka, wa fawwadhtu 'amree 'ilayka, wa wajjahtu wajhee 'ilayka, wa 'alja'tu dhahree 'ilayka, raghbatan wa rahbatan 'ilayka, laa raalja' wa laa manja minka 'illaa 'ilayka, 'aamantu bikitaabikal-lathee 'anzalta wa bi-nabiyyikal-lathee 'arsalta.

O Allah,1 I submit myself to You, entrust my affairs to You, turn my face to You, and lay myself down depending upon You , hoping in You and fearing You . There is no refuge , and no escape, except to You. I believe in Your Book (the Qur'an) that You revealed, and the Prophet whom You sent.

Reference:
1 "Before you go to bed perform ablutions as you would for prayer, then lie down on your right side and say. . . "
The Prophet (SAW) said: "Whoever says this and dies in his sleep, has died in a state of the natural monotheism (Fitrah)." Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 11/113, Muslim 4/2081.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Ayesha (R.A.) narrates that when Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) used to go to the room for sleep, he used to recite Suras Ikhlaas, Falaq, Nass and blow onto his hand (palms) in such a manner that the saliva would drop on them and then he would rub them over his body three times starting from the front of the face.

(Bukhari, Muslim)

Salam....

YES YES YES These are EXACTLY the 3 surah he recites into his hands and he does this exact same thing the Prophet (SAW) did!!!!! Jazakallah khairan for convincing me what he is doing is authentic enough but please can you tell me if he is the one putting his hands over my body 3 times with this method will it be sufficient??? He does it to himself first then to me as if I were an infant and he is my protector trying to make sure no harm comes to me in my sleep (really he is the best husband and Im so lucky! :SMILY252: Alhamdulillah!!!!) hee hee hee sorry but I had to say that! Im very happy with my marriage as you can see alhamdulillah!

xAllahKnowsBestx

:salam2: sister.

:ma:, it's nice to know your husband is very protective of you.
And about the question, my mom used to do that to me when I was a kid before I would go to sleep. And she didn't really recite 3 times again for me, she would use the same surahs for me as well. I was taught it was what the Prophet SAW did, and I still do it. :)

Kakorot

Proberbly because you don't know how to recite the three quls (qur'aan chapters 12, 13 and 14) yourself, that's why he does it for you. Tell her husband to give you a supplication book called 'Hisnul Muslim' (Fortress of the Muslim) because you can read it yourself, it has english transliteration and translation.

Hope that helps.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Wa'alaykumsalaam wa Rahmatullah Ukhti,

Yes blowing to the hands, reciting the 3 Quls and then wiping the body beginning with the head and face is from the sunnah. But I have never heard wiping it over another person. As we are not sure, perhaps you should practice this sunnah by yourself, that'll be better inshaAllaah.

a_stranger

:salam2:
Dear sister : I used to do that for my children when they were young , I think this is a sign of deep love and concern. AlhamduliAllah.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Salam....

YES YES YES These are EXACTLY the 3 surah he recites into his hands and he does this exact same thing the Prophet (SAW) did!!!!! Jazakallah khairan for convincing me what he is doing is authentic enough but please can you tell me if he is the one putting his hands over my body 3 times with this method will it be sufficient??? He does it to himself first then to me as if I were an infant and he is my protector trying to make sure no harm comes to me in my sleep (really he is the best husband and Im so lucky! :SMILY252: Alhamdulillah!!!!) hee hee hee sorry but I had to say that! Im very happy with my marriage as you can see alhamdulillah!

You see sister....Rasoolullah used to recite these three soorahs when he got ill too....BUT When he severely got ill, he used to order Ayisha (Ral) to do the same to him...
its is recorded in BUKHARI Vol.7, Hadeeth no 644...
so...what I think is sister...Rsoolullah let others do the recitation on him, only when he fell ill....plus in your case as long as you are in good health and when you are not ill...it would be better if you do it on your self
ALLAH KNOWS THE BEST..

IF I AM WRONG ...THEN SOME ONE PLZ DO CORRECT ME:hearts:

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts: