Brothers quranic verse

romel-s-here

O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them… “[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:1]

please explain what it means exactly??? does it means we should not make friendship to non muslims??

mikepan68

* v.1 : Lit., “and your enemies” – implying that people who deliberately reject God’s messages are ipso facto inimical to those who believe in them.

* Historically, this is a reference to the forced emigration of the Prophet and his followers from Mecca to Medina. In a more general sense, however, it is an allusion to the potential persecution of believers of all times by “those who are bent on denying the truth,” i.e., those who are averse to religious beliefs as such.

* As is shown in verses 7-9, this prohibition of taking unbelievers for friends relates only to such of them as are actively hostile towards the believers (cf. 58:22 and the corresponding note 29).

http://www.altafsir.com/ViewTransla...h=0&Language=2&LanguageID=1&TranslationBook=7