PLEASE READ: `Aqeedah Study- Al-Haa'iyyah & Explanation

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

This is an initiative I wanted to take for a long time now (well at least wanted to take it in the blessed month of Ramadaan) but unfortunately my lazy self has been procrastinating as usual.

Inshaa'Allaah by me posting this- I will have to pull up my socks and contribute to the thread as I am the thread starter... thus I can get rid of a large chunk of laziness, inshaa'Allaah :- )

We all know the importance of `Aqeedah and how it plays a huge role in seeking of knowledge. It is, however, sad how the people of deviance have managed to mix their falsehood amongst lay people- to the extent that laymen end up having doubts on the apparent texts of the Qur'aan & Sunnah (regarding the Names and Attributes of Allaah etc.). And due to the fact that our general masses have lost their contact with the people of knowledge and their books- thus they are left in a cloud of confusion. Indeed, it is very sad to see that members even in TTI do not have a basic understanding of the `Aqeedah of Ahl al-Sunnah, their manhaj etc. Thus, I am hoping by this thread- we can produce members in this forum who have a very basic understanding, at the least.

This is how it works... we will be studying together an `Aqeedah poem, which is from one of the first classical `Aqeedah 'poems' that were written.

The way we will be studying it: I will, after posting the text of the poem and an introduction to the poem and author, will be posting one line of poetry from the text (out of 33 lines) and I will ask questions about it- and will expect the participating members to answer these questions. After recieving a set number of answers- I will post the explanations related to the line of poetry [The explanation will be based on my notes from 1) a Ustaadh who taught this poem here in London, 2) #the explanation of Sh. Saleh al-Fawzaan of this poem, 3) Relevant points from my notes from `Aqeedah al-Tahawiyyah- which was taught by another Ustaadh]

As for those who wish to participate- then please post below confirming your participation... and by you confirming, you will have to take part in this thread till we finish the text- bi idhnillaah. After posting the introduction, I will wait for you guys for a day or two till we start inshaa'Allaah. I would be more than happy, if we have even 1 person till the end rather than have 20 people only till half way through.

After we recieve a number of participating members, I will post the rules on posting the answers etc.

---------------------------------------------------

Below is the `Aqeedah Poem that was written by Ibn Abee Dawood, the son of Abu Dawood rahimahullah.

Translation of the text:

(1) Hold tightly to the rope of Allaah and the guidance,
And do not be an innovator, so that you might be successful.

(2) And practice your religion based on the Book of Allaah and the Sunan which
have come from the Messenger of Allaah so you will be saved and earn reward.

(3) And say: Not a created thing is the Speech of our great King,
Such was the religious position of the pious ones (before us) which they clearly expressed.

(4) And do not be a person who takes no position on the Quran,
As did the followers of Jahm, and they had been too lax (to take the right position).

(5) And do not say that the Quran is created, meaning: its recitation,
Since the Speech of Allaah, through its recitation, is made clear.

(6) And say: Allaah will make himself visible to the creation, openly,
Just as the full moon is not hard to see, and your Lord (will be seen) more clearly.

(7) And He was not born, nor has He fathered anyone,
Nor is there anything similar to Him, exalted be the Glorified One.

(8) A Jahmee rejects this, however, we have
As a testimony to the truth of what we say - a hadeeth that clarifies it.

(9) Jareer narrated it, from the words of Muhammad,
So say what he said about that, and you will be successful.

(10) And certainly a Jahmee will deny His Right Hand as well,
While both of His Hands are giving out all kinds of bounties.

(11) And say: The Ever-Compelling descends each night,
Without asking how, magnificent is the One God and most worthy of praise.

(12) Down to the lowest heaven, granting bounties from His Grace,
As the gates of the heavens are opened and spread widely.

(13) He says: Is there anyone seeking forgiveness who would like to meet a Forgiver?
Or anyone seeking bounties of goodness and provisions, so he could be given (what he requests)?

(14) A group have reported this whose reports are not to be rejected,
But sadly some have went wrong and did not believe them, marring themselves.

(15) And say: Indeed the best of the people after Muhammad
Were his two deputies of old, and then 'Uthmaan, according to the most correct position.

(16) And the fourth of them was the best of creation after them,
'Alee, the companion of goodness, through goodness he was successful.

(17) Those are the people, those who we have no doubt about,
Upon the great camels of Firdows, shining brightly and roaming about.

(18) Sa’eed, Sa'd, Ibn 'Awf, Talhah,
Aamir of Fihr, and Zubayr the praiseworthy.

(19) And speak with the best terms about the Companions, all of them,
And do not be one who speaks ill of them, pointing out their faults and criticizing,

(20) Since the clear Revelation has spoke of their excellence,
And in (Soorah) al-Fath are verses about the Companions, praising them.

(21) And regarding the pre-ordained Qadr, be convinced, since it is
The pillar that combines many affairs of the Religion, and the Religion encompasses much.

(22) And do not reject, out of ignorance, (belief in) Nakeer and Munkar,
Or the Pool or the Scales, surely you are being advised sincerely.

(23) And say: Allaah, the Great, will remove, from of His Grace,
Out of the Fire, people, burned severely, who will then be tossed

(24) Into the river in Firdows, wherein they will regain life by its water,
Like a seed taken by a flood that comes and wipes things away with its abundant water.

(25) And surely, the Messenger of Allaah will intercede for the creation.
And speak about the punishment of the grave, that it is the truth, made clear.

(26) And do not make takfeer of those who pray, even if they commit sins,
Since all of them commits sins, while the Owner of the Throne forgives graciously.

(27) And do not hold a belief like that of the Khawaarij, for it is
A position held by only those who desire it, and it is destructive and disgraceful.

(28) And do not be a Murji', one who plays games with his religion,
Surely, the Murji' is joking about the religion (ie. not taking it seriously).

(29) And say: Eemaan (faith) consists of statements, intentions (i.e. belief of the heart)
And Actions, according to the explicit statement of the Prophet.

(30) And it decreases sometimes, due to disobedience, and sometimes
Because of obedience it grows, and on the Scale it will outweigh (other things).

(31) And keep yourself from the opinions of people and their stances,
Since the stance of the Messenger of Allaah is more befitting and comforting to the chest.

(32) And do not be from those who play games with their religion,
Attacking the people of hadeeth and reviling them.

(33) If you keep the belief contained within this poem all your life, O my companion,
You will be upon goodness, day and night.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
About the Author

He is Abū Bakr `Abdullāh bin Sulaymān bin al-Ash`ath bin Ishāq bin Bashīr bin `Amr bin `Imrān al-Azdi as-Sijistāni; famously known as Ibn Abū Dāwūd. He was born in Sijistān, in the year 230 AH.

He travelled the east and west extensively with his father in his pursuit of knowledge, including Khurasān, Asbahān, Naysābūr, Basrah, Baghdād and Kūfah, Makkah and Madīnah, Shām, Misr and Jazīrah.

He was a person of aspirations in his seeking of knowledge, even from a young age.

His teachers include: `Ali al-Marwazi, Muhammad bin Yahya azh-Zhuhali, Muhammad bin al-Muthanna, Yūsuf bin Mūsa al-Qattān, Ishaaq al Kawsaj (companions of Imaam Ahmed), Muhammad ibn Yahya ad dhuhalee (among the Huffaadh, Haafidh is he who has memorized atleast 100,000 narrations with the asaaneed).

His students include: Abū Hafs `Amr bin Shāhīn, Imām ad-Dāraqutni, `Abdur-Rahmān bin Abū Hātim, Abū `Abdullāh bin Battah.

He is considered to be from amongst the scholars of Ahl as-Sunnah wa al-Jamā`ah, and followed the Hanbali school of thought.

Some of his works include: al-Musnad, an-Nāsikh wa al-Mansūkh, at-Tafsīr, al-Qirā’āt, al-Masābīh, Nadhm al-Qur’ān, al-Ba`th wa an-Nushūr.

He passed away in the year 316 AH, leaving behind eight children. May Allāh envelop him in His mercy.

About the Poem

It is a poem concerning `Aqīdah (creed/belief) and Usūl ad-Dīn (the fundamentals of the religion).

It is called al-Hā’iyyah because each line ends with the letter ح.

It comprises of around 30-odd lines or 40 lines, since there is a difference of opinion with regards to its exact number. Some considered it to be:
• 33 lines (this number is found in most copies of the text), including Abu Hafs `Amr bin Ahmad bin Shāhīn, Abū Bakr Muhammad bin al-Hassan al-Ājurry. Sh. `Abdur-Razzāq bin `Abdul-Muhsin al-`Abbād explained the text according to this number.

• 36 lines; al-`Allāmah as-Safārīni states in his explanation of the poem that Ibn al-Banā’ al-Hanbali added three extra lines.

• 40 lines, as is found in Sharh as-Sunnah by Ibn Shāhīn. It is said that these extra lines came from some of those who narrated the poem. Sh. `Abdur-Rahmān bin Nāsir al-Barrāk and Sh. Sālih al-Fawzān explained the text according to this number.

It seems that the stronger opinion is that it consists of 33 lines, as relayed by Imām adh-Dhahabi with his chain. The additional lines came from some of the narrators of the poem, even though no doubt the meanings of those lines are still very important.

The poem is entitled al-Hā’iyyah; also known al-Qasīdah al-Hā’iyyah or al-Mandhūmah al-Hā’iyyah.

It was attributed back to the author by many scholars including Ibn Abū Ya`la in his book Tabaqāt al-Hanābilah and Imām adh-Dhahabi in his book al-Siyar al-A`lām an-Nubala. Imam adh-Dhahabi states, “This poem is mutawātir, reported by al-Ājurry who wrote an explanation for it, and also reported by Abū `Abdullāh bin Battah in al-Ibānah.”

There are a number of manuscripts of the poem around the world, including one in Dār al-Kutub al-Dhahiriyyah in Damascus, comprising three pages.

The scholars who reported this poem with their chain of narration includes:
• Imām adh-Dhahabi, from Abū al-`Abbās Ahmad bin `Abdul-Hamīd, from Imām Abū Muhammad bin Qudāmah, from `Ali bin Bayān, from al-Husayn bin `Ali at-Tanājīri, from Abū Hafs bin Shāhīn, from Abū Bakr bin Abū Dāwūd as-Sijistāni.

• Imām Abū Bakr Muhammad bin al-Husayn al-Ājurry who said, “Abū Bakr bin Abū Dāwūd dictated the poem to us in Masjid ar-Rasāfah, on the day of Jumu`ah, in the year 309 AH.”
The poem has been explained by a number of scholars including: Imām al-Ājurry, Ibn al-Banā’ al-Hanbali, Imām as-Safārīni, and from our times, Sh. `Abdur-Razzāq bin `Abdul-Muhsin al-`Abbād, Sh. Sa`ūd ash-Shuraym and Sh. Sālih al-Fawzān.

The Mu'allif's (author's) way of writing the poem is that, in every line he has three instructions and then the goal that will achieved by following the three instructions (which will be in the end of the line)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Inshaa'Allaah we will begin today.

The following are the participating members:

1) your-sister
2) Allahknowsbest
3) friend263
4) Aapa
5) Kashif Nazeer
6) Suhaanah
7) Seeking Allah's Mercy
8) IbnAdam

Following are some rules that I would everyone to stick- for those who are participating and those who are not.

Participating Members

1) You should post your answer in your own words.

2) You are allowed to research from anywhere- as long as you write the post in your own words.

3) There is no set limit as to how long the answer should be- it's really up to you. You can answer a question with a line or an essay (though this would make it a bit harder for me lol).

4) If your answer is based on a fatwa from IslamQA or some article from elsewhere- then please try and provide reference for it. This is incase the members understand an article incorrectly, then this can be pointed out.

5) As mentioned previously- you are allowed to copy & paste ayaat from the Qur'aan or ahaadeeth.

6) Please do not discuss the answers with other members, make sure you do your own work. This is for the sake of your own learning.

Non-Participating Members

1) If you know the answers to the questions- then please do not post it here.

2) Anyone who is not participating is free to read through the commentaries and benefit from it inshaa'Allaah.

What I will also do is... before starting a new line of poetry, I will delete all the un-relevant posts from the thread. This is so that people can easily read through the thread.

I am just going to leave all the answers the participating members posted and the rules.

That is all I can remember. If anyone thinks that these rules are not good enough- then please feel free to suggest otherwise... Please VM me.

With all that being said- we are ready to start :- )

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
:bismillah:

The author, may Allaah have mercy on him, said:

تمسك بحبلِ الله وأتبعِ الهُدى ولا تكُ بدعيا لعلك تُفلحُ
(1) Hold tightly to the rope of Allaah and the guidance. And do not be an innovator, so that you might be successful.

----------------------------​

Question 1- To be answered by Allahknowsbest, friend263

The author gives us an instruction to hold firm to the "Rope of Allaah". What does the author mean by the Rope of Allaah? Is there any basis for "Rope of Allaah" in the Qur'aan or sunnah?

Question 2- To be answered by your-sister and Aapa

The author instructs us: 'Do not be a Bid`ee (an Innovator).'
Does this mean- that if I invent a car or microphone or use a computer (for example) then I am innovator? Why or why not?

Question 3- To be answered by Kashif and suhaanah

The author in this line of poetry gives us three instructions- which if we were to follow... we will get a specific result.

What are the three instructions and what will be the result for following these three instructions

Question 4- Seeking Allah's Mercy

Answer all 3 questions- but after everyone has answered.

Inshaa'Allaah we are starting off a bit easy. Hopefully, it will get slightly more challenging next time.

I will wait for the next two days (maximum) for all the participating members to give an answer. The quicker you all answer- the quicker we can go through the text.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

your-sister

Salaam alaikum.

Question #2: wa laa taku bid3iyyan... And do not be a mubtadi3(a person of bid3ah, in other words; an innovator).

Answering your Q; no, not bid'ah in that sense.

Allah (swt) says, "Al-yawma akmaltu lakum deenakum wa atmamtu 'alaykum ni'matii wa radiitu lakim-ul-islama deena" - "...This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion.."
Meaning the deen is already complete, there's no need whatsoever to bring any type of new innovation as Abu Hurairah narrated, "every way that you can get closer to Allah, the prophet showed you and everything leading to hell is exposed to you."

Innovation, here, is meant deen-wise.

Allah isn't one to forget; He's not forgetful.(wa maa kaana Rabbuka nassiyya.) so He did not forget anything when completing the deen.

Allah azza wa jall also says, "Maa farraqnaa fil-Kitaabi min shay'.."- "we have not neglected anything in this Kitaan(Qur'an).." The guidance of the book of Allaah is Complete.
The prophet, salla-Allaahu alayhi wa sallam, said in a hadeeth,
"Man 'amila 'amalan laysa 'alaihi amrunaa fahuwa Raddun" -"whoever that does an action that's not up our affair, then he will have it rejected."

He also said, "Man ahdatha fii amrinaa haadhaa maa laysa minhu fahuwa raddun" -"anyone who invents anything into this affair of ours, he will have it RejecteD!"

what ibn dawood means by an innovator.. a mubtadi3, is one who brings or invents anything new - after Allâah has perfected it(the deen) and the messenger has conveyed all that is right and wrong - into the Islaam.

In another surah, Al-hashr, 7th ayah, Allaah azza wa jall says, "wa maa aataakum ar-rasool fakhudhuuh wa maa nahaakum 'anha fantahuu.." - "and whatsoever the messenger gives you, take hold of it and what he forbids you, then abstain(from it).."

Allah azza wa jall, besides his book, has sent us the messenger as a means of guidance. So then if we make-up newly innovated acts, it becomes bid'ah for it wasn't among what he 'gave us'..conveyed to us.

All in All, if Allâh (swt) has already perfected and completed the deen for us, anything else added on to it becomes an innovation...

wallahu a'lam.

Ma'ssalaamah.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

(1) Hold tightly to the rope of Allaah and the guidance. And do not be an innovator, so that you might be successful.

The author in this line of poetry gives us three instructions- which if we were to follow... we will get a specific result.

What are the three instructions and what will be the result for following these three instructions

[/CENTER]

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Assalamu alykum WaRahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

The instructions are:

1) To hold tightly to the rope of Allah ,i.e. the Qur'an.
As it says in the Qur'an::

And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided.(Surah 'Ali 'Imran(3:103)

2) To hold firmly to the guidance which is in Qur'an,it will guide us to the straight path.

2)And not to be an innovator(in deen).That implies not to be the one who adds anything new to the deen.
As it says in the Qur'an about the innovators :

Allah has not appointed [such innovations as] bahirah or sa'ibah or wasilah or ham. But those who disbelieve invent falsehood about Allah , and most of them do not reason.Surat Al-Ma'idah(5:103)

Also it says in Surat Al Hadid about Christians who innovated:

Then We sent following their footsteps Our messengers and followed [them] with Jesus, the son of Mary, and gave him the Gospel. And We placed in the hearts of those who followed him compassion and mercy and monasticism, which they innovated; We did not prescribe it for them except [that they did so] seeking the approval of Allah . But they did not observe it with due observance. So We gave the ones who believed among them their reward, but many of them are defiantly disobedient.(57:27)

Result:The result obtained if we follow the three instructions is that we will be successful.
About those who are successful ,it says in the Qur'an:

Everyone shall taste death. And only on the Day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing).Surah 'Ali 'Imran(3:185)

Wa alykumassalaam.

xAllahKnowsBestx

The author gives us an instruction to hold firm to the "Rope of Allaah". What does the author mean by the Rope of Allaah? Is there any basis for "Rope of Allaah" in the Qur'aan or sunnah?

Allah says in the Qur'an: And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. (Al Imran 3:103)

The rope of Allah is the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw:. By this, the author is instructing the Muslims to hold onto the Qur'an and Sunnah as Allah swt commanded.

The Prophet :saw: said: "Indeed, the people of the Book before you split-up into seventy-two sects. And this nation will split-up into seventy-three sects, seventy two are in the Fire and one is in Paradise."

To be of the believers mentioned in this^ hadith, we've been commanded to strictly adhere to the Qur'an and Sunnah. Nothing more and nothing less. Instead of being warned of falling into other religions, we've also been warned of falling into one of the 72 deviated sects that would surely lead us to hellfire. Allah swt has provided us guidance, the Qur'an and the Sunnah, hence the word "rope" being used. It's the only straight path, and anything out of this path is misguidance. There are so many ways to be misguided, but only one way to be guided.

PS: I was going to use this hadith but wasn't sure if it was authentic: "The Book of Allah is the Rope of Allah extending from the heavens to the earth." If it is, then that explains a lot as well. :)

your-sister

Salaam alaikum wa rahmatullah.

"Suhaanah's" Answer...

*Question #3*

The three instructions are;
1)Tamassak bi hablillaah - Hold tight to the rope of Allaah SWT.
2)Wat-tabi`il-Hudaa - And follow the guidance.
3)Wa laa taku bid`iiy - And don't be an innovator.

The The result is 'La`allaka Tuflihu' - So that you might become successful.

1)Habl=Rope.
Allaah SWT instructs us to 'Hold tight', all of us, to His rope so as to not be divided in Surat Aal-`imraan, ayah 103.
Many scholars/mufassiroon(Like ibn Al-qayyim) agree that by "Rope" Allaah SWT meant The Qur'aan. Sh. saleh Fawzaan said in his translation of this line, "Habl of Allaah is the revelation Allaah sent down", meaning the Qur'aan.
The Prophet- sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam- said, in a hadeeth of Saariyah, "Fa innahuu man ya`ish minkum fasayara ikhtilaafan katheera" Meaning, And verily those who live long amongst you, they're going to see alot of differing. The prophet's warning that "differing" will occur amongst his people is proof enough to Hold Firm unto the Qur'aan and, as Allaah SWT said, not be divided.
In another hadeeth, Allaah's Apostle says, "Fa `alaykum bisunnatii wa sunnat khulafaa'ur-raashideen Al-mahdiyyeen min ba`adih.." - And so Upon you is to hold tight to my sunnah and the sunnah of the rightly guided khalifs, after me. The Khulafaa's sunnah is the same as the prophet's. And so he said, after he passes, to still stay on the straight path and to hold onto the sunnah of those after him(the Khulafaa').

And in another hadeeth he says to basically "Bite tightly to his Sunnah with our back molars" - "Tamasaakuu bihaa wa `adh-dhuu `alayhaa binawaajif.." so if one holds(bites) onto the 'sunnah' as tight as that, they won't be mislead as there won't be any room for misleading acts(there's no space for it in between the molars so long as they're holding that 'rope' tightly).
Also in a different hadeeth, the prophet tells us three things in which Allaah is pleased for us..
"Allaah is pleased for you with three things(Inna-Allaaha yardaakum thalaathah, An ta`buduuh walaa tushrikuu bihii shay'aa, wa an ta`tasimuu bihablillaahi jamee`an, wa laa tafarraquu..): That you worship Him and don't make any shirk in your worship for Him, and to Hold Tight to the Rope of Allaah, together, and that you do not become divided..

2)Wat-tabi`il hudaa - And follow the guidance.

Allaah SWT says in Surat Tawbah, ayah#33, "And He's the one who sent the messenger with Guideance and religion of truth to make it prevail over every other religion, even if the polytheists detest that"

Sheikh saleh Fawazaan said, Hudaa(guidance) in this ayah is Al-`ilmun-naafi`(The beneficial knowledge) and deen al-haqq is Al-`amalus-saalih(The righteous actions).

'Hudaa'/ Hidaayah is said to have 2 meanings,
One that is affirmed for the Prophet(Muhammad saw) and one that is negated from him.

Allaah says is surat Qasas, ayah#56, To the prophet, "Innaka LAA tahdii man ahbabt.." - "you do Not guide whom you love" - "wa-laa-kinna Allaaha yahdii man yashaa'.."- "Rather it is Allaah who guides whom He wills.."
Narrated Al-Musayyab: when Abu Talib was on his death bead, the prophet went to him while Abû Jahl was sitting beside him. The prophet said: "O my uncle! Say Lâ ilaaha illallaah, and expression with which I will defend your case, before Allaah." Abu Jahl and `Abdullah bin Ummayyah said:"O Abu Talib! Will you leave the religion of Abdul Muttalib?" so they kept on saying this to him so that his last statement he said to them(before he died) was: "I am on the religion of Abdul Muttalib."
Then the prophet- sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam- said: " I will keep on asking for Allaah's Forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden to do so." And then the following ayah was revealed: " Maa kaana Linnabiy.."- " It is not proper for the prophet and those who believe , to ask Allaah's forgiveness for the Mushrikoon even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are dwellers of the Fire." in surat Tawbah, ayah#113.
The other verse that was also revealed is the mentioned one above(Qasas:56)
So Allaah negates guidance from the prophet, because guidance is for Him alone. He guides whom He will, Glory be to Him.

Another ayaah that some scholars call "Mushkil-ul-Qur'aan" because they(this ayah and the one in Qasas) seem to "contradict" each other is, "Wa innaka LaTahdii ilaa siraatil Mustaqeem.." - "verily, you(O Muhammad) guide to the straight path" surat Shuuraa', Ayah#52. This(hidaayah) is what is called, "Ad-dilaalah, wa-al-ishaara, wat-ta`leem" The guidance of 'calling', 'educating' and 'showing' people the right way.

So really, there's no contradiction here because the hidaayah that was affirmed for him is the one most of us do nowadays; calling people to the deen; doing da`wah. And the one negated from him is "Al-hidaayatul quloob"- turning or changing of the hearts to make some someone accept the haqq. That kind of power is only for Allaah as He is the "Muqallibal quloob" - Turner of the hearts.
The two hidaayahs are, the "teaching and guiding" which the prophet was allowed to do(as any of us are) and the "actual changing" of the heart which Allaah SWT alone can do.

There's one more type of hidaayah as well. Like in surat Faatiha, "Ihdina as-siraatal mustaqeem" - Guide us unto the straight path. It's called something along the lines of "Hidaayha ath-thabat" in Arabic. It's when you were already taught and shown the way and Allaah ta`aala has turned your heart(to the right path), BUT now you're asking for guidance from Him to "keep" you in that path because you want to stick to it(right path) and not change.

your-sister

...had to cut suhaanah's answer into two parts. Was a bit too long.

3)Wa laa taku bid`iyyan - And don't be an innovator.

The prophets sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said in a hadeeth: Tamassakuu bihaa(Hold tight to it(my sunnah)) wa `adh-dhuu `alaihaa binawaajif(And bite tightly to it with you back molars) wa Iyyaakum bimuhdathaat-al-umoor(And be warned against newly invented matters) fa inna kulla muhdathatin bid`ah wa kulla bid`atin dalaalah wa kulla dalaalatin finnaar(And for newly invented matter there's an innovation and for every innovation there's astraying and astraying leads to naar(Hell fire).

In this hadeeth, the prophet warns us of being Mubtadi`s and its consequences...which will be becoming a fuel for Naar..! So there's a great deal of harm in it, which is why the mu'allif instructs us to Not become one.

*Wa la`allaka tuflihu..

Notice how it is La`allaka, meaning "might be"... Well, as sheikh saleh said, in our `aqeedah, we are to be 'hopeful' when wishing for something. One can't know for "sure" that all his acts and `ibaadah will be accepted so it's always best to stay hopeful. As ibn dawood did. He said "so that you Might Be successful" not so that you "will be"...
Hold tight to Allaah's Qur'aan and follow the prophet's sunnah and Insha'Allah, you'll succeed in this life and the hereafter.

**And...that's all. This was all from suhaanah's notes. All I did was just type it up for her. Looks like she has listened to sh.saleh Fawzaan's translation of this.. Oh and brother Thaariq, she said "the explanation and all may not be needed for my question but i couldn't just..not take advantage of using my notes. Hope it's alright inshaa'Allah."

Salaam alaikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

So the question you are asking me to answer is if I understand it:

How do we justify using our brains and not be innovators in faith.

We are told the Rope of Allah is the Quran. And the word is Rope. A rope has many strands. The measurements of the Rope is not defined for us. The Quran is as deep and profound as one wishes to seek knowledge.
Allah is the source of all knowledge. Did He not tell us all the ink in the oceans would not be enough for Him to share His knowledge. His knowledge is Perfect.
We can seek from His Knowledge all we want. He sends us Guidance as He wishes.

Did He not give Dawud chain-mail? Did not all armies henceforth use it in battles.

What does having simple tools that benefit all mankind have to do with innovation.
Technology by itself is benign. It is the intention that we have to use the technology. A knife can be used to cut meat or stab another human. The use of the tool is the question.

Ancient Egyptians in the time of Suleiman used saws that were 35 feet in diameter. Technology is just a way we make life easier for ourselves.

Think of this: medicine. The field of medicine is to help people when they are sick. Think of the doctors who are cosmetic surgeons. How can you go into the field of medicine and perform cosmetic surgery to make a person look better? It is how do you employ knowledge. It is the intention and action of the use of knowledge.

We took the burden of acting responsibly. We took the role of care-taker. We did this to our Lord.

Now as to a more specific answer..this is for the cut and paste generation:

bid`a is a novelty in religion, not any novelty. Things like TV, telephone and cars are novelties, but they are not bida` (plural of bid`a).

What is a novelty in religion? It’s anything that is added to the religion, removed from it or changes it. Saying that the number of prayers is now six, instead of five, would be a bid`a, for instance.

To create a bid`a, one would have to either mandate something that is not mandated, or forbid something that is not forbidden. Only God can mandate or forbid when it comes to religion. By delegation from God, so could the Prophet, peace be upon him.

This is a serious matter. God warns people often in the Quran not to say, “this is allowed and this is not allowed!” Consider,

“And do not say untruth about what your tongues assert, ‘This is lawful and this is unlawful,’ to invent falsehood about God. Indeed, those who invent falsehood about God will not prosper.” (16:116)

and

“Say, ‘Have you seen what God has sent down to you of provision of which you have made [some] lawful and [some] unlawful?’ Say, ‘Has God permitted you [to do so], or do you invent [something] about God?’ ” (10:59)

One seeking to serve Allah would only perpetuate good. The intention of one who wishes to do good is good.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

I am so sorry for being unaware of this wonderful thread before. Now its too late for me to join. :(

So sad. :(

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

My beloved brother :- )

You can still join it- as we are still in the first line of poetry... so if you want to join, then answer the first question and take part inshaa'Allaah

It's not about takign another member's place. All I want is, people to understand the poem from the start till the end... not from halfway through, thus missing out on some beneficial points mentioned by the author rahimahullaah.

May Allaah increase you khayr

@Seeking Allaah's Mercy- You might as well answer your question. I think you been holding back for quite some time now. Apologies.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

friend263

Assalamualaikum

My understanding to the question is that we have to hold the rope of Allah which means that we have to firmly believe in the quran which is the book of Allah and to the sunna of prophet muhammed salallahu alaihiwasallim.. And we can neither subtract nor add a single word of our own coz that is bidah. Which is not allowed and if we do so we will be the dwellers of hell fire.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalam 'ALaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Aapa, I would like we all to participate and learn together inshaAllah. NOT having your place. :) JazakiAllahu khairan katheeran for your kindness.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

My beloved brother :- )

You can still join it- as we are still in the first line of poetry... so if you want to join, then answer the first question and take part inshaa'Allaah

It's not about takign another member's place. All I want is, people to understand the poem from the start till the end... not from halfway through, thus missing out on some beneficial points mentioned by the author rahimahullaah.

May Allaah increase you khayr

@Seeking Allaah's Mercy- You might as well answer your question. I think you been holding back for quite some time now. Apologies.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

JazakAllahu khairan katheeran brother, for giving me the opportunity to participate. :)

Question 1

Allah says in Surah Aal-Imran, Verse 103, "And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided."

"to the Rope of Allah" refers to Allah's covenant, just as Allah said in the Verse 112 of this same Surah (which is Surah Aal-Imran). "They have been put under humiliation [by Allah] wherever they are overtaken, except for a covenant from Allah and a rope from the Muslims. And they have drawn upon themselves anger from Allah and have been put under destitution. That is because they disbelieved in the verses of Allah and killed the prophets without right. That is because they disobeyed and [habitually] transgressed." - Tafseer Ibn Katheer -

Question 2

Does this mean- that if I invent a car or microphone or use a computer (for example) then I am innovator? Why or why not?

They are NOT Bid'ahs. Because in Islam, a Bid'ah is called to any newly invented matter brought in to the Religion, which are not in Quran, Sunnah and/or Ijmaa'.

Bid'ee is the Originator of a new thing. Allah says in Surah al-Baqarah, Verse 117, “Badei' (the Originator) of the heavens and the earth.”

"….and the best speech is the Speech of Allah, and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (sallallhu alahi wa-sallam), and the worst of all affairs are the newly invented matters (in the religion)" [Saheeh Muslim]

Some people use this Hadith to make some of the things like which you mentioned above are Haram in Islam. (Do not be surprised, yes there are some people. Even I met few.) However, a Hadith's meaning can only be known with studying the similar Hadiths on the topic too, according to the Muhadditheen (Scholars of Hadith). When we read the following Hadith, the problem is solved.

"Whosoever introduces into this religion of ours that which is not a part of it then it must be rejected” [Ahmad]

Question 3

Three instructions are:

1. Holding on the rope of Allah and His guidance.
2. When we hold it, we MUST do it TIGHTLY so that nothing can make us separate our hands from the rope.
3. Do not be an innovator (Bid'ee).

The specific result is:

Being among the successful.[/QUOTE]

Since you have not mentioned a specific question to me, I meant it as the same with sister Seeking Allah's Mercy. :) Hope I did not break any rule.

Wassalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh Brothers and Sisters,

Here are my answers:

Question:1​

He said: "Tamask" Hold tight, bi hablillah" to the rope of Allaah.

The poet took this from the following ayah of the Quraan:

And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided.(Surah 'Ali 'Imran(3:103)

Explanation of the Rope of Allaah

The salaf explained the meaning of "Hablullah" = "Rope of Allaah" in the following ways:

1)By Abdullah ibn mas'ood.

He was student of Ibn Abbas:

He said: Rope of Allah is the Al jamaa'aa. "hold firm to the Jama'aa, all of you, and do not divide."Jama'aa is,as he explain himself: " Maa wafiqal haqq walo kunthu waahdak". It means the Jamaa is "what ever agrees with the truth even if you on your own" so the measuring stick is the truth and not the numbers. The truth here means The Quraan and the Sunnah according to way the Salaf.

This is taken from the hadeeth of the prophet:saw:. He :saw: said: "This nation will split-up into seventy-three sects, seventy two are in the Fire and one is in Paradise."

In one narration he was asked "who are they, Oh messenger of Allah:saw". He replied: "whoever is upon what I am upon today and my companions."

And in another narration:"Al jama'aa."

So according to Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood the rope of Allaah is "Al Jamaa'a",

Imaam Al buhari said: "The Jama'aa is the foundation of the deen.Whoever takes it from other than them have Innovate".

2) By Mujahid:

He said the "Hablullah = Rope of Allaah" is the contract or convonant that one has with Allaah. Which means to worhsip Allaah alone without associating partners with Him.

Allah says in Surah Ma'idah verse:1

"O you who have believed, fulfill [all] contracts."

The first convonant that humans have made is to worship Allaah alone:

"Worship Allaah alone and donot associate partners to Him". [Soorat-ul-An’aam: 151]

So according to Mujahid it is "Hold firm to the Tawheed of Allaah all of you and do not divide".

3)By Addahak and Qatadah:

They say that "Hablullah = Rope of Allaah" is the Quraan. So it is "Hold firm to the Quraan all of you and do not divide".

4) By Abul 'Aali'ya:

He said that the Rope of Allaah is Ikhlaas i.e SIncerety.

5)By Abu bakr (may Allah be pleased with him):

According to Abu Bakr As Siddique The Rope of "Allaah is the Sunnah".

So when Allah Sobhanuhu wa ta'aala says in Surah Al- Imran Hold firm to the Rope of Allah ( i.e The Jama'aa, At Tawheed, to The Quraan and the Sunnah with sincerity)

That is why Shiekh Saleh Al fawzan in his explanation of "Tamasuk bi habl Lillah". He said "Habl of Allaah" is the "Quraan and Sunnah". This explanation includes all five of the above explanation. Furthur to support his view Sheikh Saleh fawzan mentions the following hadeeth:

"Those of you who live long enough to see (a lot of) divisions, so upon you is sticking to my sunnah and the sunnah of my companions (may Allah be pleased with them) after me. Hold firm to it with the molars of your teeth. And stay away from newly invented matters. Verily every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in Hellfire.

From this we can conclude that the Asl, The origan or Foundation is What the Prophet:saw: was upon and his companions after him. i.e following the way of the Salaf. Any body who goes away from this has left the rope of Allaah. So this is a very very strong advice by this Imaam When he said "tamasuk bi hablillah". The prophet of Allaah:saw: said (narrated by Anas): "The best of generation is my generation (The Asahab) then those after them (The tabaieens) and then those after them (The atba Taba'een)".

So the Divisions of the Ummah is due to those Muslims who have turned away from the Jama'aa i.e The rope of Allaah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Question 2- To be answered by your-sister and Aapa

Question:2
No, this is not Bid'aah in the deen. Bid'aah is when something is added to the Deen of Allaah. Something that has no basis in the Quraan and Sunnah and reward or punishment is specified for it.

The poet tells us to beware of being from the people of Innovation. Don't be an Bid'ee (Innovator) so that you may be successful.

Linguistically Bid'aah is "That which was introduce and it was not there before i.e it's new".

Bid'aah according to the Deen. In his book Al-Ahtisam, Imaam As shatibi says:" Bid'aah, innovation is,

1) A part that is taken in the religion.

2) It's newly invented.

3) It is [somewhat] similar to the Deen.

4) The intent behind it is to worship Allaah.

If it was part of the duniya and not specifically the Deen then it will not be called bid'aah. Example: New building, new computers, new designs etc. And then the second point i.e it wasn't in the religion before.

Then the Third point is important: The innovators brings into the deen something that is close to the deen, so people don't get it straight away.

Imaam Shaitibi says:

"verily the person of Innovation introduces this matter (i.e Bid'aah) so that it's similar to the revelation or similar to the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw:, so he can "fool" others with it". He mentions examples:

1) How a type of worship is done.

For Example: if we have dikhr. Allaah says: "Remember me and I will remember you". Dhikr is legislated in the deen, but the Bid'ee will use this saying of Allaah and justify them going in circles in says "Allaah" over and over again. And they do this in congregation. He's making Dhikr but "how?" he's doing it is "innovated".

Imaam Ahmed mentions this in Tabaqaat Al Hanabila:

"The person of innovation is like a scorpion. Where his head and his and his pincers are hidden in the ground, And when he has an apportunity then he comes out".

As Allaah said in Surah Al-Ma'idah ayah :3

"This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion."

So whoever innovates in this "perfected" Deen, is like a scorpion who waits hidden till he gets the chance to sting according to Imaam Ahmad.

2)Another type is "When" the act of worship is done.

For Example: fasting in the month of Ramadan is Obligatory. Fasting anytime of the year other than Ramadan believing it to be Obligatory is Bid'aah. Like the Some people fasat month of Shabaan, they believe it's obligatory. Though it has no basis in the Quraan and Sunnah.

Ruling on Bid'aah:

The Ruling on Bid'aah is that it is Haraam. The prophet:saw: said in Hadeeth of 'Aishya:

"Whoever does an action that is not from our affair then it's rejected (weather it is innovation or sins) [Sahih Muslim].

For example. Marriage of women without a wali, or haram business transaction.

The hadeeth of 'Aisha which is specific for Innovation is in Sahih Bukhari:

"Whoever introduces a newly invented matter in our affair that is not from it, is rejected.

Viewing the Explanation of Shatibi ( of why division is caused in the Ummah), we can see that "HOW" a road to bidaah is paved:

i) People taking other than Ulaama as point of referance.

This comes from the advice of Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood. He says in a hasan narration: " Upon you is knowledge, seek knowledge before its taken away. For verily its taken away by the death of it people (The Scholars). Upon you is knowledge. You'll soon see a people who claim to follow the book of Allaah ( call themselves scholars). Rather the book of Allaah is behind their backs ( They ignore it). So upon you is knowledge, be aware of Innovations and philosophy. And upon is that you follow that which is from "Old" ( The way of the Salaf).

Umer Ibn Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

"Be aware of the People of Opinion, The hadeeth of the Prophet:saw: have become to tiring for them to memorize. So they speak with their own opinion. So they become astray and lead others astray.

ii) The people who follow their desires instead of the Quraan and Sunnah:

Ahlul bid'aah follow their desires and do not look for answers in the Quraan and sunnah. This is why they are categorised by Sheikh Saleh Fawzan as people who have no knowledge and act heedlessly without it. Scholars have also named them as "Alhul Ahwa" The people of Desires.

Tawoos Ibn Kaisan Al yamani said: " Allaah sobhanuhu wa ta'aal never mentioned desires in the Quraan but in a positive light".

Allaah sobhanuhu wa ta'aala said:

"who is more astray than the one who follows his desires instead of the guidance of Allaah" [Al-Qasas 28:50]

Abduranman Al mehdi says, a man came to Ibraheem An Nakha'ee (A Taba'ee) and asked: "which of the desires is good?" He replied:'' Allaah hasn't made a mustard seed's worth of good in desires. It is not except a beautifcation of the shaitan. The affair should be return the first affair i.e The salaf.

Abdullah Ibn Abbas says: "Desires all of them is deviance."

iii) The reason is because poeple follow their forefather and following the opinions of men.

Allaah has mentioned many times in the Quraan that when guidance is sent to Man he says: "We found our forefathers worshiping these {false} dieties".

'Ali Ibn Abi Talib said: People are known by the Truth, and truth is not known by people. " i.e We know the truth from the Quraan and the Sunnah and we judge is according to it.

People of Innovation judge the truth by people and personalities instead of Quraan and the Sunnah and they are lead astray. So the Poet advices us to beware of Bid'aah and not be a Bid'ee i.e An annovator.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

Question:3
The three Lessons are:

1) Lesson One:

Hold on to the Rope of Allaah. This is explained in detail in answer to Question 1.

2) Lesson Two:

Wa taa bil Hudaa "and follow the Guidance".

"Al-Hudaa" means guidance.

Guidance is that which the prophet was sent with

"It is He who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to manifest it over all religion, although they who associate others with Allah dislike it."
[Surah Tawbah:33]

Allah send the Messenger:saw: with:

i)Al hudaa- Guidance.

Sheikh Saleh Fawzan in explanation of this verse said: "Al-Hudaa i.e Guidance is beneficial knowledge".

ii) Deenil Haqq- The correct Religion:
"Deen Ul Haqq is "acting" upon that knowledge".

In Surah Fatiha Allah says: "Guide us to the straight path - The path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked [Your] anger or of those who are astray". {6-7]

We ask Allah to guide us to the path, The path

1) of those you have favoured.

This is the path in which the individual have beneficial knowledge (i.e Knowledge of deen) and acts upon it. Sucess is only by joining the knowledge with action upon it.

2) Not of those, who recieve your anger:

This is the path of those who have knowledge but are not acting upon it.

3)Not of those who are astray:

This path is the one, followed by people having no knowledge and are acting without knowldge heedlessly. This is the case of Sufis.

Sheikh Zaid Al madkhali classified knowledge into three different catergories:

1) A person who has knowledge and he'll be rewarded for it
(i.e He acts on the knowledge of deen that he has). Such people fear Allah most as Allaah says:

"Only those fear Allah, from among His servants, who have knowledge". [Surah Fatir :28]

2)Knowledge which is beneficial but it doesn't benefit the individual.
(because he doesn't act upon it).

In a hadith narrated by Abu Huraira, the prophet:saw: seeks refuge from many things. One of which is "Knowledge that is not beneficial".

3)The knowledge itself is of no benefit. Such as Magic, Knowledge of Kuffar and the people of innovation:

"And when their messengers came to them with clear proofs, they [merely] rejoiced in what they had of knowledge". [Surah Ghafir:83]

Mujahid
said that the knowledge mentioned here is what the disbelievers claim to be knowledge, In reality it is ignorance.

Ibn al Qayyim says in his Nuniyah:

"Knowledge is what Allaah says, what the Prophets:saw: say and what the companions say".

Abdurahman As sa'eedi said:

"This (unbeneficial knowledge) is the knowledge which is not from the deen, which is not from the Sunnah and that which is not from the revelation".

Umer Ibn Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

"Be aware of the People of Opinion, The hadeeth of the Prophet:saw: have become to tiring for them to memorize. So they speak with their own opinion. So they become astray and lead others astray".

Sheikh Saleh Fawzan explained that guidance is of two types:

1) Irshad-e-Khair:

This comprises of advice, giving directions and giving clarification. This is the job of the Prophet of Allaah Peace and blessings be upon them. And the people who follow their guidance i.e The people of knowledge and those who are on Haqq-truth:

Allaah sobhanuhu wa ta'aala says:

"And We sent a messenger to every nation to worship Allah and to denounce the Taaghoot (the false deities)". [soorah AnNahl: 36]

In Surah Shoora Allaah says:

"And indeed, [O Muhammad], you guide to a straight path - " [verse:52]

2) Hidayat-e-tawfeeq:

This type of guidance is the guidance from Allaah. As Allah the most high says:

"Verily, you (O Muhammad) guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills. And He knows best those who are the guided." [Qasas: 56]

3) Lesson Three:
And do not be a bid'ee. This has been explined in detail in answer to Question 2.

Result:

Whoever follows these three lessons will be successful in Duniya and Akhira. These three conditions ensure that the person is from the saved sect and is on the straight path, As can be seen by many evidences quoted in explanation of each lesson.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
The Mu'allif [author] gives the first instruction تَمسَّـكْ بحَـبْلِ اللهِ "Hold tightly to the rope of Allaah"

'Tamassuk' is to hold firm. 'Habl' is the rope of Allaah, and this is like the saying of Allaah:

وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُو
"And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah and be not divided among yourselves ….[Soorah aal `Imraan: 103]"

The majority of the Mufassiroon (commentators of the Qur'aan), from them is Ibn Qayyim and others, said that this rope (Habl) means the Qur'aan. And the evidence for that is when Allaah said in Soorah al-A`raaf: 170
وَالَّذِينَ يُمَسِّكُونَ بِالْكِتَابِ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ إِنَّا لَا نُضِيعُ أَجْرَ الْمُصْلِحِينَ
And as for those who hold fast to the Book and perform As-Salat, certainly, We shall never waste the reward of those who do righteous deeds.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan explained in his sharh of Haa'iyyah that the Habl of Allaah (rope of Allaah) means the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Imaam al-Nawawi mentioned that it means the Covenant of Allaah. Imaam al-Tabari mentioned that it means the Religion of Allaah. Others mentioned that it means Al-Tawheed and so on and so forth. These are not differences of opinion where we can say one opinion is definitely the strongest opinion, rather these are complimentary differences.

Imaam Muslim, Imaam Ahmad and others reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam said:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَرْضَى لَكُمْ ثَلَاثًا، وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ ثَلَاثًا: يَرْضَى لَكُمْ أَنْ تَعْبُدُوهُ وَلَا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا، وَأَنْ تَعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا، وَأَنْ تُنَاصِحُوا مَنْ وَلَّاهُ اللَّهُ أَمْرَكُمْ، وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ قِيلَ وَقَالَ، وَإِضَاعَةَ الْمَالِ، وَكَثْرَةَ السُّؤَالِ
Verily Allaah is pleased with three things for you and He is angry with three things for you: He is pleased with you that you worship Him alone and you do not associate any partners with Him, that you hold fast to the rope of Allaah and not divide among yourselves and that you sincerely advise those whom Allaah has appointed as leaders over you. And He is angry with you for spreading gossip, wasting money and asking too many questions.

The reason he (i.e. the author) mentions rope is because it is tangible, and if you were to hold tight to this rope, then you will be saved from the pits of the Hell-Fire. Thus, the mu`allif (author) instructs to hold firm onto the Qur'aan, and if the person stands firm upon the Qur'aan; then Allaah gives him Glad Tidings:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ قَالُوا رَبُّنَا اللَّهُ ثُمَّ اسْتَقَامُوا تَتَنَزَّلُ عَلَيْهِمُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ أَلَّا تَخَافُوا وَلَا تَحْزَنُوا وَأَبْشِرُوا بِالْجَنَّةِ الَّتِي كُنتُمْ تُوعَدُونَ

"Verily, those who say: "Our Lord is Allah (Alone)," and then they Istaqamoo (stood firm), on them the angels will descend (at the time of their death) (saying): "Fear not, nor grieve! But receive the glad tidings of Paradise which you have been promised! [Soorah al-Fussilat:30]"

And He, Subhaanah, also said:
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ قَالُوا رَبُّنَا اللَّهُ ثُمَّ اسْتَقَامُوا فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
"Verily, those who say: 'Our Lord is (only) Allah,' and thereafter Istaqamoo (i.e. stood firm and straight on the Islamic Faith of Monotheism by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allah has forbidden and by performing all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained), on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. [Soorah al-'Ahqaaf: 13]"

Thus, though this a person becomes the Walee of Allaah (Friend of Allaah) and is the one who is saved from the pits of Hell-Fire, and Allaahu `Azza wa Jall describes the Awliyaa' (Friends of Allaah) in Soorah Yunus: 62-64:
أَلَا إِنَّ أَوْلِيَاءَ اللَّهِ لَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
"No doubt! Verily, the Awliya of Allah, no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.

الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَكَانُوا يَتَّقُونَ
Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and used to fear Allah much (by abstaining from evil deeds and sins and by doing righteous deeds).

لَهُمُ الْبُشْرَىٰ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ ذَٰلِكَ هُوَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ
For them are glad tidings, in the life of the present world (i.e. righteous dream seen by the person himself or shown to others), and in the Hereafter. No change can there be in the Words of Allah, this is indeed the supreme success."

General information about the Qur'aan

The Qur'aan is divided into two: Al Muhkam and Al Mutashaabih

Al-Muhkam:
• The general Muhkam. It encompasses all of the Qur'aan (i.e all of the qur'aan is eloquent, perfect etc)
• The specific Muhkam: Some of the verses of the Qur'aan fall in this category. These are the verses that are clear, leaving no room for speculation nor doubt. And it indicates to one particular thing... and it has no other interpretation other than what the ayah indicates.

Al-Mutashaabih

• The general mutashaabih: The whole of the Qur'aan is described in this way, which means that all of the verses in the Qur'aan resemble each other.
• The specific type of mutashaabih: This is of two types, 1) No one knows the true meaning of it (Allaah's Knowledge, Attributes, Face etc) 2) An Nisbee: And this is when some people know and most do not know. This is where the people who have reached a high level of knowledge, know about these. This is due to their deep rooted knowledge.

The Qur'aan has three stages to its compilation:

1) During the time of the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam and this was by memorizing

2) During the time of Abu Bakr, the 12th year of Hijri in the battle of Al-Yamaamah, a large number of Qurra (reciters) were martyred. So `Umar took the initiative to compile the Qur'aan. Abu Bakr who refused earlier, later on agreed to compile it and all the sahaabah agreed to it. Abu Bakar then told Zayd ibn Thaabit to gather the Qur'aan

3) During the time of `Uthmaan, there were differences in the recitation of the Qur'aan. He (i.e `Uthmaan) got four from the sahaabah [Zayd ibn Thaabit, `Abdullaah ibn az-Zubayr, Sa`eed ibn al `Aas, `AbdurRahmaan ibn al Haarith] to gather all the qur'aan. He then ordered the Qur'aan to be written in the Qurayshi dialect and the rest of the Qur'aans to be burnt. [RadiyAllaahu `anhum]

-------------------​

واتَّبِع الهُـدَى "And follow the guidance" and this is referring to following the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam [This is the second instruction].

Indeed in the following of the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam lies the love of Allaah! And this is like the saying of Allaahu Subhaanah:
قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ

"Say (O Muhammad sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you..." [Soorah aal-`Imraan: 31]

From the way of believing in the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam is:

1) To believe in every single thing he, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam, has come with,

2) To obey every command of the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam: It was not from the madh-hab of the sahaabah to differentiate between waajib and mustahabb, or haraam and makrooh (The Sahaabah never used to ask whether an act was Waajib or Mustahabb, rather they heard and obeyed)

3) Anything that the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam prohibited, then you avoid.

4) And not to worship Allaah except by the way of the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam

-------------------​

The Mu'allif then mentions the third instruction: ولا تَـكُ بِدْعِيَّـاُ "And do not be an innovator"

Bid`ah is anything that is newly invented in matters of the deen. Generally, we see that bid`ah starts off as something small, but it leads to a every destructive path. Thus, closing the doors to even the smallest innovated matter, aids in safeguarding one's deen. How many people do we see that on a daily basis do acts of worship, and do not even know if the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam did it or not.

In some acts of worship, there is a bit of leniency. For example: Ruqyah. If one was to look into the chapter of Ruqyah, then one can see that it is more broader in the sense that a person can recite any part of the Qur'aan or du`aa for ruqyah.

Two Principles that are very beneficial to remember are:

1. The 'Asl (origin) for any worldly affair (which is not linked to the deen) is that it is permissible, until proven otherwise (by the shari`ah). This is based on the words of Allaah: هُوَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ لَكُم مَّا فِي الْأَرْضِ جَمِيعًا
"He it is Who created for you all that is on earth…" [Soorah al-Baqarah: 29]

2. The 'Asl for any deen related matter is that it is Haraam, until proven otherwise (by the shari`ah). Like for example, some people do Sajdah of Tawbah and other acts that is not prescribed in the deen

Also a very important condition before following the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam is to make sure the hadeeth is authentic (which we will cover in the next line of poetry inshaa'Allaah)

-------------------​

The Mu'allif then gives the result for following these three instructions:
لَعلَّـكَ تُفْلِــح "So that you might be successful"

"Falaah" encompasses all types of good in this dunya and in the 'aakhirah. And it is said that there is no word in the Arabic language that includes all the khayr (good) in one word, except for 'Falaah'

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

What I will do is... before starting a new line of poetry, I will delete all the un-relevant posts from the thread. This is so that people can easily read through the thread.

I am just going to leave all the answers the participating members posted and the rules.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

The author, rahimhullaah, then said:

ودنْ بكتابِ الله والسننِ التي أتـت عـنْ رسـول الله تنجـو وتربـحُ
(2) And practice your religion based on the Book of Allaah and the Sunan which has come from the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: so you will be saved and earn reward.

[Sunan is the the plural of Sunnah]

-------------------​

Question 1: For sister your-sister

The author when mentioning about practicing the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah, puts a condition that it is sunan which "has come from the Messenger of Allaah".

We have two types of narrations that are from the Messenger of Allaah: 1) Mutawaatir 2) Aahaad

Briefly tell us 1) What are the conditions of Mutawaatir narrations? 2) What are the different types of Aahaad narrations 3) What would you say to those people who do not accept Aahaad narrations in `Aqeedah.

Question 2: For Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy

The author tells us to practice that which has come from the Messenger of Allaah- this means that it should be authentic on the Prophet :saw2:

What are the conditions of accepting narrations? (In other words, what are the conditions of a hadeeth to be authentic)

Question 3: For brother IbnAdam

The author mentioned about practicing the Qur'aan and Sunnah. We know that these are the sources of Islaam, along with Ijmaa` and Qiyaas.

Briefly define Ijmaa` and give one evidence for Ijmaa` from the Qur'aan and one evidence from the Sunnah. Also give us an example on something there is Ijmaa` upon.

Question 4: For Sister Suhaanah

The author mentioned about practicing the Qur'aan and Sunnah. We know that these are the sources of Islaam, along with Ijmaa` and Qiyaas.

Briefly define Qiyaas and give us an example applying the definition to the example.

Question 5: For sister Allaahknowsbest

The author mentioned "Rasool Allaah" i.e. Messenger of Allaah. What is the difference between a Rasool and a Nabiy (i.e. the difference between a Messenger and a Prophet). And is every Prophet a Messenger (Rasool)?

Question 6: For brother Kashif

Who are the 5 greatest Prophets and please give it in order of who came first.

Question 7: For Sister Aapa

The Prophet :saw2: told us that Allaah has taken him :saw2: as a Khaleel (close friend). Is there anyone else besides Muhammad :saw2: who was taken as a Khaleel by Allaah? What is your evidence?

Question 8: For Sister friend263

What are the 3 instructions the author gives? And what is the result for following the 3 instructions?

-------------------​

You all have two days from now :- )

Wassalaamu `alaykum

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

The author, rahimhullaah, then said:

ودنْ بكتابِ الله والسننِ التي أتـت عـنْ رسـول الله تنجـو وتربـحُ
(2) And practice your religion based on the Book of Allaah and the Sunan which has come from the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: so you will be saved and earn reward.

[Sunan is the the plural of Sunnah]

Question 6: For brother Kashif

Who are the 5 greatest Prophets and please give it in order of who came first.

:salam2:

The 5 greatest Prophets are:

1. Hazrat Nuh (Noah) (alyhissalaam)
2. Hazrat Ibrahim (Abraham) (alyhissalaam)
3. Hazrat Musa (Moses) (alyhissalaam)
4. Hazrat 'Esa (Jesus) (alyhissalaam)
5. Hazrat Muhammad :saw:

:wasalam: