question on Ramadan...its Urgent

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2: brothers and sisters,

I hope and pray that this reaches you in the best of health/imaan.

I was listening to the lecture posted by brother "theAuthenticBase" on Ramadan. The shaikh mentioned that a pregnant woman is supposed to feed a poor person for the days she did not fast. My sister is pregnant and was only able to fast five days (she is due next month)....How can she go about this?

Can somebody elaborate on this? Like does she have to invite a new person over for Iftar each day? give sadaqa to the masjid? (they do Ifars).....She wants to know more on this issue....your help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Sister, just to bring to your notice that a very handy and useful thread aptly titled '70 matters related to fasting (Ramadan)' has been added to sticky list just for this month. It has answers to most commonly asked questions regarding Ramadan.

Please refer to the following post of that thread for a brief explanation.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=365049&postcount=14

May Allah azz zawajal make it easy for your sister. Ameen

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum,

subhana'Allah....for some reason I am more confused after reading this:( I will take a break and re-read it later insha'Allah. Jazaka'Allah khair....and ameen to your dua!

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2: brothers and sisters,
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

There are two cases:

1) She makes up for the missed fasts, when she's able to i.e after pregnancy and when her child is able to take food other than the mother's milk.

2) She pays the ransom [stated by a number of the companions of the Prophet :saw:. This means giving half a saa’, which is equivalent to one and a half kilograms.] if she's got some permanent problem that keeps her from fasting. e.g Some people have low blood sugar, they faint if they don't get enough sugar from "external" sources for too long. Or very old people like my Grandma. She pays the ransom for each fasts she misses. ( Like in your sisters case she has to pay the ransom for 5 days if she's not able to make them up later. She's to feed any poor person or pay the money.

3) She makes up the fast AND pay the ransom. This was the view of Maalik, al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad said that he must feed a poor person, and they quoted as evidence for that the reports narrated from some of the Sahaabah such as Abu Hurayrah and Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them).

Imam Abu Haneefah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was of the view that he does not have to feed a poor person as well as making up the fasts.

He quoted as evidence the fact that Allaah commands the one who does not fast in Ramadaan only to make up the missed fasts, and He did not mention feeding a poor person. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

See al-Majmoo’, 6/366; al-Mughni, 4/400

This second view was also favoured by Imam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him). He said in his Saheeh:

Ibraaheem (i.e., al-Nakha’i) said: If a person neglects (to make up missed fasts) until the next Ramadaan comes, he should fast the missed days of both months. But he did not think that he has to feed a poor person. There was also a mursal report from Abu Hurayrah and Ibn ‘Abbaas which says that he should also feed a poor person. Then al-Bukhaari said: But Allaah does not mention feeding a poor person, rather He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, when noting that it is not obligatory to feed a poor person:

With regard to the words of the Sahaabah, their use as evidence is subject to further discussion if it goes against the apparent meaning of the Qur’aan. In this case, saying that it is obligatory to feed a poor person goes against the apparent meaning of the Qur’aan,

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/451.

Source

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum,

so basically, it is best that she makes up the fast instead since she is not chronically ill.....and that it is advised that she makes it up when she is able??

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

so basically, it is best that she makes up the fast instead since she is not chronically ill.....and that it is advised that she makes it up when she is able??

:wasalam:

Sister, the post that I linked above is very clear on the matter. But I see that you are still confused about the matter.

The answer depends on how your sister feels and her condition, so I don't think any one of us can give a clear cut answer. Maybe you can show the rulings to her and she can decide for herself. May Allah taala make it easy for her. Ameen

If you want a brief summary, then you might benefit from these parts of the post :-

Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was also asked in Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 162) about a pregnant women who fears for herself or her child, and does not fast - what is the ruling?

He replied by saying:

Our answer to this is that one of two scenarios must apply in the case of a pregnant woman.

The first is if she is healthy and strong, and does not find fasting difficult, and it does not affect her foetus. In this case the woman is obliged to fast, because she has no excuse not to do so.

The second is where the pregnant woman is not able to fast, either because the pregnancy is advanced or because she is physically weak, or for some other reason. In this case she should not fast, especially if her foetus is likely to be harmed, in which case it may be obligatory for her not to fast. If she does not fast, then like others who do not fast for a valid reason, she has to make up the days when that excuse no longer applies. When she gives birth, she has to make up those fasts after she becomes pure from nifaas. But sometimes the excuse of pregnancy may be lifted but then immediately followed by another excuse, namely breastfeeding. The breastfeeding mother may need food and drink, especially during the long summer days when it is very hot. So she may need not to fast so that she can nourish her child with her milk. In this case we also say to her: Do not fast, and when this excuse no longer applies, then you should make up the fasts that you have missed.

And ...

Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked in Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 161): If a pregnant woman or breastfeeding mother does not fast with no excuse, and she is strong and in good health, and is not affected by fasting, what is the ruling on that?

He replied:

It is not permissible for a pregnant woman or breastfeeding woman not to fast during the day in Ramadaan unless they have an excuse. If they do not fast because they have an excuse, then they have to make up the missed fasts, because Allaah says concerning one who is sick (interpretation of the meaning):

{and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days} [al-Baqarah 2:185]

Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers come under the same heading as those who are sick. If their excuse is that they fear for the child, then as well as making up the missed fasts, according to some scholars they also have to feed one poor person for each day missed, giving wheat, rice, dates or any other staple food. Some of the scholars said that all they have to do is make up the missed fasts, no matter what the situation, because there is no evidence in the Qur'aan or Sunnah for giving food in this case, and the basic principle is that there is no obligation unless proof of that is established. This is the view of Abu Haneefah (may Allaah have mercy on him) and it is a strong view.

Wasalaamalaykum

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:wasalam:

Sister, the post that I linked above is very clear on the matter. But I see that you are still confused about the matter.

The answer depends on how your sister feels and her condition, so I don't think any one of us can give a clear cut answer. Maybe you can show the rulings to her and she can decide for herself. May Allah taala make it easy for her. Ameen
Wasalaamalaykum

ahaha, yes akhi I was/am still confused...I guess I should just show her this so she can decide for herself! I like to explain things but how can I when I dont understand the situation ? insha'Allah she will benefit from this.....jazaka'Allah khair.

Ameen to your dua.....!