Praying behind a Sutra...

DanyalSAC

...is it necessary in a masjid?

I know that a sutra is recommended if you're outside, as in the following hadith:

Narrated Nafi:

"The Prophet used to make his she-camel sit across and he would pray facing it (as a Sutra)." I asked, "What would the Prophet do if the she-camel was provoked and moved?" He said, "He would take its camel-saddle and put it in front of him and pray facing its back part (as a Sutra). And Ibn 'Umar used to do the same." (Assuming here that the she-camel was not allowed in the masjid, this indicates our Prophet peace be upon him was out doors).

I tried to google "Sutra" and of course came up with thousands of links to that ... well, that book that's basically *!*!*!*!... you know the one.

When I asked the brother who took my shahadah awhile back about the sutra he described to me what it was and concluded with "Its not strictly necessary in a Masjid..." But today after Fajr I wanted to put in 2 more rakat and a brother called out to me "Sutra akhi! Sutra!". When I told him it wasn't necessary in a masjid he scoffed and said "Who told you THAT??"

My reasoning is this - if it were necessary then we would HAVE a "sutra"; in other words, an item in the masjid created just for the purpose of keeping people from walking in front of you while you're in salaat, so we aren't required to use chairs from the back. That's just my 2 cents.

Anyway... thoughts? JazakAllah Khairn

Asalaamu alaikum

D.

ama6621

Assalamu Alaikum brother Danyal,
one thing you could do when you pray alone in the masjid is to pray in the front row. that way you are not in the middle of anyone trying to pass in front. this is what i have seen at my mosque (i am a sister, so i am talking about what the women do but i assume the same is done by the brothers). so you move up to the first row after you have finished your prayer in the congregation, unless there are other people around you praying by themselves too.

Assalamu Alaikum