Questions Questions and even more Questions

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters here at TTI are in good health and strong in Iman!

I apologise right away to the poor admins of the website because in my circumstance I go away from the internet for weeks at a time and during that time I have experiences that bring up serious questions in my mind. Being that I have no internet access all of my questions must wait until I am available to be online. Now I have to make 3 separate threads with my questions so please bear with me and forgive me.

My first question deals with the story of Soloman and the ants!!! I guess thats why my husband is worried about killing ants that appear in our home!!!

We live in a very hot desert climate so we happen to have a huge problem with ants inside our house. They are the little black ones and sometimes the tiny brown ones. I know they are not dangerous but they are very annoying! I dont feel like eating ants! Anyway I mentioned to my husband we could put poison down to keep the ants away which we have done. It seems to break my husbands heart everytime he finds the ants dead because he always says "May Allah forgive me" when he sees them. I dont share the same sentiment with my husband and I hope that doesnt mean I am hard hearted but in my mind its the ants or me! I dont know why exactly I feel that way so I thought I better ask my brothers and sisters if they know ..... IS IT PERMISSABLE TO KILL INSECTS in the house if they are an annoyance and not dangerous? My husband isnt sure and neither am I but neither of us want to do anything that goes against Islam.

Please advice!

JenGiove

As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters here at TTI are in good health and strong in Iman!

I apologise right away to the poor admins of the website because in my circumstance I go away from the internet for weeks at a time and during that time I have experiences that bring up serious questions in my mind. Being that I have no internet access all of my questions must wait until I am available to be online. Now I have to make 3 separate threads with my questions so please bear with me and forgive me.

My first question deals with the story of Soloman and the ants!!! I guess thats why my husband is worried about killing ants that appear in our home!!!

We live in a very hot desert climate so we happen to have a huge problem with ants inside our house. They are the little black ones and sometimes the tiny brown ones. I know they are not dangerous but they are very annoying! I dont feel like eating ants! Anyway I mentioned to my husband we could put poison down to keep the ants away which we have done. It seems to break my husbands heart everytime he finds the ants dead because he always says "May Allah forgive me" when he sees them. I dont share the same sentiment with my husband and I hope that doesnt mean I am hard hearted but in my mind its the ants or me! I dont know why exactly I feel that way so I thought I better ask my brothers and sisters if they know ..... IS IT PERMISSABLE TO KILL INSECTS in the house if they are an annoyance and not dangerous? My husband isnt sure and neither am I but neither of us want to do anything that goes against Islam.

Please advice!

:) I'm just on a roll today... :)

Can harmful insects be killed by burning them?

Is it permissible to kill insects that may be found in the house, such as ants, cockroaches and the like, by burning them? If it is not permissible, what should we do?

If these insects are harmful, they may be killed with insecticides, but not with fire. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are five pests that may be killed whether one is in ihraam or not: rats, scorpions, crows, kites [a hawk-like bird], and mad dogs.” (Reported by Muslim, 2071). Another report adds a sixth, snakes. Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that they are harmful pests, and that they are unlike other animals which do not do harm, and so he told us to kill them whether we are in ihraam or not. If other creatures, such as ants or cockroaches or dung-beetles, cause harm, they may also be killed with insecticides, but not with fire. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa Islaamiyaah, Ibn Baaz, 451.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3005/killing insects

Perseveranze

I feel for you, I sometimes find spiders in my room and just conveniantly catch it (with tissue) then throw it outside.

Not sure how your going to deal with all those ants though...

Isra

aka Tree2008
Jazakallah khairan for your responses. Sister JenGiove you really ARE on a roll today :lol:

Im not sure the ants could actually be considered "dangerous" but the though of them having a chance to get into my food and possibly eating them is very undesirable to me!!!!

As brother Perseveranze suggested taking the annoying insect outside using a tissue or other means yes I agree in most cases and when it is just one insect........no problem but as you may or may not know the ants come in gangs!!!! :lol: So yeah its pretty much impossible to simply remove them!

I pray Allah will forgive me and my husband but I think we will stick with the poison!

Idris16

I thought about sharing this hadîth with you. Bismillâh

hadith09arabic.gif
Abu Hurairah 'Abd al-Rahman bin Sakhr, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam, say:

“Avoid that which I forbid you to do and do that which I command you to do to the best of your capacity. Verily the people before you were destroyed only because of their excessive questioning and their disagreement with their Prophets.” [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Read explanation: http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadith09.htm

Isra

aka Tree2008

hadith09arabic.gif
Abu Hurairah 'Abd al-Rahman bin Sakhr, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam, say:

“Avoid that which I forbid you to do and do that which I command you to do to the best of your capacity. Verily the people before you were destroyed only because of their excessive questioning and their disagreement with their Prophets.” [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

As salamo alaikome brother.

I dont want to jump to any kind of judgement and I pray Allah will forgive me for what I am thinking right now and bless me with patience. I pray that you are not providing me with this information because of the fact that I have posted 3 questions today.

If you are posting this in referrence to my excessive questions please let me remind you that at the beginning of this very post here I asked everyone to please excuse me because I have to post all of my questions on the same day due to having a lack of internet access except on the weekends. I just want to make it clear that I am not in any way trying to argue about the Prophets (SAW) rulings and quite the contrary because by questioning I am actually asking what is permissable in Islam so as NOT to go against the Prophets (SAW) teachings.

I thought Islam teaches its reverts that they SHOULD ask questions so as to practice the religion properly and to the best of their ability? So forgive me brother but if my questions should bother you please dont read anymore posts that have my name on them. May Allah forgive me if I have done or said anything wrong and I ask your forgiveness if I have in any way misunderstood your intentions with this post of yours.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sister,

I just did a really quick search for "Ants and Bacteria' thinking that they may carry disease etc....low and behold! They actually produce fugus fighting antibiotics in their bodies! WHO KNEW!

http://www.biology-blog.com/blogs/permalinks/1-2006/relationship-between-ants-and-bacteria.html

Thanks again sister Jen for coming to the rescue with more information than I originally had!!!! I had no idea about the disgusting bacteria the ants were carrying around and my only motive for killing them was to keep them out of my food so that I dont need to eat them!!!! But I can certainly say this makes me feel much better about killing the small creatures!

JenGiove

Thanks again sister Jen for coming to the rescue with more information than I originally had!!!! I had no idea about the disgusting bacteria the ants were carrying around and my only motive for killing them was to keep them out of my food so that I dont need to eat them!!!! But I can certainly say this makes me feel much better about killing the small creatures!

Sister...one of us needs to reread something again...I just don't know who...lol! I said that they were carrying ANTI-biotics to fight fungus....

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sister...one of us needs to reread something again...I just don't know who...lol! I said that they were carrying ANTI-biotics to fight fungus....

Ohhhhhhhhhh :shymuslima1: dont I feel stupid just about now????!!!! :lol:

Isra

aka Tree2008
ROTFL! don't be.....I've done it so many times my eyes are red from all the sand in my eyes as I hide my head in shame...lol!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I dont think I would go that far!!! It takes alot to embarrass me that much! But seriously I did read your original post wrong and to make matters even worse I actually clicked on the link that you posted and read the headline to THAT wrong too!!!!!!! Now thats a double whammy!!!!!!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We are encouraged to seek knowledge. We can ask and ask and ask. If we go back to the hadeeths there are many who would pose the same question three times.
As Islam is complete way of living we can ask such that we do not fall into ignorance.

Given, that we have to be careful. I do not wish to upset anyone but a non-Muslim person can not give correct answers. The answers do not provide a reference point from a Muslim perspective.

Isra

aka Tree2008
We are encouraged to seek knowledge. We can ask and ask and ask. If we go back to the hadeeths there are many who would pose the same question three times.
As Islam is complete way of living we can ask such that we do not fall into ignorance.

Jazakallah khairan

This was my way of thinking as well. I only apologise that all of my questions must be posted on the same day due to my internet access so although it might be inconvenient for some to read all of my annoying questions I assure everyone they are valid questions and I post them only with the intention of honest answers from Hadith!

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

hadith09arabic.gif

BaarakAllaahu feek for the reminder. If you posted this hadeeth trying to remind the poster of the question, then this is not the correct place to post it akhee. Remember to give da`wah to people with wisdom and most importantly based on knowledge.

Isra

aka Tree2008
a non-Muslim person can not give correct answers. The answers do not provide a reference point from a Muslim perspective.

As salamo alaikome

I cant stop thinking about this post. I just realized that the information given to me on this thread was provided by a member of TTI who is a non-Muslim. Maybe a non Muslim cannot provide answers with a reference point from a Muslim perspective but if the answers are coming from a Muslim website such as Islamqa and the link to the actual answer is also provided then why can I not accept they are from a Muslim perspective? In that case it shouldnt matter who provided the link to the answer if the website has answers providing hadith or fatwa as proof. That is my opinion anyway. May Allah forgive me if I am wrong.

Also I find it rather interesting that when a Muslim posted to my question instead of answering my question that Muslim chose to let me know that by asking my question I was an annoyance. To me that speaks volumns! Very interesting when you think about it right?

The answer stays the same whether the person providing the link is Muslim or non Muslim. The only thing that should matter is if the answer is Islamically correct and there is proof of hadith or fatwa attached.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
As salamo alaikome

I cant stop thinking about this post. I just realized that the information given to me on this thread was provided by a member of TTI who is a non-Muslim. Maybe a non Muslim cannot provide answers with a reference point from a Muslim perspective but if the answers are coming from a Muslim website such as Islamqa and the link to the actual answer is also provided then why can I not accept they are from a Muslim perspective? In that case it shouldnt matter who provided the link to the answer if the website has answers providing hadith or fatwa as proof. That is my opinion anyway. May Allah forgive me if I am wrong.

Also I find it rather interesting that when a Muslim posted to my question instead of answering my question that Muslim chose to let me know that by asking my question I was an annoyance. To me that speaks volumns! Very interesting when you think about it right?

The answer stays the same whether the person providing the link is Muslim or non Muslim. The only thing that should matter is if the answer is Islamically correct and there is proof of hadith or fatwa attached.

:salam2: Sister,

I totally agree with you Sister, but at the same time I also agree with Sister Aapa. I think she was referring to answers given by non-Muslims that are based on their opinion or understanding. But when it comes to answers that are just copy and paste from a reliable Islamic website, especially if the question is very similar to your own, there should be no problem in that.

Regarding your "questions, questions, and more questions", keep them coming. You will never learn if you don't ask. Also, other readers will learn from your questions.

As you can see above, the reply of one of the moderators (may Allah reward him) shows that you are not an annoyance at all.

With regards to Sister JenGiove, we thank her very much for her input. We also ask Allah to guide her and show her the light.

:salam2:

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2: Sister,

I totally agree with you Sister, but at the same time I also agree with Sister Aapa. I think she was referring to answers given by non-Muslims that are based on their opinion or understanding. But when it comes to answers that are just copy and paste from a reliable Islamic website, especially if the question is very similar to your own, there should be no problem in that.

Regarding your "questions, questions, and more questions", keep them coming. You will never learn if you don't ask. Also, other readers will learn from your questions.

As you can see above, the reply of one of the moderators (may Allah reward him) shows that you are not an annoyance at all.

With regards to Sister JenGiove, we thank her very much for her input. We also ask Allah to guide her and show her the light.

:salam2:

Someone wise once told me "There are 3 sides to every story: Your side, My side and the truth". Jazakallah khairan dear brother you said what was in my heart to say but you said it better.