Question concerning dogs

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome to all my brothers and sisters here at TTI.

Inshallah everyone has good health and Iman. I am writing this because I have much confusion about the ruling on dogs in Islam. I dont own a dog myself but I was recently at a friend of a friends home and there were 2 dogs which kept jumping up on us. I was sitting in a chair and the one dog practically jumped up into my lap and was licking my hands. I didnt think anything about it and although I was not exactly comfortable with this dog doing what it was doing I felt if I pushed it away I would appear rude to the owner so instead I just sat there.

What should I have done in this situation and someone please explain to me about dogs according to Islam. What are we not allowed to have the dog do to us? I am relatively new to Islam and I have been noticing some various postings but I really dont fully understand what is and what is not allowed regarding dogs. I know we shouldnt have one in our home because the angels wont enter a house where there is a dog but that is really all I know. Please someone enlighten me.

Love your sister in Islam.........Isra*

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
The Ruling on Keeping A Dog, Touching It, Or Kissing It

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Islam forbids Muslims to keep dogs, and the punishment for that is that the one who does that loses one or two qiraats from his hasanaat (good deeds) each day. An exception has been made in the case of keeping dogs for hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding, hunting or farming, one qiraat will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by Muslim, 1575.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog that is trained for hunting, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5163; Muslim, 1574.

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses?

Al-Nawawi said:

There is a difference of opinion as to whether it is permissible to keep dogs for purposes other than these three, such as for guarding houses and roads. The most correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with these three and based on the reason that is to be understood from the hadeeth, which is necessity. End quote.

Sharh Muslim, 10/236

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Based on this, if a house is in the middle of the city there is no need to keep a dog to guard it, so keeping a dog for this purpose in such situations is haraam and is not permitted, and it detracts one or two qiraats from a person’s reward every day. They should get rid of this dog and not keep it. But if the house is in the countryside and there is no one else around, then it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house and the people who are in it; guarding the members of the household is more important than guarding livestock or crops. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/246

There are several scholarly views about reconciling the reports which say “one qiraat” and those which say “two qiraats”.

Al-Haafiz al-‘Ayni (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

(a) It may be that they have to do with two types of dogs, one of which could cause more harm than the other.

(b) It was said that “two qiraats” applies in cities and villages, and “one qiraat” applies in the countryside.

(c) It was said that they were said at two different times – “one qiraat” was mentioned first, then the warning was made more strict and two qiraats were mentioned.

‘Umdat al-Qaari, 12/158.

Secondly:

With regard to the words of the questioner, “keeping a dog is naajis”. This is not exactly correct, because the najaasah (impurity) is not in the dog itself, rather it is in its saliva when it drinks from a vessel. If a person touches a dog or a dog touches him, that does not mean that he has to purify himself, whether with soil or water. But if a dog drinks from his vessel, then he has to throw away the water and wash it seven times with water and the eighth time with soil, if he wants to use it. If he makes it just for the dog then he does not have to purify it.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The purification of the vessel of one of you, if a dog licks it, is to wash it seven times, the first time with soil.” Nararted by Muslim, 279.

And according to another report by Muslim (280): “If a dog licks the vessel of one of you, let him wash it seven times and rub it with soil the eighth time.”

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to dogs, there are three views among the scholars:

1 – That they are taahir (pure), even their saliva. This is the view of Maalik.

2 – That they are naajis (impure), even their hair. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i and is one of the two views narrated from Ahmad.

3 – Their hair is taahir but their saliva is naajis. This is the view of Abu Haneefah and of Ahmad in the other report narrated from him.

This is the most correct view. So if the wetness of the dog’s hair gets onto one’s garment or body, that does not make it naajis. End quote.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/530.

Elsewhere he said:

That is because the basic principle is that substances are taahir, and it is not permissible to regard anything as naajis or haraam without evidence, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity?”

[al-An’aam 6:119]

“And Allaah will never lead a people astray after He has guided them until He makes clear to them as to what they should avoid”

[al-Tawbah 9:115]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The purification of the vessel of one of you, if a dog licks it, is to wash it seven times, the first time with soil” – and in another hadeeth, “If a dog licks a vessel…” All of the ahaadeeth mention licking only; they do not mention any other part of the dog, regarding them as naajis is based only on analogy.

Moreover, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a concession allowing people to keep dogs for hunting, herding and farming. The one who keeps them must touch the wetness of their hair, just as happens in the case of mules, donkeys, etc. To suggest that their hair is naajis when touching them cannot be avoided could impose undue hardship, which is not what the Lawgiver intended for this ummah.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/217, 218

To be on the safe side it is better, if a person touches a dog and there is something wet on his hand, or if there is something wet on the dog, to wash his hand seven times, one of which should be with soil. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to touching this dog, if there is no wetness then it does not make the hand naajis, but if he touches it and there is any wetness, then this means that the hand becomes naajis according to the view of many scholars, and the hand must be washed after that seven times, one of which should be with soil. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 11/246.

Thirdly:

With regard to the way in which purification from the najaasah of a dog is to be done, this has been explained in the answer to question no. 41090 and 46314.

What must be done is to wash off the najaasah of a dog seven times, one of which should be with soil. If soil is available then it must be used, and nothing else will do. If no soil is available, then there is nothing wrong with using some other cleaning agent such as soap.

Fourthly:

What the questioner mentions about kissing the dog is something that causes many diseases. The diseases that people may get as the result of going against sharee’ah by kissing dogs or drinking from their vessels before purifying them are many, such as pasturella which is a bacterial disease, the cause of which exists naturally in the respiratory systems of humans and animals, but under certain circumstances this germ can invade the body and cause disease.

Another of these diseases is a parasitic disease that affects the intestines of humans and animals, and usually affects the liver and lungs, the abdominal cavity and the rest of the body.

This disease is caused by tapeworms, which are small worms 2-9 millimeters long, which are formed of three sections, a head and a neck; the head has four suckers.

The adult worms live in the intestines of their hosts, such as dogs, cats, crows and wolves.

This disease is transmitted to human who love dogs, when they kiss them or drink from their vessels.

See: Amraad al-hayawaanaat allati tuseeb al-insaan (Animal diseases that affect humans) by Dr. ‘Ali Ismaa’eel ‘Ubayd al-Snaafi.

Conclusion:

It is not permissible to keep dogs except for hunting or guarding livestock and crops, and it is permissible to keep them for guarding houses so long as that is outside the city and that there is no other means of guarding the house. The Muslim should not imitate the kuffaar by running with the dog or touching its mouth and kissing it, which causes many diseases.

Praise be to Allaah for this pure and perfect sharee’ah, which came to set people’s spiritual and worldly affairs straight, but most people do not realize.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In a nutshell: dogs are not clean. In your home they shed. You have dog hair everywhere. They jump on furniture, beds, and have the run around of the house.
There are regulations about how to clean utensils should a dog drink out of a container. It has to be washed seven times. Someone will dig up the fatawas on this. Or you can go to Islam Q&A.

The rational is simple. A pet is spoiled. And Islam does not believe in uselessness. Should you need a guard dog and you treat it well that is another matter. But a house pet is not good. Islam encourages us to treat the creatures of Allah subhana talla with love.

I have had dogs in the past. I had the best and prettiest dogs in the world. I gave one away. The other kept having puppies. I had eight puppies, one cat and five kittens at one time. I went crazy. I was able to find homes for the puppies. She had another litter before I could turn around. I found homes for them. She jumped the fence and took off. We believe she was picked up by someone. She was the best dog in the world. ( Yes, I did shed a tear).

Usually if you alert a dog owner to the fact you are uncomfortable around dogs they will put the animal in another area. Just be direct.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum.
Everything about dog is najis especially their saliva.And their body become najis because they lick their body and the saliva is on their body.When you touch a dog whether it licked you or you touch a dog when it is wet(means from it's saliva),you need to perform wudoo 7 times including cleaning the licked place with dirt/soil/...

Dogs are more dangerous than a pig in the sense of clealiness.

the fatwa given by sis Shahnazz might have answered your question in sha Allah
Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum

Isra

aka Tree2008
Jazakallah khairan for the very good answers. I wish I had known this information at the time the dog was licking my hands but because I was uninformed I didnt perform the required wudu to cleanse the area that the dog licked and I have since performed my prayers many times using the normal wudu. Does this mean my prayers since that day are not going to be accepted? Is it too late to perform the required wudu or should I not even worry about it at this point???

What about cats??? I used to have a cat who sat on my chest the whole night as I slept and she would lick me often. Is it the same ruling for cats as it is for dogs? I thought I read it is ok to own a cat but if what sister Aapa says is the case then wouldnt that apply to ALL pets? I dont know of a more "useless" animal to have as a pet than a cat actually. They dont do anything but lay around the house all day long and their hair is everywhere too so what is the difference please tell????

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Two things.

One, and if I am wrong I will be corrected, if you are ignorant of a ruling you are blameless, and once you know you won't do it again. That is why we are encouraged to enjoin good.

Two, I only read about dogs. To my limited knowledge, the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, loved cats. Besides they keep mice, rats, and snakes away.

Valerie

I have two dogs, but I have had them each for years now, long before I started looking at Islam... If I can find a home for them I will, but I don't see what I can do. *shrug*

Ashima33

I personally do not like dogs as pets. But enjoy other people's. Especially puppies and for some reason giant dogs. like st. bernards, great danes, and mastiffs. haha

I have heard many different rulings....

it's okay if a dog touches you, but not lick you.
It's not okay if I dog even touches you.
It's okay to have one only outside your home for protection.
It's okay to have one in your home as long as you have a dog-free area designated for prayer.
And some people don't take any of these into consideration.

So far, I haven't read any where in the Qur'an that states they are forbidden. But I am not above being corrected. Maybe I over looked it?

Ultimately they are Gods creatures and we should take care of them atleast. There are so many at shelters.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I have two dogs, but I have had them each for years now, long before I started looking at Islam... If I can find a home for them I will, but I don't see what I can do. *shrug*

Sister, keep your dogs...I feel as long as you keep your dogs clean, it's okay.
Brushing their teeth with special toothpaste, bathing them weekly, brushing them...These are things you probably already do :hearts:

So many people think dogs are just awful....But lets not forget the story where a prostitute gave a thristy dog some water from her slipper, and Prophet Muhammad said that Allah (swt) forgave her due to that act.

I think with so many small arguments like this, "Can we own dogs?" takes away form what REALLY matters. Keeping a loving dog as a pet, and making sure he is clean, your house is clean, etc. is not going to damn you to hell.

I WOULD however, keep them out of the bedroom or whatever room you use for prayer.
For example, my cats are not allowed in my prayer area or the bathroom where i do Wudu.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
Bro/sis ShahnazZ is right.dogs are forbidden in Islam.each animal should stay at its place and the dogs are often mentioned in some hadiths like the creatures that Shaytan uses to make bad actions...indeed,many people were deadly attached by dogs that before their bad behaviour were really kind.Allah knows it best

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

At the sake of sounding simplistic..just make dua. Allah always answers. It is very painful to give away pets. They are like family members. You miss them very much.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Narrated Abu Talha: I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)." (Book #54, Hadith #448)

Narrated Salim's father: Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, "We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog." (Book #54, Hadith #450)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed. (Book #54, Hadith #540)

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If somebody keeps a dog, he loses one Qirat (of the reward) of his good deeds everyday, except if he keeps it for the purpose of agriculture or for the protection of livestock. " (Book #54, Hadith #541)

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: The Prophet said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction of two Qirat from his good deeds." (Book #67, Hadith #389)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Brushing their teeth with special toothpaste, bathing them weekly, brushing them...These are things you probably already do :hearts:

So many people think dogs are just awful....But lets not forget the story where a prostitute gave a thristy dog some water from her slipper, and Prophet Muhammad said that Allah (swt) forgave her due to that act.

I think with so many small arguments like this, "Can we own dogs?" takes away form what REALLY matters. Keeping a loving dog as a pet, and making sure he is clean, your house is clean, etc. is not going to damn you to hell.

I WOULD however, keep them out of the bedroom or whatever room you use for prayer.
For example, my cats are not allowed in my prayer area or the bathroom where i do Wudu.

Sister, you are confusing 2 different matters here.

The hadeeth about the prostitute shows that being merciful to 'creation of Allah' is an act of good deed in itself.

However, it can't be used as proof that dogs can be kept at home. In regards to 'permissibility of keeping dogs at home', you need to refer to the Prophetic narrations below provided by brother Abu Talib. \/ \/

Narrated Abu Talha: I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)." (Book #54, Hadith #448)

Narrated Salim's father: Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, "We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog." (Book #54, Hadith #450)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed. (Book #54, Hadith #540)

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If somebody keeps a dog, he loses one Qirat (of the reward) of his good deeds everyday, except if he keeps it for the purpose of agriculture or for the protection of livestock. " (Book #54, Hadith #541)

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: The Prophet said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction of two Qirat from his good deeds." (Book #67, Hadith #389)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2: sister Isra,

To get cleansed, the hadeeth is :-

Narrated Abu Huraira, Allah’s Messenger said: “The cleansing of the
utensil belonging to one of you, after it has been licked by a dog, is
to wash it seven times, using soil for cleaning the first time.” And in
a narration, “ he should spill out [its contents].”
Reported by Muslim

Based on this above narration, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to touching this dog, if there is no wetness then it does not make the hand naajis, but if he touches it and there is any wetness, then this means that the hand becomes naajis according to the view of many scholars, and the hand must be washed after that seven times, one of which should be with soil. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 11/246.

Source :- http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/69840

revert2007

Love Fishing

Assalamualikum.
Angels will never enter a house which has dogs as well as pictures.

First of all, we would like you to know that it is not allowed for you to keep a dog at home for a purpose other than hunting or guarding the house (watchdogs).

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said: "Whoever keeps a dog save for hunting or for guarding crops or cattle will lose one large measure (qirat) of his reward each day." (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

So plz think twice before keepinga dogs.Do not give away your rewards for nothing.

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We learn something new each day. I think what needs to be said is the following.
In the west dogs are loved. Everyone wants that picture perfect puppy. Dogs are so loyal. They just want to be loved.

When a person reverts to Islam there is such an enormous transition. I have a few revert sisters who come to me and they talk. The new revert is trying to manage a change in lifestyle. And it is not easy. When you are the only one at the job, in the community, and you do not have a large support system it is difficult.

Each day you learn something new. You think you are doing the right thing and bam..you pray from the bottom of your heart..you change your wardrobe..you change your eating habits..your friends run from you...you have lost your word...and now you find out something so innocent as owning a particular pet is a big no-no. And the thought comes across your mind...what in hells name am I doing.

Stay strong. If the dog is a pet and now knowledge has come to you about the Islamic reasons of not owning a dog..you have to apply it. Take the time to find a good home for the dog. There are good people out there. If you can find a farmer..they always need dogs. Most shelters will take your phone number and give it someone who is looking to adopt an older dog.

I know it is difficult to make the changes. As I wrote earlier..make dua. It worked for me. This is not the most critical decision you have to make.

We Muslims come across as so stern and unloving at times. Some of us have not had to make these decisions therefore it easy to say this is right and this is wrong. For others...it is a difficult decision.

If I can not own a dog..I can go to the shelter and drop off dog food on occasion. I can volunteer at the animal shelter. There are options.

Forgive me but I believe this was necessary.

hassana elkoussi

What about cats??? I used to have a cat who sat on my chest the whole night as I slept and she would lick me often. Is it the same ruling for cats as it is for dogs? I thought I read it is ok to own a cat but if what sister Aapa says is the case then wouldnt that apply to ALL pets? I dont know of a more "useless" animal to have as a pet than a cat actually. They dont do anything but lay around the house all day long and their hair is everywhere too so what is the difference please tell????

Salalm alaikum dear sister,

There's nothing wrong with keeping cats, anyway here are some more details from Islam Q&A

I know that cats in Islam are regarded as clean and pure animals but i am not sure what the ruling is on keeping them in the house as pets.
I don't have anything against cats but i feel keeping them in the house and letting them wonder around the kitchen، bedroom etc is unhygienic. Please could you shed some light on this issue.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible in Islam for a person to keep permissible things that no one else has taken possession of before him, such as taking firewood from the desert or wood from the forest. The same applies to taking cats and raising them. One takes possession of a permissible thing by be acquiring it and having it under one's care, provided that it does not belong to anyone.

Based on the above, we may say that there is nothing wrong with keeping cats which do not belong to anyone, on condition that one feeds them and does not torment them. But if it is proven that they cause some harm, such as if they are ill or one fears that they may transmit disease, then you should not keep them, because “there should be no harming nor reciprocating harm.” So whoever will be harmed by a cat’s presence should not keep one. Similarly, one who is not able to feed a cat should let it eat from the vermin of the earth and not keep it locked up, because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (3223) and Muslim (1507) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both), according to which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman was punished because of a cat which she kept locked up until it died, and she entered Hell because of it, because she did not feed it or give it water when she kept it locked up, neither did she let it eat from the vermin of the earth.” For more information see question no. 3004.

With regard to cats eating food or drinking water, that does not make the food or water naajis (impure), because of the report narrated in Sunan Abi Dawood and elsewhere, which says that a woman brought some hareesah (a kind of food) to ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) and found her praying. (‘Aa’ishah) gestured to her that she should put it down. Then a cat came and ate some of it. When ‘Aa’ishah had finished praying, she ate from where the cat had eaten and said, “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘They (cats) are not naajis (impure), rather they are among those who go around among you (al-tawwaafeena ‘alaykum).’ I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) doing wudoo’ with water from which a cat had drunk.”

According to another report narrated by Abu Dawood (68) from Kabshah bint Ka’b ibn Maalik, who was married to Ibn Abi Qutaadah, Abu Qutaadah entered and she poured some water for him to do wudoo’. A cat came and drank from the water, and he tipped the vessel for it so that it could drink. Kabshah said: “He saw me looking at him and he said, ‘Do you find it strange, O daughter of my brother?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “They (cats) are not naajis (impure), rather they are among those who go around among you (al-tawwaafeena ‘alaykum).”’” These two reports were classed as saheeh by al-Bukhaari, al-Daaraqutni and others, as was stated in al-Talkhees by Ibn Hajar, 1/15.

“Those who go around among you (al-tawwaafeena ‘alaykum)” means that they are like servants who are with people in their houses, i.e., cats are always with people, in their houses and among their vessels and furnishings, etc., and this is something that cannot be helped.

So if a cat drinks from a vessel or eats some of the food, it does not become naajis (impure). The owner has the choice. If he is not put off or if he needs it, he may eat (the food) or drink (the water), because it is taahir (pure), unless it is obvious that it will cause harm. If he is put off by the idea of eating or drinking, then he may leave it.

But we should point out here that what some people do, paying a great deal of attention to their cats and beautifying them, spending large amounts of money on them, is indicative of a lack of common sense and religious commitment, and exaggeration with regard to leisure, when there are millions of needy Muslims all over the world, let alone the fact that we Muslims should pay attention to making the best use of our time and filling it with worthwhile and beneficial pursuits, far removed from this folly which has come to us from the kaafir west where some people spend more on their cats and dogs than they spend on their own sons and daughters, let alone the poor and needy. They may even bring their pets to stay in fancy hotels and bequeath large amounts of money to them. Praise be to Allaah Who has honoured us with Islam and distinguished us from all the other nations.

We should also point out that selling cats is not allowed, as was narrated in Saheeh Muslim (2933) from Abu’l-Zubayr who said: “I asked Jaabir about the price of a dog or a cat. He said, ‘The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that.’” For more information see question no. 7004 and 10207.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Abdul25

Logical Believer
:salam2: sister Isra,

To get cleansed, the hadeeth is :-

Narrated Abu Huraira, Allah’s Messenger said: “The cleansing of the
utensil belonging to one of you, after it has been licked by a dog, is
to wash it seven times, using soil for cleaning the first time.” And in
a narration, “ he should spill out [its contents].”
Reported by Muslim

brother , if i can ask some thing, is it really necessary to wash hands 7 times and one of them being with soil, like in present time we have soaps and things that can remove najas in one washing, like if i wash my hands with some good soap or with anything that washes off najas in one washing, will it serve the purpose?
my understanding is that the basic purpose is to wash off the najas off the lets say hands, so if we have in present time good soaps and chemicals that serve the purpose, will it be ok , just want to confirm?

if i am wrong please correct me..
:wasalam:

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

brother , if i can ask some thing, is it really necessary to wash hands 7 times and one of them being with soil, like in present time we have soaps and things that can remove najas in one washing, like if i wash my hands with some good soap or with anything that washes off najas in one washing, will it serve the purpose?
my understanding is that the basic purpose is to wash off the najas off the lets say hands, so if we have in present time good soaps and chemicals that serve the purpose, will it be ok , just want to confirm?

if i am wrong please correct me..
:wasalam:

Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I once read the virtue on why we are asked to clean with seven times with water, one of which should be with soil - is in order to COMPLETELY let the naajis be washed of. Sometimes, when we wash something even with lots of water and using the most effective soap, the smell, the taste and colour still could exists. Thus, for a dog's liquid to be completely wiped off, one time soil + six time water is needed.

A related thread regarding cats and dogs :
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4292

Allaah knows best.

Wassalam.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I think that each animal should stay in its place.they are a cure against solitude and they make lot of company,but it is need an amount of money to take care for those animals which would be able to take care to themselves without the aid of humans.