Randomly opening the Quran

Precious Star

I'm really sad and depressed during Ramadan. I continue to make dua day and night but I also know that I've been making the same dua for years. After so much heartbreak I think it is apparent that I have Allah's answer. So I was sitting in my home alone as always, and looking for answers to my life. I read some Quran. I then decide to try that age-old trick of opening the Quran at a completely random spot and seeing if it means anything.

So I open it at the start of sura al-Hijr. I start reading it and it speaks of Allah's signs to the disbelievers and believers. Then, at 15.51 -15.56 it says,

15.51. Inform them about the guests of Abraham.

15.52. They presented themselves before him and bade him peace. Abraham said: "We are apprehensive of you. "

15.53. They said: "Do not be apprehensive. We have brought you the glad tidings of a boy to be endowed with profound knowledge. "

15.54. He said: "Do you bring me glad tidings when old age has overtaken me? Then how can you bring me such glad tidings?"

15.55. They said: "We have brought you the glad tidings with truth, so be not of those who despair. "

What do you think this means? Do you think Allah is trying to tell me that I may get married and have a son, that this Ramadan He will answer my prayers?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

I don't know but I surely thought what you thought. I was Smiling ear to ear after having read the third verse. Ukht, am I getting excited over nothing or are we about to CELEBRATE!

Anyway, whatever it is, Jazaakillaahu khayraa for the thread. I haven't had a genuine smile relax my muscles and lighten my heart from the last two days [almost]. I ask Allaah sobhanuhu wa ta'ala to make it true and benefit you in duniya and `Akhira.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaykum :)

aww thats so beautiful :) I do not know what it means but like sister Seeking Allah's mercy said, this brings SMILE to my face and I can see the mercy of Allah and how He hears our Dua! SubhanaAllah <3 May Allah accept your dua and I will keep you in mine. I am happy for you, it is always a pleasant surprise to see how the Qur'an answers to us when we least expect it---how Allah responds to us in a way thats so touching! Alhamdulillah :)

Precious Star

Thank u my sisters. Thank you for giving me hope, even if it is false hope. So many sorrows, so much darkness, so much hurt in my life by people whom i believed cared about me...so many signs that my prayers will NOT be answered.

Such a simpe thing, to open the Quran and look for answers.

Thank you.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
The Shaikh, the Imaam, the Allaamah, the Shaikh of Islaam, Abul-Faraj Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Ali ibn Muhammad ibn al-Jawzi, said:

“I have reflected over an interesting situation: that a calamity may befall a believer and so he supplicates, going to great lengths in doing so, but he sees no sign of an answer. So when despair comes close, at that time his heart is looked at, thus if it is acceptant of the [many] decrees of fate, not having despaired of Allaah the Mighty and Majestic’s Bounty, then in most cases at that time the response is hastened, for it is there that eemaan is qualified, and the devil vanquished, and it is there that a man’s worth is shown.

And this has been alluded to in His Saying, the Most High, “… until [even their] messenger and those who believed with him said, “When is the help of Allaah?” [Baqarah 2:214]. And likewise is what happened to Ya’qoob عليه السلام, for when he lost a son and the situation went on for a long time, he did not despair–and then his other son was taken, but his hope in his Lord’s Bounty that, “… perhaps Allaah will bring them to me all together …” [Yusuf 12:83] still did not cut off. And likewise Zakariya عليه السلام said, “… and never have I been in my supplication to You, my Lord, unhappy [i.e., disappointed].” [Maryam 19:3]

So beware of considering as too long the time for a prayer to be answered!

And look to the fact that He is the Sovereign Lord/the Absolute King of the entire universe, and that He is the All-Wise in that which He plans, and the One who knows what is of benefit [to you], and that He wants to examine you in order to test your concealed mettle, and that He wants to see your earnest supplication, and that He wants to reward you for your patience, and other such purposes.

In addition to that, He is testing you by delaying the response to your supplication so that you can fight Iblis’ whisperings and wicked insinuations–and every one of these things strengthens [one’s] belief in His Bounty, and obligates being thankful to Him–for He, by testing you with the trial, prepared you to turn to ask Him.

And the distressed person’s destitution/poverty in having to turn to Him is total and utter affluence.”

Saidul-Khaatir, pp. 227-228.

Taken from here

Read: http://www.qsep.com/books/difficulties.html

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
I'm really sad and depressed during Ramadan. I continue to make dua day and night but I also know that I've been making the same dua for years. After so much heartbreak I think it is apparent that I have Allah's answer. So I was sitting in my home alone as always, and looking for answers to my life. I read some Quran. I then decide to try that age-old trick of opening the Quran at a completely random spot and seeing if it means anything.

So I open it at the start of sura al-Hijr. I start reading it and it speaks of Allah's signs to the disbelievers and believers. Then, at 15.51 -15.56 it says,

15.51. Inform them about the guests of Abraham.

15.52. They presented themselves before him and bade him peace. Abraham said: "We are apprehensive of you. "

15.53. They said: "Do not be apprehensive. We have brought you the glad tidings of a boy to be endowed with profound knowledge. "

15.54. He said: "Do you bring me glad tidings when old age has overtaken me? Then how can you bring me such glad tidings?"

15.55. They said: "We have brought you the glad tidings with truth, so be not of those who despair. "

What do you think this means? Do you think Allah is trying to tell me that I may get married and have a son, that this Ramadan He will answer my prayers?

Salam aleikum

Inshallah He will answer your prayers, with one answer that will make all your waiting worth it.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

MashAllah dear sister " Precious star".: ) That is very good news Alhamdulilah and maybe good and positive sign from Allah subhanahu wa teala, InshAllah.

I pray Allah accept your dua during this month InshAllah.

May Allah give you what is the best for you and all of us.Ameen summa Ameen

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

What's this 'age-old' trick?

Doesn't sound like it's as old as the Sahaabah or the Salaf, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any basis for using the Qur'aan in this manner?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamu'alaykum,

What's this 'age-old' trick?

Doesn't sound like it's as old as the Sahaabah or the Salaf, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any basis for using the Qur'aan in this manner?

It's what some people do, when their hearts screams out of misery or depression, they run towards the Qur'an, open it at any page and start reading. At times, the verses are exactly as if revealed now for that person and that situation.

when I was a lot more foolish [Not that I'm not now, don't get me wrong] I used to do that. And I would end up hugging the Qur'an because the ayah were so fantastically related. However, I told my aunty about it, and she said it happened to her too but that she didn't think it a right practice. She said the Qur'an isn't for this purpose. It was her view. I don't know what the scholars have to say about it, but what she said made sense to me. Allaah knows best.
I stopped treating the Qur'an like that Alhumdulillah.

Precious Star

thanks to everyone who has responded.

This is the first time I have treated the Quran this way. I know others have turned to the Quran when they have been seeking answers to... life.

I am at a point where my life's "worst case scenario" has come true. That is the answer to my dua - "no" -- that certain things I want and need to be fulfilled, will not happen because the exact opposite has slowly been happening.

But its Ramadan and surely, Allah may have some mercy on me?

So, I tried it. It was random. And, perhaps the "answer" is random too, and doesn't mean anything. I've been disappointed before.

I'll keep you posted if my life changes.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:salam:
I was thinking of this thread for a while, then today I came across it.

I was worried about the practise described here. It is recommended in a modern Sufi book I had for a while, and I heard of this practise from sihr (magic), so I was worried about what was written here. Alhamdulillah I read the posts again and I think my worries were (mostly) unfounded. There are ways from the Sunnah to deal with difficulties, so it is better to keep away from practises about which there is doubt.

Importantly, I hope those difficulties are in the past for the sister who posted. May Allah keep us all safe from the tricks of the shayateen, and keep us to the straight path. Ameen

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Wa`alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh wa maghfirotuh,

While I wholeheartedly agree that this practice is not something prescribed in the sunnah, I however believe Allaah works in wonders when it comes to healing us. Healing His Creations. Sometimes Allaah sends us someone as a means to get us out from the difficulties - with His Permissions. Sometimes Allaah directs us to a specific ayaat in the Qur`an that suits the situation we are going through as to soothe us - with His Permissions.

It is however incorrect for us to read the Qur`an with the intention that Allaah will direct us to a specific ayaat related to our current hardships. Because every ayaat in the Qur`an serve as a shifaa`.

I have personally experienced such thing but I do not hold it as something that needs to be practiced as what Brother Hassan has mentioned, there are ways prescribed in the Sunnah on how to deal with our calamities.

If you don't mind elaborating a bit more, in what ways did the Sufi practiced/s it? And is the black magic used with the Qur`an?

May Allaah protects us from that which displeases him. Aameen.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
If you don't mind elaborating a bit more, in what ways did the Sufi practiced/s it? And is the black magic used with the Qur`an?
wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

There is a page on wikipedia that describes the practise, and gives a lot more background than I was aware of: Bibliomancy
The book I had used poetry of Rumi and but would seem to be similar to Fāl-e Ḥafez described on that page. Astaghfirullah.
I do not have that book any more.

That is not the best site to use as evidence, I know, but it is the most reliable one I found about the practise. I noticed they file the page under 'Divination' and 'Occult' that should be enough reason to avoid it. If there is evidence from the Sunnah which allows this, I am not aware of it.

Allah knows best

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

It took me a while to find the exact fatwa, but I knew I'd read about this on Islamqa somewhere. Here's the daleel:

With regard to the second part of your question, about letting the Qur’aan be your guidance:
If you mean using it for divination, like astrology, this is haraam. One of the innovated ways in which people do this is to open the Mus-haf at random, and if their gaze falls on an aayah which speaks of mercy or reward, they think this means that what they want to do is good! And if they see an aayah which speaks of punishment, they think that what they want to do is bad. There is no basis for this in the religion; this is one of the ways in which the shayaateen (devils) misguide the believing slaves of Allaah.
But if what you mean by letting the Qur’aan be your guidance is following it and acting in accordance with its rulings, this is the way to achieve true happiness, and there is no happiness apart from through this, which is adherence to the Qur’aan and Sunnah. This is the only way for mankind to be guided and saved by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection. Concerning this Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):
“This is the Book (the Qur’aan), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqoon [the pious]” [al-Baqarah 2:2]
“Verily, this Qur’aan guides to that which is most just and right” [al-Israa’ 17:9]
And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6585/mus haf random

Precious Star

I am the one who started this thread. As an update, no nothing has changed in my life and no new doors have opened. In fact, a lot of sad things have happened since I started the thread last August 2012.

Oh well.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
I am the one who started this thread. As an update, no nothing has changed in my life and no new doors have opened. In fact, a lot of sad things have happened since I started the thread last August 2012.

Oh well.

Salaam,

I don't you sis but are you practicing the deen properly?

Precious Star

Salaam,

I don't you sis but are you practicing the deen properly?

What do you mean by "practicing the deen properly" ? Are you asking if I am a bad muslim? Only Allah SWT knows the answer to that question. As to everything else I try my best, just like everyone else on this forum.