Prophet Muhammed (SAW)

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all my brothers and sisters are in good health and Iman.

I have a bit of confusion regarding exactly how many children did Khadijah and our Prophet (SAW) have? I have a book called "Basics of Islam" and it states that they had 4 daughters and 2 sons. It goes on to say both sons died in infancy. My confusion came when I was talking to one of my husbands uncles who argued that the Prophet (SAW) only had one son named Ibrahim!!! I disagreed because of the book so we went online to settle the arguement and I googled "children of Prophet Muhammed (SAW)" and the answer matched what my husbands uncle said which means the book I have is wrong!!!

This book is a teaching book with referrences towards teachers of teenagers on the basics of Islam!!! If this book is wrong about that simple issue what else could be wrong in it I wonder???? This troubles me very much because I used this book to learn the basics of Islam before I ever met a Muslim so now I am finding myself questioning all of what I have learned!!!

Please help if you can!!!!

Wa salam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykumm

Number of sons and daughters of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had both sons and daughters, the first of whom was al-Qaasim, from whom he took his kunya Abu’l-Qaasim. He died in childhood, and it was said that he lived until he was old enough to ride. Then came Zaynab, and it was said that she was older than al-Qaasim; then Ruqayyah, Umm Kulthoom and Faatimah. It was said concerning each of them that she was older than her two sisters. It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that Ruqayyah was the oldest of the three and that Umm Kulthoom was the youngest. Then ‘Abd-Allaah was born to him. There is some dispute as to whether he was born after his Prophethood began or before. Some scholars said that he was born after his Prophethood began. There is also some dispute as to whether he was al-Tayyib or al-Taahir, or whether they were other children; the correct view is that these were nicknames given to him; and Allaah knows best. These children were all born from Khadeejah and he had no children from any other wife. Then Ibraaheem was born to him from his concubine Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah in 8 AH. (Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/103).

So the sons and daughters of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) were all born to him from his wife Umm al-Mu’mineen Khadeejah (may Allaah be pleased with her), apart from Ibraaheem, who was born from the Prophet’s concubine Maariyah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who was given to him as a gift by al-Muqawqis, the king of Alexandria and the leader of the Copts. According to the most correct opinion, he had seven children, three boys and four girls. The boys were:

1- al-Qaasim

2- ‘Abd-Allaah

3- Ibraaheem

And the girls were:

1- Zaynab

2- Ruqayyah

3- Umm Kulthoom

4- Faatimah

All of his children died during his lifetime, apart from Faatimah who died after him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)

Islamqa

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan for the informative answers! I learned something new today!!! I had no idea that there were actually 3 sons!!!

I dont understand why the Prophet (SAW) would be in need of a concubine considering he had several wives at the same time??? But I suppose that is a topic for an entirely different conversation.

Even in the answer by Islamqa it seems a bit confusing still! But I was thinking that maybe its all confusing because this is not something we should be dwelling on in regards to our Prophet (SAW) and if it were something important that we should know about him Allah would have made it very clear! Really my only concern was about this book "Basics Of Islam" that is actually a teaching tool for new Muslims! I wanted to be sure the information in it was correct. I hope the other more important information about Islam in that book is correct because it is the one source beyond this website that I have learned the most about Islam! I would hate to think everything I know could be wrong!

wa salam

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
As salamo alaikome

I dont understand why the Prophet (SAW) would be in need of a concubine considering he had several wives at the same time??? But I suppose that is a topic for an entirely different conversation.

:salam2: sister Isra,

We have to remember that RasoolAllah (SAW) had a reason for marrying whomever he did - almost all the reasons were political/social/to spread Islam/to help the women, rather than marrying merely for love. As the article says "concubine Maariyah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who was given to him as a gift by al-Muqawqis, the king of Alexandria and the leader of the Copts. ". I've read that there was an alliance with the Copts and a number of them accepted Islam, and also for socio-political reasons to help spread Islam, therefore his marriages or concubines were also a way to seal relationship into a political atmosphere.

I know the explanation isn't that clear, but hope you get the gist of it.

abu'muhammad

Waalaykum salaam,

Well on finding that the information in the book is doubtful/ erroneous etc then the reading through it can be left. And it can always be corrected, inshaAllaah. Just as by counter-checking like this or asking in person to a knowledgeble person. In my region there are erroneous books and the same advice I keep for myself foremost as well as for others is of reading the books that have been written by the right scholars or the people who have/had right understanding of deen. Reading any willy-nilly book leads to wrong info, wrong basics and to that what follows from it.

for the main question on the post something from the seerat book of prophet (salAllaahu alayhi wasallam) -- 'the sealed nectar'…

Taken from the “The Sealed Nectar” book

1. Khadijah Bint Khuwailid: In Makkah — prior to Hijra — the Prophet’s household comprised him (Sallalaahu alaihi wa Sallam) and his wife Khadijah bint Khuwailid. He was twenty-five and she was forty when they got married. She was the first woman he married. She was the only wife he had till she died. He had sons and daughters with her. None of their sons lived long. They all died. Their daughters were Zainab, Ruqaiya, Umm Kulthum and Fatimah.

http://abdurrahman.org/seerah/propheticHousehold.html

here the number of sons is not mentioned but they were two - Ibrahim and qaasim.And Allaah knows best.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Please forgive me if I am crossing the line with this new post I am about to make but I have heard and read that it is acceptable to question anything in Islam. It has been bothering me all day thinking about it..........Im talking about the post which speaks of the concubine having the Prophets (SAW) son!

What really confuses me is that I read he was a man who didnt care about the pleasures of this world and basically had no interest in the usual things that attract the typical man. That being said once Khadijah passed away he had 9 wives!!!! I understand that he married them for reasons pertaining to Islam in most cases so I dont question that he didnt necessarily love them all but my confusion comes from the fact that if he was someone who didnt care at all about the pleasures of this world what use would he have for concubines in the first place?

I wasnt sure what that word actually meant so I googled the online dictionary to look it up and to my surprise they actually had a referrence to the early Muslim era when it said this: "(especially formerly in Muslim societies) a woman residing in a harem and kept, as by a sultan, for sexual purposes." which is a direct quote from the dictionary. So what need would Prophet Muhammed (SAW) have for such a woman if he already had 9 wives which he had to share his time with and he had no desire for worldly pleasures? I really dont understand and probably never will. I know we love our Prophet (SAW) and we cant even imagine anything bad about him but I have to question the truth in all of what I read about him. It just doesnt make sense and actually contradicts itself.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Please forgive me if I am crossing the line with this new post I am about to make but I have heard and read that it is acceptable to question anything in Islam. It has been bothering me all day thinking about it..........Im talking about the post which speaks of the concubine having the Prophets (SAW) son!

What really confuses me is that I read he was a man who didnt care about the pleasures of this world and basically had no interest in the usual things that attract the typical man. That being said once Khadijah passed away he had 9 wives!!!! I understand that he married them for reasons pertaining to Islam in most cases so I dont question that he didnt necessarily love them all but my confusion comes from the fact that if he was someone who didnt care at all about the pleasures of this world what use would he have for concubines in the first place?

I wasnt sure what that word actually meant so I googled the online dictionary to look it up and to my surprise they actually had a referrence to the early Muslim era when it said this: "(especially formerly in Muslim societies) a woman residing in a harem and kept, as by a sultan, for sexual purposes." which is a direct quote from the dictionary. So what need would Prophet Muhammed (SAW) have for such a woman if he already had 9 wives which he had to share his time with and he had no desire for worldly pleasures? I really dont understand and probably never will. I know we love our Prophet (SAW) and we cant even imagine anything bad about him but I have to question the truth in all of what I read about him. It just doesnt make sense and actually contradicts itself.

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu dear sister

When I was learning about Islaam, I was aslo confused regarding the number of wifes of our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alyha wa saalam,and it was strange to me that he had so many wifes. Alhamdulilah I have learnt that Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam marry them for the sake of spreding Islaam. But I have never heared that our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alyah wa saalam did not like things from this life which Allah has given us, but that our Prophet s.a.w.s like all other people, liked halal things ,but that he was looking middle in this, like in everything Alhadmulilah.

I aslo know that Prophet Mohammed loved his wife Aisha r.a the most of other wifes, but he loved all his other wifes as well.I know there is nothing wrong in that Alhamdulilah, so it refers on our Prophet that he did not done anything wrong for having so many wifes because it was for first reason to spread message of Islaam. Non Muslims are trying to change image of our Prophet sallahu alayha wa saalam, but our duty is to teach others about him, that he was only man like all others, but that beside that he was the best Servant of Allah and the best man who ever appeared, sallahu alayha wa saalam.

I hope Inshallah I could help you with my answer dear sister and I hope other brothers and sisters can help you better to find your answers.

And all answers are with Allah and Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all

:wasalam:

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu dear sister

When I was learning about Islaam, I was aslo confused regarding the number of wifes of our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alyha wa saalam,and it was strange to me that he had so many wifes. Alhamdulilah I have learnt that Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam marry them for the sake of spreding Islaam. But I have never heared that our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alyah wa saalam did not like things from this life which Allah has given us, but that our Prophet s.a.w.s like all other people, liked halal things ,but that he was looking middle in this, like in everything Alhadmulilah.

I aslo know that Prophet Mohammed loved his wife Aisha r.a the most of other wifes, but he loved all his other wifes as well.I know there is nothing wrong in that Alhamdulilah, so it refers on our Prophet that he did not done anything wrong for having so many wifes because it was for first reason to spread message of Islaam. Non Muslims are trying to change image of our Prophet sallahu alayha wa saalam, but our duty is to teach others about him, that he was only man like all others, but that beside that he was the best Servant of Allah and the best man who ever appeared, sallahu alayha wa saalam.

I hope Inshallah I could help you with my answer dear sister and I hope other brothers and sisters can help you better to find your answers.

And all answers are with Allah and Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all

Wa alaikome salam sis and thank you for your input. I feel really bad just now for even questioning the prophets (SAW) motives for having concubines and you know in reading your response I see that what I read almost 2 years ago could easily have been misleading. I think better I dont want to know the answers to questions that I shouldnt have even been asking in the first place. May Allah forgive me.

Wa salam

tariq353

:salam2:

2n8wroi.jpg

2d1tv1k.jpg

wa salam

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Wa alaikome salam sis and thank you for your input. I feel really bad just now for even questioning the prophets (SAW) motives for having concubines and you know in reading your response I see that what I read almost 2 years ago could easily have been misleading. I think better I dont want to know the answers to questions that I shouldnt have even been asking in the first place. May Allah forgive me.

Wa salam

We iyaki dear sister. May Allah help you to stay always on the right path and reword you with good on the both Worlds. Ameen summa ameen

Dear sister, do not be worry because Alhamdulillah it can happen to everyone to be confused regarding something from our Deen Islaam, and duty of us Muslims is to advice each others on the kind way. I was listening yesterday one Islamic lecture, and the speaker said that the Muslim who is giving Dawah needs to be mercyfull toward those to who is giving Dawah.

And Wallahi this is really truth, because Allah subhan wa teala sais in Quraan:
" Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islâm) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'ân) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better... " ( Surah An Nahl, ayah 125) And this ayah contains great advice from Allah Almighty to us. May Allah guide us always the the path with who He is pleased.

And regarding our Prophet Mohammed salahu alyah wa saalam we should belive how Allah has descibed him,and we should belive that how he is descibed in his Siraah, it contains only good about him.

Inshallah you can reed authentic Siraah of Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa saalam is the book " Sealed Nectar" from author Safiyyurahman Al- Mubarekfuri. It is so beautifully descibed life of our Prophet sallahu alyah wa saalam and what is the most importante it is authentic book, mashallah.

Please forgive me if I told you anything wrong dear sister or if my answer can not help you to find answer.

May Allah bless you

tariq353

I feel really bad just now for even questioning the prophets (SAW) motives for having concubines and you know in reading your response I see that what I read almost 2 years ago could easily have been misleading. I think better I dont want to know the answers to questions that I shouldnt have even been asking in the first place. May Allah forgive me.

Wa salam

Sister u remind me of days wn I was very much confused about the slavery system…….n u knew the only problem was with the definition of slave I was having….cz I was looking it from the ponit of view of what we have learned abt slaves in text books ….but the definition is completely different in Islam… So just getting the right definition cleared all my doubts….

First of all let me tell u about Maryam(ra) MOTHER OF BELIEVERS

After the treaty of Hudaiyaba, the Prophet (saw) invited the nobility of Arabia to a dinner and sent personal invitation to ruler of Syria and Other countries, to participate in the feast where many of them embrased Islam,Maryam Known as Maria bint Shim’um, a copt maiden, was sent to Prophet with her sister Sirin with Muqawiqis, the chief of Copts, along with horses and camel and pet animals as gift. In those days according to the custom of the time, slave girl were presented as a gifts to the rulers and rich aristocrats. Therefore, when the governor sent word to the prophet(saw) that these girls were honourable ladies, they were assured of cordial welcome.

Both the girls accept islam before their arrival in the muslim camp. Maryam was admitted as Prophet’s(saw) wife. Morever he wanted to assure the governor of friendliness in regard to mutual support. Some important diplomatic events were to flow from this alliance. The sister of the new bride was married to Hasanb. Salat since conjunction of two sisters in marriage is not permissible under divine law, because being co-wives they can’t enjoy true n natural love. Maryam was not allotted an ordinary hut in the vicinity of mosque where other wives lived, but a garden-house was built for her in upper madina, where, in the heat of summer she used to receive visits from Prorhet(saw) (this house was afterward called Mashrabah Umm Ibrahim). ……………………

Wives(ra) Of Holy Prophet(saw) By Fida Hussain Malik
Adam publishers, New Delhi.

It is clear from above details that she was a pious women who was gifted to Prophet(saw) by the chief of copt…..AS PER THE TRADITION OF THAT TIME…. It wasn’t anything extraordinary…Point is to be noted that prophet(saw) didn’t asked for the same he just accepted the gift which was lawful for him……… The real beauty is that Alhamdulillah Prophet(saw) honoured her by accepting her as his wife…u knw what this means??

An ordinary girl immediately becomes MOTHER OF BELIEVERS (not concubine)….

we forget the fact that he was the king of that time.. he could have married the most noblest n beautiful girls of that time.. but he didn’t rather all his marriages had a purpose(Humanitarian, political, divine) …..which was ultimately for the benefit for Islam...

Wa salam

:SMILY139::SMILY139:

abu'muhammad

Assalamu alaykum,

sister Isra it’s good to raise the questions. There is nothing to be ashamed off in asking the small or big questions. Few days before, I had some discussion with one of my relative. He quoted a speaker who was sarcastically asked by some non-muslim as – How is your religion that shows even how to urinate ? ’. And the speaker replied as “ it’s goodness that Allaah did not made us dependent on others for that even.” ...

Now there are many issues that can cross our minds, baffle us, but learning comes that way for you, me or else. By not asking such things we are repressing that eagerness and missing the part that we could had learnt, if its all that mentioned. Isn’t it ? There are events where there was a guidance from prophet just after someone from the sahaabah posed a question which later became the guidance for the rest of Ummat. At some places prophet (salAllaahu alayhi wasallaam) gave them dua for asking and did encouraged them.

Anyways a good thread in the midst.

-There are postings from brother Happy 2BA muslim on the subject of concubine. As the matter is been raised on the thread in between so I am posting them down here.

........................................................................................................

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah, rather she was a concubine who was given to him by al-Muqawqis, the ruler of Egypt. That took place after the treaty of al-Hudaybiyah. Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah was a Christian, then she became Muslim (may Allaah be pleased with her).

Ibn Sa’d said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lodged her – meaning Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah and her sister – with Umm Sulaym bint Milhaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (S) entered upon them and told them about Islam. He took Mariyah as a concubine and moved her to some property of his in al-‘Awaali… and she became a good Muslim.

Al-Tabaqaat al-Kubra, 1/134-135

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said:

Mariyah died during the caliphate of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab, in Muharram of 16 AH. ‘Umar gathered the people himself to attend her funeral, and he led the funeral prayer for her. She was buried in al-Baqee’.

Al-Isti’aab, 4/ 1912

Mariyah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was one of the Prophet’s concubines, not one of his wives. The Mothers of the Believers are the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The Prophet is closer to the believers than their ownselves, and his wives are their (believers’) mothers (as regards respect and marriage)”

[al-Ahzaab 33:6]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had four concubines, one of whom was Mariyah.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Abu ‘Ubaydah said: He had four (concubines): Mariyah, who was the mother of his son Ibraaheem; Rayhaanah; another beautiful slave woman whom he acquired as a prisoner of war; and a slave woman who was given to him by Zaynab bint Jahsh.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/114

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

abu'muhammad

There`s more on Mariya, the Copt, may Allah SWT be pleased with her, above. (I think you were reading my previous post when I posted this one)

Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah was the umm walad (a slave woman who bore her master a child) of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she was the mother of Ibraaheem, the son of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), of whom he said, “Her son set her free.” Haajar, the mother of Isma’eel (peace be upon him), was the concubine of Ibraaheem the close friend (khaleel) of the Most Merciful (peace be upon him).

A slave woman with whom a man has intercourse is known as a sariyyah (concubine) from the word sirr, which means marriage.

This is indicated by the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and this was done by the Prophets. Ibraaheem (peace be upon him) took Haajar as a concubine and she bore him Ismaa’eel (may peace be upon them all).

Our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also did that, as did the Sahaabah, the righteous and the scholars. The scholars are unanimously agreed on that and it is not permissible for anyone to regard it as haraam or to forbid it. Whoever regards that as haraam is a sinner who is going against the consensus of the scholars.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphan girls then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (slaves) that your right hands possess. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice”

[al-Nisa’ 4:3]

What is meant by “or (slaves) that your right hands possess” is slave women whom you own.
And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet (Muhammad)! Verily, We have made lawful to you your wives, to whom you have paid their Mahr (bridal‑money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), and those (slaves) whom your right hand possesses — whom Allaah has given to you, and the daughters of your ‘Amm (paternal uncles) and the daughters of your ‘Ammaat (paternal aunts) and the daughters of your Khaal (maternal uncles) and the daughters of your Khaalaat (maternal aunts) who migrated (from Makkah) with you, and a believing woman if she offers herself to the Prophet, and the Prophet wishes to marry her a privilege for you only, not for the (rest of) the believers. Indeed We know what We have enjoined upon them about their wives and those (slaves) whom their right hands possess, in order that there should be no difficulty on you. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:50]

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts).

Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess for (then) they are not blameworthy.

But whosoever seeks beyond that, then it is those who are trespassers”
[al-Ma’aarij 70:29-31]

Al-Tabari said:

Allaah says, “And those who guard their chastity” i.e., protect their private parts from doing everything that Allaah has forbidden, but they are not to blame if they do not guard their chastity from their wives or from the female slaves whom their rights hands possess.

Tafseer al-Tabari, 29/84

Ibn Katheer said:

Taking a concubine as well as a wife is permissible according to the law of Ibraaheem (peace be upon him). Ibraaheem did that with Haajar, when he took her as a concubine when he was married to Saarah.

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/383

And Ibn Katheer also said:

The phrase “and those (slaves) whom your right hand possesses — whom Allaah has given to you” [al-Ahzaab 33:50] means, it is permissible for you take concubines from among those whom you seized as war booty. He took possession of Safiyyah and Juwayriyah and he freed them and married them; he took possession of Rayhaanah bint Sham’oon al-Nadariyyah and Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah, the mother of his son Ibraaheem (peace be upon them both), and they were among his concubines, may Allaah be pleased with them both.

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/500

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is permissible.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

There is no dispute (among the scholars) that it is permissible to take concubines and to have intercourse with one's slave woman, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts).

Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess for (then) they are not blameworthy.”

[al-Ma’aarij 70:29-30]

It should be clear that Islam does not encourage slavery. Islam is unique among the `religions' in its close attention to the peaceful removal of this practice. Before the advent of Islam, slavery was widespread all over the world. The Messenger of Islam taught us that freeing slaves was a great deed in the sight of Allah. From the Sunnah, specifically in the study of the Sunnah called Sahih Bukhari, we find:

[3:46:693] Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said,

"Whoever frees a Muslim slave, Allah will save all the parts of his body from the (Hell) Fire as he has freed the body-parts of the slave." Said bin Marjana said that he narrated that Hadith to `Ali bin Al-Husain and he freed his slave for whom `Abdullah bin Ja'far had offered him ten thousand Dirhams or one-thousand Dinars.