Plague Of Pessimistic Thinking

sheikhonderun

Its becoming quite common among Muslims to harbor negative thoughts either micro and macro level. Regarding the macro level, some Muslims just fall in despair think negatively about issues facing the Ummah. At any given moment, nothing but bad news will come out of them as if everything in this world is run by some conspiracy group as opposed to Allah (swt). On micro level especially the youth, I found individuals who are practicing but harbor negative thoughts about their future. Some muslims think “No one will give me a job, No one wants me as a friend, No one will marry me, I am not good enough to get anything good from Allah (swt) etc.”

These are whispering of devil who tries to bring a person into despair and ruin that individual’s confidence so that he/she falls into a trap of more sin and wrongdoing since the devil makes it look as if there is no point in trying to do any good. This type of thinking even ruins the person’s worldly life since he/she doesn’t have confidence to face the challenges of this world or hereafter. Confidence is in middle of self pity and arrogance. Islam has never encouraged either self pity or arrogance, in fact denounced both characteristics vehemently.

Sometimes speaking to Non Muslims or even Athiests, I found them to be far more positive about their future than Muslims who are supposed to believe in a Lord who is Most Merciful. And this is very sad. One of the reasons is the fact sometimes all we hear is how we are not good enough to meet the standards of the previous generations. As much as we should keep trying to better ourselves, we should not lose in despair for our actions.

In a group gathering, a friend of mine spoke saying that the Companions of Prophet (saw) have done so much and we have done only this much. My friend kept repeating this statement. A scholar rightfully corrected him saying that yes we have not reached their level but our actions however small they are will not go unnoticed by God.

There has to be a balancing act between rightfully reminding people at the same time not doing so in a manner that people start despairing of God in their daily lives. From a Multinational corporation to the family structure or even individual level, improvement can only come about both a mixture of encouragement to do better and appreciation for whatever good has been done.

This is an exerpt from The Book of Major Sins by Muhammad ibn Sulayman at-Tamimi where the author has highlighted that Despair of Allah’s mercy and Being suspicious of Allah (i.e. pessimistic thinking) are Major Sins.

Despair of Allah’s mercy and security from the plan of Allah

Allah says
“…Certainly no one despairs of Allah’s Mercy except the people who disbelieve.” (12:87)

“…None feels secure from the Plan of Allah, except the people who are losers.” (7:99)

Ibn Masood (rad) said: “The greatest of the major sins are associating partners with Allah (in His being attributes and/or worship), feeling secure against the Plan of Allah, despair of Allah’s mercy and despair of Allah’s soothing mercy.” (Abdur-Razzaq)

Ibn Abbas (rad) was asked: “What are the major sins?” and he answered, “Associating partners with Allah (in His being, attributes, and in the exclusive rights such as worship), feeling secure against Allah’s Plan and the despair of Allah’s soothing mercy.” (Ibn Abi Hatim)

Being suspicious of Allah

Allah (swt) says:

“…Moved by wrong suspicions of Allah; the suspicions due to ignorance…” (3:154)

Allah the Glorious says:

“…And that was your assumption, which you assumed about your Lord, it has brought you to ruin…” (41:23)

And His saying:

“…who imagine an evil opinion of Allah: on them is round of evil…” (48:6)

It is narrated from Ibn Umar (rad): “The greatest of major sins is having an evil opinion of Allah.” (Ibn Mardawayah narrated it in Kanz al Amal)

Jabir (rad) related that he heard Allah’s Messenger (saw) saying three days before his death: “See that none of you dies without having good expectations from Allah.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

Ibn Abu ad-Dunya added: “For some people’s wrong assumption about Allah they were brought to their destruction.”

Allah (swt) said:

“And that was your assumption which you assumed about your Lord. It has brought you to ruin, and you have becoming among the losers.” (41:23)

Abu Hurayrah (rad) narrated that the Prophet (saw) said: “Allah said, ‘I am to my slaves as he thinks of Me.’ ” (Bukhair and Muslim)

In another version, Ahmed and Ibn Hibban added: “If he assumed good of Me, he will have it, and if he assumed evil (consequence and bad) of Me, he will have it.” (Ahmad and Ibn Hibban)

(If you have benefited from this article, raise your hands and pray for me and send it to others)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
:jazaak: we do need optimistic thinking and the artice is very good one.Many people have become pessimist although it should be opposite.Islam gives us hope and tells us not to despair.Submission itself is acquiring peace and having good intention with Allah.Thank you for sharing.
:wasalam:

MalikBrother

Assalamu - Alaikum!

This, very fine putting of 'Plague of Pessimistic Thinking', and during the difficult times, where the habit of harboring 'defensive; thought which leads to compromise himself/herself confidence and self respect. Insha'Allaah!, and for their patience would be indeed worthy to encounter these 'negative' or 'defensive' thought, and let your guard not down at all. Praise be to Allaah (SWT) - Lord of the Worlds!