practical problems

aless

:shymuslima1: :shymuslima1:

:salam2: dear sisters and brothers,

I hope this post find u well and in the best of imaan

I hope you can help me insh'Allah I have a bit of a serious problem.

Please read carefully insh'Allah

When I first reverted to Islam, I thought I could not interact, that is, be in contact with any non-mahram men. My teacher at the Madrasah Islamiyyah told me though the following words:
"Islam is Simple, if you meet a non-mahram man that you like you are allowed to talk to him in a public place to get to know each other then you come to me and I will act as you wali."

Now I found out that:
1. being in direct contact with a non-mahram whether over the phone or in public space is prohibited
see
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/84089
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20949

2. a wali can be only a knowledgeable muslim man and my teacher is a woman.

Now, in principle, I would have no problem with the standard procedures of meeting a brother for marriage puposes with a wali (except the fact that I would have to meet him with the wali present for a LONG LONG TIME before actually agreeing to marry the man).

But also another Quran teacher has told me that after the first meeting with a brother and my wali, we can exchange email addresses and telephone numbers with the potential husband in order to get to know each other better. PLUS a respected Imaam asked me if I wanted the email address of a brother that was looking to get married so we could email each other and ask each other questions before actually arranging to meet together with my wali.

I see a lot of differences/ discrepancies of opinion about the matter, as some sisters keep saying that meeting in public is allowed to discuss marriage while others say that it is not allowed at all, they seem to interpret the sources differently.

Now to my practical problem. I met this brother a few months ago. We like each other and get on well. He does not want to marry now, he actually cannot marry me because he has some health issues that won't allow him to be able to take a decision right now (i don't want to go too much in detail, but I can tell that this is in fact true, he should not take such an important decision in his mental state, he is not crazy or anything but I agree, and I would prefer if he'd sort himself out before making such a life changing decision). I guess the whole situation brings him to be unsure about it. And to be honest right now I would not be able to take a decision as well because of the same reason.

The problem is we keep in contact on the phone, and we saw each other a few times in public, me with the hijhab on and everything, we talked, always in public.

Now I am reading that I am not even allowed to keep in touch over the phone. which I have to say hurts me a lot. It is true that we are keeping this "friendship" in the uncertainty that in one year two years time we may or may not actually get married.

I do want to keep in touch with him cos we support and advice each other a lot and he says that I have helped him a lot to sort out some of his issues, he says he only talks to me about his issues and that I help him with them. He said he would respect my decision to cut any contact with him, but I cannot find the strength to do that, just the idea makes me upset.

I would like to know your ideas about this and insh'Allah

also in order to increase my Islamic knowledge insh'Allah
I would like to know if under Islamic law, there would be a punishment/penalty for what we are doing (talking on the phone, seeing each other once in a while in public places) and if yes what would the punishment be (with references insh'Allah) ? and whether keeping in contact at least over the phone until we can both make a decision is actually haraam?

Jazakallauh Khair
:salam2:

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alakium wr wb dear sister,

I am sorry to hear your delimma really. I am going to give my opinion which might be absolutely incorrect. I hope some other knowledgeable brother or sister will help you insha Allah better than myself.

In my opinion it was OK with you to be in contact with that brother while you were deciding about marriage. Now you both are at the point where you have discussed and decided not to marry yet. You have also known each other, so you should not have any relationship/contact with him. And Allah knows the best

I have taken following paragraphs from IslamQA, I hope this might be helpful to you insha Allah

With regard to your relationship with this young man, this noble religion forbids women to mix with men for a great and wise reason. So you have to stop meeting him and break off your relationship with him until you can marry him in a proper Islamic marriage.

With regard to your love for him, this is a test from Allaah will you put your love of Allaah before your love for one of His creation, or will you put your love for this person before the love of your almighty Lord Who has forbidden such things. Note that whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better than that, the first of which is that you will find, in sha Allah, that Allaah will compensate you with comfort and tranquility in loving Him and striving to draw closer to Allaah by means of that which He loves; so your love for your Lord and your attachment to Him will increase, and your attachment to all of His creation will become weaker. .

We advise you to be patient and to put up with difficulties, and to keep far away from everything that may cause you to do things that would anger your Lord. Note that Allaah has made this world a place of trial and testing for His believing slaves; whoever is patient and refrains from following his desries, seeking the pleasure of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with Paradise where He will bestow upon him all kinds of delight which cannot be compared with the fleeting worldly pleasures that he sacrificed. This is in addition to the happiness and tranquility that he will find in his heart when he obeys his Lord.

Allah is the source of strength.

Wa Alaikum Salam.

Irshaad.K

Question:
I had emailed asking before if it is ok to talk to ones fiancé on the phone. you responded saying it is ok as long as it is only formal talk...my question is what are these bounds exactly...is it ok to just talk about my day with him...tell him about personal issues, and seek his advice on it, is it ok just to talk to him just because I want to talk to him.....as of now...we talk chat online...is there no difference...I feel like we do stay within bounds. Because everything we talk about is nothing inappropriate...we don’t flirt...but we definitely are comfortable with each other...we could joke around and things like that...I’m just confused on this matter. Because lately I’m debating on whether or not I should call him, if you could please let me know ASAP. I would greatly appreciate it

Answer:
According to Shariah, engaged couples are regarded to be strangers for one another before marriage. As such, all the normal rules of gender interaction would apply.

Therefore, it will not be permissible to interact with one’s fiancé informally, whether this is over the phone, e-mail or by writing a letter. As for formal interaction, that would be permissible as long as one does not fear falling into the unlawful.

Formal interaction means that what is needed, such as something that needs to be discussed with regards to marriage, or something else similarly important. As far as being comfortable is concerned, that is not permissible.

It should be remarked here that, many times, problems, disputes and break-ups of engagements occur due to unlawful and informal interaction. The reason being that, firstly disobedience to Allah Almighty results in the Baraka of the prospective marriage disappearing. Secondly, excessive interaction creates unnecessary doubts in the minds of the engaged couple, thus one becomes uncertain whether one’s fiancé is the right person for marriage or otherwise.

Therefore, interaction with the fiancé should be avoided as much as possible. Yes, if there is a genuine need, such as discussing necessary things with regards to the marriage, then there is nothing wrong with that.

And Allah Knows Best

Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK

fatimabilals

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
I hav a boy in my class, he is not a muslim, but a pure brahman hindu. I don't talk to him over the phone, although i used to earlier, but i stopped becuz i soon realized it was wrong. But he is a kind of an all-rounder boy, n many a time, becuz i m also an all-rounder, i hav to hav many discussions wid him in school. but even during dose times he never makes eye contact wid me n neither do i. now i hav vacations (will end in 2-3 days) n he has been constantly mailing me. is dis allowed? also he is 2-3 months younger to me.
(pls look at my age).

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
may Allah help you sister.

yes as BintShafi pointed out, patience is required.

i dont know if i m right but maybe as you are serious about marriage; u can have ur local imam your wali and then you both can meet in the presence of the imam (pls confirm this, i am not sure about this).

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
I hav a boy in my class, he is not a muslim, but a pure brahman hindu. I don't talk to him over the phone, although i used to earlier, but i stopped becuz i soon realized it was wrong. But he is a kind of an all-rounder boy, n many a time, becuz i m also an all-rounder, i hav to hav many discussions wid him in school. but even during dose times he never makes eye contact wid me n neither do i. now i hav vacations (will end in 2-3 days) n he has been constantly mailing me. is dis allowed? also he is 2-3 months younger to me.
(pls look at my age).

talking is allowed in public and in necessity. And only you know better whether your talk is necessary or not.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2:

yes, her wali should be present.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for a man to be alone with a woman who is not his mahram, because that affords temptation to do immoral and evil actions. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a (non-mahram) woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present.” It is permitted to look at her when one has the intention of marriage, without being alone with her and in the presence of her father, brother, mother, etc., and looking at that which ordinarily appears of her, such as her face, hair, hands and feet. This is what is indicated by the Sunnah, so long as one is also free from the risk of fitnah (temptation).

Shaykh Waleed al-Firyaan
ISLAMQ&A