- "Oh You who listen to Music"

ukhtifr

- "Oh You who listen to Music"

O Muslim, lawful things have good attributes,
Where is the good in singing, dancing and listening to flutes?

Can we compare the words of singers and sounds of Musicians,
To the Glorious Quran, its lessons, wisdoms and admonitions?
How many singers do you know and give admiration,
And how many do you know of the companions and the following generation?

How much do you spend on singers from your dollars?
Compared to how much you know of Islamic Scholars.

Do you see how much is memorized of Music songs?
While you ignore the book to which memorization belongs?

How much do you memorize of these incantations?
And swayed back and forth in intoxication?

Have you not seen those who follow the misguided?
And increase the loudness of the Music, when they should hide it?

And who writes their songs? Thinkers, or men of academia?
Or maybe scholars, like Ahmad, Malik or maybe ibn Taymiyah.

Oh you who listen to music

Don't you see that all the songs of the world and all the lyrics you've seen,
Wouldn't compare in reward to Alif Laam Meem

Lecture called "The End of Music" by Kamal El-Makki!!!!!!!

MehmetHilmi

Hmm. You are right, we should focus on our religion. But music can be mixed with religion. We can listen to religious songs that will remind us of Allah (swt), right? Not all music is bad. Don't humans need some sort of connection to this world. What can stop us from going insane? Did you know, Ottoman Muslims used music therapy for patients with mental illness!
A world without music would be horrible. Imagine, all we would hear would be the horrible traffic noises and honking noises of the city and its cars. When I go outside, I hear the beautiful sounds of birds chirping. If Allah (swt) has given birds an ability to sing, we would He forbid us from doing so? Where is the clear justification on the absolute prohibition of musical instruments?
Actually let us forget musical instruments for a while, even the recitation of the Holy Quran is music don't you think? When someone recites Quran, tears come to my eyes because of the beauty of the recitation. Can we not appreciate a similar beauty in other fields.
I am against bad music with bad words, sexual content, alcohol use. But when I listen to oud, just how have I sinned? Throw out the modern trashy music of this day, and listen to the folk, classical, traditional songs of cultures. Such musical compositions are treasures of our cultures. We should protect them rather than deem them as bad.

I know some people will always say that we could use our time for the Quran instead of music. We could, and absolutely should spend time for the Quran, but we can't totally distance ourselves from human life.

Allah (swt) knows best.

Last edited: