Please help

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
Assalam'

Dear Brother & Sister,

Please assist me in providing the necessary quote from Quran verses & Hadith for the three following questions.

1) Issue on drinking alcohol. Islam forbid. Why?

2) Issue on covering up your tattoo & proper attire while going to Islamic classes/course & also attending salat in masjid. Why tattoo is haram? Must we cover it up while going for masjid or classes? Why?

3) Issues on learning the Quran without proper teacher. Why do we need teachers if there are books that one could read & refer to?

All these question are question to me by a friend of mine. I could not answer as I do not have the knowledge. Please help me as I am trying to help my friend. Many have given up on him but I will not give up until I had really tried my best.

Hope you brother & sister can help.

Wasalam
Syed

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Assalam'

Dear Brother & Sister,

Please assist me in providing the necessary quote from Quran verses & Hadith for the three following questions.

1) Issue on drinking alcohol. Islam forbid. Why?

2) Issue on covering up your tattoo & proper attire while going to Islamic classes/course & also attending salat in masjid. Why tattoo is haram? Must we cover it up while going for masjid or classes? Why?

3) Issues on learning the Quran without proper teacher. Why do we need teachers if there are books that one could read & refer to?

All these question are question to me by a friend of mine. I could not answer as I do not have the knowledge. Please help me as I am trying to help my friend. Many have given up on him but I will not give up until I had really tried my best.

Hope you brother & sister can help.

Wasalam
Syed

Asalamu Alikum warahamtu Allah wabrkatu here is a fatwas i hope insha Allah helpful for you

Fatwa no 1
Why does Islam forbid alcohol whilst promising the people of Paradise that they will drink wine there?.

Praise be to Allaah.

We have already listed some of the evil consequences that result from drinking alcohol, which are the reason why drinking it is absolutely forbidden in the religion of Allaah. See for example question no 40882.

But the questioner – may Allaah guide us and him to knowledge of the truth – thinks that the prohibition on alcohol in this world, and the promise to the believers that they will enjoy it in Paradise, is a contradiction or fault in the religion of Allaah, or at best he is confused by this.

Allaah forbid that there should be any contradiction in his Book or His laws, for He is the All-Knowing, All-Wise, All-Aware. Contradictions come from others, not from Him, may He be exalted. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do they not then consider the Qur’aan carefully? Had it been from other than Allaah, they would surely, have found therein many a contradiction”

[al-Nisa’ 4:82]

Contradictions come from human beings when they try to criticize the revealed words, and from their misunderstanding when they fail to grasp the intended meaning or the wisdom behind the words.

The Book of Allaah is protected by Him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur’aan) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)”

[al-Hijr 15:9].

With regard to other books (scriptures), Allaah has not guaranteed to preserve them, rather He commanded their people to guard them, but they altered them and changed them, so no one longer has any doubt that they have been changed from the form in which Allaah revealed them. Indeed anyone among the people of these Books who has the slightest knowledge does not claim that this is how they were revealed from God or that the Messiah conveyed them like this during his lifetime. See question no. 47516.

Now let us return to the question and ask the questioner:

Are you objecting to the prohibition on alcohol in this world? Do you want it to be permitted as it will be a delight for the people of Paradise? In that case we ask you: Wasn’t alcohol forbidden in your holy Book, and is that not mentioned repeatedly in the Old Testament in which you believe? If you do not know about that, then listen:

“Woe to those who are champions at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks”

Isaiah 5:22 (New International Version)

“Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor”

Proverbs 23:20-21 (New International Version)

“Then the LORD said to Aaron: ‘You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You must distinguish between the holy and the profane, between the unclean and the clean.’”

Leviticus 10:8-10 (New International Version)

This is sufficient evidence for anyone who is wise; as for discussing these verses in detail, we do not have room to do so here.

Even in the New Testament of your holy Book, there remain some verses which point to that:

“But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, and idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard of a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.”

1 Corinthians 5:11 (New International Version)

“Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of Gos.”

1 Corinthians 9:9-10 (New International Version)

“Do not get drunk with wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”

Ephesians 5:18 (New International Version)

And there any many similar verses.

“Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinn and men) deny?”

[al-Rahmaan 55:13]

If you claim, as you do, that this prohibition was abrogated and that it became permissible for you, then why do you object to the idea that the Qur’aan abrogated that permission and that Allaah has forbidden it to people in this world?

Or are you objecting to the fact that it will become a delight in the Hereafter after it was forbidden in this world? Do you want it to be forbidden in both realms?

In that case, it remains for us to ask you: if you accept that the prohibition of alcohol in this world was abrogated, so it became permissible – as you claim – then is it not more appropriate that you should accept that in the Hereafter? Even though the Hereafter is not a place of obligations, rather it is the place of delight for the people of Paradise and the torment of Hell for the people of the Fire.

But we say this simply for the sake of argument, to show to him that he was being fair to his opponent when he did not look at what he has (in the Bible).

But if the questioner really wants to know the truth, then the truth is simpler than that, for it is light, and in that case we say to him:

Allaah has forbidden alcohol because it is an evil abomination, of the Devil’s handiwork; it destroys the mind of the one who drinks it and distracts him from worshipping and obeying Allaah, and leads him to disobey Him, and it generates enmity and hatred in the hearts of the believers. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc), and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

91. Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91]

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every intoxicant is khamr and all khamr is haraam.” Saheeh Muslim, 2003.

This is what it says in your holy Book:

“Then the LORD said to Aaron: ‘You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink ... You must distinguish between the holy and the profane, between the unclean and the clean.’”

Leviticus 10:8-10 (New International Version)

As for the wine of the Hereafter, it is delightful and is free of all the filth and impurities of worldly wine. Paradise is the abode of the good and pure, and there is nothing in it but good things. Our Lord says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Round them will be passed a cup of pure wine —

46. White, delicious to the drinkers.

47. Neither will they have Ghoul (any kind of hurt, abdominal pain, headache, a sin) from that nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom”

[al-Saaffaat 37:45-47]

They will not suffer any kind of hurt, pain, or headaches, and it will not destroy their wealth.

The wine of the Hereafter bears no resemblance to the wine of this world except in name. As for its real nature, no eye has seen, no ear has heard, nor has it entered the heart of man. Our Lord says (interpretation of the meaning):

“No person knows what is kept hidden for them of joy as a reward for what they used to do”

[al-Sajdah 32:17]

The one who contaminate himself with the wine of this world deserves to be denied the wine of the Hereafter. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every intoxicant is khamr and every intoxicant is haraam. Whoever drinks wine in this world and dies having persisted in drinking it and not having repented, will never drink it in the Hereafter.”

Saheeh Muslim, 2003.

We ask Allaah to guide you to the truth and help you to give up specious arguments.

And Allaah is the source of strength, and there is no lord but He.

Islam Q&A

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Assalam'

Dear Brother & Sister,

Syed

Ruling on tattooing in Islam
Is tattooing permissible in Islam?

Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing means to prick the skin with a needle and inject kohl or some other substance to change the skin colour to blue or green. This is haraam according to the consensus of the scholars. (al-Mughni 1/94)

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

“Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and the women who have this done, the women who pluck their eyebrows, and the women who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and change the creation of Allaah.”

Agreed upon. Al-Lu’lu’ wa’l-Marjaan, part 2, p. 175

Ruling on leaving a tattoo on the body or a gold tooth after finding out that it is haraam
What is the ruling on leaving a tattoo on the body after finding out that it is haraam? Also what about leaving a gold tooth which a Muslim had done when he was unaware (of the ruling), but if he has it removed after knowing that it is haraam, it will leave a gap in his mouth?

Praise be to Allaah.

Please note that tattoos on the body are haraam, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who makes hair extensions and the one who asks for that to be done, and the one who does tattoos and the one who asks for them to be done. If a Muslim does that when he is unaware of the fact that it is haraam, or that is done to him when he is a child, then he has to remove it when he comes to know that it is haraam. But if removing it is too difficult or will cause him harm, then it is sufficient for him to repent and seek forgiveness, and it will not matter if he leaves the mark on his body. With regard to having a gold tooth fitted when it is not needed, this is not permissible, because gold is haraam for men, unless there it is necessary for some valid reason. I understood from your question that you did that for the purpose of beautification, so you have to remove it. You can have it replaced with something else that is made of permissible material, other than gold. May Allaah help us all to do that which pleases Him. Wa’l-salaamu ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah wa barakaatuhu.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Alazeez ibn Baaz

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Assalam'

Dear Brother & Sister,

This is a related fatwa to your question

Is it possible to seek knowledge by using tapes?
Some seekers of knowledge content themselves with listening to tapes of the scholars giving their lessons. Is this sufficient for gaining knowledge? Can they be considered to be seekers of knowledge? Will that affect their belief?

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly these tapes spare them the need to be present with the scholars if they cannot be present, but being present with the scholars is preferable, and is better for the purpose of understanding and discussing. But if they cannot be present then this is good enough.

But can they be seekers of knowledge when they are restricted to this?

We say, yes, that is possible if a person strives hard, just as it is possible for man to become a scholar by taking knowledge from books. But the difference between taking knowledge from books and tapes, and learning directly from the scholars, is that learning directly from the scholars is a more effective way of gaining knowledge, because it is an easy way which enables one to discuss matters, unlike listening or reading, which needs a great deal of care in order to gather and gain knowledge.

With regard to the question, will limiting oneself to tapes have any effect on their belief?

Our response is: yes, it will have an effect on their belief if they listen to tapes of bid’ah and follow them. But if they listen to tapes of trustworthy scholars, that will not have any effect on their belief, rather it will increase them in faith and steadfastness, and in following the correct belief.

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
:salam2:

ThankQ Sister Sandra for answering Question 1 & 2.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Wasalam,
Syed

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Dear Sister,

I don't quite understand this statement. Can help to explain?
Many thanks.

Wasalam

Syed

brother jazak Allah khayran i meant that learninng quran and seeking knowledge of quran is the best thing in this world cause Allah will reward us for that in life and dayafter

so to attending a masjid lessons of quran and learn quran from Qarie (quran reader) is the most accurate best way

AKHI

Allahuakhbar

Assalam,

Thanks Brother. My question was not really answered or maybe my question is not specific enough.

This friend of mine study the Quran in translation (Eng&Malay). He is bless with good memory & an intelligent mind. However, I felt he misuse his knowledge & quote a Quranic verses to his advantage. He has no teacher & also no basic knowledge nor education in Islamic studies. (Question 3)
He claims: -

1) There is no statement in Quran that forbid drinking of alcohol but claim that there is a quote that says not too drink too much as it will effect your consciousness.

2) He claim that muslim is forbid to pass judgment & look down on others. (Which i agree) Still i believed that one should practice proper manners & proper dress code while going to Islamic classes or going to salat in masjid. I believe that Muslim should protect its image so that we portray Islam correctly. I feel that one should cover his tattoo e.g wearing long sleeve to not show his tattoo on one arm. This is also to protect others from passing judgment.
Please help to correct me if i'm wrong.

3) Question 3 above.

I understand the answer to Question 1 & 2. Please explain to me again question number 3. Thank you sooo much for helping me bother. I will waiting for your reply.

Wasalam,
Syed

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
brother jazak Allah khayran i meant that learninng quran and seeking knowledge of quran is the best thing in this world cause Allah will reward us for that in life and dayafter

so to attending a masjid lessons of quran and learn quran from Qarie (quran reader) is the most accurate best way

Thanks Sister. My though too. Any back up verses from Quran or Hadith?

:wasalam:
Syed

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah

Thanks Sister. My though too. Any back up verses from Quran or Hadith?

Syed

here is the benefit of quran

great benefits of reciting the Quran
Indeed to reflect on Allah’s verses is a form of worship that will draw one close to Allah Most High. This reflection is not a reckless and wandering one, rather it includes a study of the classical tafseer of the verses being pondered over, as this would fulfil Ibnul-Qayyim’s great advice, “Such as reflecting over a book which a person has memorised and he expounds it so that he may understand what its author intends by it.”
Indeed the Book of Allah is not a book like any other, it is the timeless Speech of Allah, not a created thing, the study guide for life and death and what comes after. Therefore it deserves a more careful study than anyone else’s speech. It necessitates that its reader return to the early narrations of those who witnessed its revelation and heard its explanation by the one deputed by Allah to rehearse and explain His Words to humanity (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). For if one would try to ponder over the meanings of the verses without having done this study, then surely the filth of the time that he lives in and his ignorance of the correct application and understanding that the early Muslims had would cause him to understand some things not intended by Allah Most High, and therefore he would go astray, thinking to be worshipping Allah. So every sincere Muslim who hopes to earn Allah’s Love breciting and reflecting over Allah’s Book, then let him hold tight to the meanings explained by the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), and those taught by the companions and their immediate followers, and the early scholars of Islam.

So dear brother and sister Muslim! Know that reciting and pondering over the Book of Allah, devoting your time regularly to its study and implementation has tremendous benefits in this life and the Next, so let us now look to just a few of them to attach ourselves more firmly to Allah’s Majestic Words. Each benefit stands as enough of an encouragement to shun any laziness we have and dedicate ourselves to the Qur’an.

1 - Reading and reflecting over the Qur’an fulfils an Islamic duty.

Indeed the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) summarised this Religion with his statement: “The Religion is naseehah (sincerity)!” So then Tameem ibn Aws, may Allah be pleased with him, then said, “We asked, ‘To whom?’” He said: “To Allah, HIS BOOK, His Messenger, the leaders of the people, and their common folk.” [Muslim] The sincerity that is due to the Book of Allah includes its regular recitation, learning the rules of tajweed and reciting it beautifully, learning about its tafseer and the reasons for its revelation, affirming that it is the Truth, the perfect Speech of Allah and not part of the creation, honoring it and defending it, abiding by the orders and prohibitions found in it, teaching it and calling to it. [See Jaami’ul-’Uloom wal-Hikam of Ibn Rajab Al-Hambalee] So by reading and reflecting over the Qur’an, one fulfills an obligation and is rewarded for that. Upon fulfilling this obligation, the Qur’an then becomes a proof for him on the Day of Judgment! And that is our second benefit we will take by embracing this Noble Book...

2 - The Qur’an will be a proof for us on the Day of Judgment.

This is due to the statement of the Messenger: “And the Qur’an is a proof for you or against you.” [Muslim] So one of two things will occur with this proof, the Book of Allah. It will either be in your favor, a proof for you on the Day when you will need every single good deed, or it will be something standing against you, the very Speech of your Creator, a proof against you! Who could be saved from the terrors of that Day if Allah’s own Speech is against him?!?! Think carefully, dear Muslim brother or sister, about your position with the Qur’an! Are you neglecting it, contradicting it, being heedless of its orders and prohibitions, are you thinking deeply over it?! Will it be on your side on the Day of Judgment.?! O Allah! We ask you, by Your Glorious Speech and the rest of your beautiful Names and Attributes, to make the Qur’an a proof for us! O Allah! Don’t make the Qur’an a proof against us on that Day, and save us from the hellfire! For if Allah makes the Qur’an a proof in our favour on that Day, then it would also be an intercessor for us, when NO intercession will take place except by His Permission.

3 - The Qur’an will intercede for us on the Day of Judgment.

The proof: Aboo Umaamah relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Read the Qur’an, for verily it will come on the Day of Standing as an intercessor for its companions.” [Muslim]

4 - Your status in this life will be raised.

In Saheeh Muslim, we find a lovely story, about how a man from the people of Jannah, ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattaab, understood this principle. Some men came to question him during his khilaafah about the leadership of Makkah, they asked, “Who do you use to govern Makkah?” He said, “Ibn Abzaa.” They asked, “And who is Ibn Abzaa?” Umar replied, “A freed slave from those we freed.” They remarked, “You left a freed slave in charge of the people of the Valley (the noble tribes of the Quraysh)!?!?” So he answered them, “Verily he is a reader of the Book of Allah and is knowledgeable about the obligations of the Muslims. Haven’t you heard the statement of your Messenger: “Verily Allah raises some people by this Book and lowers others by it.”

5 - You will be from the best of the people.

‘Uthmaan, may Allah be pleased with him, said that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “The best of you are the ones who learn the Qur’an and teach it to others” [Al-Bukhari]

6 - There are ten rewards for each letter you recite from the Qur’an.

As an authentic hadith in At-Tirmithee proves: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” So increase your recitation of the Qur’an to gain these merits, and to gain the following merit as well.

7 - The reciters of the Qur’an will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels.

‘Aa’ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

So dear brother or sister Muslim, do not let the Shaytaan give you false excuses, such as “I am not an ‘Arab,” or “Its not my language.” This hadith is a firm proof against these whisperings. Dedicate yourself to the Book of Allah, whether you are an ‘Arab or not! The excuses have been eliminated and the pathway has been cleared for you to embrace the Book of Allah without holding back or offering excuses! And surely you will not hesitate to seek a teacher or a study circle for the Qur’an once you hear the last and perhaps greatest benefits of reading and contemplating over the Qur’an...

8 - Your position in Paradise is determined by the amount of Qur’an you memorize in this life!

‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-’Aas heard the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) saying: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in the dunyaa! For verily, your position in the Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!” [Aboo Daawood and At-Tirmithee, saheeh]

9 - The Qur’an will lead you to Paradise!

The Prophet said: “The Qur’an is an intercessor, something given permission to intercede, and it is rightfully believed in. Whoever puts it in front of him, it will lead him to Paradise; whoever puts it behind him, it will steer him to the Hellfire.” [An authentic hadith found in At-Tabaraanee, on the authority of ‘Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood]

Know, dear brother that these nine benefits from the many benefits available can only be attained by a sincere commitment to the Book of Allah, not by a person’s mere statement, “I love the Qur’an, it’s beautiful.” Rather the heart must be sincerely attached to Allah’s Book and the limbs and tongue will follow in this attachment. You must know that we only mentioned a few of the numerous benefits of reading and reflecting over the Qur’an. There are many benefits that await your reading in the Qur’an and books of hadith, like the chapter of the Qur’an that will argue on your behalf in the grave, and that it is a physical healing, a source of rest and relaxation for your heart, among many other things. And Allah knows best. (Taken from Look 4 Islam)

AKHI

Allahuakhbar

Thanks Sister.

I got the big picture now. I got my answer although it was not a direct answer but I feel it is the most appropriate.

I hope I'm able to talk my friend into learning or seeking proper education with a proper Islamic school as he is rather intellectual & gifted. He is passionate about Islam but no patient to learn it from basic.

I will try to enroll myself for my own benefit & try to ask him along.

Thanks again

Wasalam,
Syed

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
Rasulullah said "Whatever intoxicate in big quantity is Haraam in small quantity." (Silsilah Hadits Ash Shahihah 3 by syaikh Nashir Al Albaani).

People who buy alcohol to drink will not be away from 4:

1. Disease
2. Being drunk eventhough he is a social drinking, and when he gets drunk in 1 occasion and that make him do something of crime, he might not be able to make it up to the victim.
3. He couldn't escape from 40 lashes at his back, and when he drink that at the 4 time, he might end up being killed by Islam government according to Syari'at.
4.He will not drink the Khamr in Jannah in a wellknown Al Hadits and he couldn't use his money for Allahu Ta'ala, but instead he gives that to Syaithan. Na'udzu billahi min dzaalik.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Thank You Brother.

nori suja'i

Assalamu'aleikum,
About ur last question on why must we learn Islam thru' religious teacher instd of depending on books.
We were given two choices that is right and left.
The choice is if we did'nt learn Islam from the muslim expert means we learned it from shaytaan then - na'udzubillah.

Wallahualam.

Nurain

Asalam'alaikum brother

Am not sure when you posted this but about question no 3, I was taught before that one needs a teacher in learning qur'an, salaat etc. because there is no "soul" in learning without a teacher

I guess logically it means, you are directing yourself and you will not know the wrongs and right, and can u imagine if generations and gens of people learn via the method of internet etc (any medium but not a teacher) the number of mistakes no one will account for?

In addition, learning from a teacher will insha'Allah gain rewards for both the tutor and tutee. And bonds with what is required under silaturrahim!

:D

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

poor questioner is asking from quran and hadith and we r offloadibg our gyaan of the bible.most ppl dont believe in the bible anyways.get to the point.