On a lighter note......

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters here at TTI are in good health and Iman!

Ok this thread is going to sound completely insane! I have to tell you what I have discovered in the last year that I have lived in Morocco.

Can someone tell me why the flies in this country are so stubborn?????????????

Seriously!!!!! I thought it was my imagination at first so I ignored it for the most part but I gotta tell ya.......I dont think its my imagination anymore!

For example, the flies in the United States will leave you alone if you shoo them away with your arm or hand or whatever. Not here in Morocco!!!!! No sir let me tell you!!!! If you shoo these flies away they will leave for a moment then come at you dive bombing with a vengence! It is SO annoying I cant begin to tell you!!

My theory as to why this happens here and not in the USA? Well in the USA when a fly doesnt cooperate and really gets on your nerves that flies days are numbered (meaning they dont live much longer) but here in Morocco I have noticed most of the people rarely even shoo the flies. In fact it seems they find it very normal for the flies to land on their face or any other place the fly wants to land with little or no interuption at all! SO flies in the USA have come to realize over time that it is not in their best interest to bother humans whereas the flies here in Morocco have not ever met the likes of ME!!!!!!!

Come on flies............BRING IT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The crazy lady has just left the building. You may now resume your normal viewing. :wink:

wa salam

JenGiove

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!! sister, you've never been to the South have you? We've got these bugs that are so large that I know some snakes that wouldn't even eat them! I mean, you think the hissing cockroach is bad? Well, these things are just as big and fly...they are ugly as sin too! I've got to take a picture of one...there's a dead on in the laundry room so Inshallah tomorrow I'll snap a picture and post it.

Isra

aka Tree2008
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!! sister, you've never been to the South have you? We've got these bugs that are so large that I know some snakes that wouldn't even eat them! I mean, you think the hissing cockroach is bad? Well, these things are just as big and fly...they are ugly as sin too! I've got to take a picture of one...there's a dead on in the laundry room so Inshallah tomorrow I'll snap a picture and post it.

Actually now that you mentioned it I did take a trip once to Mississippi in the states and WOW I couldnt believe the size of some of their bugs but thats back when I was living in the north so yeah I was shocked.

STILL I have NEVER seen bugs like they have here!!!! I havent even mentioned that when I first arrived last year I was visited by a spider the size of my balled up fist and I kid you not it was so huge I had to step back and give it some respect from afar!!! Then I sprayed it to death with some insecticide but WOW I had never seen a spider that big before moving here!

Thats not even mentioning the darn flying cockroaches we had coming out of the hole in the floor that everyone likes to call a toilet! I mean they were crazy huge and FLYING no less!!!!!!! WOW! I got rid of that problem real fast........a little bleach down the hole works wonders! :wink:

JenGiove

:salam2: interesting theory, but i dont think flies are that smart to learn from mistakes

:salam2:

You might be surprized...:)I've not watched the video but here is the description and transcript.

http://www.dnalc.org/view/1720-Training-Flies.html

Description:
Many of the genes important for memory in flies are probably also important for memory in other animals, even humans. Doctor Josh Dubnau explains how the T-maze is used to test memory in flies.

Transcript:
Many people are amazed to hear that fruit flies can form memories, but they can. And, even more amazingly, the genes that are involved in giving fruit fly brains the ability to form memories are believed to be the same genes, or many of the same genes, that participate in memory formation in human brains. And so we can study memory in a simpler fruit fly brain with the hopes of understanding about how you and I learn and remember things as well. So let’s go into the lab and watch fruit flies learn about odors. This is the fly room where we train the flies, and we sit in this dark, humid, warm-temperature room and we do our behavior for hours on end. This is a T-maze; this is where we train the flies to associate an odor with an electric shock. The top part of the machine is the training chamber, and the bottom part of the machine has the T-maze, where we actually let the flies make a choice between two odors. So the flies are loaded first into the training tube. The training tube has wires connected to it, and we can deliver electric shock and we can deliver odors on an air current through the training tube. When we connect the odors, the flies smell the odor on an air current. You’ll see the bubbles bubbling through the mineral oil in the machine in the back that we call the “bubbler,” and that’s delivering the OCT to the training chamber. The flies are sequentially exposed to one odor, OCT (which smells a little bit like licorice), and while they smell the licorice-y smell of OCT, they receive an electric shock delivered through the wires. They don’t like the electric shock, it’s painful to them, and they jump whenever they feel the electric shock. After they feel the electric shock while smelling OCT, we give them a second odor, MCH (which smells a little bit like sweaty socks), and while they are smelling MCH there is no shock. After the flies have learned their lesson, we test their memory by transferring them to a little elevator. We do that by gently tapping them out of the training tube into the elevator. Now we attach the two arms of the T-maze. The left arm is going to get OCT, and the right arm is going to get MCH; and we give the flies a choice by lowering them down in the elevator to the choice point where they simultaneously smell MCH on the right and OCT on the left. And if they have learned their lesson that OCT predicts an electric shock, they’ll run to the right, and that’s exactly what we see. So what have we learned? What we’ve learned is that flies can learn, and in the experiment we just did we taught flies that a particular odor predicts the appearance of an electric shock, which they don’t like. And what we saw was an example of short-term memory, but it turns out that flies can also form long-term memory, and to do so we have to train them several times and we have to give them a study break between training sessions. So like people, when they cram for an exam, they don’t remember very long, but when they get a study break between training sessions (we call that space training) they can form a long-term memory. And the most amazing thing is that there are mutations in flies that can either reduce or enhance memory, and that can affect either short-term memory or long-term memory. And we’re beginning to uncover the fact that many of the genes that are important for memory in flies are probably also important for memory in distantly related animals, even humans.

JenGiove

STILL I have NEVER seen bugs like they have here!!!! I havent even mentioned that when I first arrived last year I was visited by a spider the size of my balled up fist and I kid you not it was so huge I had to step back and give it some respect from afar!!! Then I sprayed it to death with some insecticide but WOW I had never seen a spider that big before moving here!

[
/quote]

Was it a tarantula? I held one once...when I wanted it off, the thing wouldn't move!!!! I was shaking my hand up and down so the spider was upside down and the thing just clung to me like a monkey on your back...<shivers!>

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2: interesting theory, but i dont think flies are that smart to learn from mistakes

:lol: Ok brother then explain to me why it is when you almost kill one it flies away and doesnt come right back and also why is it whenever you go and get a flyswatter you wont see that fly again if its true they dont learn from their mistakes??? hmmmmm Im just sayin....

Isra

aka Tree2008
Was it a tarantula? I held one once...when I wanted it off, the thing wouldn't move!!!! I was shaking my hand up and down so the spider was upside down and the thing just clung to me like a monkey on your back...<shivers!>

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww you actually TOUCHED one???????? Creepy!!!! I guess it must have been a tarantula but I wasnt trying to ask it any questions to be honest! I just zapped him as quickly as possible. By the way did I mention he ran like 10 MPH with all those darn legs????

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

I knew it was just a matter of time! The fly which was buzzing my head all night and who was the inspiration for this thread is now gone may he RIP!!!!

Yep I told him to bring it and he did! Too bad for him what I brought was better than what he brought!

:jumpclap::holaaa::SMILY128::wavyarms::laughing-dancing::SMILY346::SMILY288::SMILY139::SMILY29:

mehitora

I have never seen bugs in Morocco. And I have never seen bugs in the North. But as a 23 year resident of Mississippi....bugs are evil. I have seen spiders that there bodies can cover my palm and their legs dangle over the side of my hand....if I would let them that close to me. *shidders* I no like bugs. And cow killers....they never died!! I have squished so many of them and they always get up and start walking around again. Bugs....*shudders*

Wannabemuslim

:salam2: i used to live in tennesee. and from what i can remember the bugs where much larger and more annoying.

But i now i live in the humid west, and one day, over night a larve hatched in my moms room on the day my aunt was visiting. tottally out of no where and no exageration you could not breave without one fly comming in your mouth. im positive it was a curse from shaitan. Two months later when my aunt visited again mold started to grow in my moms old car. And My family are somewhat hygienic people, ie we clean once a month and keep up with western standards. And still my mom still asked my aunt why she never visits...

Dont worry we got rid of our mold issue. i also think the mold caused the larve to hatch. Not a very islam related topic, but hey it is a thread about bugs right.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Not a very islam related topic, but hey it is a thread about bugs right.

As salamo alaikome

I think its ok to make a joke here and there to lighten things up and make someone smile or laugh! Anyway in my opinion EVERYTHING is Islam related since Allah creates all good and bad!

wa salam

Isra

aka Tree2008
I have never seen bugs in Morocco. And I have never seen bugs in the North. But as a 23 year resident of Mississippi....bugs are evil. I have seen spiders that there bodies can cover my palm and their legs dangle over the side of my hand....if I would let them that close to me. *shidders* I no like bugs. And cow killers....they never died!! I have squished so many of them and they always get up and start walking around again. Bugs....*shudders*

There is NO WAY I could ever put one in my hand!!!!! Not even to judge what size it is! No way! Anyone who can do that is much braver than I am!

I have no problem with bugs as long as they stay in their space and out of my space! Its once they enter MY space that they become a problem!

A_Happy_Convert

Assalmo alaikum,

BAHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Isra!!! I'm SOOOOO happy to have read this!!!

The flies here in Morocco are NOTHING like the USA! For real, I've asked Moroccans this before like, "Seriously??!!! Why do they fly away for 2 seconds and then land in the EXACT SAME SPOT as they were before?!" Git OUTTTA here!!!

And you're so right. People could have a fly walkin' all over their lips or eyelashes and couldn't care less. They just sit. And I love when the butchers have those little sticks with plastic streamers at the end and just fan their meat all day. haha!

And my personal favorite: having a fly's high-pitched wing sound buzzing right in your ear when you're trying to sleep. UGH!!

Alhomdolillah anyway.

Glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one!

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Mosquitos are worse, IMHO. We have 'skeeters as big as airplanes down here in Alabama. They have running lights and everything. I think they even have their own landing strip at the local airport. There's nothing like having a West Nile Virus Party in your own backyard.

Flying cockroaches are bad too. Those suckers sit on the ceiling and wait for you to walk under them before detaching from the wall and dive bombing you like a Stuka. I swear I saw a swastika painted on a few wings.

Lucky for me at least the dogs will eat them if they see them.

JenGiove

Mosquitos are worse, IMHO. We have 'skeeters as big as airplanes down here in Alabama. They have running lights and everything. I think they even have their own landing strip at the local airport. There's nothing like having a West Nile Virus Party in your own backyard.

Flying cockroaches are bad too. Those suckers sit on the ceiling and wait for you to walk under them before detaching from the wall and dive bombing you like a Stuka. I swear I saw a swastika painted on a few wings.

Lucky for me at least the dogs will eat them if they see them.

ROTFL!!!!!!!!! Being in Maryland, I TOTALLY know what you mean! and yes, our local airport has a landing strip just for them! And what about Stink Bugs <shivers> and Cicadas? Those things must have bull horns on their faces!! I have to turn up the TV just to hear over them!!!! lol!

Though, the 'skitters in Western Mass swarm you...'Bama ain't got nothin' over Mass on that one! lol! sorry.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
ROTFL!!!!!!!!! Being in Maryland, I TOTALLY know what you mean! and yes, our local airport has a landing strip just for them! And what about Stink Bugs <shivers> and Cicadas? Those things must have bull horns on their faces!! I have to turn up the TV just to hear over them!!!! lol!

Though, the 'skitters in Western Mass swarm you...'Bama ain't got nothin' over Mass on that one! lol! sorry.

I don't know. I was outside for a while yesterday evening as the sun was going down and I got eaten alive by 'skeeters.

The "UWEE" bugs as I call them (cicadas) are annoying too. Every night they compete with the frogs and crickets to see who can annoy me the most. I'm laying in bed, have to get up for work in a couple of hours, but they... won't... shut... up...

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalmo alaikum,

BAHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Isra!!! I'm SOOOOO happy to have read this!!!

The flies here in Morocco are NOTHING like the USA! For real, I've asked Moroccans this before like, "Seriously??!!! Why do they fly away for 2 seconds and then land in the EXACT SAME SPOT as they were before?!" Git OUTTTA here!!!

And you're so right. People could have a fly walkin' all over their lips or eyelashes and couldn't care less. They just sit. And I love when the butchers have those little sticks with plastic streamers at the end and just fan their meat all day. haha!

And my personal favorite: having a fly's high-pitched wing sound buzzing right in your ear when you're trying to sleep. UGH!!

Alhomdolillah anyway.

Glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one!

Wa alaikome salam

:lol: Oh sister I think I should have titled this thread "Welcome To Morocco" I am SO happy that you are telling exactly what I have been seeing for myself! I suppose if you and I were born here in Morocco we probably wouldnt think anything of it but well being from the USA we have noticed! It is one minute thing that normally wouldnt even matter in the grand scheme of things but when I posted this thread I happened to have this one crazy fly buzzing my head the entire time I was sitting at the computer! I was getting angrier and angrier but decided instead of blowing up I should turn it into something amuzing in case other people might be able to identify!

Im happy to hear you can see what Im talking about as a fellow American living here in Morocco! Honestly we need to reinforce each other so neither one of us believes we are crazy! If I tell my husband and my in-laws they just crack up at me! They all think Im crazy anyway!

This thread is just one of my weird ideas! You should see what I have to go through when we are in the village where my husband works! It is nothing like being in Agadir or even where you live sister! I dont even want to get started complaining about being woken up be sheep and donkeys! Now that is an experience for a whole new thread!!! :lol:

Side note.......you mentioned the butchers shooing the flies with those homemade stick thingys they use......sister make sure you wash your meat very very carefully before cooking! :lol: yeah Im just sayin........

Alhamdulillah

wa salam

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

To brother Just a Guy and JenGiove: You two had me cracking up reading your posts back and forth!!! Mercifully I havent really had to deal with mosquitos here Alhamdulillah but in the USA I lived in Michigan so as you can imagine living in a state surrounded by water I had my share of being eaten alive at sunset!

Of course that being said I have to totally agree none of the pests in the northern states dont even come close to what you are dealing with in the south! I visited Mississippi once and that was enough for me!!!! I saw bugs that seemed as if they were eating that "miracle grow" plant food by the bushels!!!! No thank you very much I will stay in the north where I belong!!! :lol:

wa salam